PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Sharapova to play in Tier IV Hansol Korea Open!

~SunFlower~
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:30 AM
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2004072808038

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wimbledon Champion Sharapova Coming to Seoul in September

JULY 27, 2004 22:04
by Jong-Seok Kim (kjs0123@donga.com)

Wimbledon Champion Maria Sharapova (17, Russia) will be visiting Korea for the first time this year.

She will be participating in the country’s first Women’s Professional Tennis Association (WTA) Tour, the Hansol Korea Open Championships, opening at the Seoul Olympic Park tennis court on September 27.

The title sponsor Hansol Group announced at a press conference on July 27, “Sharapova’s participation is confirmed, and we have acquired the final approval from the WTA Tour.”

Sharapova, who has become popular enough to be ranked first on internet search rankings among Web users, will be holding a tennis clinic for junior players, an autograph session, and a professional-amateur tournament, as well as her participation in the championships.

The cost to invite Sharapova, who ranks eighth worldwide, was not exposed but is known to be close to $200,000, greatly exceeding the total prize money of the event ($140,000). :eek: Besides, she will be receiving the red carpet treatment, with three first-class round-trip tickets, a suite room at a special-class hotel, an exclusive limousine, and bodyguards.

However, the sponsoring side is hardly showing reluctance at all of this cost. It is expected that the stature of the tournament, which is rated a level-four WTA tour event, will be greatly enhanced and that the TV relay broadcast cost will bring a profit worth close to 200 million won. Side profits from sub-sponsors and equipping publicity booths for companies will also be profitable. Admission fees will be collected, somewhat different from former tournaments held in Korea, which may help the event to be a success as well.

With her win at Wimbledon and her striking maximum price, Sharapova had turned down the invitation to this tournament, but her schedule for tournaments in China and Japan, which will be held right before and after the Hansol Open Championships, were a favorable influence on her final decision to attend. Sharapova told of her wish to visit Korea someday after eating kalbi (Korean Barbecue) with Director Ju Won-hong and Lee Hyeong-taek of Samsung Securities in Los Angeles last year.

Sharapova was born in Siberia and first held a tennis racket at the age of four. She left to attend a tennis academy in the U.S. at the age of seven and won her first major championship title 10 years later. She is lovely and fit enough to be a model with blonde hair, a weight of 59 kilograms, and a height of 183cm.

Meanwhile, Sharapova will return to the tour for the first time at the Acura Classic, which opens this week after Wimbledon.

Why would she want to play in lower Tier IV level tournament?? :cool:

RYNJ
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM
maybe she just wants to visit the country

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Cool, fine with me if she wants to play Asia, more fun for Asians, and more money for her lol:).
Dont know if she is flying straight to Filderstadt though, but she probably doesnt have a license yet anyways, so, she probably wont play.
But she cant skip Russian Open right?:).

Berlin_Calling
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Masha playing in Korea :worship::worship:

pcrtennis
Why is she playing here? Honestly, it just seems like she wants to enter these smaller tournaments so she can have a bunch of tourney wins :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . She is such a diva :o :rolleyes: :o .

However, I am glad that Korean tennis is trying to get a more high profile in Women's pro-tennis...it's about time! :hearts: :wavey: :worship: :bounce:

mboyle
OMG a tier three in Tokyo and a tier four in Korea. Maria:rolleyes: . I love ya baby, but worry about your ranking, not your pocketbook.

ys
Must be some serious appearance fee in action.

clonesheep
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM
It's all about money, I guess. Beside, the tournament is scheduled between the Tokyo and China ones (both Sharapova will play) so it makes sense for her to stay in Asia in between. And Korea is a good market to explore for potential advertisers. (Samsung was mentioned in the article.)

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Must be some serious appearance fee in action.
A cool 200 grand:o

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM
It's all about money, I guess. Beside, the tournament is scheduled between the Tokyo and China ones (both Sharapova will play)
Why is she even playing Tokyo over Moscow?:rolleyes: Ridiculous. She is playing like she doesn't even belong in the top 5 yet. She is playing like she is ranked 30 still. Whatever...

goldenlox
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM
This is about Max. He gets under the table money, that's not taxed. Because he can deliver Maria.
Maria had better show up in Moscow.

pcrtennis
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:42 AM
She does it all for the money, because she has sponsership deals in japan. It really makes it hard for you to cheer for her when she makes all these decisions for money and not to improve and get her ranking up.

ys
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Why is she even playing Tokyo over Moscow?:rolleyes: Ridiculous.
Not this year. Tokyo and Moscow are different weeks.

esquímaux
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM
A cool 200 grand:o
:lick: d-lish :drool:

~SunFlower~
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Why is she even playing Tokyo over Moscow?...

She has to defend at least one of her 2003 titles this year. She chose Japan over Quebec City. That's part of the WTA rules. If she is going to play in Moscow, that means she will be playing 4 straight weeks after US Open (Beijing CHN, Seoul KOR, Tokyo JPN and Moscow RUS) :eek:

pcrtennis
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:51 AM
You have to defend one of your titles? Really?

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Why is she even playing Tokyo over Moscow?:rolleyes: Ridiculous. She is playing like she doesn't even belong in the top 5 yet. She is playing like she is ranked 30 still. Whatever...
she doesn't belong in the top 5 yet.

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:52 AM
She has to defend at least one of her 2003 titles this year. She chose Japan over Quebec City. That's part of the WTA rules. If she is going to play in Moscow, that means she will be playing 4 straight weeks after US Open (Beijing CHN, Seoul KOR, Tokyo JPN and Moscow RUS) :eek:
the rule says "when possible", which means is not really a rule, rather a guide.

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:53 AM
She does it all for the money, because she has sponsership deals in japan. It really makes it hard for you to cheer for her when she makes all these decisions for money and not to improve and get her ranking up.
I fully agree.

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:53 AM
she doesn't belong in the top 5 yet.
Yes she absolutely does. 1. Serena 2. JHH 3. Maria Sharapova

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:55 AM
That's right, she hsa to make her most efforts to defend. But are you sure she is playing Moscow? she skipped it last year to play Tokyo, what's stopping her from doing it again:).

The cost to invite Sharapova, who ranks eighth worldwide, was not exposed but is known to be close to $200,000, greatly exceeding the total prize money of the event ($140,000). Besides, she will be receiving the red carpet treatment, with three first-class round-trip tickets, a suite room at a special-class hotel, an exclusive limousine, and bodyguards.

lol, this just cracks me up, exceeding total prize money:).
I wonder what her schedule will be next year though, since she might as win Tokyo and Seoul given the filed:). Like I said, Maria is the best thing that's ever happened to the world of tennis. She'll be the ambassator for tennis:).

clonesheep
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:59 AM

There's a reason that she plays Tokyo: She is the defending champion. In fact, Tokyo was the first tournament she ever won. (I suspect that last year Maria skipped Moscow in favor of Tokyo because the latter is easier to win. Back then, she just wanted to win a tournament to silence the Anna comparison.)

bubble
This is great news for me!
I just happen to be planning for a visit to Seoul during Sept. In fact I was planning to leave Seoul on 25th Sept.
Maybe I will extend my trip for one more week to watch Maria :) :)

Thanks Sharky for the great new! :)

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Maria has a lot of fans from Asia... I think it will be cool for her to show up over there!!!

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:01 AM
I wonder what her schedule will be next year though, since she might as win Tokyo and Seoul given the filed:). .
The only way Maria will lose in either tournament is if she tanks. I think she will win Shanghai, Tokyo, and Seoul. Then again, I expect her to win every tournament she enters:o . Then again, who is entering Seoul/Tokyo that is good enough to challenge a top ten player?:confused:

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:04 AM
she is # 8, Venus is # 10, Serena is # 13, and really, the last two are NOT playing like # 1 and 2.

anyway, are you trolling or are you being serious? :confused:

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:06 AM
she is # 8, Venus is # 10, Serena is # 13, and really, the last two are NOT playing like # 1 and 2.

anyway, are you trolling or are you being serious? :confused:
I am dead serious. By Wimbledon next year, JHH, Serena, and Sharapova will be the top three players on paper and in reality. I do not know the order of either the paper rankings or the public opinion rankings, but they are clearly the best three players technically in women's tennis. We, as fans, should be seeing a golden era of tennis unfold over the next 5 to 10 years:D .

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:07 AM
going to the topic, I wouldn't hold my breath for Maria playing there, not until her agent or Maria herself confirms it.

The sponsors can say whatever they want but it wouldnt' be the first time they lie, how many times they have put Venus, or Serena or Anna in the ads and they had never had any intention to play.

I am not saying she is not playing, but I wouldn't pay attention to anything that doesn't come directly from her or her agent. Not even the WTA.

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:10 AM
The only way Maria will lose in either tournament is if she tanks. I think she will win Shanghai, Tokyo, and Seoul. Then again, I expect her to win every tournament she enters:o . Then again, who is entering Seoul/Tokyo that is good enough to challenge a top ten player?:confused:
Hopefully Monica Seles, lol:). Or hopefully Ai Sugiyama. Other than that, most will be in Europe playing Filderstadt.

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:27 AM
I am dead serious. By Wimbledon next year, JHH, Serena, and Sharapova will be the top three players on paper and in reality. I do not know the order of either the paper rankings or the public opinion rankings, but they are clearly the best three players technically in women's tennis. We, as fans, should be seeing a golden era of tennis unfold over the next 5 to 10 years:D .
I agree, I would put Amelie in that list as well, but reality is that you know what will happen, who knew Serena would get that operation? who could have predicted Justine was going to get ill?, anything can happen including other players coming through (like Tatiana Golovin for example). Better technically doesn't mean they will be # 1.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:29 AM
who cares if she is playing in this tourney. she just wants to play tennis, and spread the sport. it's a good thing. it's like the expos playing their first 15 home games in another country. just spread the sport around make it known, and popular throughout the world. go maria!

BlahBlahson
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:30 AM
how could you say that Serena deserves to be number one with the way she is playing right now?

SharapovaFan16
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM
serena was on the right track the way she was playing at wimby, but i swear that maria beat down shook her up big time. now she is doing something she has never done. questioning herself!

ico4498
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM
honor your past Sharapova! many fools here sprouted nonsense about Teir IV titles. some even committed the supreme sacriledge of comparing you to a previous Russian beauty.

ico4498
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM
ys said ...

"In winning mickey mouse tournaments that Anna never bothered to play?"

lol!

goldenlox
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Anna can still buy and sell Maria over and over.

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Dont worry, Maria will picked up by some singers sooner or later. Just wait until she turns 18:).

ico4498
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Anna can still buy and sell Maria over and over.
you should take comfort in that.

at this point its your only comfort ...

Sharapova rocks!

goldenlox
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:06 AM
It doesn't help me any. But Anna's certainly not hurting.

ico4498
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:12 AM
It doesn't help me any. But Anna's certainly not hurting.
are you suggesting that Anna's back isn't ailing?

for shame Anna, have you been lying to your adoring public???

do you have proof for such a vile accusation?

goldenlox
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:13 AM
I know Anna's in love, and having fun. Maria's going to China and Korea. She needs money.
Or should I say her agent does.

Sadka
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:23 AM
good newsd for korean tennis :kiss:

Eric_tennis
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Overall, it's good thing to Korean fans and WTA. The sponsors are rich enough to satisfy the needs of Maria and the Korean sports market is big enough to be taken care of by the multi-national sports agents. As you know, they paid big money to host Olympic games and World-Cup football games for the 1st time in Asia.
Anyway, Maria is now the most popular tennis player along with Martina Hingis :hearts: there. Even non tennis fans know her name and face after the Wimbledon Victory.
I hope it should boost some tennis fever in Korea resulting many future world-class top players like they did in women's Golf.

BTW, the week (staring Sep. 27) should the worst to host such a tournament. Most poeple will have about one-week holiday and will head to their hometown cause it's kind of 'Thanksgiving Day' for Koreans. Every shops will be closed and most street would be empty. :sad:

Stamp Paid
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM
WoW! Go Sharapova!

Vut
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM
:hearts:

Eric Cantona
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I know Anna's in love, and having fun. Maria's going to China and Korea. She needs money.
Or should I say her agent does.

Anna's having fun, Maria is winning grand slams, something Anna will never do.
Maria does not need money. Her predicted earnings exceeds £100m($190m) in the next 10 years, making her the most wealthy sportswoman ever, according to experts.