PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon video 2004

sharapovarulz1
Jul 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows if the wimbledon 2004 video has come out yet online or in the shops?
It shows all the highlights from wimbledon 2004!
If anyone knows of anywhere i can get it i would be very greatful! :worship:

circuit77
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:17 AM
Download it from eMule :)

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 31st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Download it from eMule :)

what?

Alone2Gether
Jul 31st, 2004, 12:46 PM
I have the whole match of the wimbledon 2004 but the language was in japanese. :(

Frank
Jul 31st, 2004, 02:13 PM
Who cares about the commentary???

Alone2Gether
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM
Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows if the wimbledon 2004 video has come out yet online or in the shops?
It shows all the highlights from wimbledon 2004!
If anyone knows of anywhere i can get it i would be very greatful! :worship:

here ya go...Wimbledon Video 2004 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002HOD9K/qid=1091370575/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-5173175-9156168?v=glance&s=dvd)

sharapovarulz1
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
here ya go...Wimbledon Video 2004 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002HOD9K/qid=1091370575/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-5173175-9156168?v=glance&s=dvd)

Thank you so much :worship: you have been a big help alone2gether :clap2:

Alone2Gether
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
glab to help a fellow maria fan.

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Its a shame that DVD is a region 1 (US and Canada only).
Are there any available for other regions ie Australia??

Cheers,
ils

Frank
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Its a shame that DVD is a region 1 (US and Canada only).
Are there any available for other regions ie Australia??

Cheers,
ils Get a region free dvd player. Also, there is a way to play any kind of region on your computer...But since that's off-topic....PM me if you want more information...

Ivan C
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Get a region free dvd player. Also, there is a way to play any kind of region on your computer...But since that's off-topic....PM me if you want more information...

Yeah I got one from amazon for £30 inc delivery. SO cheap. VERY good quality as well.

sharapovarulz1
Aug 1st, 2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah I got one from amazon for £30 inc delivery. SO cheap. VERY good quality as well.

Thats quite a good deal! :)

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM
Get a region free dvd player. Also, there is a way to play any kind of region on your computer...But since that's off-topic....PM me if you want more information...
Thanks Knerf, I thought that was the case, just wasnt sure. :)

lakan kildap
Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
I don't know. At 50-plus minutes, I don't know what it will show. Of course, having it on DVD is really nice.

Region free DVD players are really cheap in Asia, they go with brand names NextBase, Orange, APEX, Skyworth, etc. They play anything (in the DVD-video format). They play dirty (smudges and scratches) rental disks without coughing, and they basically ignore region coding.

altemix
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM
I badly want to get all Maria's match videous from Wimbledon because I hadn't possibility to record those. Where I can get those videous? Please help!

Andy Mac
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
video's****** and just look in amazon or a video store..lol it should be there right?

nouf
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
i have all videos of maria wimbledon quality dvd! mpeg 2

:-)

Nouf production!

Andy Mac
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
wen i said store i ment nouf lolhehe..nouf is your man

Alone2Gether
Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
where can we get the matches nouf??

sharapovarulz1
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Yeh i want to know where to get the matches from aswell!

Andy Mac
Aug 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
yea same!

Edward.
Aug 6th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I dunno if i would want to watch ALL her matches through again! :unsure:

But I saw them all on TV anyway :p

Alone2Gether
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:07 PM
i have all videos of maria wimbledon quality dvd! mpeg 2

:-)

Nouf production!

we're desperate of those videos!!!

Andy Mac
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM
lol sounds good eh?

lakan kildap
Aug 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM
The 2004 Wimbledon video will be released 8-31-04. Running time 52 minutes.

Here's a page from DVD Empire (I am not a shareholder, creditor or official in any capacity, I'm not even in the same country as they are)

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000500525077&searchID=138402&item_id=613633

Andy Mac
Aug 11th, 2004, 03:04 AM
thanks!

sharapovarulz1
Aug 17th, 2004, 11:42 AM
The 2004 Wimbledon video will be released 8-31-04. Running time 52 minutes.

Here's a page from DVD Empire (I am not a shareholder, creditor or official in any capacity, I'm not even in the same country as they are)

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000500525077&searchID=138402&item_id=613633

Cheers for letting us know lakan kildap u wer a big help!!! :worship:

lakan kildap
Aug 18th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Cheers for letting us know lakan kildap u wer a big help!!! :worship:

now I'm confused. DVD empire just announced release date will be moved to Sept. 21. Amazon still lists it at Aug. 31, though, so it could be a simple matter of Amazon getting the earlier batch. It's also cheaper by $2 at Amazon.

that's for the US market, of course, release dates in other parts of the world could be earlier.

Edward.
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM
now I'm confused. DVD empire just announced release date will be moved to Sept. 21. Amazon still lists it at Aug. 31, though, so it could be a simple matter of Amazon getting the earlier batch. It's also cheaper by $2 at Amazon.

that's for the US market, of course, release dates in other parts of the world could be earlier.

I would buy the DVD (I don't mind importing the DVD as my DVD player is multi region) but the Star Wars Trilogy DVD is out on September 21st too...and I have already pre ordered it. ;)

Dan23
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I would buy the DVD (I don't mind importing the DVD as my DVD player is multi region) but the Star Wars Trilogy DVD is out on September 21st too...and I have already pre ordered it. ;)
Priorities Eddy....... :lol:
You could pre-order both :)

I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago and its ETA is mid September.

Edward.
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Priorities Eddy....... :lol:
You could pre-order both :)

I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago and its ETA is mid September.

I can't pre order both because I don't have enough (I've been spending an awful lot recently on Arsenal Shirts, PS2 Games etc.)

I've been waiting for the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset for 3 years now, so the Wimbledon DVD will have to wait. :)

sharapovarulz1
Aug 18th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I cant believe there moving the wimbledon video to september ive waited long enough!!!

lakan kildap
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:50 AM
I cant believe there moving the wimbledon video to september ive waited long enough!!!

don't get too mad. for example, Amazon, still lists it at 8-31-04

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002HOD9K/qid=1092966234/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/102-7518817-9796133?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

while you're on Amazon, you might want to review the item too, even though it's unreleased. there are a lot of reviews already in.

I do that sometimes, reviewing a DVD when in fact I was just reviewing the movie I saw on the cinema house. It's always the "movie" (main feature) I review, anyway, I've never really warmed up to the "supplements, bonus features" of DVDs.

sharapovarulz1
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Cheers for letting me know wot to do lakan kildap!!!!

lakan kildap
Aug 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM
just did some double checking today August 30, and it is Sept 21 release date for both Amazon and DVD Empire. what a bummer.

sorry to give this thread an unnecessary bump, but I just had to tell those who may have ordered or want to order.

Dan23
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks Lakan, saved me looking it up :yeah:
Another 3 weeks to wait :yawn: :(

Andy Mac
Aug 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM
dan u orederd teh wimby dvd?

sharapovarulz1
Aug 30th, 2004, 10:26 PM
3 wks dats gonna kill me!!!!!!!!!!

taka666
Sep 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM
where to download from? nouf can send it to me?

Edward.
Sep 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
where to download from? nouf can send it to me?

Its a DVD.

lakan kildap
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM
sorry to bump this thread (again), but have anyone received their DVDs yet? How is it?

unfortunately for me, my online seller decided to go out of stock right on shipment date, and now I had to cancel and order from another seller. Two more weeks waiting for me :sad:

Dan23
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:17 AM
I havent got mine yet either... :mad: :armed:
Delivery date is still listed as Sept 16 - 23 but it hasnt even been shipped yet... :tape:

lakan kildap
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I didn't want to start another thread, so I thought I'd just bump this one.

I received my copy of the Wimbledon 2004 DVD today, and barring an act of whatever it is I call God (can't afford to offend anyone's religious sensitivity) or utter foolishness on my part, I should be able to watch it tonight, and be able to come up with a quick report tomorrow.

I also ordered the 1980 and 1981 men's finals matches between Borg and McEnroe, but those will have to be viewed at a later time as they are more than 200 minutes long each.

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Good to hear you finally got it Lakan...:D
Mine should be here damn soon, this week I'd expect..

Josh B.
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I would like to get it but i still need to pay my dad £60 :sad:

Dan23
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM
:woohoo:
w00t!!
Got it today :D
Havent had a chance to watch the whole thing yet but ive watched some of the parts with Maria and so far its good..

Josh B.
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Congratulations Dan

Hope you enjoy watching the video :)

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Have fun. ;)

Dan23
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Also good news for anyone worried about the region...the DVD is actually multi-region and not just for US/Canada as they on the website so there shouldnt be any problems playing it anywhere..:)

Andy Mac
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:19 AM
nice one danny boy! now..get me plane tickets so i can come over and watch it

lakan kildap
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:20 AM
OK, first to some specifications:
-the movie is 52 minutes long, give or take a few seconds
-it's in anamorphic widescreen
-there are no Tornado Cam shots

Some subjective marks
-the audio was quite good and clean
-picture quality, as expected of modern videos/films, was really good

For those in the Mariawatch brigade, LOL, here are the Maria moments, not all of them eye candy, since Maria isn't always shown:
-around 6:03, she gets briefly mentioned, this was during the segment where the Russian players and their [former] President were shown going out of the tournament, Dementieva and Kuznetsova in the 1R and Myskina in the 2R. The 3 players are shown in their agony, and also Boris Yeltsin, "the architect of the Russian tennis machine" (the video's own words), in the stands. "Maria Sharapova" is briefly mentioned, but curiously, no pictures. Damn!

-at the 16th minute, Maria is mentioned again as the one attracting the photographers (camera shows those photogs with their long lenses). She's first shown as a long shadow in the grass, serving, "tall, blonde, beautiful, a photographer's dream", then appears very briefly, walking away from the net after a point, glowing in the low afternoon English sun, in what looks like footage from the 1R or 2R match. Doesn't look like the Hantuchova match to me, since that was on Centre Court, but I could be wrong.

-21st minute, she appears again, this time for the QF match against Ai. This lasts about two minutes (finally!!!!!). They introduce that segment with a background of her 2003 results as a wild card, and that now, she's a seeded player. The first part of course, was when she was losing to Sugiyama and she was shown muttering something after getting broken. Then the turn around, the fightback, showing some closely cropped side-of-the-court-camera shots of her reacting, retrieving, moving side to side, wearing down Sugiyama. In a tight rally, she suddenly pulls off a lob on Sugiyama, absolutely magnificent stuff. Then full court coverage, there was that severe angle crosscourt winner she hit on the run, and she was shaking her head in disbelief (the ball may have been out, I don't know). Finally, that girlish celebration at the end, looking at the heavens, then shaking her shoulders as she runs to the net, and the narrator goes on to say that the crowds have found their new hero in "an elegant, beautiful young Russian."

-32nd minute, she appears for the semifinal match, and here, I cannot help but notice Maria while she and Lindsay were chatting with the chair umpire during the coin toss, just before the warmumps. She was casting Lindsay her "evil eye". Maria was talking to the ump when this happened, it appears to me like she was trying to make eye contact with Lindsay for whatever purpose that serves. Saying "Hi", perhaps, after all, they're not exactly strangers to one another and have played doubles in exhibition matches. Or maybe trying to stare Lindsay down. But it's still unnerving. It happens very suddenly, a sharp sideways glance that lasts only a second, then disappears. A few seconds later, she does it again, and I was chuckling and was almost expecting Maria to start turning her head, breathe green smoke and go "Exorcist" on Lindsay. OK, enough of that for now.
The semi, of course, is what we already know, an epic in 3 parts. Lindsay gets going early, the rain break comes, and Maria comes back to win the 2nd and run away with the third. Some more zoomed in (from the side camera again), upper body shots of Maria hitting those hellacious backhands, then a wider shot showing the full court, and Maria and Lindsay in a fantastic duel of backhands from the deuce court. Knowing they've both been trained by Lansdorp, the similarity of their shots is apparent, and yet as the match wore on, Maria's shots were crisper and had more sting to them. Some more winners, then match point, with Maria totally shocked that she's in the final. Then those celebratory kisses to the crowd.

(OK, that "evil eye" sideways glance. I've seen that before, not on this DVD, but during the trophy ceremony when Maria and Serena were standing together with their trophies for the cameras. Maria takes this split second glance at Serena who was on her left, and it was the same thing. I don't think she means anyone ill, but it's just how the glance registers in the minds of those who notice it. In Tagalog and other Filipino languages, we call it "irap". I don't know the precise translation. I don't know if it's intentional on Maria's part.)

The higher definition of DVD allows us who don't have hi-def TV broadcast to see details we otherwise don't see on ordinary NTSC or PAL TV's. Maria's dress is actually an air-breathing mesh at the middle to keep her cool (it appeared just plain white to me back in June-July, on cable TV, NTSC signal). Of course, I already knew this from still pictures. And when she was serving to Lindsay, the upper body shot of her reveals her - how do I say this - ribcage "printing" through the dress. Yes, Maria is that slender, although those broad, well-toned shoulders and her famously great appetite for dessert ("anything") indicates she has no intention to become anorexic anytime soon.

-40th minute, the Final. The people who put together this video were kind to Serena IMO, as they did not include the part where she hits the dirt, or the one where she gets smacked in the nose. Well, maybe there was no need, after all, it was clear from Serena's facial expression and gestures that she was beat. Some commentaries from Johnny Mac, too. The match highlights, including post match trophy presentation and interview, last until the 44:56 mark. There was a shortened shot of the hug with dad (it's standard now, Johnny Mac quips), and the naughty smile she flashes as she first shows the cellphone to the crowd before attempting to place the call to Mom. Strangely, though, they did not show the part where she doesn't get a signal.

And that was the end of Mariawatch, she doesn't appear again until the end credits where she's shown holding the trophy over her head.

There was a segment about plans to introduce a roof to Wimbledon's bigger courts, and also why it's not so simple to do. Their dilemma: How do you prevent the people and most importantly, the effing GRASS, from sweating? Obviously, an airconditioning system should be included in the plan.

Wimbledon 2004 (the actual event) of course, wasn't just about Maria, but when you look at the current "Wimbledon Collection" of DVD titles, you cannot help but think she "inspired" this series. I don't know if there have been Wimbledon videos on VHS before, but the current DVD lineup consists of 1) the 2004 film, plus four retro titles: the 2) 1980 and 3) 1981 Borg-McEnroe finals, a 4) Borg "legends" tribute and a 5) McEnroe "legends" tribute. That's it, 5 titles, and only 2004 presented as a tournament, not even one of the Williams sisters championship years, which would have appealed to American buyers. So I think Maria triggered this series. If I'm correct (I'm reaching, I know), then that brings me to my COMPLAINTS about this DVD.

-no Tornado Cam shots (probably licensing problem)
-too short, and as a result, not enough Maria (hey, I'm the one buying the DVD, I can complain). Granted, this is a "highlights" movie, like those annual NBA championship videos, but 52 minutes is too short. An additional 10 more minutes of Maria wouldn't have hurt, and it's still a short movie. 20 minutes would have been better. Why am I complaining about length? Because the 1980-81 Borg-Mc matches were full length match coverages, 240 and 212(?) minutes each. A 70-80 minute 2004 video would have been better. Why?
-Because there's just too much Tim Henman, and those minutes given to groundskeepers and bar/restaurant/shop/radio booth people who were obviously "acting", pretending they were on reality TV, talking about the matches, about Tim (what else?). Considering they only have 52 minutes, they could either have cut those out, or added minutes to the overall movie.
-not enough extras. The extras were 5 highlights of previous championships, plus one semifinal. There were two Martina-Chrissy matches, Sampras-Rafter (Y2000), Goran-Rafter, and finally, a Justine-Capriati semifinal. No Graf-Arantxa, no Graf-Seles, no Agassi-Goran, no Connors, no Becker, for crying out loud, not even one of his duels with Edberg. Becker maybe lousy on the broadcast booth, but he was an electrifying player on the court, and he does look like Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter movies.

Is it a "value" buy? Not quite at $22 (current price), and hard to justify to one's parents even at the original $17 price by Amazon. But would I rather NOT have it? Hmm, that's not gonna happen. Not in this life.

Dan23
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Nice report there Lakan, i agree with you on most points, though I havent seen all of it yet.
I have a bit of a problem with the close up camera angles though....we miss out on seeing the damn good shots that Maria played and where they land..
Especially that massive pt in the final (the grunting contest) where Masha plays that amazing angled forehand from the baseline then whips the return back into mid court for Serena to gently flick back before Maria absolutely hammers the massive forehand into the corner...but they show a close up instead of the shot :sobbing:

-Because there's just too much Tim Henman, and those minutes given to groundskeepers and bar/restaurant/shop/radio booth people who were obviously "acting", pretending they were on reality TV, talking about the matches, about Tim (what else?). Considering they only have 52 minutes, they could either have cut those out, or added minutes to the overall movie.Yeah when I saw those actors, I was like WTF?? :cool:
The DVD definitely could be longer...

lakan kildap
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Nice report there Lakan, i agree with you on most points, though I havent seen all of it yet.
I have a bit of a problem with the close up camera angles though....we miss out on seeing the damn good shots that Maria played and where they land..
Especially that massive pt in the final (the grunting contest) where Masha plays that amazing angled forehand from the baseline then whips the return back into mid court for Serena to gently flick back before Maria absolutely hammers the massive forehand into the corner...but they show a close up instead of the shot :sobbing:

Yeah when I saw those actors, I was like WTF?? :cool:
The DVD definitely could be longer...

Agree about the close up shots. Some strange selection of POV indeed. During the Lindsay match, the DVD shows Maria rushing to her backhand side to retrieve the ball, and she doesn't swing the racquet. Only her upper body is visible, we don't see the ball, her feet or the lines. Of course, the audio says "out!" or something, but without seeing the ball or without that call, we would have no idea what happened, whether Lindsay made an error or hit a winner. Good for us Maria likes pumping her fist.

OTOH, those crops/zooms from Maria's right side do show her strokes in a totally new (at least for me) and refreshing light. Her backhand, for example, almost looks like a boxer's left straight to semi-hook. Not a jab, but a power punch, loaded up from the back and unleashed like a massive coiled spring. It doesn't follow the same graceful arc as her forehand, but it is powerful.

Frank
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the report! ;)

I think I'm not going to buy it.

Josh B.
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Why not Frank

Frank
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Because there is no Maria footage on it I haven't seen yet. I would have bought it for sure if there was Tornado cam footage on it. This DVD just doesn't seem worth it's money. I'd rather spend it on No Strings.

Josh B.
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Good point mate.

I dont have no money yet but i will probably get it when i pay back me dad for my phone.

Frank
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM
It's just that you can spend your money only once. I'll probably fast forward this DVD to the Maria parts and throw it in some dusty corner. No Strings is worth it's money much more.

Dan23
Oct 6th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Its only 22 bucks Franky G..whats that...4 beers?? :p :)
Its got some much different footage of Maria than we're used to and to actually have the footage of the match points from each final plus Masha lifting the dish on DVD is good - theres a few bits of an interview too...I think its was worth it but hey, its your call ;)
No Strings on the other hand...:D

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Nah. Not worth it. I'm not so desperate to buy every second of Maria footage I don't have. Now if they would put No Strings on DVD, that would be a different story. :)

lakan kildap
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:48 AM
I bought it, because...well, I chose this hobby, and although I'm not exactly swimming in cash, I knew going in (back in '99) how much this hobby costs.

But most importantly, I bought it, because...

SHE will never be like this again.

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I'll wait till I find it in a discount bin. :p

I have heaps of, well, "semi-rare" stuff to sell on ebay...So maybe that'll change things a bit...:)