PDA

View Full Version : Boycott?

Tomas22
Aug 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
German O. C. says that Barna and Weitgatner can´t play the OG because they didn´t arrive to GS semifinals or a WTA Tour finals. Players like Dechy says that he won´t play if the GOC banned the german players to play...

Any news about it?

pan
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:02 PM
ANCA and MARLENE won't play in athens. german olympic committee isn't impressed by the the "maybe-boycott" of some international female tennis players:

"we announced our olympic team of 453 athletes on july 21st and we won't post-nominate them," the german o.c. says, "we expect that itf and wta will respect our decision."

"strike is an option," MARLENE said, "wether i told the other women to play!"

i guess there's no chance anymore. this will be the first olympic women's tennis tournament of modern times without german girls...

-cata-
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Tennis players advised not to boycott Olympics
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/blank.gifLast Updated: Thu Aug 5 12:03:55 EDT 2004

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - The head of the Women's Tennis Association urged players not to boycott the upcoming Athens Olympics to protest a German Olympic committee decision to keep two female tennis players from competing at the Games. Anca Barna and Marlene Weingartner will not play for Germany when the tennis competition begins Aug. 15, even though both players met the standards set by the International Tennis Federation, which is in charge of the entry qualifications for the event.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/weingartner_marlene020119.jpg Marlene Weingartner from Germany celebrates winning a match at the Australian Open in 2002. (AP Photo)
Many players on the WTA tour who are going to Athens were incensed with Germany's decision. Some athletes threatened to pull out of the Olympic competition as a sign of unity.

"We discussed the matter at a players meeting on Monday," France's Nathalie Dechy told the Globe and Mail on Wednesday, "and I think there's a real chance of a boycott."

However, Larry Scott, the chief executive officer of the WTA tour, met with approximately 30 players at the Rogers Cup in Montreal late Wednesday and advised them not to pull out of the Summer Games as a form of protest.

"I did make it clear to the players, who reacted very strongly to this injustice [the German players' exclusion], that missing the Olympics, not playing in the Olympics, is not in the best interests of women's professional tennis nor the sport in general," Scott told the Globe and Mail on Thursday.

Scott added that the ITF and International Olympic Committee are involved in trying to resolve the situation, but ultimately it is the German Olympic committee's choice on which players, if any, go to Athens.

Barna and Weingartner were ranked 46th and 52nd, respectively, on the July 15 list of 56 entrants. The women's singles draw is made up of 64 players, eight of which are wildcards.

The German Olympic committee set extremely high qualification standards for its tennis players – a semifinal of a Grand Slam tournament or a final of a "tier-one" event. Barna and Weingartner did not meet either standard.

The German Olympic committee did make an exception for Florian Mayer, who also did not meet the stringent qualification.

Mayer was 53rd on the men's entry list for Athens and was initially not named to Germany's team, however, he was allowed to compete due to his performance in the Wimbledon quarter-finals this year.

The WTA feels this is unfair and is lobbying the ITF to pressure the IOC and German Olympic committee into reinstating Barna and Weingartner.

One way the WTA could put pressure on the ITF would be to withdraw ranking points for the Olympics. The WTA had agreed to award points after an ITF assurance that all qualified players would be allowed to compete.

If that scenario were to happen, some of the women's players may pull out of the Olympic competition either in support of the German athletes or because of the loss of WTA points.

This is the first Olympics where WTA and ATP tour ranking points are being awarded for the singles event.

Buitenzorg
Aug 6th, 2004, 11:15 AM
:o

azza
Aug 6th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Boycott :rocker2:

Babolatpro880
Aug 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Here's an article from WTAtour.com: Larry Scott, Marlene Weingartner Comment on Olympic Situation

MONTREAL, Canada - Following are excerpts from press conferences held in Montreal Wednesday with WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott and German WTA Tour player Marlene Weingärtner (pictured) regarding the non-selection of Weingärtner and Anca Barna on the German Olympic Team, despite them meeting the qualification requirements laid out by the WTA Tour and International Tennis Federation.
LARRY SCOTT, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, WTA TOUR
I just completed a very lively and very constructive discussion with a group of players and others numbering about 30 regarding the decision by the German Olympic Committee to not send to the Olympics two qualified WTA Tour players, Anca Barna and Marlene Weingärtner, who had qualified for the Olympics based on an agreement between the WTA Tour and the International Tennis Federation by which the WTA Tour agreed to provide ranking points to the women's Olympic tennis competition and the ITF, with the blessing of the IOC, agreed to provide entry to the top 56 players based on ranking.

The central purpose of this agreement was to ensure that the principles of fairness and meritocracy, that are the hallmarks of the ranking system, must govern entry into the Olympic tennis competition if the Olympic tennis competition is going to be rewarded with ranking points and, therefore, provide another incentive for the best players in the world to play in the Olympic tennis competition, and the WTA Tour was happy to enter into that agreement to provide our support for the Olympic tennis event and the IOC.

(The agreement is) between the ITF and the WTA Tour, with the ITF being the international governing body for tennis for the Olympics but done with the blessing and with the support of the President of the IOC, who committed himself to try to make sure that that agreement could be honoured, with the understanding that the final veto does still reside with the National Olympic Committees.

So it's in good faith that we all proceeded that way. The WTA Tour has lived up to its end of the bargain. We have an extraordinary player field that's going to be at the Olympics and the WTA Tour is prepared to offer ranking points and live up to its end of the bargain. In this case that agreement has not been respected by the leadership of the IOC and the German Olympic Committee and it's a real affront to our players and a real setback I think for tennis.

At this evening's player meeting, we had a lively discussion. It gave me a chance to give them the background to our agreement with the ITF to let them know the steps that have been taken to try to lobby the ITF and the IOC and then the German Olympic Committee to reverse this arbitrary decision.

The players have reaffirmed their unanimous support for the two players, Anca Barna and Marlene Weingärtner, who have been denied the opportunity to play when they've earned the right to play through our agreement with the ITF.

I'm calling on the President of the IOC, as well as the leadership of the German Olympic Committee, to rectify this injustice again on behalf of the players and out of respect for fairness and a merit-based entry system into the Olympics, such fairness being the hallmark of what the Olympics should stand for.

MARLENE WEINGÄRTNER, GERMAN WTA TOUR PLAYER
I actually got hope with (German ATP player Mayer's selection, despite him not meeting the German Olympic Committee requirements) because I thought that because they made the exception for Mayer, which is great, that they will do the same for us, which was not the case but it's great for him.

He's played a while and I think he worked hard for it, like us, and it's great for him to have this opportunity for sure.

From different sides there's been work done to try to convince the German Olympic Committee, but I'm really disappointed because I was really hoping all my life to participate in this event. It would be a dream come true for me and I'm really sad about it. I'm speaking also in the name of Anca Barna.

I worked very hard for this and I was nominated by the ITF for my ranking and I've been denied. It's very disappointing for me.

My father, he was a canoeist and he had the final competition to go to the Olympics. He missed it by not even seconds and that team won then. So, if I go there to the Olympics, I would also fulfil my father's dream; he would live this dream through me and it would be fantastic.

I'm urging the German Olympic Committee to maybe still change their minds. We still have a few days left and what I wanted to say, I really, really want to play for my country and I want the people (to) want me to play for them too.