PDA

View Full Version : Back or knees : a health question

Josh
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Say you drop your keys to the floor. What's the best (read : healthiest) way to pick them up? Bending over until you can pick them up with your hands or going through your knees without bending over?

:confused:

per4ever
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:40 PM
if it are just keys..they are both equally healthy.

if it's something heavy you have to go through to your knees.

Daniel
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Bending over until you can pick them up i guess

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Julie
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

OMG - Dont oyu know this Josh - you mean there is something oyu dont know ;)

You should go through your knees for everything you pick up, even if its keys. If its heavy its worse - but it is possible to injure your back by lifting anything inappropriately :o

Consider yourself informed ;)

:wavey:

Josh
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:44 PM

I heard that it's healthier to go through your knees but I didn't know that the weight of the object was important.

Josh
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Thanks Miss Julie! lol

So the weight doesn't play a role after all! lol

Daniel
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:50 PM
no , cause it does not matter if the object is small or big, u always have to bend your knees, well that is what my teacher told me

:) :) :) :) :) :)

hingis-seles
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Since, aches and pains are being discussed.....

When I finished working out today, there was a slight, dull ache in my right elbow which went away after a couple of minutes. Later on, when I picked up my racquet to take a few practice swings and serves, that ache would come whenever I would pull back and then swing.

I was wondering...am I making too much out of nothing or should I be concerned?

gentenaire
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:27 PM
It's better to go through your knees, but if that takes too long you can just bend over but kick one of your legs backwards while doing so.

Julie
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by hingis-seles
Since, aches and pains are being discussed.....

When I finished working out today, there was a slight, dull ache in my right elbow which went away after a couple of minutes. Later on, when I picked up my racquet to take a few practice swings and serves, that ache would come whenever I would pull back and then swing.

I was wondering...am I making too much out of nothing or should I be concerned?

What work do you do?, How often do you play tennis, did you knock your elbow at work etc even just slightly.

Personally id see how it goes for a bit and if its still there or getting worse or lasting longer then see someone about it. it doesnt sound like anthing serious at the moment though from what oyu say anyway.

:wavey:

Hurley
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Absolutely, knees, knees, knees. Though if it's only keys and you drop them infrequently, it wouldn't kill you to bend at the waist.

Seeing as how Josh started this thread, and noting the title, I figured that this was another sex thread in Non-Tennis... :p

Julie
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
a sex thread in non tennis hurley :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - surely that never happens :p :p :p

Hurley
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Silly me :D

Josh
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:42 PM
I knew some pervert (ahem :p) would turn this into a sex thread! ;)

Barrie_Dude
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Backs can be very tricky. Often it is not the weight of an item that is important, it is how you move! I've known people to throw their backs out by turning, twisting or bending the wrong way.

Julie
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Which is why oyu bend through the knees, keeping th eback straight :p :p

Dahveed
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
What a nice excuse to get on your knees Josh, dropping your keys, i never thought about it ;)

gentenaire
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:27 PM
LOL Dahveed

I hope you don't mind that I've passed you by.

Dahveed
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:29 PM
I'm just falling in the abyss of the wtaworld list of members but i think i'll get over it ;)

Josh
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:39 PM
I don't get ON my knees Dahveed, I bend through them! You silly nitwit! :p

Josh
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Besides getting on your knees is not very healthy either, isn't that right Doctor Julie? :D

Dahveed
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Oh whatever! We all know it's sexual-related anyway :p

Josh
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Oh I sense another pervert! :p

Dahveed
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Hmm who? :confused:

:p

Giuliano
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Did you sense I was on the board or what? :o

Josh
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:00 PM
I was talking about the other pervert but I expected you anyway. ;)

Tweety
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Coming back to the topic ;)
If you have problems with both, knees and back (as an old thing like me ;)), you better ask someone else to pick the key up for you :angel:

Josh
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:29 PM
That's what we call lazy, Miss Tweety. :p ;)

Tweety
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:32 PM
http://perso.club-internet.fr/ttle/tennis/horror.gif You got me http://perso.club-internet.fr/ttle/tennis/dissolved.gif

hingis-seles
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, Julie!

Actually when I said I was working out, I meant I was lifting weights.....dumbells to be exact!

I skipped it today and my elbow feels perfectly fine!

Thanks for replying! :)

Btw, what's with the obsession with sex-related threads on the Non-Tennis forum?:rolleyes: