PDA

View Full Version : American

Seles_Beckham
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Q. Do you recall how you heard about the September 11th stuff, what you were doing?

They asked that question to every player that they intervied....

THIS IS TENNIS AND THEY JUST WANT TO THAT THE PLAYERS SAYS HOW THEY ARE SORRY FOR THE USA...

T E N N I S N O T P O L I I T C....

Ted of Teds Tennis
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:51 AM
FWIW, I was listening to Deutsche Welle on my short-wave radio when I heard about it. At the time, they had just reported on the first plane crashing into the North Tower -- it was a breaking bulletin that came about 9:05 am *after* their regular top of the hour news.. When I heard this I immediately turned on the TV and muted the volume so I could continue to listen to the news from DW and the BBC.

I'm an American with lots of relatives in the old country (hence the flag!), and I found interesting how, at the Olympics, a bunch of reporters were whining about the American jingoism, but a lot of the athletes walked in waving both miniature flags from their own countries, and miniature US flags. (France -- a country whose government is noted for engaging in anti-American xenophobia -- was notable in this regard.)

--Ted

ASV
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Maybe when 2992 people die in Jugoslavia and the biggest tournament thus far in the year to take place is happening in it, THEN you can talk.

I think you are being extremely disrespectful to these families who were hurt by the 9/11 murders.

It isn't politics at all. Asking them where they were and how they felt has nothing to do with politics.

People will be asking about this for a very very long time and you should start getting used to hearing about it.

Maybe because it is our Pearl Harbor/Kennedy Assasination. You may be surprised......

people care.

Seles_Beckham
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:01 AM
I JUST SAY THAT THEY ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO ASK IT EVERY TIME...

They asked Monika and she sad that she was playing a tournement and they sad DO THEY HAVE TELEVISION THERE?
like every country is a poor and a bult chit and the Usa are the kings...

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Personally, I think you were being very insensitive with your first comments ns_seles. I don't think anybody is using the attacks of sept. 11 as a way for everybody to say how bad they feel for the u.s.a or how much the like the u.s.a... and they don't have to ask it all the time but this is the first big tournament in the US since the attacks so in turn the first time most of the players have been here and talked to the media so i think they are fully within reason to ask them that question...

ASV
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:07 AM
I believe that Monica was playing either Hawaii or probaly Brazil....

And once Jugoslavia has the highest GNP in the world and is one of the world's major super powers, then we'll see what happens when someone knocks down two skyskrapers with airplanes.

Master Lu
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:26 AM
FYI, there's been a much greater number of deaths on the Former Jugoslvia's teritory. It just happened over a course of a few years not a day.

I can tell you I know exactly what I was doing, and how I was not believing my eyes as I was watching the TV. It was a great tragedy.

What irks me is that terrorism has always existed, and, unfortunately, will live on, at least in our time. And even though there has been grusome events all over the world, it took an attack on the States to make the world do something. And then a lot of people gained a lot of political points on it, which bothers me even more.

Also in a perfect world we would not even care about GNP. We're not living in that world I know, but still, do you really feel a life of an american is more valuable then a life of a croatian, for example, just because USA has so and so GNP. If you do, I feel sorry for you and the the world we live in.

joao
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:36 AM
September 11th attacks are not just an american problem! Terrorism is international and unfortunately can affect everyone! America is not the only target!!!!! It is legitimate to ask everyone (american or not) how they feel about this tragedy!!!!!! And BTW that doesn't sound politics to me......:confused:

monicain
Mar 10th, 2002, 04:42 PM
once Jugoslavia has the highest GNP in the world and is one of the world's major super powers, then we'll see what happens when someone knocks down two skyskrapers with airplanes.

OMG-- you value A LIFE by GNP of his country--such an american idea huu--damn stupid.

And why didn't america or CNN or else talks about wars america's behind and killed millions of people.Once Suddum is good for US,he is good.When he didn't obeit US,he's a harm.

Seles_Beckham
Mar 10th, 2002, 05:49 PM
THANK YOU monicain
I think also that when someone is good for Usa it's ok and when someone says something against them they are ennemis.

Usa think that they are the world ...but i don't think so...

huh?
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:16 PM
um....as it seems that you and your freinds are determined to start a on-line war with Americans...maybe you should change your topic on your posts to "Why America is BAD!", or "My own personal thoughts on politics!" and then you wouldn't offend people because they would know not to read them...

It's so much easier to hate us and tell us that we're nothing but rich, arrogant, losers, but the truth is is that each year America sends off more economic, food, and military aid to impoverished countries around the world than most countries gross in a year...but it's so much easier to hate us and be bitter because we happen to get a lot of attention (I don't know why...maybe because we're a SUPERPOWER and our situation directly effects the rest of the world?...hmmmm)...maybe y'all should pull your heads out of your butts and start working on building your OWN countries up so you won't feel the need to go trying to tear ours down and we wouldn't have to sacrifice our young men's lives to keep your people safe...

anyways...those are my thoughts....shoot...this is the last time I'm reading one of your posts, (certainly this one) because frankly, they're very thinly veiled petty insults that really annoy me...

on a happier note...even though I know y'all don't care...lookit my avatar!...:D Chicks Kick ASS! (I hope it works!:D)

Nimi
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:24 PM
i live in Israel... every day... we have AT LEAST two terror attacks... ns_seles.... i would suggest u will edit this topic to "why the Taliban & the Islamic Jihad sucks"!!!!!!:mad: :fiery: :mad:

Master Lu
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:34 PM
I never said I agree with ns_seles. I posted because I got quite disgusted with Arantxa's #1 Fan's posts.

Bezz
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:39 PM
I am going to be a bit controversial and say i agree with ns_seles, these are tennis players and not politicians, i am sure they have been asked similair questions at tournements outside of the U.S after the attacks. I agree that the reason for the question they were asked was to try and drum up some support or sympathy for america. It was terrible what happened on the 11th but there is no need to bring it up at simple things like a tennis tournement. As you can see with the flag i am British and were heared nothing but the attacks for months afterwards, and i agree we should deal with terrorism but i fail to see how asking tennis players what they thought is going to achieve this.

angele87
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:54 PM
I think you guys are reading way too much into the fact that some players were asked about the attacks... and they were just asked about how the attacks affected their lives. I don't really see that as looking for sympathy for the u.s. And there are a few reasons why the sept 11th attacks got a lot more attention that say, like somebody said, an attack in Israel... one is that although I'm not exactly sure about the whole thing in Israel but I know that they are on-going attacks going on between two countries or two groups or whatever where as the attacks of sept. 11 were just out of the blue. Also, the US chose to do something about it. If other countries don't, or can't, fight back when they are affected by terrorism that doesn't mean that the u.s can't... and above all, come on, the U.S.A is one of the most, if not the most, powerful country in the world!!!

Kart
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:25 PM
ns_seles :),

I think you have to accept that whether this is a political issue or not it was also the biggest disater event in America last year and it will take them ages to come to terms with it if they ever do at all.

So it's no real surprise that they are going to ask the atheletes about it.

I think we'll all just have to accept that it is going to be talked about for a very long time.

huh?,

It may be easier to hate America than to like them, but your post certainly doesn't make it any easier either.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Not only do I agree with what Kart says about it being the biggest event in America; it's also changed many things about travelling, which is something these tennis players do *a lot*.

Remember that the folks at the Zurich tournament offered the players free use of a paper shredder to deal with any letters in case the players feared the letters might be contaminated with the anthrax virus. (Now, using a paper shredder is a stupid way to deal with the anthrax virus, but that's another story:p )

--Ted

RockSteady
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:12 PM
I hate when us Americans are called fat, stupid, lazy, anti-Christ, greedy, worthless scums by select groups of people. I think it is simply because America controls the ENTIRE world's economy, military actions, and politics, quite frankly. But anyway...Americans are the last people that should be generalized becauset here are so many interesting and varied types of people that live here that it's hard to stick a label on all of us.

Rocketta
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Maybe they are asking all the tennis players about 9/11 because many foreign nationals died that day as well. Hundreds of non-americans perished that day and I think for anyone to think that only americans should care or be asked about it is JACKED-UP in the head.:fiery: :fiery: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Rocketta
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:36 PM
here's another maybe........maybe they were asking all the players about it becuase the 6th month anniversary has happend in the middle of the tournament??:confused:

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:44 PM
THATS EXCATLY THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!
No one knows what happends here in Israel, were getting our asses bombed every day & have to live in fear.... & no, no American knows what its like, so SHUT UP!!!!!! & i have ALL the reasons to say that!!!!:fiery: :fiery: :mad: :mad:

ASV
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Insanity is right..

Rocketta
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by InSaNiTy
THATS EXCATLY THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!
No one knows what happends here in Israel, were getting our asses bombed every day & have to live in fear.... & no, no American knows what its like, so SHUT UP!!!!!! & i have ALL the reasons to say that!!!!:fiery: :fiery: :mad: :mad:

That's a good thing!!! We're very sorry for what happens in over there but that in no way diminishes what happened on sept. 11th. For the record every bombing and every reaction to bombings are reported in great detail here in the US. So what is your point?? If we don't fight with the same group of people since the beginning of time we don't deserve to ask players what they were doing on Sept 11th when they heard about the towers going down??

Tatiana Panova
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:04 PM
I was lying on my couch on a fairly hot September afternoon in England, and I had just finished my lunch. I was having two weeks off after my summer job, and i had just come back from a weeks field trip in the Lakes, so I was getting ready to go back to uni. I was flicking from channel to channel when I stumbled across a blazen skyscraper - which I then realized was the world trade centre. For the next few hours I watched in awe I have to say - I was so shocked - but amazed as to how this could happen. I also recall feeling very, very sorry for the people in the buildings, and it was one of those "I am only human - mortality" moments. I also had the sense that I was watching a major historical tragedy. I phoned my friends and family several times, and when my dad came in from work he had no idea, and did not really believe me. My god - when the towers fell I like most other people swore my head off.

-Sonic-
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:14 PM
I do think it is a bit strange if they are asking everyone - what are they going to do, write a list for the website of everyone's locations?

i just wrote a huge paragraph but i deleted it cos it seemed to go nowhere. I do agree with Master Lu and monicain though.

and btw - about all this gnp stuff - many many countries signed a thing at an internatioal conference for giving aid to other countries (i forget which one, which will lower the vailidty of the point i'm sure) and it said they'd all give 0.7% of their gnp or gdp or something to aid. america currently give the lowest at less than 0.1%. It may be a higher number in dollars or whatever than smaller countries, but its all about proportion. giving someone 10 pounds is less of a gift when u have a million than someone who gives u 10 who has only 50 pounds.

Nimi
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:29 PM
what im saying is that they have every right to ask everyone untill the year 2099 "what do u think about 9/11", cuz its THE most importent thing, life, & when 5000 of them are taken in one day, its MUCH more importent then tennis, im 13, u most are older, u should realize this much better then me

bmomomax
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
I live here in the good ol' US of A. I was stunned and saddened by September 11th. I feel sympathy for the victims and families of those that lost loved ones (except for those that are demanding millions and MILLIONS of dollars as recompense from the government in addition to the money collected from the Red Cross, United Way, etc., etc. without a deduction of whatever insurance they may have).

But I have to agree with ns_seles. What stunning insight can tennis players provide about 9/11?

Why are Americans so myopic about the whole thing anyway? During the six months between then and now, how many atrocities have been committed around the world? What, if 3,000 aren't taken out in a day but over the course of months, it doesn't matter?

And our action in Afghanistan, are you telling me that bombing villages and killing families and people totally UNinvolved is an appropriate action to "catch" a former CIA friend, Osama Bin Laden? How many Afghans have died because of this war on terror?

Ugh, I feel like Dennis Miller going on a rant. Look, people die everyday everywhere. Just because they don't share your nationality doesn't make their pain or suffering any less - and one of the reasons why folks really are sick of us Americans is that we never are able to look at the global picture, we as a group are usually too wrapped up in our own problems.

But at some point ALL OF US have got to attach the same value and compassion to EVERYONE on this planet so that when things occur there can be a global response. Israel going down in flames (ugh, don't get me started there) then the WORLD helps them all come to terms - not dictate, help all parties to reach a mutually agreeable compromise. Everybody has to realize that you over there in Italy and you in Nairobi, your existance is an integral part of mine and we have to look out for each other and work together.

LucasArg
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by joao
September 11th attacks are not just an american problem! Terrorism is international and unfortunately can affect everyone! America is not the only target!!!!! It is legitimate to ask everyone (american or not) how they feel about this tragedy!!!!!! And BTW that doesn't sound politics to me......:confused:

Do you know????

America is a continent, and I don't agree with USA war against terrorism.

There is a lot of American countries who desagree with this stuff.
I think George Bush is as dangerous as any terrorist in this world.

harloo
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:48 PM
The thing that everyone forgot to point out is that their wasn't only American's in the WTC. Different people from different countries were violently killed who worked over here in the center. Futhermore, 9/11 was the worst terroist attack in history, so it will be discussed forever.

Yes terroism has existed before this, but not on this level. It's unfortunate that the U.S. didn't pay enough attention to the threat. But, how can one single government go around the world fighting terrorism everywhere? It's impossible as we are finding out now. We as American's don't know where the next terrorism act will take place. We are trying to do the almost impossibe which is fight global terrorism.

As far as the anti-American sentiment peppered throughout this board, it's unbecoming and maybe you should find some partners and start your own hate group. Since you seem to have such a problem with Americans, and we seem to come up in some of your posts then you would be better suited in offline activities.

In conclusion, tennis players are asked all kinds of questions. What difference does it makes if they are asked about the worst day in history? None, and many are willing to answer. So, why is it a big issue? I know why, because some will always hate American culture simply because of the wealth of this country. Yes, this country is wealthy but not everyone is sharing the wealth. But I do know one thing, many people from different countries come over here and take advantage of the opportunities of this country. And that's the scary part, America is giving and so free that we allowed these terriost to come into our schools, workplaces and now we must deal with it. These people are sitting in our faces acting like everyday citizens. So, all these people who are so anti-american you can go to hell. I'm tired of it!!

Rocketta
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:22 PM
I think the argument was over whether all the tennis players should be asked about sept. 11th? Not about American Politics. I think people can talk about what they thought or where doing without having to comment on America's middle east policy!

Also, No one seems to want to address the fact that many people of other countries died in that attack so in essence it did effect many parts of the world.

bmomomax---people die every day everywhere including the US. That is not the point. So you are telling me that if your entire family dies in one day that will effect you the same way as if they died over a longer period, ie years?? Its not that 3,000 people died but that 3,000 people died at the same time. That is always going to be shocking!!

One thing that has completely shocked me is the envy that some people feel over the amount of money the victims are going to get. I don't understand it. I gladly give up that money since I had no family members perish on that day.

Rocketta
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Insanity---I didn't understand your first post?? Now I see your point and I agree with you.

Dado
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:05 PM
I think it was very terrible what happend in New York and Washington.

BUT, in the last six months you heard every day, every hour about it. It was shit but how more we talk about that, it's going to be more dificult. Who speak about Yugoslavia, Croatia, Bosnia now? NOBODY! Who speak about the Earthquake in Turkey before two years? NOONE!!! So overthere was killed more people and everybody forgot it.

And just because died few soldats in Afghanistan the whole world cries, it is not okay, sorry!

I'm agree with nsseles and Mister Lu.:sad:

Seles_Beckham
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Hvala ti bre Dado, oni nemogu da svate da kad je Amerika upitanju svi su zalosni a kad nas ovde amerikanci bombarduju niko ni rec, bomba sjucajno padne na skolu a greska, niko o tome ne prica u Turskoj koliko je ljudi poginulo niko nista ali USA to mora da se prica jer su oni kao najvazniji, moje dupe bre samo kad su oni u pitanju i kad im nesto treba onda su dobri

Kad im je onaj predsednik Iraka bio dobar onda su ga hvalili a sad posto vise nebrani Ameriku sad hoce da ga ubiju....

Niko nije dobar na ovom svetu ali amerikanci su najmanje,
oni sve zapocnu pa onda odu, rat u bivsoj Jugoslaviji, bombardovanje u Srbiji....

croat123
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:08 PM
I'm not argueing about the whole 9/11 tragedy, but I would just like to say that many more people died in Former Jugoslavia than in the World Trade Towers and the media didn't go around asking people to feel sorry for the *cough* 250,000 people (in Bosnia alone) that died.

I do not want people to misinterpret this, I just want to show how the media cares less about certain parts of the world.

croat123
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ns_seles
Hvala ti bre Dado, oni nemogu da svate da kad je Amerika upitanju svi su zalosni a kad nas ovde amerikanci bombarduju niko ni rec, bomba sjucajno padne na skolu a greska, niko o tome ne prica u Turskoj koliko je ljudi poginulo niko nista ali USA to mora da se prica jer su oni kao najvazniji, moje dupe bre samo kad su oni u pitanju i kad im nesto treba onda su dobri

Kad im je onaj predsednik Iraka bio dobar onda su ga hvalili a sad posto vise nebrani Ameriku sad hoce da ga ubiju....

Niko nije dobar na ovom svetu ali amerikanci su najmanje,
oni sve zapocnu pa onda odu, rat u bivsoj Jugoslaviji, bombardovanje u Srbiji....

ja se slazem

Dado
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Hvala ti croat!

Ja samo mislim da je subdina sveta u jako losim rukama. George W. Bush je kreten kojeg nema. On samo misli na sebe i na Ameriku.
On je kao Milosevic. O stanju je da ucini sve, samo da njegovo srce bude na mestu.

Scotso
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:57 AM
What would you expect from Serbs?

You people were probably cheering when it happened. Personally I don't give a damn whether or not you care about the United States. You're far away from us and frankly you're not all that important, so it really doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Scotso
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:00 AM
And we do care about other people. We sent tons and tons of aid and personnel to Turkey after that earthquake. It was major news here and people genuinely felt bad for them. You make us out to be like devils. The United States is usually the first to aid foreign nations when tragedies strike them. Yet, when something terrible happens to the United States you all say "get over it?" That's just not exceptable. Show a little fucking compassion.

Mon's boy
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
hrvat123 - great post
i totally agree with u

and there is also a lot of truth in scotso's 1st post

vlado
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Scotso
What would you expect from Serbs?

You people were probably cheering when it happened. Personally I don't give a damn whether or not you care about the United States. You're far away from us and frankly you're not all that important, so it really doesn't bother me one way or the other.
This post just proves how grossly stereotyping and narrowminded some americans can be toward whole other peoples and still be almost genuinely surprised when the same sort of stereotypes are applied on themselves.

vw43
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Tennis players are asked about many things. They are public figures. I don't think the media was asking tennis players about 9/11 to gain some sort of stunning insight or to gain sympathy points for the United States. Some people still want to talk about the event and talk about what they are feeling. Some people still want to give their condolences to the families and friends of those that died. It's simple, really.

It's unfortunate that some people view Americans as greedy or arrogant but here in America you are allowed to have your own opinion, your freedom of speech, the right to elect your own officials, the right to choose your own religion etc...

We have no delusions that our country is to be pitied since 9/11. We know that other countries have suffered and are suffering far more than we are and we welcome the people from those countries into ours for some hope and opportunity.

I see nothing wrong in asking tennis players where they were when 9/11 happened or what their feelings were. It's a world issue, like it or not. I do have a problem with the media grilling players about their personal lives...to me that is more offensive.

Dado
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:08 PM
I saw that you are very stupid scotso!

GogoGirl
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:42 PM
The world at large is getting smaller and smaller - so everyone should be concerned w/worldly events.

What I wonder is - why is it being reported that only 3,000 people died? At first they stated that it was going to be an astronomical figure. I wonder.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/