PDA

View Full Version : I met David and Mary in Montreal

Jackaboo
Aug 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Hello fellow Mary fans, I just wanted to let you know that on Monday I went to the Rogers Cup in Montreal and I got to speak with David for a few minutes, then I briefly talked to Mary after her 1st round match! Here's the story if you're interested.

When I got to the stadium on Monday morning, as I was waiting in line to get my ticket I looked at the matches scheduled for the day, and I got very happy when I saw Mary was playing at 1:00 pm. I have been a big fan of hers for ever but had never seen Mary play live in person before.

So at about 12:45, I went to stand where the players come out of the players locker room area to go to the main stadium (it's about 25 meters or so between the 2 and it is a good place to see the players very close as they walk by). So there am I all alone, waiting for the players to eventually come out for their match, and then I see this guy sitting on the grass smoking a cigarette, and I thought wow, this guy looks like David Pierce! So I went to him and I said: excuse me, are you David? And he said yes, shook my hand, and asked me my name. He is a super nice guy! We chatted for about 5 minutes. I asked him questions about how he's coaching Mary.

In a nutshell: He said he didn't know how long he was going to coach Mary, for now he was with her for until after the US Open, then they will see. He said he is working very hard with Mary on the mental side, he said she had been struggling this year during the clay season, things were better on grass but then that stupid injury at Wimbledon. He thought Mary was in good shape but still needed to work on it. I asked where they were going to live and he said they don't have a place right now, but that after the US Open Mary was going to choose. It was going to be either Paris or Florida, but he went to say that Paris would be a good choice because the French tennis federation was there and they were providing some support for Mary. He said Mary was disappointed with her loss at the Acura Classic but was looking forward to play in Montreal. Then I wished him and Mary a good tournament, he said thanks very much and he left to go back inside to see Mary before her match. I was so thrilled I had spoken to Mary's brother!

Then the players came out, Mary walked by, just a few centimeters from me, but she was very concentrated and was looking at the ground. Then, happy that I had talked to David and briefly seen Mary, I went to see the match in the stadium. Mary was just too good and too powerful, her serve was very very good, she didn't have to work real hard and won 6/1 6/1. Mary seemed happy and she smiled a lot towards the end of the match.

Then after the match I went back outside of the stadium, close to the players area and waited for Mary to come by. This time though there were many people waiting for her, to get her autograph. As I got to the same spot where I was before the match, David came up and stood right next to me. I looked at him and I said "Hey David, that was a good start! Congratulations!" and he smiled and said "Yes, that was a very good start, Mary will be pleased!". Then Mary came out of the stadium and she was really nice to people, she took lots of time to sign autographs and to say hi to her fans, she spoke both in French in English to the people there. When she got really close to me, I said "Hi Mary, can I take a picture?". She said "sure" and smiled to me, I took the picture, and I said "Good job today Mary, and good luck this week in Montreal" and she smiled and she said "thank you very much" then she walked in the players area. I thought she was very very nice, and very patient with her fans!

So needless to say, I was a very very happy guy!

Mark Spruce
Aug 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
WOW thanks so much for such a great story you are so lucky. Hey could i post this on my site ???

www.mary-pierce.org (http://www.mary-pierce.org)

I would put it under of course the Rogers AT&T section

regards

Mark

ashwu
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
wow~ lucky~~~
hope they do well!!!

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM
thanks a lot !

Mary is really one of the nicest player, not to say the nicest with her fans !

"Sluggy"
Aug 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM
thats a great Story! I am so happy to have heard that story and that means Mary will be in Paris probably and will compete at the Open Gaz.

MPStylee
Aug 5th, 2004, 07:08 AM
That's an excellent story!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Tompier
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
You`re so lucky, good for you :)

Piotrek
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Hello fellow Mary fans, I just wanted to let you know that on Monday I went to the Rogers Cup in Montreal and I got to speak with David for a few minutes, then I briefly talked to Mary after her 1st round match! Here's the story if you're interested.

When I got to the stadium on Monday morning, as I was waiting in line to get my ticket I looked at the matches scheduled for the day, and I got very happy when I saw Mary was playing at 1:00 pm. I have been a big fan of hers for ever but had never seen Mary play live in person before.

So at about 12:45, I went to stand where the players come out of the players locker room area to go to the main stadium (it's about 25 meters or so between the 2 and it is a good place to see the players very close as they walk by). So there am I all alone, waiting for the players to eventually come out for their match, and then I see this guy sitting on the grass smoking a cigarette, and I thought wow, this guy looks like David Pierce! So I went to him and I said: excuse me, are you David? And he said yes, shook my hand, and asked me my name. He is a super nice guy! We chatted for about 5 minutes. I asked him questions about how he's coaching Mary.

In a nutshell: He said he didn't know how long he was going to coach Mary, for now he was with her for until after the US Open, then they will see. He said he is working very hard with Mary on the mental side, he said she had been struggling this year during the clay season, things were better on grass but then that stupid injury at Wimbledon. He thought Mary was in good shape but still needed to work on it. I asked where they were going to live and he said they don't have a place right now, but that after the US Open Mary was going to choose. It was going to be either Paris or Florida, but he went to say that Paris would be a good choice because the French tennis federation was there and they were providing some support for Mary. He said Mary was disappointed with her loss at the Acura Classic but was looking forward to play in Montreal. Then I wished him and Mary a good tournament, he said thanks very much and he left to go back inside to see Mary before her match. I was so thrilled I had spoken to Mary's brother!

Then the players came out, Mary walked by, just a few centimeters from me, but she was very concentrated and was looking at the ground. Then, happy that I had talked to David and briefly seen Mary, I went to see the match in the stadium. Mary was just too good and too powerful, her serve was very very good, she didn't have to work real hard and won 6/1 6/1. Mary seemed happy and she smiled a lot towards the end of the match.

Then after the match I went back outside of the stadium, close to the players area and waited for Mary to come by. This time though there were many people waiting for her, to get her autograph. As I got to the same spot where I was before the match, David came up and stood right next to me. I looked at him and I said "Hey David, that was a good start! Congratulations!" and he smiled and said "Yes, that was a very good start, Mary will be pleased!". Then Mary came out of the stadium and she was really nice to people, she took lots of time to sign autographs and to say hi to her fans, she spoke both in French in English to the people there. When she got really close to me, I said "Hi Mary, can I take a picture?". She said "sure" and smiled to me, I took the picture, and I said "Good job today Mary, and good luck this week in Montreal" and she smiled and she said "thank you very much" then she walked in the players area. I thought she was very very nice, and very patient with her fans!

So needless to say, I was a very very happy guy!

WOW :eek:

mamno_MARYFAN
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Wow...great story...I'm so jealous of yaa!!!!;)

But I'm really very pleased to see how polite and considerate Mary is towards everybody...that's why I love her so much...:hearts:

Go Mary!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Mark Spruce
Aug 9th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Mary is just the best. She is always so considerate to her fans and she appriciates us so much.

regards

Mark