PDA

View Full Version : Munich Masters to be axed!

Philip
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Dunno if this was already posted, but anyway :)

Wta officals are thinking off moving the Sanex Wta Masters back to the States after the 2001 event was "unsuccessfull" in ticket sales and popularity.

this info came on ceefax page 337, for british poeple.

Great for monica, i always prefered it in new york anyway, the atmosphere was much better than it was in Munich.

Doesn't say if it will go back to new york however, just the states.

:)

per4ever
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Move it to Belgium :D

Philip
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I think is should go to city of Leeds. ;)

Brian Stewart
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
I saw this at the Tennisreporters site.

If it moves back to the US, New York would be a better choice than LA. I'd like to see it in MSG again.

Of course, they need at least 1 US lead-up event. Philly would be ideal again. It would have been possible to move the Nice event back, and swap Linz back to the spring. But with the successful relocation to Antwerp, that could get complicated.

I don't forsee any of the fall indoor primary events getting relocated/axed. The only other option is bumping the Championships back a week (with Pattaya) and shoe-horning a new Philly event in front of it.

Jippo McScally
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:59 PM
YAY!!!!!!! MONICA CAN PLAY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :kiss: :hearts: :D :)

hingis-seles
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM
YAY!!!!!

Go00o0oo0 MONICA!!!!~

babsi
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Initially I agreed with the decision for it to be moved to Munich as I couldn't see the point of playing in Europe all those weeks and then just going to the US for 2 weeks.

But after last year's debacle at Munich I would like to see it moved. Back to MSG as I have many happy memories of when that tournament was played there, every year the tournament was very dramatic.

I think they should move the Chase 1 week forward and slot in either Philadelphia or Chicago in, but I doubt it can be done like that this year as it is probably too short notice.

GrandSlammed
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Take it to HOLLYWOOD!!!

LOL.

Kart
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
I think I'll reserve judgement until they're sure it's going to be moved.

It wouldn't surprise me if it remains in Munich.

Ryan
Mar 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Move it to Canada so I can see it!! j/k

I think it shoudl be moved from Munich, the Sattes have so much there, but I think moving it to New York would be much better.

auntie janie
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
How about someplace a little more inviting at that time of year? Northern Florida, south Texas, Mexico, Jamaica, Bermuda! :cool:

Zl@tko
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:16 PM
I hope they will move it.

Jakeev
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:25 PM
It would be outstanding for all if it came back to the States. Women's tennis is more popular than ever and it's a shame it left Madison Square Garden to begin with.

wongqks
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:37 PM
I think for the sake of women tennis, moving back to US is not a bad idea at all, although we are not really looking at the big picture that where will the money came from? The chance is that this year master will have a smaller pool of money but that should not be an issue at all. I personally think that although moving back to US seems a great idea, but the sscheduling may not allow it to do so, coz you cannot suddenly add another american tournament into the calender or suddenly cancel the europe tournament the week before and put on a high tier event in america. I think for this year anyway, it will make sense to stay in Europe, I personally think that Belgium or France will be great coz they can almost guarantee huge crowd since both countries love women tennis, but ultimately, I think the WTA will try to incorporate the schedule and make it back to US, which is where the spotlight are on.

xan
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Britain could do with a big indoor tournament.

But really I think its a bit soon to consider moving it again.

Tatiana Panova
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:43 PM
I think this a really good decision because last year was pretty dire, and nobody seemed to be there!! I say take it to New York because that is the only place fitting for the end of year championships.

Lindsayfan
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:44 PM
i hope they move it in NY or in LA,maybe in the Staple Center! :bounce:

Iconoclast
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:09 PM
With Graf and Huber retired, German women tennis is in a bit of a slump. Also, it's hard to generate the same kind of interest as in the US the first year the tournament is running in Munich.

The DTB (German Tennis Federation) is one of the most powerful national federations with over 2 million members. Still, they are rather slamless unlike lesser tennis nations. I didn't mention Britain, did I? Awarding them the Championships was probably a way too compensate.

But it has to go back. For now.

Mikey
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
Of course, they need at least 1 US lead-up event. Philly would be ideal again.

The only other option is bumping the Championships back a week (with Pattaya) and shoe-horning a new Philly event in front of it.

wow! if they had a philly event involved w/ this - that would be amazing! i used to go every year to the advanta tournament in philly.

it would also be great if they moved it ANYWHERE outside of germany so that monica can play (and i would love for it to be in the states somewhere so maybe i could go! :bounce: )

does anyone know if this is "official" or rumored to be official?

Philip
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:33 PM
like i said:

the wta officals are talking about it.
its up to them if they move it or decide to give another year.

it came from tv, so i doubt that they are thinking of it is rumored

Oizo
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:38 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

anton
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:56 PM
maybe they should move it place to place every year like the men

SM
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:22 AM
i heard in a few years sydney is a potential place to hold it?.they had the masters in sydney last year , now we need the goddam wta champ'ships

Williams Rulez
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Yes yes!! Move it back to New York!! I'd be so pleased!!! :D

rhz
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:15 AM
these cities should be considered as options

New York City
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Sydney
Paris
London
Tokyo

or any other big cities outside Germany

so Monica could play:wavey: :wavey:

selesfan1
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:57 AM
pleaaassssssssssssssssssseeeeeee let Oklahoma City be the lead up event.

BB
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Monica would be very welcome in Germany! :confused:

Monica_Rules
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:39 AM
It should be moved it was crap in munich last year! MSG was a much better venue!

louisa2k2
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
If they do move it around it should be manchester instead of London cos thats were wimbledon is and i cant get down there. so it would just be another tournament that is so close but still to far away which is really annoying.

Louisa

Cersei
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:23 AM
i agree...move it to Belgium

thefreedesigner
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:45 AM
I think it's a shame that after only 1 year they are going to move it.

Have to say that I really loved the excitement that seemed to be generated when it was at MSG... and agree that Munich did not live up to that.

I also have to say that I was not in agreement with those who suggested that Munich should be moved for the benefit of one player - no matter what the circumstances were (and I deeply understand those circumstances).

I think maybe we discussed this before, but I would be totally in favour of moving it around between 4 venues every 4 years...

US (New York - MSG)
Asia (my choice would be Tokyo... but hey!)
Europe (I still think there is a lot of scope for having a big money-making tournament in Germany.... it's a big tennis country and doesn't hold a GS).

I'd like to see it in Sydney, but not sure they could justify all that travel etc.

Aloysius
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:14 PM
It would be both symbolic and most convenient to hold the event in London.

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:55 PM
dosent matter, the WTA race is "Race To Munich",
& i think that the 2003 schedual was already presented so the closest year it can be moved is 2004

selesfan
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind if they played in London either.:)

Brian Stewart
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM
It looks like things are proceeding at a faster pace than expected. I figured any changes would be for next year, but it looks like it might be moved this year to....

the Staples Center, in Los Angeles. I don't know if this will be a temp move before a possible return to New York next year, or what the final outcome will be. It wouldn't make sense for the players to have to cross 8 or 9 time zones from Europe to play the year-end Championships. Not to mention playing all of those late matches in LA relative to East Coast time (and moreso to Europe) won't help the television logistics.

They're supposedly discussing moving the Manhattan Beach tourney to a new venue.

Here's an article with more details:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-000018062mar11.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dsports% 2Dtennis

Tweety
Mar 11th, 2002, 07:14 PM
:sad:

Oizo
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:47 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: