PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

j_dementieva27
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:03 AM
From the Acura Classic Website:

This is Hantuchova’s third career Acura Classic appearance. In 2002, she lost to Ai Sugiyama in the second round when she was given a point penalty on match point.

whats going on with that? what happened that made her get the penalty and how did both players react? what a way to lose a match!

thanks to anyone who knows

lizchris
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:04 AM
From the Acura Classic Website:

This is Hantuchova’s third career Acura Classic appearance. In 2002, she lost to Ai Sugiyama in the second round when she was given a point penalty on match point.

whats going on with that? what happened that made her get the penalty and how did both players react? what a way to lose a match!

thanks to anyone who knows
She was penalized for delay of game, I think.

pcrtennis
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:05 AM
She had several time violations before this and on match point she had another time violation but this one cost her the point and ofcourse the match. She's known for that...the funny thing is that Daniela was playing doubles with Ai that week.

Venus Forever
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Yup, delay of game.

She was taking a lot of time in between points, and was previously warned, but still took more than the time allowed.

AjdeNate!
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
I remember all that drama from that match. Was a big deal back in the day.

j_dementieva27
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
I remember all that drama from that match. Was a big deal back in the day.

yeah ... explain?

AjdeNate!
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:12 AM
yeah ... explain?
Just all the news feeds about how the match ended on a point penalty. And how big it was that it actually happened.
Then the next week, the tv (here in US) showed it, with a clock and she actually was not over the allotted time on that particular point. :tape:

Leo_DFP
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Well, it's been explained already. There's not much more to the story than what has been said. To my memory, Daniela was understandably upset but didn't make that big a fuss; she was most likely going to loss anyway. She rebounded well after that with good results in Toronto and the US Open.

it was big news here on wtaworld, though.

BlahBlahson
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM
wow...sucks for Daniela