PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Coughlin...

aussie
Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Swimming is always my favourite part of any Olympics and this year was no exception. Every year my favourites seem to change around. When Sydney 2000 was on I was full on for Ian Thorpe(desptie being a Kiwi)...which is probably why I couldn't stand Michael Phelps at the start of the Games and cheered for Thorpe to win the so-called "Race of the Century".
But this year my new favourite happened to be Natalie Coughlin, the American swimmer who swam 100m backstroke under a minute, the first time anybody did so in the world. I know that Ian Thorpe is a massive celebrity in Australia(and around the world, especially in Japan) and it would be very surprising if no one heard of Michael Phelps' quest to do better than Spitz in terms of number of golds won at a single Olympic Games. But how well is Coughlin's celebrity established? I've heard she was once mentioned alongside Phelps a year out from the Olympics but a disasterous WC in Barcelona lowered her profile a bit...how big a media profile does she hold in the States? Is it anywhere near Phelps gets? But then again, she doesn't even seem to have an official site yet...

AjdeNate!
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Living in the states, before the games she was an unknown to non-swimming junkies and after I'm sure she'll fade right back there. I'm sure the US media and cereal boxes will all be clamoring for Carly whatever her name gymnast. Ya know the "New Mary Lou" :rolleyes: :p

aussie
Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:05 AM
Does anyone know if an online forum exists concerning US swimming? Anywhere...

Jeff
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
I like Natalie, as well as Amanda Beard. Both are great athletes and my favorite events are the backstroke and breaststroke. Swimming is over now. I'm sad :sad: There is hardly any coverage of swimming in the states, except for olympics and olympic trials.

Gowza
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
im surprised coughlin doesnt have more of a 'status' in the USA. she really is the female equivalent of phelps, she is great in all the strokes she does and she does pretty much all strokes, being an australian i dont get coverage of the american nationals but ive heard that coughlin does well in freestyle, butterfly, backstroke and the individual medaley (not sure what distances tho). i also heard she is the first female to qualify for every event in every distance for the nationals, if this is true it makes it even more surprising as to her 'low' status.