I think the old Boca Raton tournament always produced great tennis and enthusiastic fans. There were some classic Graf-Sabatini clashes there with some of Gaby's finest results.
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:44 AM
The masters in New York, it just wasn`t same on tv last year!
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:46 AM
I agree with irma, the masters in new york were much better :)
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:08 PM
I agree you couldn't be a good night in The Garden. The Munich event just lacked enthusiasm from the fans.
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
I would have to agree I do miss the Boca Raton tournament a lot. It was called the Virginia Slims of Florida right?
I also miss:
- Essen (The Nokia Grand Prix): In the days when Monika used to play in Germany.
- Wesley Chapel (The Light N Lively championships): I was just going to start a thread on this actually, whatever happened to that tournament? I remember it was a "doubles" only tournament
- Houston (The virginia slims of Houston): this was part of the green clay series. What happened to this tournament too? :(
- Philadelphia: Althought it wasn't that long ago, I do miss it, I think that Philadelphia, Chase Champ back-to-back at the end of the year was really nice.
- Rhode Island (Hall of Fame tennis?): I'm not too sure about the name but I knew it was the only grass tournament post Wimbledon and Zina Garrison won it a few times I think. It was gone by the early 90's I think. Someone tell me what happened to it, please.
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Houston was good for me too as a Seles fan. It has special memories for her. I miss the Eckerd Openn too as those 4 weeks of US clay tournaments usually produced some good tennis.
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
boca raton/delray beach was nice too, I know it was skipped in 96 because indians wells became a 10 days tier 1 tournament but I liked it and Steffi owned it in the end :cool:
San Antonio was great too :cool:
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Barcelona :sad: I used to be a ballboy there and saw Monica, Martina, Arantxa...
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:55 PM
The Chase Championships in New York and our very own Philadelphia tournament in which I was a volunteer every year.:sad:
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:44 PM
The Chase in New York
IGA Superthrift in OK City
Advanta in Philadelphia
Amertiech in Chicago
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:58 PM
because I always seem to be in the West Indies at around the time Wimbledon is on
*sigh* it's a hard life
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:15 PM
The indoor tournament that used to be held in Brighton in October. It's a while ago now since they held it there, maybe 8/10 years ago, but I still miss it! :sad: