PDA

View Full Version : Can Serena bounce back?!

bandabou
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Serena´s last two finals have been pretty dissapointing. Serena used to be the queen of finals, adapt at closing matches out....but now?! She´s getting SPANKED like nobody´s business.

What do you think she needs to work on for her to start closing out matches like she used again?!

Paneru
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Are you really serious? :cool:

Ofcourse she can and will bounce back!
That's a forgone conclusion!

Serena just needs to stop worrying about making errors
and play the aggressive style that has made her a champion.
In yesterdays match to me as at Wimbledon she was playing
way too tentatively, she's backing of shot's she never has before.

Serena will be fine.
No need for overreaction.

esquímaux
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Bouncing is what Serena does best ;)

GoGoMaggie
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I'm sure she ll be back but she will never dominate the tour to the extent that she once did again. It's more to do with other players' confidence when playing Serena. Now it seems more girls are convinced that Serena ain't invincible. With the Belgian duos back on the tour, it will become even more difficult to do so. So she better find her form and get back to the winning mode before they come back.
I don't believe the rest of the tour has gotten that much better or stronger, though. We still have those oldies like Amy Frazier playing just as well as ten years ago. It's just that other girls started playing like Serena and now they can match her in power and most importantly got used to her style. Usually when someone finds a way to cope with the currently most dominating style, a new generation emerges.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM
I dont think its that others have "gotten used to her style" or her power. She has in no way displayed that ability and power latley.
I think you need to look at a few things.

If Serena got "spanked" in a final where she played really well id be very worried. Truth is, IMO yesterday´s final was the WORST match Ive ever seen her play. She got crushed cuz she played attrociousley. Just plain terrible, and she admitted it.

Because Serena was so unhappy with herself in the press conference, It leads me to believe she will regroup in these next few tournies. The main problem is not her mobility or her serve, its her MENTALITY and its mostly affecting her ground game.

Serena looked sooo tight yesterday she never hit out on her groundstrokes, allowing Lindsay to fully dictate while she scrambled in the back, as she stated "I need to stop playing 1000 feet behind the baseline and step up to the ball".

She knows her mistakes, shes working on them but its mostly mental and match play at this point. Making finals for the time being is pretty good when youre faar below your leve.

She can only get better and she will be back.

jrm
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I have seen her play WAY, WAY, WAY better than this ...

Chance
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Geeze give her break, 9 months out of the game and you want her to pick up where she left, as if nothing had happend- it will take time... such huge unrealistic expectations sometimes

Paneru
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Geeze give her break, 9 months out of the game and you want her to pick up where she left, as if nothing had happend- it will take time... such huge unrealistic expectations sometimes
Yep!

bandabou
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:14 PM
So it´s all mental....then it´s good I guess, can be worked on.

Greenout
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:21 PM
When did Serena suddenly become a journeywoman? :lol:

You worry too much. Off course she'll bounce back. By the way
I didn't get a chance to see the match, since it hasn't aired here
yet. Weird how weeks ago LD was being sent to the glue factory
and here she is being given wild applause as a potential GS champ
again.

If LD can bounce back, your Serena can too.

vutt
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Geeze give her break, 9 months out of the game and you want her to pick up where she left, as if nothing had happend- it will take time... such huge unrealistic expectations sometimes I wonder when you and rest of Serena fans will consider that waiting period is over and long layoff isn't excuse any more?

Don't kill me, I'm just asking... :)

Chance
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Serena has played 6 tournaments (technically 7 but withdrew after the first round in FFC) I'll get back to you when she plays 12 tournaments...

villa
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM
She's in a worse state than venus imo. Venus's game is being affected by reoccurring injuries and when she is fit is looking good. Serena on the other hand despite no injury concerns in being spanked left right and centre and isn't even being competitive in her losses. Her footwork and movement is the biggest concern for me right now- she looks out of position and unbalanced when she is hitting her shots- this suggests a lack of practice and conditioning.

hollywood7172
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
i think lindsay is just playing outta her mind right now, since she's retiring soon, thus the odd scoreline.

serena will bounce back. it's not easy after a long layoff to adjust to tournaments and change of surface. she DID make the finals of wimby and win miami so not too shabby overall. just give her a lil more time.

just wait till justine and kim get back--watch how long it'll take before they are back to pre-injury level. ;)

Hagar
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
This is not a matter of closing out matches so not mental problem here.
Serena needs to work on her game, needs to go through the basics of tennis once again with a REAL tennis coach in order to remove some little mistakes here and there. The more your game is technically sound, the more it is a solid basis on which you can always rely. The Williams sisters are great athletes but they are sometimes weak in the technical department.
Serena survives the early rounds because she is too strong for most of the girls on the tour but in a final she normally meets a player who is also strong and precise, and at that moment Serena is not always up to the task.
Some hard work needs to be done but once it will be done, there is no reason why Serena will not be back on top.

Helen Lawson
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM
People asked the same thing after I lost my first four Oscar nominations. I always bounced back! I'm Helen Lawson, baby, and don't you forget it.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Spanked...? Man please....there girls not spanking Serena...Venus has gotten her ass taped a few times...but its mostly because they are making unforced errors. Yeah Serena and Venus will be back...this is one only one year..that they haven't won a grand slam...and now everybody act like their career is over....

pigam
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I just saw the whole match, sure Serena didn't play well, but in this match,
it's Lindsay who surprised me most. So little errors. Unbelievable.
In some matches, Serena starts off with a lot of errors, but as her opponent makes them too, She get's some 'free' points and she's able to get into the match. Lindsay didn't give her any free points!!

What my (humble ;) ) analysis is:
Footwork and even court attitude.
I could have sworn I saw selfpity (don't kill me :unsure: :o ;) ) on Serena's face.
I never saw it before, she's either dramatising her errors, or laughing with them
instead of relaxing and focusing.
She was out of breath a lot of the time. Why? Because she isn't fit?
I don't think so. Because she is so nervous (I have it when I'm nervous) she's almost hyperventilating and she has difficulties to controle her breathing :eek:

Really strange how tense she is, never expected this from Serena. Is she over? No. way. Women's tennis is one of the most 'evolving' (?) sports at the moment.

boggs570
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I guess people forgot when Lindsay came back from her knee injury how difficult it was for her to win a tournament she would make a lot of finals but could never pull out a win and this went on for about a year and no know complained or made derogatory remarks about her being done and she should retire etc. Why can't the same fairness be extended to the sisters just because Serena lost two finals after being off the tour for almost a year people are talking shit and her so call fans such as Bandou (sp)are deserting her. If you call yourself a fan then she really do not need you. Vee lost quite a few also and now she is making her way back to the top. I wonder what would have happened on Saturday if she had not hurt her wrist she sure had Lindsay on the ropes.

Hagar
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I just saw the whole match, sure Serena didn't play well, but in this match,
it's Lindsay who surprised me most. So little errors. Unbelievable.
In some matches, Serena starts off with a lot of errors, but as her opponent makes them too, She get's some 'free' points and she's able to get into the match. Lindsay didn't give her any free points!!

What my (humble ;) ) analysis is:
Footwork and even court attitude.
I could have sworn I saw selfpity (don't kill me :unsure: :o ;) ) on Serena's face.
I never saw it before, she's either dramatising her errors, or laughing with them
instead of relaxing and focusing.
She was out of breath a lot of the time. Why? Because she isn't fit?
I don't think so. Because she is so nervous (I have it when I'm nervous) she's almost hyperventilating and she has difficulties to controle her breathing :eek:

Really strange how tense she is, never expected this from Serena. Is she over? No. way. Women's tennis is one of the most 'evolving' (?) sports at the moment.
That was indeed an awesome performance by Lindsay.
But Serena nervous? I don't buy it. I think she is not focused enough. Normally she is a beast, now I got the impression she did not really care.

Fingon
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Serena´s last two finals have been pretty dissapointing. Serena used to be the queen of finals, adapt at closing matches out....but now?! She´s getting SPANKED like nobody´s business.

What do you think she needs to work on for her to start closing out matches like she used again?!
I haven't seen the match against Davenport, but thinking of Wimbledon, I believe Serena's problems are focused in two areas.

1) I don't think she is too motivated, as a result, she is not willing to spend enough time training and to work during matches to construct the points. She's grown too impatient and if the players on the other side can keep up the really for a few strokes, the will hit it out.

2) Serena's main strenghts have always been the serve, the return and the groundstrokes, she's never been good at the net or changing pace, but she was so good in these areas that was pretty much enough.

thinking only of the Wimbledon match, I would have to say her problem was Masha's return, with her long reach and determination, Masha was returning everything and that frustrated Serena. She is not used to have her shots returned, especially on grass so she did not have a plan B (and the main problem is that she can't execute a plan B, she can only improve her plan A).

Pretty much, similar to Monica, Monica was so great in some areas that didn't need variety, but when several factors compromised her strenghts she had no answers.

Now, this reasoning has a flaw: Lindsay Davenport, she is not quick, she is not a goog retriever, so, what's up?, maybe low confidence, maybe the Wimbledon match undermined her self-believe

I would say she definitely can bounce back. She has the weapons, she has a natural talent to strike the ball. She needs to think more on court, be more patient and overall, work harder off court. The question is, does she want to do that? It can take a while and demand a lot of effort, and it might means he has to leave all other activities.

It's up to her, I guess you have to ask her if she wants to.

bandabou
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I guess people forgot when Lindsay came back from her knee injury how difficult it was for her to win a tournament she would make a lot of finals but could never pull out a win and this went on for about a year and no know complained or made derogatory remarks about her being done and she should retire etc. Why can't the same fairness be extended to the sisters just because Serena lost two finals after being off the tour for almost a year people are talking shit and her so call fans such as Bandou (sp)are deserting her. If you call yourself a fan then she really do not need you. Vee lost quite a few also and now she is making her way back to the top. I wonder what would have happened on Saturday if she had not hurt her wrist she sure had Lindsay on the ropes.

Hey..you´re right!! Lindsay struggled as well after her knee-surgery. Losing like 8 or 9 finals in a row and stuff....and she STILL has NOT reached a major final like Serena has done already..hey, so life ain´t bad afterall.

SerenaSlam
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Personally I don't see what Serena needs to bounce back from besides her 2002-03 Form she had going. She has been in 3 finals since being off for 8 Months. Winning her first tounie back. If anything, players like Jen, Amelie etc need to bounce back.

SerenaSlam
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
when you think about it, Serena has done better than both of them already this year, and she is coming back from injury. Serena has bounced back already, not just where she was a year and a half ago.

bandabou
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Uhum, uhum.....already has more finals than many players who have played the whole year....so I guess life ain´t all that bad.

"Topaz"
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I haven't seen the match against Davenport, but thinking of Wimbledon, I believe Serena's problems are focused in two areas.

1) I don't think she is too motivated, as a result, she is not willing to spend enough time training and to work during matches to construct the points. She's grown too impatient and if the players on the other side can keep up the really for a few strokes, the will hit it out.

2) Serena's main strenghts have always been the serve, the return and the groundstrokes, she's never been good at the net or changing pace, but she was so good in these areas that was pretty much enough.

thinking only of the Wimbledon match, I would have to say her problem was Masha's return, with her long reach and determination, Masha was returning everything and that frustrated Serena. She is not used to have her shots returned, especially on grass so she did not have a plan B (and the main problem is that she can't execute a plan B, she can only improve her plan A).
...Pretty good, Fingon.

BTW, are you going to see the men this week at ATP Masters-Series Canada (Canadian Open)? I think I might go for the quarters and semis.

Fingon
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Pretty good, Fingon.

BTW, are you going to see the men this week at ATP Masters-Series Canada (Canadian Open)? I think I might go for the quarters and semis.
I am going Tuesday night because I have free tickets :devil:

I doublt I'll go to the quarters or semis, it's way too expensive. I would consider it to see Federer, only, I wouldn't pay that money to see Roddick or Agassi.

I went on the Saturday and I think the new complex sucks, except for Centre Court, the rest is pretty bad :fiery: