PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE DEAL W/ DEMENTIEVA??!

venusrocks
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:07 PM
...she used to be so good!

joao
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Dementieva, Kournikova......they're all clones of the same russian prototype!LOL

harloo
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Mentally she is weak. I remember her playing Davenport at the US Open and giving Lindsay a good scare. I thought she was the next thing, but how wrong I was, how wrong.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:33 AM
It may be a tad early to count her out - I mean, even at how she has been playing the past year, which is nothing compared to her form for the last bit of 2000 - Dementieva is still top 15 or 20 (i cant recall her latest ranking?) - which is nothing to sneeze at :)

She still has time to get it together mentally. Perhaps she just didn't handle the stress of the expectations that came with success or something.

Jem
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Personally, I think Dementieva is achieving about what I would expect of her. She really wasn't a junior wunderkid. Even in the juniors, she was hot and cold, and I don't think there was anything to suggest that she is going to be one of the great ones. By the way, I feel the same about Kournikova, who basically won one major junior title and nothing else. In fact, in the year she was the world's top junior, Kournikova performed lousy in the junior Grand Slams. As for Dementieva, I'm guessing she will always struggle with her consistency -- she'll have some great wins and some awful losses. She may ultimately be a top 10 player, but I'm guessing she's the kind of player who will have a career year (Barbara Schett a few years ago reached No. 7) and then be a solid top 20 performer. Of course, she certainly has the weapons to beat anybody, but I'd be surprised to see her be a consistent threat to reach the semifinals in Grand Slams -- much less win a Grand Slam.