PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Olympics is expected from Russia in Athens?

the cat
Aug 7th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Very successful? Okay? Dissapointing? I've lost track as to what's expected for Russia in the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics. Russia is usually near the top of the medal standings in both the Winter Olympics and Summer Olympics. Does Russia still have excellent gymnasts and very good women's and men's gymnastics teams? I was reading today how the American women's gymnastic team is now the best team in the world and that caught me by surprise.

And what's expected of Russia in Olympic track and field? Is Irina Privolova still competting? I have a feeling this will only be an okay Olympics for Russia. :( Your feedback would be appreciated.

DEETHELICK
Aug 7th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I don't really have a clue regarding any other sport than tennis in the Olympics. But I heard that the Olypic hard courts are a bit slow.

In terms of tennis, I think Russia can gain two medals, maybe three (including doubles).

I would not be surprised to see two Russians fighting it out for the gold and silver medal. It would be perfect :)

Epigone
Aug 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM
There is a Russian pole vaulter named Yelena Isinbayeva who is kicking major ass at the moment. She set two world records within the space of a week (4.89m, then 4.90m) in late July/early August. I think she has a good shot at gold.

Here (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_1-8-2004_pg2_22) is a pic of her with the new record height. Please don't make comments about her appearance to Lina.

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 06:11 AM
YELENA ISANBAYEVA - POLE VAULT

SOME people thrive on competition, some people crumble. Yelena Isinbayeva definitely falls into the former category. In one of the most fiercely contested field events in world athletics this year, the Russian has been setting new heights. And then some more.

The 22-year-old recently broke the women’s world pole vault record three times in five weeks, clearing 4.90m to better her previous best of 4.89m and reinforce her presence at the top of the rankings. It is a height she claims to regularly clear in training and there is no reason to believe otherwise.

It was the former gymnast’s seventh world record in total, it also gave her the upper hand in her ongoing battle with countrywoman Svetlana Feofanova, who has set ten world records over the past two years. In pushing each other to the limits, they have edged away from reigning Olympic champion, the once indomitable Stacy Dragila, of the United States.

As well as picking up $70,000 for her latest improvement, Isinbayeva has underlined her status by progressing through competitions without missing a vault and the current World Indoor Champion has now been installed as favourite for Athens.

Even Sergey Bubka, the Ukrainian who retired after 35 world records, has given the Volgograd athlete a glowing testimonial and been offering advice. "He has spoken to me and he says I can jump much higher, that technically I am the best vaulter in the world."

A willing student and a talented athlete, it seems the only way is up, and up, and up.

Daniel
Aug 8th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Hope Anastasia wins a medal :hug:

Marat Safin fan
Aug 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Sveta Khorkina will win a medal for sure.

the cat
Aug 8th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Is Svetlana Khorkina still performing? And what about Alina Kabaeva the rythmic gymastics star?

Thanks for the article, GL.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 8th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Svetlana will be there again ;) :D

Yelena Isinbayeva will take gold i hope, it should be a 1-2 for sure, even a clean sweep

Lebedeva is going for the double...... long jump as well as Triple Jump, she's got best mark this yr in both.
High Jump could be good too but no Marina Kuptsova :sad: still we got world leader in Yelena Slesarenko ;) :D

Irina Privalova aborted her comeback last week in Russian Champs for the games.
She qualified for finals of 100m but pulled out.

should be a good game

Swimming, Gymnastics and Athletics are undoubtedly the top 3 attractions
and my favs too

the cat
Aug 8th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Eggy, you didn't mention any male Russian athletes. :confused: Are female Russian athletes carrying the Olympic load in Athens?

bubble
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Alexander Popov :drool: , is he still competing at Athens, this is supposed to be his swansong competition right?

Alexi Nemov, I would not expect him to win gold this time...

My favourite events to watch will be gymnastics, Athletics and tennis.

In women's tennis, we can maybe expect at least 2 medals out of three to be won by Russian..:angel:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Eggy, you didn't mention any male Russian athletes. :confused: Are female Russian athletes carrying the Olympic load in Athens?
our female athletes are alot stronger in depth than the males in track & field
Yuriy Borzakowskiy is the man in track
maybe Rybakov can win a medal in high jump

Makarov should be amongst favs in javelin but he has up/down events.
pole vault..... ??? its open cos there isnt anyone remotely in the class of a few yrs ago of Bubka and to a lesser degree Maksim Tarassov.
we'll get some more in the throws as well.

Gymnastics..... i dont watch much apart from the Olympics cos its hardly on.

Swimming...... could snatch a few medals, again i dont watch as much.

the cat
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:26 PM
And who would the 2 out of 3 Athens medalists in women's tennis be, bubble? Anastasia Myskina and...

bubble
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:33 PM
And who would the 2 out of 3 Athens medalists in women's tennis be, bubble? Anastasia Myskina and...
Cat, I would prefer in this order..

Gold - Elena Dementieva
Silver - Anastasia Myskina... :angel:

the cat
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:45 PM
That would be nice bubble. :) But 4 years ago when Elena won a silver medal in Sydney she didn't have a major serving problem like she does now. And I don't know how Elena can overcome her serving woes to win a medal let alone a gold. But the field will be fairly weak and I expect withdrawls to weaken the draw some more. So there is hope for Elena.

DEETHELICK
Aug 8th, 2004, 10:11 PM
the cat, that serve still got her to the RG final and 3 titles last year. Its not the best, but it can be effective. And it mainly depends on Elena's mental strength. This is what she has geared her whole year around. And with a strong support team for the Olympic squad, I'm sure Elena can do exceptionally well. :)

the cat
Aug 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Good point DEETH. But I'm not sure what to expect from Elena. She could medal or lose early. I think if she wins her first couple of matches easily it will build her confidence. :)

And I hope Myskina's shoulder injury is okay and won't hinder her performance in Athens.

the cat
Aug 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the Olympic info on the Russian men, Eggy. I missed that from yesterday.

goldenlox
Aug 11th, 2004, 05:34 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gifhttp://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/11/sports/11redsquare.jpg
Members of Russia's synchronized swimming team receiving farewell wishes at a send-off ceremony in Red Square in Moscow on Friday.
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gifhttp://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/11/sports/11wrestler.jpg
Sergei Kivrin for The New York Times
Aleksandr Karelin, right, meeting with another champion wrestler, Vartares Samurgashev, at the training facility in Podolsk, Russia.

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/dropcap/p.gifODOLSK, Russia, Aug. 9 - As she prepared to swing the wire and ball of the hammer throw, Yelena Konevstova gestured to the tattered backstop where she stood and warned: "You better not stand here. There are holes in the net."

She swung the hammer around her head before whirling and hurling it toward her trainer on the far side of a weedy lot, where broken sticks marked her previous efforts. This field, like most of the buildings here at the Podolsk Sportbaza, one of Russia's principal Olympic training centers, just south of Moscow, shows the disrepair typical of post-Soviet Russia and its once-vaunted state sports machine.

Yet when the 2004 Games begin in Athens and the medals are counted, Russia is almost certain to be one of the top teams in the standing. It has remained there despite the dissolution of the Soviet Union and more than a decade of economic and social upheaval.

Senior officials - not only in the sports world but also in the government - confidently predict that Russia will match the 32 gold and 88 medals over all that its athletes won in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, second to only the United States' 40 gold and 97 over all. There are even brash predictions that Russia will surpass the United States, and every other team.

"We are very ambitious, like the Americans, the Chinese, the Germans," said Vyacheslav Fetisov, who took over the state sports committee, now known as the Agency for Physical Culture, Sport and Tourism, in 2002. Before that, he spent 14 seasons as a player and coach in the National Hockey League, mostly with the Devils.

It may be too soon to declare the return of a Soviet-like machine, which was created and lavishly supported during the cold war to demonstrate the supremacy of the Soviet system. But renewed attention and money from the country's most prominent sports patron, President Vladimir V. Putin, has rekindled Russia's Olympic aspirations. Federal and city officials are even expressing hope that a strong performance will bolster Moscow's campaign to be the host city for the 2012 Summer Games.

The Olympic team has once again become a vehicle for the country's national pride, still deeply conflicted after nearly 13 years of post-Soviet transition.

The government sent off the team with official farewell ceremonies last week in Red Square and in Victory Park in Moscow, with the Russian Orthodox Church even dispatching an icon of St. George with them to Athens.

To sweeten the incentive, the government has also promised tax-free bonuses, of $50,000 for gold medalists, $20,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. They are not as lucrative as the array of benefits lavished on Soviet champions, but they are staggering sums in a country where the average annual income remains less than $3,000.

The 467 Russian athletes headed to Athens are widely considered the strongest national team since 1992, when Russia participated in Barcelona, Spain, as part of a unified team of former Soviet republics. That team that topped the medal standing with 45 gold and 111 medals over all.

With athletes from Ukraine, Belarus and other former republics having left for their own national teams, and with still more departing for the United States and Europe, Russia dropped to third over all in Atlanta in 1996 before bouncing back in Sydney, Australia. In Athens, the Russians are expected to contend not only in the country's traditional strengths, like gymnastics, but also in sports in which they have recently fared poorly, like track and field and swimming.

"We are going to tear them apart," Svetlana Krivelyova, the gold medalist in women's shot-put in Barcelona, said after finishing a late-afternoon workout here.

Krivelyova, who finished 10th in Atlanta and 4th in Sydney, has been in competition long enough to have benefited from the Soviet Union's elaborate state network of sports schools and training centers, which she credits for her longevity in the sport.

the cat
Aug 11th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Excellent article. :) Thanks GL. It seems that Russia has high hopes for the Athens Olympic games. :D

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 03:42 AM
http://www.mosnews.com/files/3576/picture.jpg

Anna Pavlova of Russia performs on the balance beam during a training session for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games / Photo: Reuters

Russian Gymnasts Outsiders in Greece for First Time
MosNews

For the first time in Olympic history, Russia — a traditional powerhouse of gymnastics — arrives at the Games as the rank outsiders, Reuters reports.

Four years after a 15 medal haul — including five golds —- in Sydney, the team is in disarray, the news agency reports.

With three Olympic champions — Alexei Nemov, Svetlana Khorkina and Elena Zamolodchikova — Russia, however, is not among the top three favorites in both the men’s and women’s team events.

Instead, the battle for the top honors in the Olympic Indoor Hall on Saturday is expected to be between the Americans, the Chinese and the Romanians.

Svetlana Khorkina could restore bruised Russian egos in the individual events, Reuters reported. Returning for her third and final dose of Olympic glory, the blonde pin-up will be determined to make a dazzling exit from the sport.

Sammm
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I heard Michael Johnson say that Russia have said they can beat the USA overall on the Olympic table :eek:

the cat
Aug 14th, 2004, 01:12 PM
It's dissapointing to learn that the Russian gymnastic's dynasty is apparently over. :( But the Russians unfortunately don't have the money to spend on developing their gymanastics program the way the Americans and Chinese do.

the cat
Aug 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Women's gymnastics starts today and I hope the Russian girls prove the pundits wrong in predicting a poor Olympics for the Russian women.

the cat
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Tuesday is a big day in Athens for the Russian women's gymnastics team. I hope they perform well and medal and pick up the slack of the Russian men who failed to medal in the team competition.

And I hope the Russians have another good day in tennis. Other than Elena Dementieva's tough loss to Alicia Molik Russia had a good day at the tennis venue.

Daniel
Aug 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Good luck to Khorkina :kiss:

the cat
Aug 18th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Russia won a bronze medal in women's gymnastics team competion to extend their streak of medalling in the women's gymnastic team competition to 13 Summer Olympics in a row! :bounce: They boycotted the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles and that's why they haven't medalled in 14 Olympics in a row. Sure their gymnastics team dynasty is over but the Russian girls showed alot of heart to win the bronze medal. :D I only wish NBC television showed more of Elena Zamolodchikova. Elena is my favorite gymnast and she won 2 individial gold medals in the 2000 Sydney Summer Olympics and deserved to be a featured star last night. But NBC thought otherwse and only showed Elena competting once and that was on the vault at the beginning of their coverage. :mad: Zamo is such an emotional girl and it would have been nice to see more of her routines last night and her range of emotions that goes along with her perfomances.

Good luck to the Russian girls in the individual routines. :)

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM
From Russia, with heart
Nossov gets bronze despite broken arm

ATHENS — With his left arm in a full cast, Russia's Dmitri Nossov was back in the Olympic judo arena Wednesday as a smiling spectator, a day after winning a bronze medal with basically one arm.

Nossov heard cracking sounds in his left elbow when thrown during a 179-pound semifinal loss Tuesday.

“I was sent here by Russia … not to withdraw from the competition, to get a medal for my country at any cost,” the 24-year-old said via an interpreter.

Nossov says he was in a “state of shock” when he hurt his elbow when thrown to the mat during his semifinal loss to eventual champion Ilias Iliadis of Greece.

In his bronze final about two hours later against Mehman Azizov of Azerbaijan, he mostly kept his left arm close to his body, grabbing and tugging with his right arm. “I showed … the real Russian character,” he said. “Russians never surrender.”

the cat
Aug 19th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Congrats to Dmitri Nossov on his hard earned bronze medal! :D And thanks for the article GL. :)

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Aug 19th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Cat, I would prefer in this order..

Gold - Elena Dementieva
Silver - Anastasia Myskina... :angel:

I would prefer that also!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Thanks for keeping us informed aboutthe Russian athletes Goldenlox! Thanks!

goldenlox
Maybe in 2008. Right now it's Nastya and Sveta.

bubble
Aug 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Only Nastya now.... :sad:

By the way, are the Russian contingent underperforming ? I expect them to be at least in the top 3 medal standing by now.. but they ar e no where in sight among the top 5......

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:39 AM
Men's volleyball -

Men : Russia beat USA to get them in trouble

ATHENS, 19 August – Russia turned things around to get an important win over the United States, 3-1 (22-25, 25-20, 25-16, 25-23) at the Peace and Friendship Stadium.

Before the match both teams had 2-1 records and they knew that the winner of this game would make a big step forwards.

The United States started very well the first set with a 7-1 point-streak thanks to spikes by Clayton STANLEY and Ryan MILLAR. But the Russian team managed to tie the set at 12 points. A new rally by the US brought the set to 18-14 for the Americans, but Russians answered back again to even things, 18-18. The States proved to be calmer at that moment as they sailed to a 25-22 victory.

The second set was also supposed to be a fight. Guided by Stanislav DINEYKIN and Alexey KULESHOV, the Russians finally grabbed the second by 25-20.

Russia took charge of the third set also. The States were unable to stop the Russians attacks and the end of the third set found Russia celebrating, 25-16.

The battle of the fourth set was really an excitement to watch. Americans managed to overcome Russia’s lead and were the first team

DINEYKIN (25 points), KULESHOV (18) and Serguey TETYUKHIN (15) were the high scorers for the winners.

The US team were offensively led by STANLEY (22 points) and William PRIDDY (19).

Russia now have 2-1 records, while for the US this was their second loss in three matches.

Russia go head-to-head with Brazil on Saturday, August 21, while the US face Australia.

Stephieva
Aug 20th, 2004, 03:58 AM
I'm very very sad Svetlana Khorkina didn't win gold in women AA...:sad:

bubble
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:06 AM
I'm very very sad Svetlana Khorkina didn't win gold in women AA...:sad:
Same here... :sad:
Anna Pavlova too... She was in tears....

Stephieva
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Same here... :sad:
Anna Pavlova too... She was in tears....I can't see their reaction...really..:sad:
Sveta is 25 now...and it's her last Olympics..
I'm so sad...

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:15 AM
In was just out for a while, I missed it. But I'll get to see Nastya-JHH on tape tomorrow.

Stephieva
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:57 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39975000/jpg/_39975940_khorkina203.jpg

me feeling much better after seeing this pic...
She smiled...and looked happy.

Stephieva
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Russian Vball beat USA team 3-2 set..:sad:
I like both...and Russia was almost 100% secured for the final 8..
so today I cheered for USA which had to win...Logan & Stacy....:crying2:

But Russia is 100% in QF now..:)

the cat
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:36 AM
It's beena bad Olympics for Russia so far. It's time they atarted to win some gold medals. :)

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Russia stuns U.S. in volleyball

http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
BY MARCIA C. SMITH
The Orange County Register

ATHENS - (KRT) - The American passers finished the fifth and final set on their elbows and kneepads, with their arms stretched to reach a Russian spike that split a block, hit the floor and won Friday night's match.

Ekaterina Gamova, Russia's dangerous 6-foot-8 outside hitter, pounded that shot and 44 others at, through and off the hands and bodies the U.S. women's indoor volleyball, which suffered its second consecutive five-set defeat in pool play.

The top-ranked United States lost to the Russia, 20-25, 25-17, 20-25, 25-18, 15-11, in front of 4,473 spectators at Peace and Friendship Stadium. The defeat drops the Americans to 1-3 in pool play, forcing them to beat three-time defending Olympic champion Cuba on Sunday at 9:30 p.m. to advance into the quarterfinals.

"I don't think anyone expected the Olympics to have turned out like this," said American outside hitter Logan Tom, whose team dropped a five-set marathon Wednesday to a Dominican Republic team making its Olympic volleyball debut.

The United States took a 2-1 lead going into the fourth set then crumbled defensively as the Russian spikers began bombarding the place with swinging attacks from the right side, quick shots from the middle and the more traditional strong-side attack.

Gamova had a match-high 22 kills. She had four blocks for points and locked arms with Elena Plotnikova and Liubovo Shashkova to form a wall against America's best hitters, Tayyiba Haneef (21 kills on 58 attacks) and Tom (19 kills on 40 attacks).

" It was a struggle to get around them," said the 6-foot-7 Haneef, of Laguna Hills, Calif., and Long Beach State.

`My best shot was to hit angle and use the block and not worry about how many people they had up there."

Often it was three. And then three others were poised to jump at anything that slipped through to make a decent pass and strike back.

In the deciding fifth set, Gamova towering high over the right side of the net and the fingertips of the American blockers and smacked the volleyball down the line for the Russian's 6-5 edge.

She hit the ball off the blockers' hands and out of bounds from the left side to put her team up 11-9.

Tom fired back, tooling the Russian block from the strong side to narrow the gap, 11-10. Then American Heather Bown jumpserved the ball into the net_one of the team's 10 service errors_to give the Russian's a 12-10 advantage and the momentum.

For the victory, Gamova fired the ball between the split arms of a blocking Haneef and watched it reach the floor untouched and bounce off the court.

Stephieva
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:03 AM
"I don't think anyone expected the Olympics to have turned out like this," said American outside hitter Logan Tom, whose team dropped a five-set marathon Wednesday to a Dominican Republic team making its Olympic volleyball debut. Logan :crying2:

But congrats Russia...
They are in QFs 100% :yeah:

Chunchun
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:16 AM
Russian Vball beat USA team 3-2 set..:sad:
I like both...and Russia was almost 100% secured for the final 8..
so today I cheered for USA which had to win...Logan & Stacy....:crying2:

But Russia is 100% in QF now..:)

Steph do u know about China's volleyball team??

did they secure advance??

i just know they beat USA,GER,DOM , lost to CUB

and to face RUS on sunday :scared:

Stephieva
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:25 AM
Yes...Rus, Cuba, and China are into QFs for sure...

All USA, GER, and DOM have chances....
if they all win on Sunday..they will count sets..:scared:
Butttttttttttttttt GER will face DOM, so both can't win...
And if USA wins .. they are in for the 4th place...cos' they have the best sets.
I'm nervous for USA...

Chunchun
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:21 AM
Yes...Rus, Cuba, and China are into QFs for sure...

All USA, GER, and DOM have chances....
if they all win on Sunday..they will count sets..:scared:
Butttttttttttttttt GER will face DOM, so both can't win...
And if USA wins .. they are in for the 4th place...cos' they have the best sets.
I'm nervous for USA...

oh USA face Cuba in Sunday :eek:

Good Luck!

How about if USA lost to Cuba in Sunday???

Stephieva
Aug 21st, 2004, 11:41 AM
How about if USA lost to Cuba in Sunday???They will be out 100%...
cos' either GER or DOM will win their match...
and the winner will be in...
But if USA wins...no matter the result of GER vs DOM is...USA will be in.

Anyway...Russia is one of my fave...
Nikolia Karpol is damn funny...:lol:
But he always makes players cry...:scared:

Chunchun
Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
China up a set 25-15 to russia in women volleyball:woohoo: :woohoo:

sorry russian :sad:

bubble
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:19 PM
I can't see their reaction...really..:sad:
Sveta is 25 now...and it's her last Olympics..
I'm so sad...
Sveta was just disappointed but stayed very strong.. Anna cried and later in interview, she mentioned she was crying for Svetlana and herself for they did not reach their goals...

Russia lost both Trampoline gold men/women which they should have won... :mad:

I would say it's bad Olympics for Russia so far...

Stephieva
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
15-25, 16-25, 26-28..:sad:
China is damn strong...
But Russia is into QFs 100%...nothing to upset much...
Gamova is damn :eek:

Update: GER beat DOM 3-0...
USA must win...if not...GER will be in...:mad:

Stephieva
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Sveta was just disappointed but stayed very strong.. She said she was always an Olympics champion at Sydney..:lol:
She is damn proud of herself...:worship:
After all...she is a 3 time world champion...she's still the best!

bubble
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM
She said she was always an Olympics champion at Sydney..:lol:
She is damn proud of herself...:worship:
After all...she is a 3 time world champion...she's still the best!
She was not wrong :tape: .. She is still the reigning uneven bars olympics champion... and should defend her title tonight... :lol:

Sigh.. there is noone else like Svetlana... What a queen...:hearts: :kiss:

bubble
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
i think the Russians must be tanking the Vball match against China... :tape:

Stephieva
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
She should defend her title tonight... http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif Yesssssss....I will cheer hard....:bounce:

Chunchun
Aug 22nd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Sveta was just disappointed but stayed very strong.. Anna cried and later in interview, she mentioned she was crying for Svetlana and herself for they did not reach their goals...

Russia lost both Trampoline gold men/women which they should have won... :mad:

I would say it's bad Olympics for Russia so far...

ya russians really perform bad in this olympics :mad: (eg. LenaD :o)

i expected russia is a strong nation since they are in the second place in the

medal table Sydney, now they just have 6 gold, so avg they'll only get about

12 golds in Athens :o

bubble
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Gymnast Khorkina Says 'Judges Robbed Me'
Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:11 AM ET

By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women's all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said "everything was decided in advance."

"I'm just furious," Khorkina, who had been favorite for the coveted title, was quoted as saying in the daily Izvestia. "I knew well in advance, even before I stepped on the stage for my first event, that I was going to lose."

"Everything was decided in advance. I had no illusions about this when the judges gave me 9.462 for the vault after conferring with one another at length.

"I practically did everything right, still they just set me up and fleeced me," she said in the interview published on Saturday.

Asked why she felt she was marked down by the judges, Khorkina said: "You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!"

When Khorkina won her silver medal on Thursday, she showed no outward signs of disappointment and said: "I think it's the best day of my life."

The Russian was also favorite for the all-round title four years ago in Sydney, where her hopes were dashed after she crashed to her knees from the vault. It was later discovered the horse had been set five centimeters too short.

She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics.

Khorkina did not think Patterson was a deserving winner.

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

Khorkina confirmed that Athens were her last Olympics but she wants to remain in the sport.

"I'd like to work for the International Gymnastics Federation. These competitions have shown the sport needs a lot of changes," she said. "It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanic tumbling." On Sunday the Russian will compete in her last event -- the uneven bars, where she is hoping to become the first gymnast in history to win three consecutive Olympic titles on the same apparatus.

the cat
Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
I was rooting for Svetlana Khorkina to win the all around gold medla in Athens. That would have been great. But Carly Patterson clearly deserved the gold medal and it's time Svetlana stopped her complaining of how she was robbed by the judges. That clearly wasn't the case. Anna Pavlova has a more legitimate complaint about finishing fourth in the all around and missing the bronze medal than Khorkina does in finishing second in the all around and getting the silver medal.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
its an embarrassing games for us :(
only 6 Golds and one taken away from Shot Putter
even GB has more :help: :rolleyes:

Tatyana Lebedeva was fav for TJ and only got 3rd
everything is going pear shaped :( :sad: :mad:

the cat
Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Eggy, Russia's final medal total will be respectable. But Russia's lack of gold medals is alarming! :eek: The question where the future of Russian sports is concerned is how can Russia keep up with the United States and China when it comes to sports when Russia spends about 1/100 of what the United States and China spend on their national sports programs?

And what about male Russian athletes. Have they been usurped by female Russian athletes in the World Championships and Olympics? That seems to be the case.

Stephieva
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Russian Vball team is into SFs :D:D:D
(but USA :crying2: and Logan Tom got the yellow card today :bigcry: )
I'm damn sad for USA especially Logan Tom now...:sad:
Good luck againt Cuba....GO RUSSIA :bounce: :aparty:
Edit: I read news...RUS's opponent is Cuba...
If anyone can confirm...it'd be great.

PS: still sad about USA and Logan...:sad:

the cat
Aug 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
The Russian men's volleyball team has joined the Russian women's volleyball team in the semifinals. :D

Chunchun
Aug 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Russian Vball team is into SFs :D:D:D
(but USA :crying2: and Logan Tom got the yellow card today :bigcry: )
I'm damn sad for USA especially Logan Tom now...:sad:
Good luck againt Cuba....GO RUSSIA :bounce: :aparty:
Edit: I read news...RUS's opponent is Cuba...
If anyone can confirm...it'd be great.

PS: still sad about USA and Logan...:sad:

RUS vs. Cuba?!?!!?

i think the draw shoule be:
Brazil vs. RUS
CUba vs. CHN

goldenlox
Aug 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Russia Wins Three Golds in One Day

Created: 25.08.2004
MosNews

Russia’s Dmitry Berestov won the gold medal in the Olympic 105 kg weightlifting category on Tuesday. Two more golds came courtesy of Yelena Isinbayeva, who broke the world record in the women’s pole vault, and cyclist Mikhail Ignatyev, who gave Russia their first medal of the track cycling events.

Berestov combined a lift of 195 kg in the snatch with 230 kg in the clean-and-jerk for a winning total of 425 kg. Hungarian Ferenc Gyurkovics took the silver with 420 kg and Igor Razoronov of Ukraine the bronze with the same total. Gyurkovics finished ahead of the Ukrainian because of his lighter body weight.

“Before I left my father joked: ’If you don’t get a medal, don’t come home’,” Reuters quoted Berestov, 24, as saying. “I think I did even better than they were expecting.”

He was the first Russian lifter to climb to the top of the medal podium in Athens.

Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia broke the world record in the women’s pole vault for the fourth time this year, easily clearing 16 feet, 1 1/4 inches (4.91 meters) to take the gold medal Tuesday night, Associated Press reported.

Ignatyev finished with 93 points. “The first part of the race was very tight but half way through I really felt as though I was getting stronger,” Reuters quoted him as saying. “I knew that if I could hold on I had a good chance.”

the cat
Aug 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM
I hope Russia does well in the heptathalon and Rythmic gymanstics. :)

Frank
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:12 PM
The Russian volleyball team beat Serbia & Montenegro???:eek:

Wow...Impressive!

Congrats!

bubble
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Ekaterina Gamova is :eek: in volleyball... :)

CAn't wait for Rythmic gymnastics to start. :)

Stephieva
Aug 26th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Ekaterina Gamova is :eek: in volleyball... :) yessssssssssss damn :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
As I know...she is leading on pts making...
Damn impressive. :yeah:

goldenlox
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM
The Russians will depend on Korstin, of course, and 6-foot-8 Maria Stepanova in the middle against Lisa Leslie.

Korstin and Stepanova, 25, have WNBA experience, both having played in Phoenix.

Korstin was there, briefly, and Stepanova played there from 1998-2001, averaging 10.4 points in 2001, and became a fan favorite.

Fans used to hold up signs saying, "Will U Mary Me, Maria?"

But she left Arizona, saying it was too hot there for her infant son. She declined an interview here, saying her English was not good enough.

Korstin, 24, who speaks four languages, confirmed that, saying Stepanova needed an interpreter at Phoenix.

Korstin said she might go back to the WNBA eventually. And there is talk that Stepanova is considering it as well. Korstin said her teammate was a different person since becoming a mother.

"She changed a lot," Korstin said. "Now she takes a lot of care of her child. Spends a lot of time with her child. She is more calm now. I think she became better. Better person.

"Little boy very tall. He is like her."

But he isn't in Athens, watching his mother and her friends play basketball at the highest level.

And you can guess why.

"He's not here because it's very hot," Korstin said. "He stay in Russia."

Epigone
Aug 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia broke the world record in the women’s pole vault for the fourth time this year, easily clearing 16 feet, 1 1/4 inches (4.91 meters) to take the gold medal Tuesday night, Associated Press reported.My tip for gold won :)

Yelena :worship:

Stephieva
Aug 27th, 2004, 03:46 PM
OMG...Russia into Final ...They beat BRA...:eek:
Gamova is gonna be the best player in Athens...:worship:

Good luck agaist China...but it's tough...:scared:
They lost to China 0-3 in the preliminary rd.

bubble
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:02 PM
OMG...Russia into Final ...They beat BRA...:eek:
Gamova is gonna be the best player in Athens...:worship:

Good luck agaist China...but it's tough...:scared:
They lost to China 0-3 in the preliminary rd.
Yes, and look at the manner they won by saving seven match points in the 4th set! :eek:

yeah, good luck but I think the chance is better than playing against Cuba.. :)

Stephieva
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I really dun understand the Vball team.
USA always beats Cuba and always loses to Brazil and Rus
But Cuba often beats Rus and Brazil...
Logan couldn't terminate agaist Brazil...but always dominates against Cuba...
It's strange...:lol:

Anyway...Chi wasn't that strong yesterday...
RUS has changes :D:D:D

the cat
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Good luck to the Russian volleyball girls! :D And good luck to the Russian volleyball guys too. :)

bubble
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I really dun understand the Vball team.
USA always beats Cuba and always loses to Brazil and Rus
But Cuba often beats Rus and Brazil...
Logan couldn't terminate agaist Brazil...but always dominates against Cuba...
It's strange...:lol:

Anyway...Chi wasn't that strong yesterday...
RUS has changes :D:D:D

haha, tennis is like that too...
Elena D always give Lindsay a hard fight and has beaten her a few times. But Nastya cannot handle Lindsay at all and has lost to Lindsay meekly all the time. But Nastya can beat Elena D quite easily... :p

Stephieva
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:22 PM
But Nastya can beat Elena D quite easily... :pBut just one time...:lol:

Yes...you're damn right...
But I'm more confused about team sports than individual ones.

Anyway...

Go Russia ...
Beat China...
Get the gold medal...

Chunchun
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM
plzzz dun send me bad rep..

i m going to cheer for CHINA for obvious reason in the volleyball women Final

PLZZZZ CHINA :bawdown:

Chunchun
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
But just one time...:lol:

Yes...you're damn right...
But I'm more confused about team sports than individual ones.

Anyway...

Go Russia ...
Beat China...
Get the gold medal...

Go China ...
Beat Russia...
Get the gold medal...

Chunchun
Aug 27th, 2004, 04:46 PM
BTW Gamova is really :hearts: :hearts: :drool: and she's really tall :eek:

and also Sokolova :inlove:

Hantuchov
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:35 AM
BTW Gamova is really :hearts: :hearts: :drool: and she's really tall :eek:

and also Sokolova :inlove:

C'moooonnnnn, Gamova is :o :retard: :o

But Lyuba is damn nice :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Now that the worse team (compared to Brasil) reached the Final, I want them to win and hopefully Lyuba will take the MVP Award. It would be damn nice.

Best of luck girls! :bounce:

Angel Burning
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:44 AM
It looks as if leaving Elena BOVINA off the Olympic team, cost Russia a medal. Good job.

goldenlox
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Russians sweep women's long jumphttp://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39927000/jpg/_39927783_lebedeva200.jpg
8/27/2004, 4:54 p.m. ET
By ROB GLOSTER
The Associated Press
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Tatyana Lebedeva led an unprecedented Russian medal sweep in the long jump, relegating Marion Jones to fifth place in her only individual event of the Athens Games.
Lebedeva, who won a bronze in the triple jump four days earlier, leaped 23 feet, 2 1/2 inches to take the gold. Irina Simagina was second with a jump of 23-1 3/4 and Tatyana Kotova won the bronze.
It was the first time one nation had swept the women's long jump at an Olympics.
"After the triple jump, my coach said to me that I must relax and not be afraid to compete," said Lebedeva, the silver medalist in the triple jump in Sydney. "I have the complete set of medals now — gold, silver and bronze."
Lebedeva's winning leap came on her second attempt. Simagina and Kotova tied on their best jumps, but Simagina took the silver because her second-best jump was better than that of her compatriot.

Angel Burning
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Where is Yelena Isinbayeva in this thread?

She's so fun to watch... and she's incredibly cute.

Eggy, get to it, Isinbayeva pics, please.

the cat
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Congratualtion to the Russian long jumpers on their Athens medal sweep! :D

And you're right, Angel. Yelena Isinbayeva is alot of fun to watch. :) But I was rooting for little Svetlana Feofanova to win the gold. But I'm glad Yelena and Svetlana finished 1-2. And it's maddening that NBC shafted the women's pole vault until the end of the show just because American Stacy Dragila wasn't in the finals. :mad:

Has the rythmic gymnastics comepetition taken place yet? And I didn't even know the heptathalon was concluded last weekend. if Americanas aren't involved NBC won't give the event much coverage. :(

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
That's the advantage of subsidized government channels we have here...They broadcast about everything they can...:angel:

And cat...I've seen some rythmic gymnastics today...So I guess it has started...

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
As a matter of fact, cat...Rythimic gymnastics is right now...It's live on Eurosport right now...

the cat
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks Frank. I'll go home and see if rythmic gymnastics is on television now.

Chunchun
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Hey guys do u think Russia can comeback to no.1 or 2 in the medal table??

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Gold medal for the Russian rythmic gymnasts!

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:16 PM
"Russia wins gold in rhythmic gymnastics again

Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Russia won the gold medal in the women's team all-around final of rhythmic gymnastics on Saturday.

It was the second straight Olympic gold medal for the Russians in the competition and their third medal overall as they also won a bronze in 1996.

Russia finished with a total of 51.100 points, while Italy captured the silver medal with 49.450. Bulgaria earned the bronze with a mark of 48.600.

The team of Olesia Beluguina, Olga Glatskikh, Tatiana Kurbakova, Natalia Lavrova, Elena Murzina and Elena Posevina maintained the supremacy for the Russians in the event. The Russians had the highest score for both the five ribbons and the 3 hoops/2 balls routine (25.300 and 25.800 respectively).

"It was very difficult, but we made it, because we are united as a team and tied by friendship," Lavrova said.

The individual all-around final is Sunday. Russia's Alina Kabaeva, a two-time world champion and five-time European champion, earned the second best scores on clubs and ribbon to hold on to first place in all-around qualifying. Russia's Irina Tchachina is second with Ukraine's Anna Bessonova third.

08/28 12:40:26 ET"

Source: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/
Location: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=olymp/news/BON3460184.htm

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Big upset in the men's 800m final...

Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia beat top favourite triple world champion Wilson Kipketer of Denmark and took the gold medal...

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
"Borzakovskiy rallies to win men's 800m

Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia captured the gold medal in the men's 800 meter final Saturday night.

He rallied in the final 100 meters to edge out Mbulaeni Mulaudzi of South Africa and triple world champion Wilson Kipketer of Denmark. Borzakovskiy finished the race in 1 minute, 44.45 seconds. Mulaudzi was second, just .16 seconds back, while Kipketer was .04 off the silver medal."

Source: HoustonChronicle.com
Location: http://sports.chron.com/default.asp?c=chron&page=olymp/news/BON3460287.htm

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM
"August 28, 2004

Borzakovskiy surges to 800m gold
By Times Online and AP
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/images/trans.gif Yuriy Borzakovskiy, of Russia, relied on his trademark late kick to sweep by four competitors in the finishing straight and win the 800 metres Olympic gold medal tonight ahead of South Africa's Mbulaeni Tongai Mulaudzi.

NI_MPU('middle');
Wilson Kipketer, the world record holder running for Denmark, took the bronze.

In a tactical race, the Russian held back for most of his run, but timed his surge perfectly to finish in 1 minute 44.45 seconds, holding an edge of .16 seconds over Mulaudzi. Kipketer finished in 1:44.65, barely missing silver.

With some 50 metres to go Kipketer still looked poised for gold before he weakened.

At 23, Borzakovskiy finally confirmed the massive promise of his jumior performances."

Source: Times Online
Location: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10513-1237155,00.html

He's so emotional when they play the Russian anthem...:sad:

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Another gold for Russia!

22 Year old Yulia Slesarenko jumped 2 meter 6 in the high jump thus beating top favourite Hestrie Cloete from South Africa...

She tried to jump for 2 meter 10 twice, trying to break the world record of 2 meter 9, but she just failed by a couple of millimeters...

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
"Slesarenko wins high jump

World indoor champion Yelena Slesarenko of Russia won the women's high jump. Slesarenko cleared 2.04m at the first attempt which none of her rivals could match and she went on to set a new Olympic record of 2.06.

She then tried to break the world record of 2.09, but failed with three attempts at 2.10.

Double world champion Hestrie Cloete of South Africa, who came second in Sydney, took silver again and Ukraine's Viktoriya Styopina took the bronze.

Styopina also cleared 2.02 but lost on countback after two failures at both 1.96 and 1.99."

Source: BBC Sport
Location: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/3608786.stm

Frank
Aug 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/images/common/spacer.gif
"Russia's Slesarenko Wins High Jump

Associated Press

ATHENS, Greece - Yelena Slesarenko of Russia set an Olympic record on Saturday while winning the gold medal in high jump.

Slesarenko cleared 6 feet, 9 inches (2.06 meters). Stefka Kostadinova of Bulgaria held the previous record of 6 feet, 8 3/4 inches (2.05 meters), set at the Atlanta Games in 1996.

Hestrie Cloete of South Africa won the silver. Viktoriya Styopina of Ukraine got the bronze."

Source: Associated Press
Location: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/9524088.htm

the cat
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the updates and articles, Frank.

E.DEMENTIEVA, the Russians will finish with the second most medals in Athens. Theya re having a good finish to the games. :)

Stephieva
Aug 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
RUS women Vball --> :(:(:(
After leading 2 sets and losing 3 sets.
Butttttt congrats on the silver medal...:banana:

Anyway...damn strange...teams (BRA..ITA..USA) that did well in GrandPix didn't get any medal in Athens...:eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 28th, 2004, 10:01 PM
a pretty good day.......... in Athletics :D :)

Yelena :kiss: :hearts: for GOLD :) but Anna Chicherova :( :mad: very disappointing
Yuriy :yeah: :D finally he shows his talent :D
4x400m....... Silver ok.......... Nazarova really blew it on 2nd leg :fiery:
Sergey Makarov....... good start, did his best throw in r1 and then went down to 3rd.

Rhymic Gym..... 2 golds :yeah: congrats :D
but watching that is worse than watching grass grow

Volleyball :fiery: i didnt watch it as me watched my fav event athletics
after going 2-0 up......... its even worse :(

bubble
Aug 29th, 2004, 03:25 AM
The Volleyball match is really heart-wrenching for the Russians... :sad:
Too bad, they got silver again...

Chunchun
Aug 29th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the updates and articles, Frank.

E.DEMENTIEVA, the Russians will finish with the second most medals in Athens. Theya re having a good finish to the games. :)

ya they will finish with the second most medals, not the second most GOLD medals :p

saab95
Aug 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Yuriy Borzakovskiy was fantastic.
IMHO, everybody has to watch it.
Super Heavyweight (+91kg/201+lbs) Gold Medal POVETKIN Alexander

and men's volleyball team has to beat USA now again.

Frank
Aug 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Yuriy Borzakovskiy was fantastic.
IMHO, everybody has to watch it. I did...:)

saab95
Aug 29th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I did...:)
I'd like all russian girls do the same before USO ;)

I'm not sure if american tv let them. :confused:

bubble
Aug 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Alina Kabayeva finally won her gold medal in rhythmic gymnastics all round after her bronze disaster in Sydney. :)

Irina Chaschina made an error in the last rotation to lose the gold medal fight... :)

Congrats ! :)

fresh2flash
Aug 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Yuri Borzakovsky is just amazing. I was waiting for this gold medal for the last three years after he withdrew from the world championship in Edmonton saying his main goal is to be an Olympic champion not a world champion. Well done Yura, completely deserved victory!

the cat
Aug 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
China's 0-2 comeback against Russia in the women's volleyball gold medal match is my saddest moments of the 2004 Summer Olympics. :sad: I left the tape running with Russia down 2 points early in game 5. I doubt I'll ever watch the tape of China/Russia women's volleyball gold medal match and it's heartbreaking conclusion. :tears: I worried that if China won the third game after being down 0-2 they win win three straight games and they did. :( Congrats to China on a great comeback but the Russian girls and their controversial long time coach must be absolutely devastated. :sad: Russia had a great comeback against Brazil in the semifinals but losing the gold medal match the way they did in my mind somewhat tarnishes their great comeback win over Brazil. :( China beat Russia 6 out of 8 games in women's volleyball so they are the better team. But when Russia won took a 2-0 lead in the gold medal match thoughts of Russia winning the gold crept into my mind. And the Russian girls probably had thoughts of winning the gold too when they went up 2-0. But what China won the third game it was a different story and they took the momeentum and won the enxt 2 games and the gold.

And I wonder about Russia's ability to perform well in team events. They seem to not handle the pressure as well as they used to in the Soviet days.

I think China is on the verge of building the kind of great sports dynasty that Russia/Soviet Union used to have.

I am very happy Alina Kabaeva came through to win the all around rythmic gymnastics gold medal. :D After being suspened along with Irinia Chaschina a couple years ago for a controversial doping scandal I am glad to see them do well in Athens. :) I am a little sad Irina made a mistake that allowed Alina to win the gold. :( But atleast they finished 1-2 in the medals.

TCBY Treats
Aug 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
China is going to overtake the US in 2008.

fresh2flash
Aug 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
China is going to overtake the US in 2008.I think that it may be. Espl if you take into consideration that with American or Russian athletes may happen the same thing that happened with Roy Jones in Seoul in 1988. :cool:

Chunchun
Aug 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM

i hope so :D

Chinese rocks!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

the cat
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Let's hope that doesn't happen, Freshy. ;)

Congrats to the Russian men's vollyeball team on the bronze medal they won today in defeating America 3-0 in the bronze medal match. :)

the cat
Aug 30th, 2004, 10:48 PM
If Russia had won their normal amount of medals in women's and men's gymnastics they would have won the most medals in Athens instead of finishing second to America. But overall Russia had a good medal showing in Athens. Especially when you consider Russia got off to a slow start in Athens.

And the Moscow Times has a feature article on their about the Summer Olympics called "Athletes Sprint to $8M Pot of Gold". It's located at http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/08/31/002.html

deckham
Aug 31st, 2004, 04:06 AM
i don't see that happening... russia is only going to get stronger, and everyone is still trying to play catchup with the u.s. .... i still see a battle b/t russia and u.s. for #1 and china still in third.... which is still awesome by any means... :yeah:

the cat
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:53 PM
deckham, how is Russian sports going to get stronger when they have little money to put into their sports programs? China on the other hand is putting so much money into their sports programs that I think it's only a matter of time before they pose a serious total medal threat to America in the summer olympics.