PDA

View Full Version : How do you motivate yourself when you have a difficult assignment at school/college?

Andre_UK
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:39 PM
I'm asking this question because I am currently writing the essay from hell. I just have no motivation and was wondering how others cope in similar situations :)

I'n getting so frustrated :mad: Any suggestions?

saki
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm in the same situation, and as far as I can tell there's no real solution except to get on with it! Obviously there are things you can do to help: work somewhere quiet, eat & sleep properly so you have energy. But ultimately, you've just got to get down and do it. And, on that note, I shall return to my essay!

Andre_UK
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Oh dear... I suppose you're right. Good luck with your assignment...may'be I need to reward myself after every completed paragraph or sometihng...

Jordan.
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Yikes,I just dont do it...:eek: But if its a big grade,I do it during classes at school.

Maajken
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Oh i know what you mean. Just do like i do, put it off til the very last moment and then hope you get struck by lightning so you wont have to do it.

When the moment's there, youll just get on with it and do it. Its as simple as that. You just need to get started :)

Kuilli
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:31 PM
I left all the essays for a last minute, so only motivation I needed was to beat the clock and get it done before the class started. ;) But, I wouldn't suggest doing the assignments that way although it always worked for me. ;)

Andre_UK
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Still here procrastinating...but it's good to know there are other ppl who dread those assignments as well. I guess I'd just better get on with it :)...
I think I had better start now as the essay has to be submitted by 5pm tomorrow (3000 words - yikes!).

Crazy Canuck
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:51 PM
I always just wait untill the absolute last minute and hope that adreniline will carry me throughout.

It usually works.

Though I wouldn't really reccomend it.

Ejective Stop
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Fear is always the best motivator. I can only look at those who actually complete their projects and assignments well in advance of the due date with envy and awe. Speaking of which, I now have 16 hours until my paper is due (only 1000 words, but it's supposed to be in Portuguese, so there's that). I suppose I'd better start thinking about what I'm going to write about.

Jetta
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Nothing can motivate you better than the feeling of having a paper due in 1-6 hours.

I think all the students procrastinate, It's one of those must-do things for them.

SM
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:25 AM
last year i did a 2500 wd report overnight, so it rules me out to give advice :o !!

just dont forget to stock up on RedBull , Coffee or whatever you fancy

marshmellow
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Angelica
Oh i know what you mean. Just do like i do, put it off til the very last moment and then hope you get struck by lightning so you wont have to do it.

lol http://216.40.198.77/mysmilies/s/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif

um, get someone to do it for you....

um, no, don't do that...

cramming has never let me down....but i'd rather get it over with as soon as i can so i can relax rather than have to stay up late the night before the deadline and look terrible the next mroning....

bee
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:30 PM
The thought of flunking the subject if I don't do the assignment usually motivates me to finish it...

:D :D :D
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Candy946
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:49 PM
My answer would have to be exactly like Kuilli's. Nothing really motivates me and somehow I always find myself procrastinating. I think for me, being under pressure helps me. We all have different ways in dealing with essays, and this one works for me most of the time, although I would not recomend it.

Anyways, Good Luck Andre :D

apoet29
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I'm an instructor and I can tell you that I have a hard time motivating students to complete their assignments without having to go through the "let me write a 1500 word essay overnight." Students still do this in spite of the fact that I give them class time to work on their papers.

I would recommend making a schedule for writing an essay. Work on it in small increments a week before it is due and then have someone (a peer evaluator or your instructor) read it for content and grammar errors before you turn it in. I would also recommend taking breaks during the writing phase. Write for an hour then take a break and clear your head. I know this strategy helped me get through writing my thesis.

Good luck to all students! :wavey:

moby
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:35 PM
well i do it by staring at it for hours with one sentence written

then when there's no time left to be wasted, i'll start doing it and complete it just on time. Motivation is that i wont have to "stay back and complete my work".

Randy H
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:53 PM
I do the same as most others have mentioned it, usually work on things at night when there's not much time left to do it. I'm so focused on getting it done and it forces me to get my brain in gear and think. Usually I can come up with a few ideas to get the ball rolling and then it's good to go from there (until the next morning when I'm so tired I feel like I'm on my death bed :o).