PDA

View Full Version : Sveta / ASV - one last doubles title here!

JonBcn
Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:07 PM
Fingers crossed...

They have an 18/2 win loss record, with three titles and two finals in 2002. Hopefully they'll go one better here than their loss to Black and Ruano two years ago...

Joseosu19
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:14 AM
The longer they stay in the tournament the more dangerous they'll be. Good luck girls:D

raquel
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Good Luck Arantxa and Sveta :D

Hopefully this will be a successful farewell and good fun for them both :)

Whether this is ASV's last event or not, I have enjoyed her comeback this year. Obviously losing the first round in the Slams and Olympics was a shame, but they led in both the Frecnh and Olympics to teams who went on far in the event. And of course Arantxa made another little bit of history by being the first tennis player to compete in 5 Olympics :) The title in Palermo was the other highlight of course and moved ASV to 7th on the all time doubles list (I think) and edged Arantxa over 100 for her 101st title :) Even though it was a Tier V it was fun again waiting for results and hoping she would win and then celebrating a title again.

I wonder if there is any chance she might take a wildcard in one or two more events? Would love to see ASV at the US Open, but that's very doubtful. Whatever happens I hope Bali is a great tournament for them :)

*roddicksinme*
Aug 25th, 2004, 05:29 AM
good luck Arantxa, your comeback was fun to see :)

TartarVicario
Aug 28th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'm waiting for you here :sad: :)

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Vamos Arantxa and Svetlana!!! I know you can do it girls...you are still the best player in the world Arantxa! :hearts:

marsha
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Well I'm glad to see they didn't make Sveta play Monday -- I'm sure she's a little jet-lagged

All the best to "our" team! And as Sveta says (*LOL*) -- VAMOS!!!!!!

Jane
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Good luck to Arantxa and Sveta. Win or lose, I am sure they will have fun on the court. Sveta has to be on a real emotional high after the USO and I'll bet Arantxa is almost as excited about it as Sveta.

partyzantka
Sep 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Good luck girls. I'm not worried about 1st round - Domachowska & Woskobojewa are not dangerous.
I'm so happy to see ASV playing again.

TartarVicario
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:57 AM
They will play thier first match on Wednesday :D.Good luck! :rocker2:

HectorMagnus
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: good luck girls!!!! :hug:

TartarVicario
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Today Kuznetsova/Sanchez-Vicario (RUS/ESP) d. Domachowska/Voskoboeva (POL/RUS) 6-4,6-3 :banana:.They are going to play second round tomorrow :)

Centre Court (from 16.00hrs)
1. Myskina vs. Camerin
2. Stosur vs. Kuznetsova
3. Widjaja vs. An.Barna
4. Kuznetsova/Sanchez-Vicario vs. Vento-Kabchi/Widjaja (after suitable rest)

Good luck! :D

raquel
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Great win girls :banana:

Tomorrow will be tough as they are a well-established team, but I am confident :) Vamos Arantxa and Sveta :yeah:

TartarVicario
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Arantxa looking good :hearts: Thanks Felix :worship:

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photogallery/bali/f_05.jpg
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photogallery/bali/f_08.jpg
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photogallery/bali/f_10.jpg

JonBcn
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Arantxa, how many times have I told you to look where you're going when you're in charge of a boat? :p

Julian
Sep 15th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Arantxa looks great!

Julian
Sep 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Good Luck Tomorrow Girls!!

Joseosu19
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Wow Arantxa looks awesome:)

Congrats, girls, and keep a winning!

marsha
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Wow Arantxa looks awesome

And that, my dear friends including Joe, is only because Arantxa **IS** awesome! ** LOL**

Vamos manana y buena suerte! VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEETHELICK
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Great win for Arantxa. I hope she can grab this title. It would be perfect.

And she does look good, very relaxed!

C'mon Arantxa!!!! :D

TartarVicario
Sep 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Kuznetsova/Sanchez-Vicario (RUS/ESP) d. (2) Vento-Kabchi/Widjaja (VEN/INA) 6-3,6-4 :kiss: :yeah:

Grab this title girls :rocker2:

wave
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Hi to all Arantxa fans! :wavey: Good to have an occasion to meet again.

Arantxa has become a blonde! :eek::eek::eek:

A little bit unfamiliar, but not bad. Two US Open champions playing together in the doubles. Does anybody know if that has happened before?

(And don't say Steffi - Gaby, because at that time at least Gaby was no US Open champion yet...)

Anyway: Vamos/dawai Arantxa/Sveta! :bounce:

JonBcn
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:01 PM
:D nice one!

I wish ASV would play more: it reminds me of days gone by worrying about results all day!

HectorMagnus
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:08 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :yeah: :hug:

great, keep going ladies ;)

Julian
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Congrats Girls!! GOOD LUCK NEXT ROUND!

Gallofa
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Best of luck! :D

(It looks like they are really toughing it out in Bali ;))

KV
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Sveta & Arantxa :D Great performance

raquel
Sep 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Great win girls :D

Arantxa looks better than ever in those pictures. Love the blonde hair! Great to see her having fun and winning matches here :)

marsha
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Well done team! Keep it going!!!

JonBcn
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Here's a thought: I wonder if a victory here would tempt Arantxa into going to China next week with Sveta to play there? Likhovtseva is not playing, so Sveta might potentially be up for a doubles partnership (although it wouldnt do her any harm to just play singles for a week!). I know the girls always saw this week as a bit of a working holiday, but a second title of the year (if it happened), plus seeing the dividends of her work with Sveta pay off in NYC might just give Arantxa that competitive itch again..?

TartarVicario
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Cute team :hearts:

http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/Svetlana%20Kuznetsova/svetlana05.jpg
http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/Svetlana%20Kuznetsova/svetlana04.jpg

marsha
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Two US Open champions playing together in the doubles. Does anybody know if that has happened before?

(And don't say Steffi - Gaby, because at that time at least Gaby was no US Open champion yet...)

Good to see you again also, Wave.

And I believe you are correct -- two US Open champs as a team, first time! Boy I wish they would just keep playing together forever! :)

marsha
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the pictures T-V. Hey, where are the armed guards that are supposed to be with them everywhere??

JonBcn -- what you said. On to China.... (I only wish....)

PS -- Belated Hello to Gallofa! LTNS!!!!

TartarVicario
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM
You're welcome marsha :hug:

http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/Svetlana%20Kuznetsova/svetlana01.jpg
http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/Svetlana%20Kuznetsova/svetlana03.jpg
http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/Svetlana%20Kuznetsova/svetlana06.jpg

TartarVicario
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Arantxa/Sveta in the second round :)

http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/16%20September%202004/double_kuznet_sanchez.jpg

Joseosu19
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Venus and Serena were both US open champs, off the top of my head, but still I bet Arantxa/Sveta are one of the few.

Vamos girls, and keep having fun.

Gallofa
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Some great pics! Thanks!!

PS -- Belated Hello to Gallofa! LTNS!!!!
You know I always find my way to the ASV threads :lol: ;)

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:39 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Some quite great pictures over here! WOOOW Arantxa :hearts: I'm so glad to see her in the semis... I she could win again... :angel: Good luck Arantxa and Sveta! You are the best team!!!

raquel
Sep 18th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Venus and Serena were both US open champs, off the top of my head, but still I bet Arantxa/Sveta are one of the few.

ASV has played with quite a few US Open champs - Davenport, Hingis, Navratilova, Seles and now Sveta. I know she has played doubles with all of them. Arantxa could do well with anyone though.

In that action shot, Arantxa looks really trim and in great shape. There is no doubt she could make a full comeback in doubles like Navratilova. I hope that she does somehow get the itch back and maybe if we hope for it enough it will come true :D

Good Luck in the semis girls :)

HectorMagnus
Sep 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM
:bounce: :bounce:

good luck ladies :yeah:

nice pics, thanks :)

TartarVicario
Sep 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM
I saw Arantxa on TV :hearts:.She encouraged Sveta the whole singles match because Sveta's coach is not there.She looked so good moreover they showed Arantxa dancing,Arantxa on the boat with Gisela and Ai and Arantxa in the Spa with Sveta :kiss:

KV
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM
On their way to a final spot 6-2 3-0 :D

Julian
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM
http://www.wismilaktennis.com/photo/galleries/16%20September%202004/double_kuznet_sanchez.jpg
Heres a caption!

Sveta: "wee Im U.S. Open champion! Im gonna be the next Arantxa!"
Arantxa: "sorry kid u need to win 3 more Grand slams to even come close!"

;)

Julian
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Congrats Girls! Good luck in the final!

TartarVicario
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Good luck in the final girls :yeah:

TartarVicario
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM
:bigcry: My dream ends :bigcry:

raquel
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:09 PM
:sad: :sad:

A great run though and Sveta must have been a bit tired as well, just a shame ASV couldn't get #102 but she looks likes she has been having fun in Bali :) Well done girls :yeah:

:wavey: wave! I hope we all get to meet again in another event and that this is not the last time :sad:

I think Arantxa has proved here and in Palermo that she is still competitive. Let's hope this is not the last event. Vamos ASV!

JonBcn
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Me too Racquel...I miss the old ASV cheering threads!

She was quoted after the Olympics as saying she ws finished with professional tennis, but might play events in the future "por amistad" (for friendship)...I guess she was referring to Bali, but you never know.

Arantxa should rise about 40 places with this result, leaving her just outside the top 100 with only 6 events - only Davenport, Clijsters and Pierce are better ranked with so few tournaments :)

KV
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Nothing to feel disappointed about Sveta/Arantxa did well to reach the final. Hopefully it won't be the last time they line-up. Arantxa playing with the one made in Spain.

wave
Sep 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Hey friends!
It's a pity that they didn't win the tourney. But I suppose that Sveta must be mighty tired.
And of course you are right, I also remembered that Arantxa played with Martina N. and H. doubles, and of course with Monica, too. Also with Davey?
I forgot about the Willies.:o

Aranxta lookes great. She looks even trimmer than some years ago. In the photo with the blue tennis dress, she looks rather thin.
I don't like so much the photo from the finals with her crazy hair style. She has nice hairs without that.:hearts:

About new tourneys: She has to decide herself, if she finds good partners, great, but she shouldn't travel for losing in the first round. Don't forget to enjoy your life, Arantxa! :D

HectorMagnus
Sep 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

desperately wanted them to win this title but :(

anyway congrats ladies, nice performance and dignified derniere :)