PDA

View Full Version : Qualies REports???

njguido11
Aug 25th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Is there any place besised usopen.org to read some reports from qualies??? I know tennis.info starts in a few day but any other websites?? ANyone on the board go see some tennis today would be great to read a report?

Chris_G
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I was there yesterday, so I'll have some match reports (mostly men) and pictures (mostly women) up pretty soon at On The Line (www.tennis-ontheline.com). I saw parts of a bunch of the women's matches, but Domachowska vs. Remynse was the only one I took actual notes during. This is the first tournament I've attended with a digital camera, so during the 11 AM matches I was basically hopping from court to court testing it out.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 25th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I was there yesterday, so I'll have some match reports (mostly men) and pictures (mostly women) up pretty soon at On The Line (http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/). I saw parts of a bunch of the women's matches, but Domachowska vs. Remynse was the only one I took actual notes during. This is the first tournament I've attended with a digital camera, so during the 11 AM matches I was basically hopping from court to court testing it out.
Thanks:) Did you see Mo Drake or Cory Ann Avants playing? How were they hitting? And did their tempers stay in check;)

Chris_G
Aug 25th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Maureen was tucked away on Court 15 and I ended up not seeing her at all. The play seemed fairly sloppy in the brief parts I caught of the Avants-Uberoi match. Cory Ann kept yelling her own name at herself. Right after she came off the court, she told Kristen Schlukebir, "I almost choked that one away." She was really nice with the fans who gathered around at the end. A little kid asked for her autograph and Cory Ann asked, "How old are you, sweetie?"

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 25th, 2004, 09:05 PM
A little kid asked for her autograph and Cory Ann asked, "How old are you, sweetie?"
That is so Cory Ann...she's such a southern doll...thanks:)

Chris_G
Aug 25th, 2004, 09:56 PM
The photo gallery is up now. If you ever wanted to know what Mervana Jugic-Salkic and Katerina Bohmova look like, it's your lucky day. :)

pcrtennis
Aug 25th, 2004, 10:04 PM
The photo gallery is up now. If you ever wanted to know what Mervana Jugic-Salkic and Katerina Bohmova look like, it's your lucky day. :)

The picture of Angelique Widjaja is actually a picture of Suchanan Viratprasert... :o

Chris_G
Aug 25th, 2004, 10:11 PM
The picture of Angelique Widjaja is actually a picture of Suchanan Viratprasert... :o
Ack, you're right! I'm an idiot. It's fixed now.

njguido11
Aug 26th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Salzenstein is a stud.

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:37 AM
I watched Cory Ann's entire match yesterday. Cory served bigger than I have ever seen her serve. She had a bunch of aces and a bunch of service winners. However, she also had a bunch of double faults. Right now Cory has a tendency to over hit her backhand and as a result a lot of shots go long. She is thinking too much. Cory, as is normal with her, was yeling at herself all match long. A few times she yelled about calls. She was up 5-2 with 2 breaks and had to make it interesting by losing the next 2 games. She then held serve to win. This is what made her say to Kristen, whom I was talking to to at the time, "I almost choked that one away."

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I've watched all or parts of several matches the past two days. I'll try to give some reports. If there is someone specific you want to know about, let me know and I'll tell what I know if is saw it.

One thing I'll say off the bat is that Nicole Vaidisova just rolled. The first set was over in like 15 minutes and the match was over in like 40 minutes. Nicole was hitting on all cylinders. SHe was serving well, painting lines, volleying well.

Ana Ivanovic had the match on her racket, serving for the match at 5-4 in the 3rd. She got broke at 30 in the next game and then lost the match by being broken at love. Ana played pretty well but had trouble consolidating breaks.

njguido11
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:45 AM
What was up with Kristin today? Usually even in losses shes close seems like she got blown out? Did you see any of the young american wcs? Glatch, fansler etc. THanks for the info on cory ann

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:46 AM
This has nothing to do with womens tennis but it is a note from bizzarro world. At qualifying today, Richard Gasquet of France was arrested on court and taken off in handcuffs. He hit a linesman in the face with his racket, leaving a welt on the linesman face. He is being charged with assault. Michael Russell was awarded the match.

rated_next
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Gasquet :eek:

houseoflords ... a report on all the matches will be appreciated ;)

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Tuesday Match Reports

Maret Ani served big against Hanna Nooni. She got a lot of free points off her serve. Hanna had plenty of chances to break in both sets. On break points, Ani always seemed to come up with a big serve or Hanna hit a shot long. Hanna hit a lot of shots long. She was overhitting a lot. Her ankle injury from last week wasn't a factor. She moved really well. Hanna lost her focus after a few questionable line calls on Ani serves in the first set.

I only saw the end of the Sfar-Fujiwara match. Fujiwara moonballed Sfar to death. Sfar eventually got rustrated and missed shots. Fujiwara also came in a lot during her service games.

Marta Domachowska looked good. She was never really challenged by Remynse. SHe controlled the points.

The young American Alexa Glatch impressed me. She had alot more power than I expected. Her groundstroks were solid. She served pretty well and handled the moment really well.

I saw the very end of the Peer-Nakamura match. It was a battle of wills. Peer had a sizeable lead in the third but Nakamura battled back and had a chance to win the match but Peer battled through.

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:45 AM
More Wednesday Reports

Nuria Llagostera Vives was solid. She had astretch in the 2nd set where she nearly self-destructed. SHe blew a 5-2 lead but battled to win 7-5 in the second. Pelletier battled to the end but she made just too many errors.

Nathalie Vierin just ran over Kristen Schlukebir. She came out flying and never stopped. Kristen couldn't get anything to go her way. Vierin ran everything down and was consistent in all aspects of her game.

Alyona Bondarenko won rather quickly. She was dominant in the first set, completely controlling every phase of the match. I left and by the time I came back the match was over.

Anna-Lena Groenfeld was never challenged by Adriana Barna. Anna was just to good. Barna was all over the place. Anna was steady and kept the ball in play and in many cases let Barna self implode.

Young Sarah Fansler gave a galant effort against veteran Barbara Rittner. Sarah won the 1st set 604 playing very well. She ran everything down and hit a lot of winners off her groundstroles. The second set was a struggle for both. The set started off with 4 straight breaks. It was tight the whole way but Rittner got the break and fought of several break points to hold onto the second set. The 3rd set was all Rittner. Sarah was out of gas and Barbara smartly ran around causing Sarah to try and end the points early. This usually ended with Sarah committing an unforced error.

rated_next
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:51 AM
thank you so much :worship:

PatM04
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Did anyone see any of Sammy's match? Not that I want to hear about it because I am sure it was an error fest but I am just curious. Thanks so much:)

njguido11
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Did anyone see any of Sammy's match? Not that I want to hear about it because I am sure it was an error fest but I am just curious. Thanks so much:)

Yea whatsup with her. she must be so frustrated she lost to a clay courter 2 and got pretty much killed. hopefully she gets her shit together soon

pcrtennis
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Can somone please watch Fujiwara/Avants tomorrow!!?? Tell me how Rika is playing!! Also whoever is interested in watching:

Yoshida
Hisamatsu
Liu
Widjaja
That would be great if someone could watch part of one of these matches!!!!

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Don't worry, I'll be at the Avants/Fujiwara match. If Cory Ann's playing, you can be sure that I'll be there

pcrtennis
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Don't worry, I'll be at the Avants/Fujiwara match. If Cory Ann's playing, you can be sure that I'll be there

Hey great!!! Thanks! I saw Avants play earlier this year and was very impressed! Can you write about the match when you get back? That would be much appreciated!! :bounce: :worship:

Thanks!

crazillo
Aug 26th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Did you see Roesch, Topalova, Bacheva and Tu?

Kaelin
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I'm at us open too but I'm too lazy to write reports:angel:
I especially follow asians.

I didn't see Rika moonballing for my part: she played very aggressive, coming often to the net to finish points and did also great passing shots.

Yuka Yoshida played as good as she could with her non-powered game, had real fighting spirit (as Martina) and made very few errors in first and third sets. Her serve also improved a lot.

Nan-Nan Liu and Shiho Hisamatsu had absolutely no contest: Cristina played AWFULL making errors at the first ball most of the time and Nan-Nan was moving very well. Her next match against Gerhlein, who played a very tense match against Nemeckova, will be far more difficult. Shiho overpowered(:eek: ) Karolina who was just here for fun I guess.

The match between Widjaja and Viratprasert was very good: Angie seemed a little more aggressive and powerfull.

Aiko is very consistent from baseline and hits long but always miss the easy balls in center courts when she just has to finish points:sad: . But she also found very good angles:) .

Vania King is also asian, from USA: she played solid from baseline but Camille was running on everything.

Lilia Osterloh had a huge fighting spirit and made a lot of points with her forehand.

Yan-Ze was too passive against Beltrame who has a real beautiful attack game, especially with her one hand backhand.

Shuai was a little disappointing against Rodionova but all credits to the russian who played really aggressive. She was also funny to watch and hear; on a serve she was seing fault, the judge said "on the line" and she answered " yep, on the baseline"!

Tu played as disappointing as always making one great point for 6 horrible UE, with at least one double by serve game( if not 3 in a row).

Jewell Peterson, who plays 2 hands on each side, was also doing pretty well from baseline against Kloesel who was looking for fast points too often.

Stephanie Foretz played very consistent and aggressive from baseline and overpowered Prusova.

That's it:o

crazillo
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:41 AM
About Osterloh: was it a good match?? It seemed pretty tight for a 2-setter!

Kaelin
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Actually, it was during Xie/Beltrame on the neighbour court that I was following.
As I saw, the points weren't easy to finish but Lilia was more aggressive.

Grachka
Aug 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Did anyone see Elena Baltacha's opening match? ;)

Or Jane O'Donoghue's?

kiel
Aug 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Anyone saw Nanda Alves/Asa Svensson?Any report? :confused:

Kuti Kis&Monica
Aug 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM
And about the Rita's self-destructing match ? :sad: Kuti Kis/Schruff ?

vutt
Aug 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Tuesday Match Reports

Maret Ani served big against Hanna Nooni. She got a lot of free points off her serve. Hanna had plenty of chances to break in both sets. On break points, Ani always seemed to come up with a big serve or Hanna hit a shot long. Hanna hit a lot of shots long. She was overhitting a lot. Her ankle injury from last week wasn't a factor. She moved really well. Hanna lost her focus after a few questionable line calls on Ani serves in the first set.
Thanks for the report :worship:

King Aaron
Aug 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reports. :D

rated_next
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
thanks nicolas :) :)

hope you're having fun

Experimentee
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
This has nothing to do with womens tennis but it is a note from bizzarro world. At qualifying today, Richard Gasquet of France was arrested on court and taken off in handcuffs. He hit a linesman in the face with his racket, leaving a welt on the linesman face. He is being charged with assault. Michael Russell was awarded the match.

Richard :eek:
Can you provide more details about this? Why did he hit the linesman? Pissed off with a call or something? He is the new John McEnroe, but a step further, instead of getting DQ he gets arrested! :lol:

kfh_9118
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the report, Nicolas :)

Please forward my regards to Angie if you have a chance to speak to her :)

houseoflords
Aug 26th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I'm only gonna have two match repors today. An event in the first match rally affected me and I didn't feel like staying around

The Avants/Fujiwara match was a battle to the end. It was a match neither player seemed to want to win. In the first set Rika just let kept the ball in play and let Cory Ann make errors. Rika wn the first et 6-3. The second set was all Cory Ann. Cory Ann cruised to a 6-1 set win. She ran Rika around and got her first serve in a lot. The 3rd set, noone wanted to claim. Rika broke Cory Ann in the first game and was up 3-1 when Cory Ann won 4 straight games. The 4th of which was a long hard fought game. Rika had 5 game points and Cory Ann finally broke on her 6th break point. Cory Ann then went up 40-0 in her service game. Cory got tight. She double faulted at 40-15. Rika got it to deuce and then Cory Ann had another match point. For some reason, she tried to hit her first drop shot of the match and hit it into the net. Rika battled and broke Cory Ann. Rika wno the next 2 games to go up 6-5 and serve for the match. Then Rika got tight. She was down 15-40 when Cory Ann stretched for a shot and went down in a heap with a serious shoulder injury, looked like a dislocation. Cory screamed in agony and kicked her legs. Rika was one of the first people to run over and check on her. Cory Ann laid on the gorund for a good 10-15 minutes. Cory Ann couldn't continue. There was a great moment after the match when Cory in tears hugged Kristen Schlukebir. The crowd gave Cory a standing ovation as she walked off. I have gotten to know Cory Ann rather well the past two weeks and seeing her injured like this just broke my heart and put me in a sad mood. I hope everything works out for her.

The other match I saw didn't lst very long. Once again, Nicole Vaidisova hardly broke a sweat. She steamrolled Galina Voskoboeva 6-1, 6-0. Nicole served very well and hit a ton of winners. Galina had no answers

njguido11
Aug 26th, 2004, 09:56 PM
I'm only gonna have two match repors today. An event in the first match rally affected me and I didn't feel like staying around

The Avants/Fujiwara match was a battle to the end. It was a match neither player seemed to want to win. In the first set Rika just let kept the ball in play and let Cory Ann make errors. Rika wn the first et 6-3. The second set was all Cory Ann. Cory Ann cruised to a 6-1 set win. She ran Rika around and got her first serve in a lot. The 3rd set, noone wanted to claim. Rika broke Cory Ann in the first game and was up 3-1 when Cory Ann won 4 straight games. The 4th of which was a long hard fought game. Rika had 5 game points and Cory Ann finally broke on her 6th break point. Cory Ann then went up 40-0 in her service game. Cory got tight. She double faulted at 40-15. Rika got it to deuce and then Cory Ann had another match point. For some reason, she tried to hit her first drop shot of the match and hit it into the net. Rika battled and broke Cory Ann. Rika wno the next 2 games to go up 6-5 and serve for the match. Then Rika got tight. She was down 15-40 when Cory Ann stretched for a shot and went down in a heap with a serious shoulder injury, looked like a dislocation. Cory screamed in agony and kicked her legs. Rika was one of the first people to run over and check on her. Cory Ann laid on the gorund for a good 10-15 minutes. Cory Ann couldn't continue. There was a great moment after the match when Cory in tears hugged Kristen Schlukebir. The crowd gave Cory a standing ovation as she walked off. I have gotten to know Cory Ann rather well the past two weeks and seeing her injured like this just broke my heart and put me in a sad mood. I hope everything works out for her.

The other match I saw didn't lst very long. Once again, Nicole Vaidisova hardly broke a sweat. She steamrolled Galina Voskoboeva 6-1, 6-0. Nicole served very well and hit a ton of winners. Galina had no answers

Thats so sad to hear/ Hopefully the injury isnt too bad.

pcrtennis
Aug 26th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Oh no...that's terrible. I hate to see such a battle of a match have to end like that.

brunof
Aug 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM

Poor Cory Ann. I hope Rika now qualifies. I'm sure as a competitor it is tough to see your opponent go down like that. Anyone know what happened to Anastassia? It suprises me that Galina played so poorly. I was impressed with her when I saw her a few months ago, she really mixes up the ball with some interesting angles. Too bad for her. :sad:

rated_next
Aug 26th, 2004, 11:53 PM
OMG!!! poor cory ann :sad:

njguido11
Aug 26th, 2004, 11:54 PM
SO am i right to assume Cory ANn wont be playing doubles?

njguido11
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Oh no...that's terrible. I hate to see such a battle of a match have to end like that.

u hexed her cheering against her the whole time its ur fault. BLAH

jk

Kaelin
Aug 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM
thanks nicolas :) :)

hope you're having fun
Sure:D
We all miss you:kiss:

Kaelin
Aug 27th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the report, Nicolas :)

Please forward my regards to Angie if you have a chance to speak to her :)
I will try;) ...but she plays first like Liu:(

Kaelin
Aug 27th, 2004, 03:39 AM
As houseoflords said, end of Avants/Fujiwara was very very sad. Even if I was routing for Rika, near from her coach and Asagoe, I really like Cory Ann's play and attitude:she could hit winners from everywhere and is pretty funny to watch. She should have won as Rika was clearly playing too shy in third set with many errors while she's so good when on fire, especially with her backhand down the line. At 5-3 40/0, Avants clearly chocked, especially on the fourth match point when after an almost winner serve, she tried this drop shot:o . Rika fought and we were close to a final tie break when...Rika was very kind bringing towel and an umbrella. But Cory Ann couldn't play anymore.

I also saw part of Uberoi/Kremer; Shikha was very consistent from baseline, with a good forehand, but what a poor serve! She really has to improve it and after she could get far higher in rankings. Kremer was far of her best and way too passive.

Widjaja played great, far better than in Roland Garros where I saw her; she moved very well and was doing everything with her forehand. Baltacha was too slow to put a good fight.

Yoshida did what she could against a very powered Linetskaya; she moved fast and was returning everything but it wasn't enough. The match was more tied than the score shows.

Liu had another easy round. She is on every ball, with a topspin forehand and a fast backhand. Gerhlein was disgusted and did a lot of errors: she didn't find the key, even when she tried to moonball. Liu not only counterattacks but also do some very well placed winners.

Hisamatsu moonballed a lot and also found good winners on her two handed forehand but Schruff was too strong.

Pous Tio and Fedack had great battle; Laura has a very good forehand and doesn't make many errors.

Osterloh played very badly today: too many UE.

Foretz had to make perfect winners against Vieirin who was all over the court: it took long but Stephanie finally succeed

Jem
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM
That's terrible about Cory Ann Avants -- hope it's nothing too serious.

As for Gasquet, if he hit the linesmen on purpose, he should be kicked off the tour. That's unacceptable behavior.

crazillo
Aug 27th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Do u think Topalova can beat Liu? She has a game Liu might not be used to.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 27th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Anybody catch part of Maureen Drake's match against Blahatova?

Hayato
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM
ROSSANA NEFFA-DE LOS RIOS :mad: :fiery:

im so mad at her right now :(

Hayato
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:18 AM
did Vinci end up qualifying?

Jakub
Aug 27th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Kaelin :fiery: ;) you better go and see Marta D.
have good time

sévfan
Aug 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
go séverine beltrame :hearts: :p
people who see séverine,takes photos? :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :)

pcrtennis
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:08 PM
How come Tennis.info and "On the Line" don't have photos or reports from yesterday's matches yet?

Chris_G
Aug 28th, 2004, 12:01 AM
How come Tennis.info and "On the Line" don't have photos or reports from yesterday's matches yet?
As far as I know, I'm the only person writing about the Open for On The Line this year. Unfortunately, I could only get down to Flushing for one day of qualifying. I'll be there again next week, from Monday through Thursday.

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 01:24 AM
For those of you who were wondering about the RIchard Gasquet incident. I wasn't at the match when it happened I was watching Nicole Vaidisova. I talk to a linesman who was on court for the incident today. Gasquet wasn't arrested or charged with assault. He was taken off the court by US Open security not the police. This is what happened. After a point, Gasquet whipped his racket at the backdrop. The racket it the backdrop and richocheted hard into the face fo the linesman. Gasquet refused to apologize and was defaulted

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Match Reports
Nicole Vaidisova qualified in a really well played match. There were a lot of winners in this match. There were some incredible rallies. Nuria had a few chacnes to break in the 2nd set but she mad a bad error on an overhead on one and the others Niucole came up with a big serve. Nicole broke Nuria in the 9th game of the 2st set and the 11th game of the 2nd set. Nuria saved 4 match points on Nicole's service game but Nicole converted on match point #5. Nicole was winded after the match but elated

Julia Schruff beat Camille Pin in a terribly played match. There were 8 breaks of serve in the first set alone, including 5 straight. The match was filled with errors, breaks and double faults.

Anna-Lena Groenfeld had little trouble with Alyona Bondarenko. She wasn't broken and dominated the points.

Sesil Karatancheva battled to a three set win over Eva Birneroca. Birnerova ran Sesil around in the first set and Sesil had trouble getting her 1st serve in. Sesil took over in the 2nd getting up quickly. Birnerova then took a bathroom break at 5-2 in the second trying to ice Sesil. It worked but then Sesil broke her right back in the 2nd. Sesil won a hard fought third set. Birnerova was beng a poor sport throughout the match, complaining about everything.

Anna Chakvetadze got down 4-1 in the first set and then turned it all around. She served for the set at 6-5 was broken but fought hard to win the tiebreak. She took it to Fujiwara in the second set and won the last 4 games.

Marta Domachowska completely blew up against Tzipora Obziler. Marta was down 4-1 in the first set but rallied to take a 5-4 lead, hitting winners almost on every point. Then she served for the set and everything went downhill. She got broken and then found herself serving to stay in the set and got broken at love to lose the first set 7-5. She struggled in the second set, she ralied to make it close and had a break point at to get back on serve but didn't convert. Marta had too many unforced errors. Obziler smartly just kept the ball in play, allowing Marta to self destruct

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 01:47 AM
I talked to Cory Ann's USTA coach tody. He told me that Cory Ann's shoulder was put back in place and there is no damage. The doctor said that she has to take it easy for a few days but will be fine. That news certainly made me very happy

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Anna Chakvetadze got down 4-1 in the first set and then turned it all around. She served for the set at 6-5 was broken but fought hard to win the tiebreak. She took it to Fujiwara in the second set and won the last 4 games.

Do you think you could expand a little on this one please..That would be great!!!

Also, did you see Angie Widjaja play????

Thanks for the reports!!!!

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:31 AM
I didn't see Wijaja play. I wsa watching Nicole. Ann just dictate the points and moved Rika around in the second set. I didn't see the 1st set comeback in its entirity. I was running between a few matches at that point. Early in the match Rika was dicatating the points and hiting her shots. Once Anna got into a groove she started to control the points

njguido11
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:52 AM
I didn't see Wijaja play. I wsa watching Nicole. Ann just dictate the points and moved Rika around in the second set. I didn't see the 1st set comeback in its entirity. I was running between a few matches at that point. Early in the match Rika was dicatating the points and hiting her shots. Once Anna got into a groove she started to control the points

u think cory ann could have qualified??

Buitenzorg
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Widjaja :) welcome back to the winners circle :)

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I do think Cory Ann could have qualified. It wouldn't have been easy but it never is with Cory Ann. She was a different player during the qualies this time. She has always been a fighter and had a lot of heart but she had an incredible drive during the two matches. She had something to prove and was playing with a chp on her shoulder. That can take you a long way

crazillo
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Anything about Topalovŕ??

rated_next
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM
thanks for the reports

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I didn't see Topalova. She was playing the same time as the Vaidisova-Llagostera Vives match. I stayed at that match until its conclusion

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Houseoflords...can you tell me a bit about Fujiwara's serve??

Thanks for giving out this info!

houseoflords
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Her toss is terrible. I have never seen anyone who lets as many tosses drop as she does. She had 4 or 5 a game against Cory Ann. Today wasn't quite as bad but she still had several tosses that she just let drop. Her serve isn't that strong. SHe places it well sometimes and occasionally gets power of of it. Nearly every service game is a struggle. She doesn't hit many double faults but her 2nd serve is not good. It is relly week and opponents usually have a good opportunity to rip a clean winner off of it

GoSandrine
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Hi Jerome and Friends :bigwave:

All in all a good day for me with Roby and Antonella qualifying :D Got to see the following:

Antonella Serra Zaneti def Capucine Rousseau 6-1,6-1

Capucine started out strong playing aggressively and coming to net but lost a couple of deuce games early and Antonella's steady play (even coming to net more than usual) :eek: combined with Capucine's impatience and misses spelled doom for the Frenchwoman. Watched the match with Valerie (Casonifan) and some with Nicolas (Kaelin) although he went elsewhere.

Roberta Vinci def. Mervana Jugic-Sakic 4-6,6-3,6-1

Roby blew a 4-2 first set lead but recovered nicely. She is fiery and tends to get down on herself but not as much as before. Her serve has really improved and she mixed her slice with forays into net while Mervana fought hard but made a few too many errors. Roby was favoring her foot in the last set but she played through it nicely.

Anna Chakvetadze def Rika Fujiwara 7-6(5),6-2

Rika had a 5-2 first set lead and set points but Anna really impressed with mental strength, powerful serve and groundstrokes. Rika really had to fight hard for every point (no gimmies here) and she clearly didn't have the fortitude to fight through another very tough opponent on consective days.

Other matches

I also got to see the first set of Nan-Nan Liu against Topalova. The set could have gone either way. Liu blew a big first set lead but squeaked by in the tiebreak. Play was not overly impressive. Topalova played to Liu's forehand which was clearly weaker but she persevered.

Also saw a few bits of Beltrame against Delia Sescioreanu as well as the last three games. Delia was clearly injured in the third set but fought through to complete the match. A gallant effort. I was really impressed by Severine though. She plays very aggressively and mixes her shots well. She took advantage of Delia's injury and she breezed through the last set.

There were other players I wanted to watch but I got so engrossed in the matches above as well as a couple men's matches - Potito :hearts: and Suzuki :eek: really impressed - that I didn't get to see as many as I would have liked.

:wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
thanx for all the reports :) :) :wavey:

Jakub
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thank you :)
Marta :sad: but that`s what I thought had happened.

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Oh Rika....set points???? Wasting your oppurtunities finally caught up with you...Great Qualie tourney though!!!! You'll be in the top 200 finally again.

rated_next
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
thanks Ed :) :)

Harju.
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Great reports :D

Too bad no one's watching Angie vs Angie match :(

houseoflords
Aug 29th, 2004, 02:47 AM
I tlaked to Cory Ann today. There is a chance she may be able to play doubles