PDA

View Full Version : Mary vs Justine 4.6 4.6

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM
She lost but I think we have to be proud of her, she really had a very good olympics games.

Mary we will se you at the US Open

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Mark Spruce
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I am so very proud of Mary !!!!!!!!!!

Mary you did great and see you at the next Olympics !!!!!!!!

You are the best and always will be.

take care

Mark

mamno_MARYFAN
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Oh too bad...she lost....:sad:

I managed to tape this match form start to finish...Mary played great...100& high quality tennis from both players from start to finish....i kept waiting for Mary to break Henin-Hardene especially in the 2nd set....but it didn't happen...:eek:

Never mind...I think that Henin-Hardene was too sharp today...she was really focused from start to finish...I felt that if Henin-Hardene let loose just a little on her service game Mary would be cracking her any time....:mad:

Mary serve pretty well too...higher percentage than Henin-Hardene...so I felt that throughout all this while Mary has been improving...getting better and better...antime now for a Mary to breakthrough completely....

Mary looked divine on tv tonite too!!!!!:hearts:

One thing that really irks me tonite...the commentator said that even though Henin-Hardene won 6-4 6-4...."it never felt that close"...What a jack-ass!!!!
Mary was CRACKING tonite and Henin-Hardene really earned her win by really staying focused on her serve and if she lost just a bit of it tonite...Mary would be breaking her....:fiery:

Oh well tough luck...still very well done Mary!!!:angel:

Rest well...good luck for the US open!!!:bounce:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

NicoMary
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Great run:worship: ...good training for the USO:bounce: A bit more fitness and Mary will be back to the top

MissTennisFan
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Oh I think Mary can definitely look back on this week with a great sense of pride, taking out the defending champion -- Venus Williams, no less -- is no mean feat... and Mary did give JHH a run for her money today. So congratulations, Mary!

marion
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:39 PM
:fiery: :mad: :fiery: pour justine
:fiery: pour amelie a cause du double

I love Mary
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM
No improve ranking :sad: :sad:

remyremy
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Congratulations Mary !!! :worship: A very good olympic championship and a great match today. She must be proud of her. She played like a top 10 player thiis week. Only a very good henin ( :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: ) could win. So many thanks from France :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:55 PM
There is something that i'm happy for,is that Mary up set soome of venus's fans.
Some of them said bad stuffs about her so, thank you Mary.

One of them said Mary is just an half of french, an half of american and an half of canadian, well I have just one thing to tell this person. What is an american???

Sorry guys, but, this is so pathetic. Nobody can win all the time, get some RESPECT

MissTennisFan
Aug 19th, 2004, 08:27 PM
There is something that i'm happy for,is that Mary up set soome of venus's fans.
Some of them said bad stuffs about her so, thank you Mary.

One of them said Mary is just an half of french, an half of american and an half of canadian, well I have just one thing to tell this person. What is an american???

Sorry guys, but, this is so pathetic. Nobody can win all the time, get some RESPECT

People can just make some of the most inappropriate comments. What was Mary supposed to do anyway? Go out there and lose intentionally so Venus could make it to the next round? Venus was gracious in defeat and said that Mary played a great match, perhaps her fans should just follow her example rather than criticize Mary.

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Heureusement que l'on n'est pas comme certain d'entre eux :bounce:

MissTennisFan
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Heureusement que l'on n'est pas comme certain d'entre eux :bounce:

T'as bien raison! T'es pas sur MSN?

nouf
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM
http://membres.lycos.fr/elishapowa/albums/mary/

Toutes mes caps du match !

enjoy!

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Je suis là, j'étais en train de regarder un film

sebbe
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Oh too bad...she lost....:sad:

I managed to tape this match form start to finish...Mary played great...100& high quality tennis from both players from start to finish....i kept waiting for Mary to break Henin-Hardene especially in the 2nd set....but it didn't happen...:eek:

Never mind...I think that Henin-Hardene was too sharp today...she was really focused from start to finish...I felt that if Henin-Hardene let loose just a little on her service game Mary would be cracking her any time....:mad:

Mary serve pretty well too...higher percentage than Henin-Hardene...so I felt that throughout all this while Mary has been improving...getting better and better...antime now for a Mary to breakthrough completely....

Mary looked divine on tv tonite too!!!!!:hearts:

One thing that really irks me tonite...the commentator said that even though Henin-Hardene won 6-4 6-4...."it never felt that close"...What a jack-ass!!!!
Mary was CRACKING tonite and Henin-Hardene really earned her win by really staying focused on her serve and if she lost just a bit of it tonite...Mary would be breaking her....:fiery:

Oh well tough luck...still very well done Mary!!!:angel:

Rest well...good luck for the US open!!!:bounce:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

I also managed to tape this match. But I don't agree with you about Mary playing like 100% good. She didn't play that good.
As usual the problem is her movement. I really waited throughout the whole match that she would start to move faster but it naver happend.
She hit quite many not understandable errors. I mean, she probably felt pressure to hit many winners and to shorten down the ralies. But she doesn't give herselft the time to create some opportunities.
But as you said, Mary served really well, smart serving. She played very good at the net and she stayed very focused. I feel though that the scores could have been 6-4 6-4 to Mary. I believe that Mary's returns was the key this match because she didn't return Justine's serves to good.

I am really happy this about this week. I really enjoyed this match and I have to admitt that I was almost content that she had reached the quaters, so for me it's not a big deal that she lost. Of course it had been soo fun to have her in she semis. But hey, she did beat Nadia and Venus this week.
I really looking forward to UsOpen.
Good Luck Mary and be proud of yourself.

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Hey does someone noticed that Mary did win against 2 top ten players, 2 in a row !!
This did not happen since her injury in 2000

Mark Spruce
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Hi Saby

That is great I did not notice that.

Hey I will mail you later on.

take care

Mark

sebbe
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Just a short interview..

ATHENS, 19 August - Comments from M.PIERCE

J. HENIN‑HARDENNE/M. Pierce

6‑4, 6‑4

An interview with: MARY PIERCE

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Just want to ask you a question about the transformative nature of winning a Grand Slam tournament. Sort of go back to when you won your first Grand Slam. How did that change your life in negative and positive ways?

MARY PIERCE: That's a good question. I haven't been asked that one in a while (smiling). How did that change my life? Well, a lot of different ways. Gosh, where do you start with that one? You just are recognized a lot more everywhere you go. You feel like you don't have a lot of privacy, going out in public. It changes your life in a way financially as well. I was able to buy a house after that, which I really was not able to do before. You have a lot more demands on your time, so you have a lot less free time for yourself personally. Expectations, pressure, sometimes that can come along with it from exterior, media, fans.

Q. When you first won in '95, did it seem like there were any negatives then or did it all seem like a positive thing? Nine years later, can you look back and say, "This was good," and, "This was not so good"?

MARY PIERCE: I didn't like people looking at me all the time, walking by and saying my name as if I was deaf and couldn't hear them, you know. I was like, "I can hear what they're saying. Why would they do that?" I was really young. I was 20 years old, so there was a lot of things were difficult for me. The only good thing about it was that I actually won the tournament, which was one of my goals, one of my dreams, to win a Grand Slam tournament. I love playing in Australia. You know, that was the only thing.

Q. What do you think someone like Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS) is going through now, winning Wimbledon at 17? Can you relate to that?

MARY PIERCE: Gosh, I mean, 17 is really young. 17, 20, what's the difference? You know, I have no idea. I mean, I have no idea because we're two totally different people. And how she does things and handles things and reacts to things is different than I do. So I don't know.

Q. You started talking about how the world looks at you externally. How did it change you internally?

MARY PIERCE: At a young age, it can make you very conscious about yourself. You know, 'cause everybody's looking at everything, you know, what you say, what you wear, what you eat, you know, and all that kind of stuff.

Q. Self‑conscious maybe not necessarily in a good way?

MARY PIERCE: Self‑conscious I don't think is good. Yeah, in general, but, yeah, I just ‑‑ yeah, it can be very funny. It's very important, the people you have around you, have a good environment, people that you trust. That's very important.

Q. Would you give any advice to Maria at this point?

MARY PIERCE: No (laughing). I think she's doing great. I mean, if she needs advice, I'm sure she has people that are there to advise her. If she wants advice from me, I'm sure she can ask me herself. I think the most important thing is to continue to enjoy it and don't take it too seriously. I mean, sometimes I started taking it too serious and made it more of a job and work instead of why I was really doing it, just for the pleasure and enjoyment of it. Just remember that part.

Q. What is your motivation of taking part in Olympics?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, well, the Olympics is, you know, very special. It's only every four years. It's an honor to be here amongst, you know, all the other great athletes of the world, of their country, of their sport. It's amazing. It's completely different than a tournament for me. It means a lot more in a different way. It's just very special.

Q. Martina said she's still playing because ‑‑ she said she played this year because of the Olympics, not to go back to Wimbledon like we all thought. Knowing you've won Grand Slams, does this tournament matter as much? Could you see it mattering if you'd won as many times as she did?

MARY PIERCE: If I had won this, would it matter, you mean? I don't understand.

Q. You've already won a Grand Slam.

MARY PIERCE: Uh‑hmm.

Q. How would you tell people this matters?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, this totally does matter. I don't look at this as a tournament. I look at it as a sport event where, you know, before we weren't playing for points, now we do. There's no money. It's really just a medal, and that's really what the Olympics is about ‑ sports and the Olympics. So, I mean, yeah, it's completely different.

Q. If it was a Grand Slam, do you think you would have tried to play yesterday?

MARY PIERCE: Doubles, you mean?

Q. Yeah.

MARY PIERCE: No, definitely not. I mean, doesn't make a difference if it's Grand Slam tournament, the Olympics or whatever. I mean, health is number one before anything in life. Amelie (MAURESMO - FRA) wasn't doing so well. The most important thing was for her to feel better and be healthy.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

saby
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Ok I wait for it

see you Mark

MissTennisFan
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Sebbe -- thank you so much for posting that interview, I really enjoyed it. One does eventually get sick of questions along the lines of "So, is this a disappointing loss?".... duhh! These questions were original for a change...

Anyway, thanks again! :wavey:

remyremy
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Hi sebbe !

I really disagree with you when you say that Mary didn't moove well. I'm always the first to say that Mary is slow or that she takes some pounds when it's true, but today :eek: Ok Mary is not so fit than she used to, but I think she will never be like that again. She's 29 , she's a little bigger (sorry Mary) than 5 or 10 years ago but she's really more powerful too.

And if you pay attention, Mary's mobility problems already existed when she was very fit : take a look at the Australian open final 97. Mary was so slow. I think that i'ts a problem she always had and the key is in Mary's mind and not in the pounds ! And this week I feel she is peaceful and very motivated and I saw her moving a lot during and between the points. I was so happy to see her like that :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: .

In another hand, I totaly agree with you about Mary's returns : too much errors. She tried to do things, we cannot blame her. Without those returns errors, she could definitely win. And about the rallys : of course Mary must not play rallys with a player like henin. In contrary to Venus, henin doesn't make errors. So mary tried hard things and she succeeded a lot, but not enough.

No, really, it's the first time that a Mary's lost doesn't make me sad :angel: . I hope it will be the same for you :)
Bye !

Andy.
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Congratulations Mary on an excellent tournament. you have made me proud i hope you had lots of fun and are excited for the US Open. Good work Mary.

aimee20
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:13 AM
i have no regret. she's doing great. :worship:
her draw is ridiculous anyway :mad: i've never blame it before but this time it's really bothering me. How come she manages to get the worst draw in like every tournament. look at other qua of the draw :mad:

Scotso
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Great tournament Mary! :kiss:

Still :sad: though :(

Mark Spruce
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks so much for the interview

regards

mark

Tylane
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM
"J'ai fait tout ce que je pouvais. Ce n'étais pas un bon match, mais pas mauvais non plus. Justine a très bien joué, j'en étais même étonnée. J'ai vu ce qu'était aujourd'hui une numéro un mondiale", a déclaré Pierce.

"Si c'était un tournoi normal, je tirerai des points positifs de cette semaine. Mais là, c'est les Jeux, alors s'arrêter en quart de finale et ne pas pouvoir faire de médaille, c'est dur."

Mary Pierce a été conquise par les JO et compte bien rester quelques jours afin de "voir d'autres sports et d'encourager Amélie", avant de rejoindre New York pour l'US Open, via un détour par Paris.

Histoire de profiter aussi encore un peu du village où elle s'est fait une nouvelle copine, Christine Arron, avec qui elle partage, entre autres, un appartement.

Ohh cool, I love Christine ARRON !!! :)

Tylane
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Please Sebbe, where did you find Mary's interview ??
I'd like to find other interviews of players and I really don't know how to search in the web !!!!

saby
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Mary is Christine room mate for the olympics games :bounce: so cool 2 of my favourites french athlets together :wavey:

Mary you are great

Come on Christine take the gold medal, i'm sure Mary is going to cheer you as load as she can :lol:

Declan
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:51 PM
i have no regret. she's doing great. :worship:
her draw is ridiculous anyway :mad: i've never blame it before but this time it's really bothering me. How come she manages to get the worst draw in like every tournament. look at other qua of the draw :mad:

That's true; she's been plagued with difficult draws all year. Maybe the US Open will be different....

Andy.
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Mary is Christine room mate for the olympics games :bounce: so cool 2 of my favourites french athlets together :wavey:

Mary you are great

Come on Christine take the gold medal, i'm sure Mary is going to cheer you as load as she can :lol:

thats really cool i have been a fan of Christine Arron for a long time. its cool that to of my favourite sports stars are rooming.

sebbe
Aug 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hi Remyremy

I know that her movements always has been a problem for Mary and I know that. But everybody knows and you too know that Mary can move much better then she did yesterday. For exemple in the end of last season and in Open Gaz de France, she moved so much faster. And she was in the same size last year as she is now. Of course I understand that Mary is doing everything she can to move faster. But I mean like when Justine was going to serve, Mary just stood there and waited. And when Justine hit a forehand mabye 3 meters from Mary all she could do was to slice or hit a loop. Almost all other players would have hit it back with a usual shot.
I'm not criticizing Mary to be mean in any way, I just want Mary to be happy and the reason why I'm talking so much about her movement is beacuse I would really stint Mary some success. I would be so happy for her.

I don't see why Mary can't play rallies with Justine. I mean most of them will Justine win but Mary is hitting to many errors if she play like she did yesterday. What I mean is that she mabye could have tried to built up some points, just wait a few balls. Justine is not a robot, she won't hit a winner in every shot that Mary place near the middle of the court. But the maintactics is the best as you said, shorten down the rallies as much as possible.

And as you said, I wasn't that sorry as I use to be after a defeat.
I was so content with Mary reaching the quarters here.

sebbe
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Please Sebbe, where did you find Mary's interview ??
I'd like to find other interviews of players and I really don't know how to search in the web !!!!

Hey there!.....here comes the adress

http://www.athens2004.com/en/resultsTennis/results?dcpnews=1&rsc=TE0000000

VertParis
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Just a few words about what l'Equipe says today about Mary's defeat :
"She fought with courage, taking her chance everytime she could, but JHH was at least as strong as she was before her health problems [...] Less released than against Venus Williams, Pierce leaves these Olympic Games with a mitigated feeling : "if it was a normal tournament, I would say to myself that I did good matches, found again sensations I haven't felt for years: only good things. But that's Olympic Games, I'm not in semi-final, I can't try to get a medal, and that's a big deception" The player will however come out of this competition with increase stature, as the woman, more natural and released than never before, finally without her habitual simpering airs..."

ashwu
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: