PDA

View Full Version : Why every time roddick lose, there is an excuse?

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:11 PM
I am sorry, I know he is ill and evrything, but why everytime he lose an important, he is 'visibly ill', 'vomiting', 'appeared injured' or 'appeared in pain'

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but it is very coincidental that every tiem he lose an important match, he is ill or injured, maybe he should condition his body better

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:12 PM
An article about his lost in final today

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Davide Sanguinetti won the second tournament title of his nine-year career and his second of the year Sunday, beating an ill Andy Roddick 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 in the final of the International Tennis Championships.

On a warm, sunny afternoon, Roddick appeared to vomit at least twice, including once at his chair shortly after Sanguinetti closed out the victory with an ace. Roddick was playing with a chest infection and fever, coach Tarik Benhabiles said.

The defeat was the top-seeded Roddick's first in five career finals.

The No. 5-seeded Sanguinetti beat another American, Jan-Michael Gambill, in the semifinals. The 29-year-old Italian won his first ATP Tour title just last month in Milan.

Roddick looked lethargic for much of the match, bending over after long points and often hanging his head.

``C'mon, Andy, pick it up a notch!'' a fan shouted midway through the second set. Roddick responded by raising his thumb and briefly showed signs of life, breaking Sanguinetti for the only time in the final game of the set to even the match.

But Roddick double-faulted on break point to lose his serve for just the second time and fall behind 3-2 in the final set. During a changeover with Sanguinetti ahead 4-3, Roddick became visibly ill and briefly left the court with a towel over his mouth.

Sanguinetti held serve for a 5-3 lead and held again for the victory and a $51,500 first prize. Roddick won $30,300.

Scotso
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Don't worry about offending people. It's the truth. He's a drama queen and needs an excuse every time he loses. Or, if he just wants pity from the crowd.

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:16 PM
At least you're sorry that you are offending people, I would be among those people... most Andy hatters aren't as polite!!

Well I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that the flu and viruses can affect anybody, even the most conditioned athletes. And it would be dumb to say that a top 15 player isn't in good condition... look at Lleyton at the Aussie Open... anything can happen!

Amanda
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:18 PM
:rolleyes:

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:18 PM
In case you might think my most haters aren't as polite comment was directed at you Scotso, it wasn't... although it very well could be... when I started writing my message, yours wasn't up yet!

V.Melb
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:19 PM
DRAMA-QUEEN! ........

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:21 PM
The only reason I wrote this is because I saw the headline in a website shouting 'Super fit Roddick through to semis" implying that he won two match in a trod on a day. Don't you think it is ironic that media is behind him so much, and the fact that yes it is coincidental that Andy is injured but it happen everytime he lost a big match an injury or illness or a bad line call. it is way too conincidental

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:22 PM
I seriously doubt Andy made himself vomit

Tatiana Panova
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Lets face it he is a bit of a drama queen.

I think he is a bit overrated anyway. Ok he has an amazing serve but there is so much effort in every shot I wonder if he can hold up. I have never thought much of his backhand either. He is fantastic for the game however, but still overrated so far...

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:23 PM
i am just saying that he should condition himself better!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Maybe this is just an "american thing"

they are the only ones who make lame excuses

well done Davide

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wongqks
The only reason I wrote this is because I saw the headline in a website shouting 'Super fit Roddick through to semis" implying that he won two match in a trod on a day. Don't you think it is ironic that media is behind him so much, and the fact that yes it is coincidental that Andy is injured but it happen everytime he lost a big match an injury or illness or a bad line call. it is way too conincidental

Well it is possible that he was feeling fine one day and then sick the next day... I know it has happened to people before ;) And he, or the media for that matter, doesn't blame ALL his losses in big matches on injury, illness or a bad line call. You are obviously not an Andy follower because all you seem to know (or remember) about him is this tournie, the Aussie (or maybe French) Open for the injury and the line call at the U.S Open... if you did follow Andy week in and week out like me you would know that most losses, such as last week to Andre in the semis, were not blamed on anything except the fact that Andre simply played better... i'm not saying you should follow Andy I'm just saying that until you do don't start saying EVERYTIME he loses he says this and he ALWAYS does this or that... And as far as being over-rated, ok maybe he is but that's not a reason not to like him... hate the media for that... all Andy does is play tennis!

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Maybe this is just an "american thing"

they are the only ones who make lame excuses

well done Davide

and why is an illness a lame excuse???

Tatiana Panova
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Oh I don't hate him Angel, I just think he is overrated and yes, this is the fault of the media. and Andy probably puts that little bit of extra pressure on himself because he thinks he something extra special. He is, but I think he is too immature as yet to win the big ones.

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:58 PM
I'm glad you don't hate him Tatiana, it seems too many people on this board have something against him because the media pays a lot of attention to him... I agree with you on the maturtiy thing though... I don't think he is quite ready to win a slam... that was proven at the U.S when he completely lost in over what could have been a meaningless linecall had he not let himself be affected by it... I think he is a great player though and as he gets older and gains more experience will develop into a serious slam contender!

Volcana
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:04 PM
I didn't know Jelena was American, but I'll be perfectly happy to claim her. :)

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Yeah i agree it is the media who overhype him. to be a champion he need to learn to play through injury and also more importantly learn how your body works. I mean Sampras play through injury lots of time. But I think he will learn fast

Jem
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Poor Roddick. He certainly has more than his share of detractors on this board. Is he overrated? Only time will tell, but his record as a professional certainly stands up well against virtually any of his peers and also matches up well against some of the all-time greats -- especially when you consider that the game has never been as competitive as it is today. It's funny how things work; people whine because so many of today's male tennis players lack charisma. Then along comes a young guy with plenty of charisma and a flare for the dramatic, and they moan that he's a showboat. From my perspective, the men's game needs a few showboats -- a few more Lleyton Hewitt's with his "C'mons," Roddick with his facial expressions and others who show a little passion. The men are playing great tennis -- in fact more entertaining than the women LAST year -- but the lack of heart on the men's tour is a major problem. I'm hoping Roddick wins his first Grand Slam this year, and I think he'll win several Grand Slams -- unless injuries cripple his career.

As for Pete Sampras' ability to play through pain, that came much later in his career. He played a U.S. Open final one year with an upset stomach, and played just awful tennis. He wasn't competitive at all (I can say that because I'm a huge Sampras fan). At least Roddick made a match of it today.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:09 AM
For the love of God - the kid was vomitting on court :rolleyes:

Shame on all of you who have nothing better to do than kick someone when they are down.

If you want to insult him for something legit - fire away! But fore heavens sake - he was spewing his guts out!

I've never thought of myself as a drama queen when I was barfing - so I have trouble seeing how that makes him one :rolleyes:

TBE- would it kill you to keep your ignorance to a minumum?

"Maybe this is just an "american thing"

they are the only ones who make lame excuses "

HOW old are you? Or should I sawy - how ignorant? Anyone who can generalize an entire population on the action of a few, is a complete ignoranous. I'm sorry to see you fall into that catagory.

Thats like someone saying that because so many Russian women are chokers who are afraid to win and live up their potential - that ALL Russians are like that.

btw - you were full of lame excuses during the Olympics. When did you pledge your allegiance?

Crazy Canuck
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:11 AM
it may appear I overreacted as I tend to do on occasion -
but IMO such ignorance that was just displayed by TBE is as bad as racial stereotyping.

Neither of which should be tolerated.

Williams Rulez
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:12 AM
TBE - That is a really sweeping statement :rolleyes:

And come on everyone, Roddick was sick, he was puking! You can't fake that.... and even if you could, would he go through so much trouble to make himself feel sick and lose a match?

He may be hyped, but he is still human. He can fall sick, he can lose. Do not insult him just cause he is REALLY sick and lost. You've no evidence whatsoever that he isn't.

Scotso
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:15 AM
TBE's statement was out of line.

The article didn't say he was puking is guts out. "Roddick appeared to vomit at least twice."

That doesn't mean he did and obviously there was nothing to clean up. That leads me to believe he was being overly dramatic. No matter what anyone says, he does it a lot, and it's really pathetic in my opinion.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Don't apologize becca you hit the nail on the head. I find it appalling that some people have nothing better to do than criticize someone who was sick. He went out there feeling ill and gave his best, win or lose thats all he could do. would u have felt better if he defaulted?

Players get injured, player get sick, and instead of insulting them for sticking it out and playing we should be applauding the effort. What did martina say when she lost at wimbledon first round,"my back was injured." What about anna when she lost the semis, "my neck was injured." what about serena when she lost to jen at wimbledon, "stomach flu" the list goes on and one and every player at one time or another has been injured or sick and still played. Get over it because it will happen again and probably to your favorite players as well.

Here's to a healthy and injury free season and well wishes to all who aren't

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Sorry that was a bit off line but it was meant as a joke :rolleyes:

Hurley
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Some people have such predictable reactions all the time. Don't y'all get tired of saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over? ;)

Cheers to Becca, once again the only poster to shake up the often-repetitive malaise that infests the Roddick threads. :D

Eggy...tsk tsk, don't make me take you over my knee. ;)

angele87
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:57 AM
I'm 100% with you on this one Becca!

Andy was SICK!!! He wasn't faking getting sick so get over it. Yeah MAYBE Andy is over rated but like somebody said, only time will tell if he is... and it's hard to expect somebody who has been on tour all of one year to start winning grand slams! Give him some time people!!

angele87
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Hurley
Some people have such predictable reactions all the time. Don't y'all get tired of saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over? ;)

I am but I just can't stand by and watch people bash Andy and say nothing!!

Hurley
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:07 AM
I wasn't referring to you, Angele. ;)

angele87
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Hurley
I wasn't referring to you, Angele. ;)

I didn't think so but I thought I'd comment on it anyway lol... as you can tell I'm not exactly the quiet type lol :p

Hurley
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Really? I never would have guessed. :p

angele87
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:26 AM
LOL @ Hurley... it really is hard to tell isn't it lol?? And at that, it's hard to grasp how opinionated I am just by this board :eek:

Crazy Canuck
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:10 AM
TBE - I'm sorry for biting off your head IF it was intended as a joke.
However, the lack of smiley's next to the comment led me to think you weren't kidding.

But I'm willing to accept that I may have been wrong.

:)

wongqks
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:25 AM
I am sorry that people miss the plot, but my intention for this thread is to

1: Say that Roddick should condition himself better as he has lost many chance through illness and injury for a young career

2: Just to general bash the media who will not give credit to teh winner by saying he beat 'an injured'or 'ill' or 'got a bad line call' Roddick. IT IS NOT DIRECTED ON HIM, as I say so many times on this thread. I am sorry if people cannot see that

Crazy Canuck
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:40 AM
1. I'm not sure how well Roddick is conditioned to comment on this. I mean - if he gets sick, you can't help that. No matter how fit you are you cant still catch the cold and flu.
As for his sprained ankles he's suffered and cramping - perhaps there is something that can be worked on in the mechanics of his service motion, and shots that could help his back and legs?
I know Rusedski used to have terrible programs but worked with a biomechanist to buy his body a few more playing years, and it seems to have worked.
Perhaps Roddick could try something similar?

2. The media may not have been being fair, no. But Andy, at no fault of his own, is the American tennis media's sweetheart, and they are going to do it wether we like it or not.

Congrats to Davide by the way for winning his second title. THe only man to win 2 titles this year :)

Fingon
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:55 AM
I guess that if he was vomiting he was really sick.

I can't say because I certainly don't follow ATP since Pat Rafter is not around, watching baseliners hitting the ball as hard as they can doesn't appeal to me.

Now, said that, I am one of those who can't stand Andy Roddick, the media is a reason but, I don't agree with that idea that it's not his fault if the media hypes him so much.

He is feeding that, everything on him is studied, they way he dresses, the way he wears his cap, his gestures on the court.

I only saw Andie twice, a few games against Chan at the FO, where I do think he was faking the cramps, and against Goran at Wimbledon, first because it was Goran and second because I really enjoyed how the show came to an end as soon as Goran's serves started to frustrate him.

Fingon
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:58 AM
I forgot, he is totally overrated, he only has a very powerful serve and big groundstrokes, not a a good technique and no results to back up the claims he is the next big thing.

OK, I admit that in today's tennis, you might win a GS just hitting too hard, but, obviously, he is not even close to be ready for that, and with the media putting him as a top contender for every GS title, I think the pressure will mount and he will fall apart.

Dawn Marie
Mar 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
P.S. I think Andy is a Bulimic .. maybe that explains why he is always barfing.
:-)

Benny
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:49 AM
He is a drama queen wheater he was sick or not. I saw him play in the final of a tournament and he was 1 game away from victory and it rained(on clay) and he was complaing, swearing and everything to the tournament director.

Congrats Davide
Forza Italia

I can't get over Tammy's loss:(:(:(

irma
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:59 AM
If he had fever then he had fever, you can`t fake that!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Becca..... I'm used to women biting my head off... ;)

Monica_Rules
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
So if he vomits and loose he shouldn't use it as an excuse god you are pathetic!

He doesn't alwasy blame something!

Ok french he fell over DUH!

US open that line call put him off and here he vomits on court twice perfectly good exuses

angele87
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Fingon

Now, said that, I am one of those who can't stand Andy Roddick, the media is a reason but, I don't agree with that idea that it's not his fault if the media hypes him so much.

He is feeding that, everything on him is studied, they way he dresses, the way he wears his cap, his gestures on the court.

And what exactly would you want Andy to do?? Stop winning any matches at all and retire so the media won't focus on him?? It's not his fault that all the best American players are getting a little bit old and the media needs a new sweetheart... he just happened to come along at the right time... and plus, it's not his fault he's good looking ;)... you may not agree on that but a lot of people do...

selesfan
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Really TBE? I didn't know it was just an American thing. I hear a lot of Europeans making excuses when they lose also.:mad: This from a person everytime Anna loses (which is often);) attributes her loss to her foot, her twisted neck, she plays too much tennis, etc...................;)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Anna has been americanized as she's lived around half of her life in the US ;)

selesfan
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:21 PM
True! I remember when she first came on the scene and her name was Anya and she said she would prefer to be called Anna. :)

hingis-seles
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:49 PM
I can't stand Andy Roddick!!!

He just really pisses me off!

The American media really hype him so much and go on and on about how he is "America's next best hope".

I don't question this illness of his, but he does act like a prima donna on the court. He is a drama queen, IMO!

Anywayz, he's not worth my time or emotions...I was just in a really bad mo0d and decided to take it out here.....

Take no offense!

Martian KC
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:10 PM
I agree wongqks! I am been noticing all these injuries when he loses.

croat123
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by angele87

if you did follow Andy week in and week out like me you would know that most losses, such as last week to Andre in the semis, were not blamed on anything except the fact that Andre simply played better... i'm not saying you should follow Andy I'm just saying that until you do don't start saying EVERYTIME he loses he says this and he ALWAYS does this or that... And as far as being over-rated, ok maybe he is but that's not a reason not to like him... hate the media for that... all Andy does is play tennis!

You're right about the Agassi part. Andy wasn't injured, but he gave Andre very little credit and said that he played an awful match.

croat123
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Jem
Poor Roddick. He certainly has more than his share of detractors on this board. Is he overrated? Only time will tell, but his record as a professional certainly stands up well against virtually any of his peers and also matches up well against some of the all-time greats -- especially when you consider that the game has never been as competitive as it is today.

Oh yeah, great record. He hasn't beaten a player ranked higher than him this year and the Sampras (i'm guessing that is the all-star win you are talking about) win in Miami was at a time when my grandma would have beaten Pete.

croat123
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Remember when he started crying during the Ivanisevic match at Wimbledon...

wongqks
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Oh dear, I regret starting this thread and also maybe I chose the title wrong, I got the impression that people did not pay attention to my previous post in this thread where I justified why I post this thread. It is not a 'I hate Andy' thread, it is a 'Andy should go and try to learn his body mechanics and media should stop giving too much hope on him' thread.

You have to admit he has more injury than many other players. He also like to express himself on court ( a bit like Hewitt, who got heavily criticised in this board, but ironically he is as expressive as Roddick and when people criticised Roddick for the same thing, people start saying it being unfair :rolleyes: ) , sometime, I find his action a little exaggerating. (I am not talking about his vomiting or the time when he is injured)

Okay I am going to say something which bound to get completely bollocked by many people but I will say it regardless.
People who support Roddick are North american people where people criticise them are non- north american people. IF Roddick is Australian and Hewitt is American, I am so sure that it would have been reversed and that Roddick would have got much worst nickname and that no one will care.

Greenout
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Quite frankly for all his USA hype; he hasn't cracked
a dent in Asia. Hewitt , Marat and Rodger Fed..is who
people notice and write about. I say, that's about
right in terms of new guard tennis on the ATP now.