PDA

View Full Version : Maria eases through the 2nd round at Acura 6-3 6-3

Dan23
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Very good start for Maria at the Acura Classic with a straight sets defeat of Lilia Osterloh 6-3 6-3

Hard to analyse really without any video or stats!

Go Maria :yeah:

Jarrett
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM
how is 6-3 6-3 an "ease" against a player out of the top 200 for a top 10 player? ;) j/k

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM
no, not j/k. Maria obviously sucked it up big time tonight.

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Isn't it wonderful how I treat my faves?;) :o

Dan23
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:39 AM
how is 6-3 6-3 an "ease" against a player out of the top 200 for a top 10 player? ;) j/k
See the other thread on this game regarding the recent form of Osterloh.

Doc
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Great first match on the hard courts Masha!

You done good. :D

backhanddtl4
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:42 AM
no, not j/k. Maria obviously sucked it up big time tonight.

Yes, I love it!

Dan23
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:44 AM
By easing through I wasnt saying she did it "easy", although she wasnt overly troubled.
I was saying she eased her way through to the next round, perhaps not the best choice of words, when there are such critical posters around :rolleyes:

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM
By easing through I wasnt saying she did it "easy", although she wasnt overly troubled.
I was saying she eased her way through to the next round, perhaps not the best choice of words, when there are such critical posters around :rolleyes:
I don't think he was being critical, judging by his "j/k" and I certainly wasn't being critical of you, but of Maria and her lack of form. I am spewing hatred right now, pardon me.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Match Coverage (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=3878510#post3878510)

Dan23
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:00 AM
I don't think he was being critical, judging by his "j/k" and I certainly wasn't being critical of you, but of Maria and her lack of form. I am spewing hatred right now, pardon me.
Yep no problems. :)
But I dont think Maria is lacking form, it certainly wasnt the worst performance by a Top 10 player so far.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Yep no problems. :)
But I dont think Maria is lacking form, it certainly wasnt the worst performance by a Top 10 player so far.

Perhaps... she is still tired....

Atrixo
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Didn't get to watch the match, I only followed it with live scoring; but, it seemed Maria struggled at certain points. Even though the score was quite favourable (6-3, 6-3), I think Osterloh --- coming into the match quite hot --- put up a decent fight. Maria has had an almost 3 week layoff (except for WTT), and it can be expected that she would be kinda rusty coming in. :)

Good match by Maria though, overall! :yeah:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Maria had a bad day today, but Maria is still better...

SharapovaFan16
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM
if u watched live scoring how can u tell she struggled? u can't updates were somtimes behind what r u talkn about?

Atrixo
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:35 AM
if u watched live scoring how can u tell she struggled? u can't updates were somtimes behind what r u talkn about?

Notice how I said, "seemed like" she struggled? I said I was watching it on live score, obviously my perception of the match might be off. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

LindsayRocks89
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM
nice win princess masha ;) good luck in the next round :bounce:

Dan23
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Match report:
Wimbledon Champion Shines Brightly in Acura Classic Debut

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova dazzled a capacity crowd of over 6,500 at the Acura Classic as she blasted her way past American qualifier Lilia Osterloh, 6-3, 6-3, in a Tuesday night match at the La Costa Resort and Spa.

Playing in her first tournament since winning Wimbledon, the sixth-seeded Russian used an early service break on her way to winning the first set, 6-3 as the crowd was still settling in on Stadium Court.

In the second set, Sharapova took a 4-1 lead and looked on her way to a routine victory.

Osterloh had different thoughts as she took advantage of two double faults by Sharapova to break serve.

The American got to 3-4 after holding serve.

In the eighth game of the second set, Sharapova got through a 12-point game and even though she committed two more double faults, the Russian was able to hold serve for a 5-3 lead.

Osterloh then served to stay in the match, but the match was as good as over as Sharapova tuned-up her return game and broke at love. On match point, she slammed a forehand winner down the line to the delight of the crowd.

Following her victory, Sharapova was asked about playing in front of the large crowd. “It was exciting. As long as I can bring the WTA Tour to a higher level and for people to enjoy the tennis and especially for the kids…it’s good to go out there and show your tennis.”
-Acuraclassic.com

SJW
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:13 AM
nicely done maria, good comeback :)

ghosts
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM
nicely done maria, good comeback :)
:p