PDA

View Full Version : UK newspaper votes Navratilova all-time greatest sportswoman;7th sportsperson overall

raquel
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM
OUR TOP 10

1 Muhammad Ali
2 Pele
3 Michael Schumacher
4 Lance Armstrong
5 Sir Don Bradman
6 Sir Steve Redgrave
7 Martina Navratilova
8 Jack Nicklaus
9 Carl Lewis
10 Michael Jordan

WHY ALI WILL ALWAYS BE No.1

By John Cross

LANCE ARMSTRONG became one of the greats of sporting history after his record sixth Tour de France title.. but would barely manage to land a blow on Muhammad Ali as the undisputed No.1 of all time.

The achievements of Armstrong are even more remarkable because he overcame testicular cancer but still raced on to rewrite the history books.

Yet it is fight legend Ali who will always go down as the world's biggest sporting icon and not only because winning the heavyweight crown in his era was regarded as the biggest single achievement in sport.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/mirror/jan2002/1/6/0005042F-A212-1C46-BE0180BFB6FA01D8.50s

Ali's battle against racism and for equal rights elevated him far above mere sporting mortals.

Brazilian superstar Pele also inspired his country, winning three World Cups in the most popular sport of all - football. That sets him apart from the likes of Diego Maradona, George Best and Johan Cruyff.

Formula One ace Michael Schumacher has also rewritten the record books and stands apart in his sport. And, though many feel today's racing driver relies too heavily on modern technology, the brave German's continued success and skill certainly mark him as the greatest driver of all time. The other sporting greats will forever be debated but Britain proudly boasts arguably the greatest Olympian of all time in Sir Steve Redgrave, after his remarkable five golds in successive Games.

Cricket has the great Sir Donald Bradman, athletics the golden talents of Carl Lewis, and tennis boasts the legendary Martina Navratilova who, at 47, is still playing and has won 157 singles titles and 16 Grand Slam events.

And the tally of 18 Grand Slams for American golfer Jack Nicklaus means he transcends even the likes of Seve Ballesteros and Tiger Woods.

None, however, have overcome the sheer physical hardship that faced Armstrong. He was diagnosed with cancer in 1996, endured brain surgery and chemotherapy and yet came back to conquer the gruelling demands of the tour and set up his own cancer trust.

There can be no braver competitor in a sport.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Martina, and Lance at the Tour De France :worship: Another UK newspaper is doing a phone-in poll on the greatest ever. There are 13 people to vote from, Martina the only woman and the only tennis player.

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Where the hell is Diego Maradona? He should be level with pele at least.

wongqks
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM
drugs

Kart
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Which newspaper is this ?

Pamela Shriver
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Mores the point, where the hell am I!?

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
drugs

That shouldn't really be taken in to account too much. The list is a joke. Redgrave and armstong ahead of Maradona? Give me a break.

wongqks
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
to me taking drugs completely taken away an professional althletes any credibility IMO

wongqks
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
and in a minor point, british hate maradona becuase of the so call hand of god ;)

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
and in a minor point, british hate maradona becuase of the so call hand of god ;)

I understand that, but there's no denying that he's the best player of all time, ahead of pele, and nowadays Zidane.

wongqks
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
no one is better than pele imo in football and I think most people will agree on that point.

GermanBoy
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:04 PM
3 Michael Schumacher
7 Martina Navratilova

Schumi 3.? :eek: :confused: Okay, I am German and he is German too but he just sits in a car and drives, that is not sport. :rolleyes: He doesn`t deserve to be in the list. Martina is the only woman with a Top 10 spot, I think she could have been placed higher. She achieved so much, I have much respect for her although I am not a fan of her singles comeback this year.

Dava
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Which paper is this from...might it be the daily paper, Martina writes daily articles for during the grand slams :tape:

*hingis_forever*
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM
You're kidding aren't you? He's an f*cking cheater and should never be mentioned in a "greatest of all time discussion". Cheating shouldn't be rewarded! And anyway, if he's good enough, what anout Stanley Matthews or Bobby Charlton?

mboyle
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Sexism once again.:rolleyes: Where's BJK? Where's Annika Sorenstam? Why are sports writers so damn full of testosterone?:o Honestly, MICHAEL SCHUMACHER????? WHAT THE HELL???? "Oh, look at me, I can sit on my ass all day and turn a steering wheel:o " HOW THE HELL DID MICHAEL SCHUMACHER MAKE THE LIST AHEAD OF MARTINA AND LANCE? AND WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT THESE CRICKET PLAYERS?

*hingis_forever*
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:14 PM
I understand that, but there's no denying that he's the best player of all time, ahead of pele, and nowadays Zidane.
Like I said, he's a cheater and should not be rewarded for his "Hand of God" which was one of the biggest controversies in British sporting history, but then again, luck never seems to be on our side! :fiery:

Grachka
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Like I said, he's a cheater and should not be rewarded for his "Hand of God" which was one of the biggest controversies in British sporting history, but then again, luck never seems to be on our side! :fiery:

You seem to forget that the rest of Britain found the Hand of God highly amusing indeed ;) (j/k wtafan :p)

and where is Saori!? :rolleyes:

atina
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
It's from The Mirror. Not the most serious newspaper I believe?

casanovalover
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
AND WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT THESE CRICKET PLAYERS?

yes why would a british news poll reflect one of the most popular sports in its country? don't they realise that americans don't play cricket and therefore nobody cares about it? oh wait i guess there are those few hundred million people in india, pakistan and sri lanka who are absolutely obsessed with it, and those south africans, australians, new zealanders and west indians. they don't matter though do they.

it doesn't matter either that the guy averaged 99.9 runs each time he batted during one of the strongest period of test cricket and the next best after that all time is around 60.

you talk about sexism etc but your complete ignorance and lack of acceptance of other cultures is just as bad, if not worse.

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
There are so many more sports more popular than cricket in the UK. And rightly so. But how can they only have one footballer in the top 10 is ridiculous.

*hingis_forever*
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM
There are so many more sports more popular than cricket in the UK. And rightly so. But how can they only have one footballer in the top 10 is ridiculous.
OMG! Cricket's obviously one of the top 3 sports in the UK!

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
OMG! Cricket's obviously one of the top 3 sports in the UK!

1, football (more popular than EVERY other sport put together)
2, Rugby
3, Tennis

atina
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM
It is very much a British poll. In some other European countires people from winter sports might even be mentioned...

*hingis_forever*
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM
1, football (more popular than EVERY other sport put together)
2, Rugby
3, Tennis
I'm sorry, but tennis isn't popular in England. Tim Henman is! After him, tennis will cease to exist until another Brit comes along and challenges for slams (even if he doesnt win them). Cricket is still clearly more popular in GBR as even when England isn't doing so well they still have many people playing and watching!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
The Top 2 without a doubt (Muhammad Ali and Pele :D :) )
you could hold a picture of those two almost anywhere in the world and they'd know who they are.

As for the rest i very much doubt it

Whats Druggie Carl Lewis doing there ??
He was on drugs himself when he was acting all innocent when Ben Johnson got busted, and all along he was doing the same :rolleyes:

CJ07
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM
haha, most people in the us dont know what Cricket is.....what is it by the way :p

Matt Clarke
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:51 PM
haha, most people in the us dont know what Cricket is.....what is it by the way :p

Some really slow sport. I wouldn't be surprised if someone watched it for 2 hours without realising it has even started.

Pele and Maradona should be no 1 and 2. Muhammed Ali should be no 3 in my opinion.

faboozadoo15
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:54 PM
ummm this is british... that should be enough said. had this been an american, there would be similar bias too.

wongqks
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM
cricket is like baseball, very boring and it last 10 times as long... so you get the idea ... :o

casanovalover
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM
cricket is like baseball, very boring and it last 10 times as long... so you get the idea ... :o

what sports do like? badminton?

whether people think cricket is boring or not bares no impact on the fact that bradman was one of the greatest players of all time + he left the game to go to war so in my book that puts him above everyone else besides maybe ali.

Black Mamba.
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:24 AM
How is MJ not top 5, without him Basketball wouldn't be nearly as popular not to mention his game is mirrored by 90% of the guards and small fowards in the league.

Martian Willow
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:40 AM
...you can't even compare Michael Schumacher with F1 drivers of more than 10 years ago, let alone anyone from any other sport...it's not just the technology, it's the go-kart tracks with huge run-offs...and then they call him 'brave'... :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:43 AM
what sports do like? badminton?

whether people think cricket is boring or not bares no impact on the fact that bradman was one of the greatest players of all time + he left the game to go to war so in my book that puts him above everyone else besides maybe ali.
for greatest athlete, the greater athleticism in the sport makes a difference. if it was like that (being great at your sport) where's the best curler of all time? the best crochet player? sports that require less athleticism in a lot of people's minds don't deserve is as much as the others...

faboozadoo15
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:43 AM
How is MJ not top 5, without him Basketball wouldn't be nearly as popular not to mention his game is mirrored by 90% of the guards and small fowards in the league.
this is british, and this is stupid...

switz
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:02 AM
for greatest athlete, the greater athleticism in the sport makes a difference. if it was like that (being great at your sport) where's the best curler of all time? the best crochet player? sports that require less athleticism in a lot of people's minds don't deserve is as much as the others...

have you even ever played cricket? try batting for a whole day in 40 degree temperatures and then coming out the next day to bowl or field - the concentration and athleticism required to be a great cricketer is immense and it's offensive to compare it curling.

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:11 AM
you talk about sexism etc but your complete ignorance and lack of acceptance of other cultures is just as bad, if not worse.
Sports transcend cultures. I accept that world football requires amazing skill and endurance, and is internationally huge. Cricket, on the other hand, is like baseball: just physically demanding enough to be a sport (as opposed to golf,) but the top cricket players or baseball players should not be compared to the best soccer players, boxers, or cyclists, as all thre sports require far better athletes.

tenn_ace
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Martina - well deserved :worship:

fammmmedspin
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Just shows how silly these lists are. People know nothing about most sports, even less about history. If you were into athletics or gymnastics or swimming there would be about 15-20 names you would put up there with Navratilova. Gail Devers is still getting the equivalent of GS titles 12 years after she took her first olympic Gold too.

Martian Willow
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Sports transcend cultures. I accept that world football requires amazing skill and endurance, and is internationally huge. Cricket, on the other hand, is like baseball: just physically demanding enough to be a sport (as opposed to golf,) but the top cricket players or baseball players should not be compared to the best soccer players, boxers, or cyclists, as all thre sports require far better athletes.

...there is a difference between being a 'sportsperson' and being an 'athlete'...there is a difference between 'sport' and 'athletics'... :)

switz
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:22 AM

that is such crap. baseball you sit in a dugout and the maximum athleticism a batter can show is running around a diamond once or doing a short sprint perhaps. bradman scored centuries bascially every time he went into bat and therefore he would be protecting his wicket for up to 8 hours straight against some of best bowlers the world has seen in scorching australian summers. the amount of sustained concentration and the physical demands of such accomplishments earn him his spot on this list. how many athletes are there who are still considered by far and away the greatest player of time (even by rivals) in their chosen sport over 60 years after they played the game?

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Schumi 3.? :eek: :confused: Okay, I am German and he is German too but he just sits in a car and drives,
he actually kind of lay down in it, have you seen a F1 car? :lol:

Philbo
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Congratulations Martina...

Cricket is way more athletic..How typically american of someone to denigrate it as a sport because its not popular in the USA..

But rest assured, cricket requires WAY more athleticism than baseball, or golf for that matter!

chris whiteside
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:13 AM
You seem to forget that the rest of Britain found the Hand of God highly amusing indeed ;) (j/k wtafan :p)

and where is Saori!? :rolleyes:

So you think cheating is amusing? These results have just about as much relevance as the recent ESPY awards but congrats anyway to Martina.