PDA

View Full Version : Russian Team Selection

Edward.
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Continue our discussion from the "Masha and Masha in doubles- when?" thread here. ;)

Dan23
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Cause she wouldn't feel comfortable knowing Demented and Nasty don't feel that she should be on the team
On the otherhand I think that Maria may be keen to get on the team and show her fellow countrywomen that she means business and really wants to play for her country and play well. She would surely then build up some respect from her team mates.

but it would be a cooler team than what they have now. even if they dont boot out nastya they've GOTTA boot out Dementieva... she's simply not as good as some of the others in my view.
I think that Dementieva is one of Russia's best players and should be on the team.
If shes not very good, how has she held down the number 6 rank for some time now?
On her day she can destroy opponents.

My picks for the Russian team would currently be:
Myskina, Sharapova, Dementieva and Zvonareva.

:)

Edward.
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Dan- your team is the same as I would choose.

Dementieva (I will refrain from calling her her other name..for now..) is a good player but she is very inconsistent. And as has been well documented, her serve is an enormous weak point.

Myskina is also a good player and her ranking reflects this. It would make no sense at all to drop her, unless she was injured, or not 100%.

Zvonareva is also a great player and slowly improving. If she can handle her temper tantrums, she will be even better. The fact that she is a friend of Marias also helps.

Lemonskin.
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:04 AM
Dementieva is there because of a few lucky draws. When was the last time she beat one of the big guns?

Edward.
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM
Last time I recall was when she beat Mauresmo at Roland Garros.

Dan23
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Its a bit late now but I think there'd be a few Russians who would have liked Maria in their Olympic team.
It would have been good to see where she could have got to but im sure Masha will be the first into the 2008 Olympic team :)

Frank
Aug 22nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
It's a pity she didn't play at this Olympics...I mean...I have nothing against Alicia Molik, but if she can win a medal...Than Masha surely also can...

Dan23
Aug 22nd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah Masha would surely have been up there in the medal matches. :)

I think Maria vs Alicia would be a great match to watch at the moment, Alicia is red hot and we know how well Maria's been hitting it. :cool:

Edward.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Maria would beat Molik. She caned her in Birmingham.