PDA

View Full Version : Aussies Rampaging Assault!!

AUSBOY
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Australia has always done us proud at the Olympics having won medals at every games in the modern era.

1988 & 1992 it was Bronze medals in the womens doubles (Smylie/Turnbull & McQuillan/Provis)

1996 & 2000 it was the Woodies with Gold and Silver respectively in the men doubles

So hopefully we can keep the trend going, we definitely have some good chances. Would be nice though if we could surprise and get a medal in singles, Jelena Dokic is still the best singles result we have had finishing 4th at 2000

Womens Singles

Alicia Molik - Will be very confident after her title double last week in Stockholm. Ranked a career high 24 and rising all the time Alicia is definitely a threat to any player if her serve is on. Definitely an outside medal chance.

Nicole Pratt - Did us proud last Olympics with a top 20 win over Dragomir. Will wear her heart on her sleeve. Loves the hardcourts and will give it her everything, hopefully can win a round or two. You cant help but be proud of every performance by Nicole, whether its a winnning one or a losing one she gives 150%

Samantha Stosur - Olympic Debut, Will be great if she can win a round. She's still lacks consistency and a lot of experience, but this alone will be good for her.

Men Singles

Mark Phillipoussis - Erratic form, but his performance at Wimbledon definitely helped give him regain a little of his confidence back. Can't discount him, like with any of the big servers, their games can suddenly return and he could just blitz, but then again he could also just fizzle.

Wayne Arthurs - Its all about the serve! We all know Wayne on his day can beat anyone. Davis Cup has always brought the best out on him so it will be interesting to see how he goes at the Olympics representing his country. His best results this year have come when he's been a Lucky Loser, so lets see how he goes as an Alternate!!

Womens Doubles

Stubbs/Molik - Great chance for a medal. Stubbs has won a few titles this year including Wimbledon and another the other week. Molik of course just won Stockholm doubles so its expected this pairing will do well!

Pratt/Stosur - Pratt's won a couple of titles this year and is no doubles slouch, she's currently in the worlds top 20! Stosur a solid player too. Wouldnt be surprised if these two make a good go at it

Mens Doubles

Arthurs/Woodbridge - Best chance for a medal. Expecting big things from these two! Both are brilliant and Davis Cup winning players

petey_pan
Aug 12th, 2004, 02:11 AM
OMG! Is Sam playing singles? Since when???

Mr_Molik
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:46 AM
cmon aussie!!!!
some tough draws but all winnable!

broncosven
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Go Ausse Go !!!!

AUSBOY
Aug 14th, 2004, 05:41 AM
I think all 5 singles could all go either way, Olympics is different to Grand Slams, as you are representing your country not yourself so some players thrive more and others fall by the wayside. Hopefully our gals and guys dont do the latter

AUSBOY
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Good start so far with Nicole, Wayne and Alicia all getting through!

Alicia's shouldnt have any problems against Srebotnik tonite, should be a str8 forward win. Pratt though has a very difficult match, as Garbin's been playing great on the fast courts. Wayne too has a tough one, although I think this surface isnt too bad for him either.

Im hoping Alicia and one of the other two can scrape through!

Elvira
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I think Aussie boys are so cute and sexy :hearts: :hearts:
They are so good in most of the sports too.. I only wish Canada could win as many medals :p

Go Aussie!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AUSBOY
Aug 17th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Yes, Pratt has a fighting comeback win!!!

Pratt def Garbin 1-6 7-6(5) 6-2

Way to go Nicole!!!!!!!!!

martinafan
Aug 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
That's just great fighting spirit from Nicole!

Hopefully Alicia can get a win today aswell, and she can pair with Rennae for a win aswell!

martinafan
Aug 18th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Molik d. Srebotnik 7-5 6-4!

A little tougher than i would've liked, but glad that she won still!

She faces Raymond next who beat Farina easy, 6-2 6-1 i think.

Molik/Stubbs also won their first match against Ani/Kanepi 6-1 6-4 i think.

Pratt now plays Henin-Hardenne!

Good Luck to all Aussies on Wednesday!

broncosven
Aug 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
CMON AUSSIE !!!

Alicia its up too you mate . . . Henin is a pretty dam hard task for pratty !!

Lemonskin.
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Aussie Aussie Aussie... OI OI OI!!!

Molik is going well. Keep it up Ali!

martinafan
Aug 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Molik d. Raymond 6-4 6-4

Alicia served 17 aces and won 32/33 pts on her first serve!

That is some VERY impressive serving!

Hopefully she can keep this form up against most-likely Sugiyama in the QF's (Sugi leads 7-6 4-0 over Sprem as i write...)

broncosven
Aug 18th, 2004, 10:47 PM
YAH ALICIA !!!!

Gotta do it in Doubles and Singles now !!!

Mr_Molik
Aug 19th, 2004, 03:47 AM
alicia :cool:

Lemonskin.
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM
A medal in both singles AND doubles? looking quite possible...

Mr_Molik
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM
indeed :bounce:

stubbsy71
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Crap doubles performance, but congrats on reaching the semis x

broncosven
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Alicia Molik (AUS) d. (8) Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 63 64

(8) Li/Sun (CHN) d. (4) Molik/Stubbs (AUS) 63 62

So singles !!

CMON ALICIA !!!!!

kes
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM
GO ALICIA!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lemonskin.
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:50 PM
How bloody sweet would it be for Alicia to be in the Gold Medal match! No matter what the result, it would be an amazing acheivement.

Mr_Molik
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:23 PM
cmon alicia!

Lemonskin.
Aug 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM
YAY ALICIA!!!

Bronze is awesome ^_^

bumblebee7313
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Alicia Molik - you are a legend!!!!!