PDA

View Full Version : Venus/Serena & Indian Wells questions

bwguy
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:54 PM
This article was in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Was the alleged racial remark the real reason they weren't participating this year, or was it more the unfair booing that Serena had to put up with throughout the final? This guy doesn't even mention the latter. And I thought I did read that other people heard the racial remarks, too, but maybe I am mistaken.

Williams message: absence with malice

by Charles Bricker
Published March 10, 2002

This is the face of vindictiveness: Venus and Serena Williams at home in Palm Beach Gardens this week, boycotting the $2 million Indian Wells tournament because of the alleged racial incident that took place at the tournament a year ago.

Ask father Richard Williams about it, and he holds nothing back. He was the one who claimed someone called out to him from the audience with a racial slur as he and Venus walked down the steps to their seats before Serena's match.

Not one person in the vast audience that day came forward to corroborate Williams' story, and former tour CEO Bart McGuire's subsequent investigation turned up no evidence that the incident took place.

Despite all the publicity, no one came forward to support Williams' claim, and no one wrote a letter to a newspaper saying they, too, were appalled by some racial remark.

Nevertheless, the Williams family is determined to make the tournament pay, though Venus seems reluctant to discuss the issue.

``Well, all in all, it was just basically an incredible scene last year in Indian Wells,'' she said. ``But that's part of sports, playing with the good and bad.''

She added, wistfully: ``I've always liked that tournament, and basically I had my first big break there in the desert. So some of my best memories are there. Actually, the first time I got in the quarterfinals, I was like 200 in the world. I have a lot of great memories there.''

Neither she nor Serena, who is the defending champion, have issued any direct explanation of why they're not playing.

They don't have to, though. Everyone knows and this doesn't help their reputations.

joao
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:57 PM
This guy is just another a**hole taking pleasure in bashing 2 great tennis players!:fiery:

Rocketta
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:31 AM
They don't owe IW "Jack Booty" and for anyone to think they do shows their bias. Where are all the articles about Jennifer skipping the tournament and how that is ruining her reputation?? :confused:

Kart
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:18 AM
To my (limited) knowledge, Richard Williams is the only person who has gone on record to say that he heard the racist insults.

I don't think Serena or Venus have ever confirmed it (?), they are diplomatic about the siuation as usual.

CC
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Doesn't help their reputation in whose mind? IW and it's primitives got exactly what they deserve.:(

Infiniti2001
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Nothing new here, just bits and pieces from yesterday's news arrghhhh!!!!:rolleyes:

essielewis
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Of course noboby else heard the racist remarks. They were too busy booing:(

This writer is so biased that it pains me to even respond to the drivel he wrote. Nowhere does he mention that Jennifer Capriati is not playing nor does he seem to care. He's too busy trying to make the lives of the Williams sisters miserable.:mad:

The Indian Wells tournament is going on quite well without Venus or Serena, so what's the big deal?:confused: I hope neither girl ever plays in that tournament again and the yahoos in Indian Wells will deserve it.:fiery:

essielewis
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Okay. I was so angry that I e-mailed that jerk writer. My main question was why didn't he write a column criticizing Jennifer Capriati?

Not that I want him to criticize Jennifer, my point is, he has no right to speculate about any player who decides not to play a tournament but, if he's going to criticize, then he should at least be fair about it.:p

I'll probably get a "form" e-mail in reply, but at least he knows how I feel about it. :rolleyes:

If anybody else wants to write him: cbricker@sun-sentinel.com .

Williams Rulez
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:42 AM
He (closeted fan) has to write an article about them and he is just annoyed that he cannot write articles about them at Indian Wells, so he decided to take it a step further and write about them not being at Indian Wells.... unfortunately it isn't very nice. :rolleyes:

Volcana
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:19 AM
As stated, he's actually correct in his conclusion. This don't help Venus and Serena's reputation. It doesn't hurt it either. All anyone can take from it is if a crowd treats them badly enough, they'll stay away.

I have noticed the TV announcers have stopped making sly comments about the Venus and Serena fixing tennis matches. I wonder what's changed?

moon
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
What's changed is, I think they finally got it into their thick heads that when they badmouth Venus and Serena they are only cutting off their nose to spite their face. Whether they like it or not, V and S are HUGE attractions for the tour. To continue to bad mouth them is to make the entire tour look bad, by insinuating that their is match-fixing going on.

Either that or Richard threatened to sue them. ;)