PDA

View Full Version : Overhyped films

LittleTennisFan
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:47 AM
What films do you think were too overhyped? Like they were good films, but not that good.

Here's my list:

Moulin Rouge - was a good enjoyable film, but not that great as crictics made it out. i thought some of the singing was poor, though not from Nicole and Ewan.
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005RDOK.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Full Monty - a huge disappointment I think, The best part was the finale (obviously).
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004TBSY.02.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Pearl Harbour - No comment. Crap acting
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QB7O.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I hate it when films are overhyped.

bluepastures
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Completely agree with you about Moulin Rouge. Like Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet, I thought the music came first and the storyline second. I found Moulin Rouge a fairly shallow film.

Other films that I found overhyped include: Gladiator (almost like film-making hadn't progressed since the days of Ben Hur, little character development).

Oh, and I hate tub-thumping American war-films like Pearl Harbour and Black Hawk Down
And don't even get me started about Titanic :eek:

P.S just so I don't appear all negative. My favourite films are:

1) Amelie
2) Before Sunrise (Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke)
3) Contact

irma
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:17 AM
the english patient why that movie won oskars is beyond me!
as good as it gets was better as the movie above but still I know much better comedies!
titanic okee I liked it(till the ship starts sinking) it but best romantic movie ever no way!

gentenaire
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings

shirley
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Overhyped films.

Bridget Jones's Diary - Liked the look of it so I bought the video and thought it was crap. The music is much better. All the so-called funny bits are shown in the trailor. It hated this film.

Titanic - Rubish. How this got nominated for something like 11 Oscars I'll never know.

Gladiator - too long. I thought the visual effects were "cheap". How did it beat Erin Brockovich for Best Film I'll never know
:rolleyes:

Moulin Rouge - a wee bit too over the top for me. I liked it but it wasn't the spectacular everyone talked about.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005Q3Y5.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

gentenaire
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
and how could I forget Star Wars?! I kept on checking my watch during that film, I was so glad when it was over.

bee
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Eyes Wide Shut - 3 hours of crap!!

Nina_rus
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:12 PM
agree with irma that the english patient wasn't worth all the praise and I just really dislike Ralph Fiennes
I haven't seen Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbour and never wanted to

Josh
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Very few movies live up to the expectations.

cullen
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Blair Witch Project.

If I hear the name Josh once more I think I'll go bonkers!;)

shirley
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:54 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005AMEL.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

God, that movie was absolute dross. I bought it 'cause I thought it looked good and scary. How wrong was I? :rolleyes:

-Sonic-
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:21 PM
eeeek, i loved moulin rouge and bridget jones.

i don't think pearl harbour was overhyped, every critic in the world said it was poo... even the tv adverts here were saying "see for yourself" n stuff like that, as if they had to bow down to the critic's views.

i think any film in which tom hanks or russell crowe or (enter actor acadamy loves) playing a mentally ill or underdog type will be overhyped cos of the oscar hype... or any film in which an american joe saves the world cos of his extraordinary juggling skills or something equally as benal.

manuelanmaggielover
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
completely agree about Blair Witch Project, that was bad!
Godzilla, Bad!
English Patient, wasnt crazy about it
Pearl Harbour...hmmm:(

Mercury Rising
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Blair witch project BAH!
Pulp Fiction
Rosetta (worst movie I ever saw)
English Patient

AjdeNate!
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Let's see here's my list:

1. Anything to do with Jim Carrey.
2. Anything to do with Julia Roberts.
3. Anything to do with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
4. Any US war movie with Mel Gibson as the hero...
5. Any sci-fi piece of crap with 16 sequeles (i.e. Star Wars).

gentenaire
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:45 PM
oh yes, how could I forget Blair Witch Project. I'm glad I'm not the only who hated it.

Seles, you're right about Jim Carey, I can't stand the guy!!

Jetta
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:50 PM
I think Crossroads (Britney Spears film) was a bit overhyped. It was probably one of the worse movies I've ever seen:rolleyes:

Nina_rus
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:50 PM
there was actually one movie that I loved with Schwarzenegger- Jingle all the way. And I loved The Truman Show with Carrey

I think Lord of The Rings was a bit overhyped. It was good but it was not the movie I thought about, I just saw it and forgot about it.
And there is also a Russian movie called "the Barber of Siberia" which I REALLY dislike and it was so popular...

Maajken
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Omg how can you guys say that about The English Patient. That movie was excellent!

I think LOTR, Star Wars, Godzilla and Gladiator were higly overrated.

Nina_rus
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Another movie I didn't get was Traffic, I actually fell asleep watching it

*Bubbles*
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Gladiator
Billy Elliot
Me Myself & Irene

bluepastures:
I really liked Before Sunrise too. Now there's an underrated movie. Everyone I know has never even heard of it....

bluepastures
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:12 PM
No, Mumin, not many people have heard of the films I like (Amelie excepted). Indeed if a film wins an Oscar, I usually won't like it, because the films that win Oscars tend to be middle-of-the-road, uncontroversial, and unoriginal.

Evey
Mar 10th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Gladiator

Blair Witch Project

Pearl Harbor

Brαm
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Cool topic :D

Have to agree on LOTR here! Well, I only saw the 2nd one & that was enough. Too much is too much!

KV
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Considering it won an oscar "La vita e bella"

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:53 AM
The Return of the King! If you guys can only see the type of hype I have to put up with on Oscar sites about the supposed "sweep" that ROTK will be doing at next year's Oscars. They speak like they have crystal balls sitting infront of them. :o

FYI, I'm pretty sure ROTK will not win Best Picture. It's not in Academy's style or taste.

JonBcn
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Moulin Rouge was one of the worst films I've ever sat through.

Lord of the Rings was like some big secret nobody had let me in on.

Vanilla Sky was like having my toe nails ripped out one by one,

and the Sixth Sense was made out to be the cleverest film ever, but I spoilt it for everyone that was with me by working out the big twist after about 15 minutes.

Boo to Hollywood!

Monica_Rules
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Gladiator- Boring

The 6th sense-I knew the 'twist' when i saw it but its really obvious!

I have to disagree about LOTR i think its brilliant but i think you have to like fantasy to be able to enjoy it.

irma
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:23 PM
casablanca

Fieke
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Eyes Wide Shut - 3 hours of crap!!

I second that. The movie was so boring and the piano music was immensely irritating :rolleyes:

Other overhyped movies IMO are Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan. The first hour or so of Saving Private Ryan was quite okay, but after that it went downhill.

propi
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:02 PM
American Beauty :rolleyes: I don't find it that impressive and so bitter as everyone said...
Star Wars and LOTRbut I've never been a fan of that
Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan...:tape:
Contrary to most in here I really enjoyed Moulin Rouge and Eyes Wide Shut

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:06 PM
This is what LOTR fans commonly claim: ROTK will be twice better than FOTR and TTT combined!

Does anyone else think this is BS? :confused:

Colin B
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Completely agree with you about Moulin Rouge. Like Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet, I thought the music came first and the storyline second.Yeah - I wonder which amateur wrote that script!
I loved both films. The music in Romeo and Juliet, though, was awful, except for Radiohead and Stina Nordenstam
Oh, and I hate tub-thumping American war-films like Pearl Harbour and I agree there, especially films like 'U-571' where they turn a British success (which possibly changed the outcome of WWII) into an American mission!
A bit like making a film about the moon landings in which all the characters are Brits!

My choices:
Heat and Dust.
Mulholland Drive (and I usually like David Lynch's weird stuff).
Eyes Wide Shut (ditto Stanly Kubric).
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

Mercury Rising
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Pff I hate threads like these, all my favourite movies are mentioned here lol.

Am I the only one that liked Gladiator? :o

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Overrated film - Lawrence of Arabia... So boring!

I know some people are going to hate me for this. LOL!

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Pff I hate threads like these, all my favourite movies are mentioned here lol.

Am I the only one that liked Gladiator? :o
I liked it and thought it deserved Best Picture.

Brαm
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:43 PM
casablanca
I liked that one! So typically 1940s :p

JonBcn
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I liked Gladiator. Three hours of beefy men in togas. What more could you ask for?

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I liked Gladiator. Three hours of beefy men in togas. What more could you ask for?
I thought they were too beefy. And only one of them was real cute. But I know what ya mean. lol ;)

JonBcn
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Too beefy? No such thing, mate ;)

hythger
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Pearl Habour stupid movie - terrible acting :eek:
Lord of thr Rings too long- fell asleep watching :rolleyes:
Titanic pls... what a wast of money! :eek:
Before sunrise one of the best movies i ever seen! Excellent acting :yeah:

decemberlove
Sep 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Blair witch project BAH!
Pulp Fiction
Rosetta (worst movie I ever saw)
English Patient

:eek:

pulp fiction is excellent! its meant to be light-hearted... i think people take it too seriously sometimes.

i think memento was overrated. ive never actually seen the whole thing; it always puts me to sleep. the man annoys me... why not keep a journal or something? i dunno, i just found the whole movie so unbelievable.

Randy H
Sep 19th, 2003, 04:44 PM
any LOTR film - i'd rather be beaten to death with a wooden spoon than endure any of them again

GBFH
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM
:eek:

pulp fiction is excellent! its meant to be light-hearted... i think people take it too seriously sometimes.

i think memento was overrated. ive never actually seen the whole thing; it always puts me to sleep. the man annoys me... why not keep a journal or something? i dunno, i just found the whole movie so unbelievable.

word. pulp fiction was awesome!!
and l.a. confidential. great movies!

overhyped....hmm....can't think of any off the top of my head.

GBFH
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:26 PM
OH! just thought of one:

Matrix Reloaded :rolleyes:

Jo Durie
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:49 PM
The French movie Delicatessen. All style and no substance. One of the first kinda mainsteam French movies and its nonsense.

billybizar
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by decemberlove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can you judge a movie when you have never seen the whole thing, actually fall asleep at it? Otherwise maybe you would know that the main reason why he doesn't keep a journal is because he's afraid of loosing it (he wouldn't remember where he put it) and also it would take too much time to read it all through before his amnesia prevents him to remember the first parts he had written down. That's why he chooses for a visual reminder (the big paper with pics, short sentences and headlines). This film is way cleverer than you think (and in more than one aspect). I advise you to watch it again, awake.

decemberlove
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove

How can you judge a movie when you have never seen the whole thing, actually fall asleep at it? Otherwise maybe you would know that the main reason why he doesn't keep a journal is because he's afraid of loosing it (he wouldn't remember where he put it) and also it would take too much time to read it all through before his amnesia prevents him to remember the first parts he had written down. That's why he chooses for a visual reminder (the big paper with pics, short sentences and headlines). This film is way cleverer than you think (and in more than one aspect). I advise you to watch it again, awake.

ive got the dvd [blind buy]. ive tried watching it 11 times. im just not feeling it.

GoDominique
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
The Matrix is boring and doesn't make sense.
The 6th Sense is boring and doesn't make sense.