PDA

View Full Version : Why is the tennis media so fickle?

JennyS
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I've noticed a trend in tennis. It seems like so many people in the media are bandwagoners, meaning that when a player is starting to play well again, all of a sudden they are predicting them to win, but if that player starts to slump, they immedietly jump on someone else's bandwagon.

It seems like just yesterday that Lindsay was considered over the hill by most in the press. Now after two great weeks she's the favorite for the US Open. If Serena goes on and wins San Diego and the Olympics all of a sudden she will be the favorite. And maybe Amelie will win a hardcourt event or two and become the favorite of the moment.

This seems to happen all the time. Everytime Amelie has a great claycourt season, a lot of people jump on her bandwagon and then jump all over her when she doesn't win Roland Garros.

And with Jen they are all over the place. Since 2001, she's been the underdog, the favorite, one of the favorites, the only one who can stop all-Williams finals, a third set choker, not one of the few favorites, but she's still a contender, the Williams sisters are out, now's her greatest chance to win the US Open, the heavy favorite to win Roland Garros, an underachiever at that same Roland Garros and totally out of shape, needs to check into a retirement home old hag.

The media seems to treat tennis as a "what have you done for me lately?" type of sport.

azza
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Thx american.

Helen Lawson
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Hollywood is just as fickle, if not more so. One day, you're a "babe." Then one day you wake up, and you're "district attorney." Then one day, you wake up, and you're "driving miss daisy."

It goes by so fast.

Atrixo
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Thx american.

Wow, Azza! Another constructive post; you've seriously outdone yourself here! :rolleyes:

Pamela Shriver
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Why is the tennis media so fickle?
No its not!
Yes it is. Good point.

Pamela Shriver
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Yes it is. Good point.

No its not.

Kart
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM
It's the nature of the media in general.

sartrista7
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM
The media seems to treat tennis as a "what have you done for me lately?" type of sport.

That's because it is.

It's a bit irritating to see people who are completely uninformed about how the media operates criticising it as if they could do better... that happens a lot on this board.

pav
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM
They can be, lets pull a Player's name out of the Hat, say... I know, Alex. Stevenson, You just watch, when She wins about ten matches in a row, the media will be chasing Her around like boars chasing a sow in season!

BlahBlahson
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:40 PM
They can be, lets pull a Player's name out of the Hat, say... I know, Alex. Stevenson, You just watch, when She wins about ten matches in a row, the media will be chasing Her around like boars chasing a sow in season!

Don't hold your breath :rolleyes:

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
The tennis media just like fans, have their own opinions. To think they are objective or have a duty to be is wrong. Their interests are shown as is their bias or simply, opinions in much of their work. It's how darlings are created, champions torn down prematurely, etc.

bandabou
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I guess it´s just the way it is.

JennyS
Jul 27th, 2004, 12:39 AM
That's because it is.

It's a bit irritating to see people who are completely uninformed about how the media operates criticising it as if they could do better... that happens a lot on this board.

It's a bit irritating to me when someone is completely informed that I took several courses on the media in college and was a communications major before I switched to English.

I didn't say I could do better. Some journalists are not so fickle. It's the people who say things like "Serena is playing so well that nobody can beat her" and ten seconds later says "she has a long way to go."

Junex
Jul 27th, 2004, 01:46 AM
It's the nature of the media in general.

Indeed!

Media focuses whichever is in the limelight. If media is fickle thats because people in general are so fickle.

After all Media exist in the so-called "human interest".