PDA

View Full Version : Hingis' Doctor Flew From Switzerland To Treat Her

AjdeNate!
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Hingis benefits from doctor's call
By Steve Keating

INDIAN WELLS, California (Reuters) - It's lucky for Martina Hingis that her Swiss doctor Heinz Buhlmann makes house calls.

Otherwise the former-world number one might have spent the weekend watching boyfriend Sergio Garcia play golf rather than cruising through to the third round of the Indian Wells Masters with a 6-0 6-1 dissection of Croatian qualifier Silvija Talaja.

Having already been forced to withdraw from the doubles due to tendinitis in her right wrist, the injury had threatened to knock Hingis out of the $2.1 million tournament until Buhlmann flew in from Switzerland to treat his star patient.

"I feel great considering last week I wasn't quite sure if I was going to be able to play here," said Hingis, the tournaments top seed after number one Kim Clijsters crashed out losing her opening match on Friday. "Last week I wasn't able to practice the way I wanted to because I just tried to escape the pain. I flew my doctor in from Switzerland and that was a big help. I'm very thankful, otherwise I don't think I would have been able to play here. He's been doing a great job with me. In an emergency I can call him anytime."

While the Palm Springs area is famous for its hundreds of spas, private clinics and hospitals, Hingis, the winner of two tournaments this season and a finalist at the Australian Open, was taking no chances putting an emergency call in to the doctor who operated on her damaged ankle last October.

Buhlmann immediately flew in from Zurich five days ago, performed one session of acupuncture and was back on plane back to Switzerland before Hingis had played her first match.

"He's the top of the top of these things," said Hingis, ranked number four in the world. He also did my ankle. He's a surgeon normally but he also does this, more or less to soccer players and hockey players in Switzerland. All the top teams go to him. I've had problems with my wrist in the past but not critical like it was this time. He's been doing a great job with me."

bryan26
Mar 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
what if the wrist starts to act up again during the tournament? The treatment can't help forever. If she keeps playing will the injury increase or is she safe to keep playing.

louisa2k2
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
she said she was fine now, that the treatment had taken the pain away and it was up to her now. She did make a strange comment saying when u have tendinitis you normally just have to take two weeks off and let it go but aparenlty this acupunture as got rid of it. She said shes had it done before.