PDA

View Full Version : Will you be surprised if Nastya becomes #1?

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I dont doubt her ability to beat anyone in the tour.
HOWEVER, comparing to other players in the top 5, she is the most inconsistent player among them. She does have a chance to become #1 if she just reaches final here and in Montreal, but are you going to be surprised and think that she is undeserving?

VivalaSeles
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM
After the Hingis and Kimmie controversies, I still maintain my answer. If you get there, you deserve it. Everyone knows the rules. Everyone knows what to do to get there. The ones who do get there deserve all the kudos.

fammmmedspin
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Any number 1 for the next few months is only going to have about 4000 points which means that all of them would be somewhat inconsistent and/or have got there by winning tournaments where they gained relatively few quality points because the top 10 were absent. If Myskina gets it her competition will be behind her because she has chalked up a few more wins that they couldn't and because she took a GS opportunity they failed to respond to. Myskina probably beats both her main competitors on who she has beaten in the last 12 months and Lindsay I think is only ahead of her at present because she has two LA sets of points in her ranking. If she can get the points and Momo and Lindsay can't its difficult to see how she couldn't deserve the ranking. its not as if anyone else has any claim unless you arbitrarily give the title to the once great, the too sick to play great or the about to be great.

AjdeNate!
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Not surprised. Can't wait for it to happen. She's won a Slam and other titles. I mean what more do we want in a #1, right?

Kart
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:47 PM
After the Hingis and Kimmie controversies, I still maintain my answer. If you get there, you deserve it. Everyone knows the rules. Everyone knows what to do to get there. The ones who do get there deserve all the kudos. :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: :worship:

Spunky83
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:37 PM
And here we go again...DESERVE...is a word that should be banned from this board especially in connection with the name Myskina. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys?

She gained those points, she won several matches and thatīs it, oh and a Grand Slam...it isnīt her fault that Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena werenīt/arenīt able to play for such a long time.

Get over it! I guess this hate-thing is just the beginning, itīs gonna be worse if Myskina really becomes number one...

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Not surprised. Can't wait for it to happen. She's won a Slam and other titles. I mean what more do we want in a #1, right?
someone who beats other top players consistently. Myskina won't and probably never will. She has a terrible serve, and she hasn't any weapons to hurt Serena, Venus, Juju, Kimmie, or Sharapova (once this one matures a bit.)

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:37 PM
But still, I like her alot as a person, so if she has a stint at no. 1, it won't be the end of the world. She deserves it more than Mauresmo, that is for sure.

foreva lindsay
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM
she wont be number one, momo or lindsay will ;) lindsay is far more deserving... 5 titles this year, 2 of them back to back :bowdown:

fammmmedspin
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:40 PM
someone who beats other top players consistently. Myskina won't and probably never will. She has a terrible serve, and she hasn't any weapons to hurt Serena, Venus, Juju, Kimmie, or Sharapova (once this one matures a bit.)
:eek: Well as she has wins in her ranking over 4 of those people that is pretty inexplicable for someone with no weapons. I don't know where these players who beat players consistently are either as no one playing has more than 4000 points. It certainly isn't Serena, Venus, Momo or Jennifer. It might be Lindsay though she hasn't been clocking up top 10 wins yet.

tenn_ace
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM
the poll is misleading... or doesn't include all the options. e.g., I wouldn't be surprised and I think she did work hard on it and she is worth it.

volta
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:18 PM
i donīt think that she deserves and has that "status" to be called #1 but if she gets there thatīs because she worked for it and so we have no choice unless call her #1

Crazy_Fool
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:21 PM
And here we go again...DESERVE...is a word that should be banned from this board especially in connection with the name Myskina. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys?

She gained those points, she won several matches and thatīs it, oh and a Grand Slam...it isnīt her fault that Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena werenīt/arenīt able to play for such a long time.

Get over it! I guess this hate-thing is just the beginning, itīs gonna be worse if Myskina really becomes number one...
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

peanuts
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Any number 1 for the next few months is only going to have about 4000 points which means that all of them would be somewhat inconsistent and/or have got there by winning tournaments where they gained relatively few quality points because the top 10 were absent. If Myskina gets it her competition will be behind her because she has chalked up a few more wins that they couldn't and because she took a GS opportunity they failed to respond to. Myskina probably beats both her main competitors on who she has beaten in the last 12 months and Lindsay I think is only ahead of her at present because she has two LA sets of points in her ranking. If she can get the points and Momo and Lindsay can't its difficult to see how she couldn't deserve the ranking. its not as if anyone else has any claim unless you arbitrarily give the title to the once great, the too sick to play great or the about to be great.
love that line :worship: :worship: and yeah i do think she deserves the no.1 ranking...give myskina a break people...some people here make it sound like its a crime for her to be no.1...she played the game, won tournaments and a GS to boot...given her latest results she certainly deserved it...don't take it out on her just because your favorite player is not the no.1...if you want your favorite to be the no.1 then cheer and hope for them...its the best that you can do instead of bashing other players coz its not gonna change anything believe me ;) :)

Leo_DFP
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:06 AM
she wont be number one, momo or lindsay will ;) lindsay is far more deserving... 5 titles this year, 2 of them back to back :bowdown:
4 titles, actually ;) And a Slam is a Slam. Let's not kid ourselves; Lindsay would love to own Nastya's 2004 French title.

I've always thought a true #1 should have a Major title to their name in the past 52 weekings, but if those who win the Majors aren't consistent enough in the other tournaments and don't have good enough results to secure the #1 ranking, then it's not a non-Slam winner's fault if they are consistent enough to accumulate the points necessary for a top position. So if Davenport or Mauresmo get to #1 this year without a Slam, then props to them anyway.

rada
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:45 AM
not at all i know she can do it a maybe one day she will.....there all out there playing to be the best on tour !!!!

Dave B
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:55 AM
People are also forgetting that number one is number one over the past 52 weeks. Myskina rocked indoors. She ended Justine's 5 million match winning streak, won a Tier 1 title, and clocked wins over Momo and Kim as well. Put that together with the GS and other results she has had this year, and I think it is clear that it wouldn't be surprising at all if she reached number 1 because she would deserve it.

Nastyafan
Jul 29th, 2004, 03:21 AM
someone who beats other top players consistently. Myskina won't and probably never will. She has a terrible serve, and she hasn't any weapons to hurt Serena, Venus, Juju, Kimmie, or Sharapova (once this one matures a bit.)She has beaten all them except Serena "without any weapons". And as there isn't a player now "who beats other top players consistently" maybe #1 should be left vacant:confused:

I won't be surprised, I will be very very very happy:worship: :bounce: :yippee: :aparty: :banana:

BTW the question and the answers aren't asked correct

thelittlestelf
Jul 29th, 2004, 03:29 AM
She works very hard and I do think she deserves it, but I still would be a little surprised.

mboyle
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:08 AM
:eek: Well as she has wins in her ranking over 4 of those people that is pretty inexplicable for someone with no weapons. I don't know where these players who beat players consistently are either as no one playing has more than 4000 points. It certainly isn't Serena, Venus, Momo or Jennifer. It might be Lindsay though she hasn't been clocking up top 10 wins yet.
No, Hingis made a hall-of-fame career beating players with far bigger/better weapons than herself. I was just stating that I doubt Myskina will reach/stay at no. 1 because, whenever she steps on court vs. most top 50 players, the match is in her opponent's hands. Now she can encourage them to make errors by retrieving well (which she does,) variegating her shot selection, especially including short angles and slices (which she does,) and staying mentally tough and physically fit (which she does.) I don't mind Myskina as much as I used to, but I just don't think she is the best player in the world.

Gogo123
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:36 AM
I dont think she would not be deserving but i would be surprised to see her #1 with lindsay's current form

iloveazza
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:42 AM
This is a dumbass poll. Where's the option of "No, but she will thoroughly deserve it"?
How come not being surprised automacially means not thinking she doesn't deserve it? I'm more surprised at the stupidity of the screwed up poll.

Vass22
Jul 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I'll be surprized even though I'm expecting and waiting for it.

Sharapower
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Personally, I won't be that surprised : winning a GS gives confidence and confidence provides consistency, so Anastasia has got chances to reach the spot if JHH does not defend her USO title.

CJK
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:39 PM
6-1 6-2 over Chanda, convincingly, which could convince me she just might do it:).

Nastya is now has 3734 with all the points dropped off before Olympics. 4515 points is her goal to overtake the #1 position. If Nastya wins this event, she will have around 4000 points.
So 500 more points to make up in Sopot and Montreal. If she wins Sopot (~200), she only needs to win around 300 to make up in Montreal, she could do it with a final.
Let's see how it goes:).

Spunky83
Jul 29th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Surpise!!! Normally I donīt have a good feeling when Nastya plays a tourney (Iīm just too pessemistic), but this time I am pretty sure that she can at least make it to the final, so yeah...no, no surprise at all;)