PDA

View Full Version : Amelie becomes #2 in the race to championship passing Nastya temporarily.

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:35 AM
But Lindsay's lead is too big to pass.

SerenaVenusNo1
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:42 AM
what, no "!?" at the end of this thread title?

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Dont think this comes as a surprise, lol:). Good luck Kim:).

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:11 AM
No offense..but its about time! :lol: :p

ans
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Well, if you don't play for a long while after winning a lot the year before, you fall in the rankings. That's really not so surprising.

Hagar
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I'm more surprised that she is still number 2 after not having played Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

veera
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
I hate it, but she hasn't playd a tournament since February without withdrawing after her first match, so it makes sense. Please come back soon!!!

mboyle
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Yes, that is about where Kim belongs.

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Funny how tennis scene has changed during her absence. With the focus shifting to the Russians, Kim will be even more overshadowed. She is already going unnoticed with all the attention on "the" Belgian player, Justine, and the the Williams sisters. Now Lindsay is having a hot streak going, and the Russians are coming on strong. I wont be surprised if Kim does not get to play in US Open, how bizzard will it be if Kim gets a side-court for the US Open early rounds.....:).

Kart
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I'd say no.5 is pretty good for someone who hasn't played for six months !

lizchris
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
As of next week, it is certain that she is going to fall to number 3 based on the projected rakings, so I will wait until the end of the current tournament to see if she falls further than that.

Dave B
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
What makes me scared is that when she comes back her ranking will stay down there with all those points to defend until clay court season 2005!

mboyle
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I don't think either Myskina or Mauresmo will hold seed. I think both will go down in the third round to Rubin and Frazier, respectively.

lizchris
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I don't think either Myskina or Mauresmo will hold seed. I think both will go down in the third round to Rubin and Frazier, respectively.
You're kidding regarding Mauresmo, right?

I agree with you on Myskina. I'd be surprised if she gets past the QF.

Leo_DFP
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I do think both Myskina and Davenport will hold their seedings, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually played each other in the finals.

CJK
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Lindsay takes on K-Lina next, it will not be an easy match.

BlahBlahson
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Damn you Myskina-doubters

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:07 AM
I do think both Myskina and Davenport will hold their seedings, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually played each other in the finals.
Myskina has to face to players better than she: Rubin and Sharapova. Both matches won't be in Myskina's hands. She'll be lucky to make the semis. Once there, Serena should await.

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:07 AM
You're kidding regarding Mauresmo, right?
no, Amy Frazier has a real chance with the way she has been playing.

thelittlestelf
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Myskina can really shock us, speak wisely.

fammmmedspin
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Myskina has to face to players better than she: Rubin and Sharapova. Both matches won't be in Myskina's hands. She'll be lucky to make the semis. Once there, Serena should await.
Which tour are you watching? Love Chanda but her falling ranking reflects real problems . When sharapova starts beating Myskina she relly will be heading for number 1.

Hant Hant
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:18 AM
yeah, Myskina totally shocked me by winning the French Open. In every single round of the French Open, Myskina faced an opponent that could have beaten her. Even before play started at Roland Garros, I predicted Myskina to fall early and her to be a very safe bet to not win that tournament. But OMG she defeat everyone including Kuznetsova, Venus, Capriati, etc. So I definitely have respect for Myskina and believes in her ability. She had a very hard draw in the French Open and for her to capture that, I am no longer a doubter.

Leo_DFP
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Rubin better than Myskina? Ha, that's a good one. And Sharapova is only better than Myskina on her good days. Otherwise, Myskina is by far the more consistent, strategical, and smart player. Sharapova will probably be rusty after Wimbledon so I give the edge to the Roland Garros champion, if they are to meet. Sharapova must get by Pierce first, and if Pierce plays her best as she has at times this year, Sharapova will be gone in a flash.

Serena? She'll be lucky to reach the semis in her current form. Kuznetsova or Zvonareva could very well take her out before then.

Leo_DFP
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:21 AM
no, Amy Frazier has a real chance with the way she has been playing.
I agree with you on this one. Mauresmo must watch out for Frazier. If Amelie is serving like she did at the French, her serve is going to be ripped apart and she will be broken frequently. If she serves like she did in the semis of Wimbledon, she should be fine.

CJK
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think she'll lead Kim by 1 point if she reaches the quarters, lol:D.

Leo_DFP
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Oooh, I just noticed an error in the first post of this thread. Martinez actually leads Davenport over all in their H2H 8-6. Obviously most of those wins came in the beginning of Lindsay's career before she was a champion. But certainly Sprem and Martinez cannot be over-looked by Davenport, as they pose challenges in their own ways.

rada
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:51 AM
go dav u can win this:):) i like to see the older girls kick ass

CJK
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Oooh Martinez actually leads Davenport over all in their H2H 8-6. Obviously most of those wins came in the beginning of Lindsay's career before she was a champion. But certainly Sprem and Martinez cannot be over-looked by Davenport, as they pose challenges in their own ways.
Thx for the notcie:). So Lindsay easily disposed K-Lina,
You are right, before she retired against Conchita, she won 4 straight H2H before that. But overall Conchita still leads, let's see how the oldest player left in the draw can do against Lindsay:D.

selking
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:14 AM
No one is going to beat lindsay when she is playing like she is now. COnchita is washed up and needs to retire

thelittlestelf
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Conchita and Lindsay's head to head means very little as they haven't met on a hard court since 2000. Lindsay should win easily.

Gogo123
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:27 AM
with her current form...Lindsay looks like she will pass BOTH Kim and Amelie to take the second place

gossipcom
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:27 AM
One thing is for sure - Kim will get a protected seeding for the US Open so she'll still get that 2nd position - what Amelie, Lindsay and Anastasia are really fighting for are those 3 and 4 seedings :)

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Lindsay get that no 2 ranking - that being said I'd be curious how many more matches she needs to win (ie: regarding accumulating points) before she's the first person who makes the EOY Championships since she already has a lead of over 400 on Amelie and over 1000 to that no 8 position.

CJK
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:33 AM
One thing is for sure - Kim will get a protected seeding for the US Open so she'll still get that 2nd position - what Amelie, Lindsay and Anastasia are really fighting for are those 3 and 4 seedings :)

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Lindsay get that no 2 ranking - that being said I'd be curious how many more matches she needs to win (ie: regarding accumulating points) before she's the first person who makes the EOY Championships since she already has a lead of over 400 on Amelie and over 1000 to that no 8 position.
Re the points she needs to be #2, Lindsay has to reach the final.

Leo_DFP
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM

But Clijsters hasn't been out for 6 months or more, so she couldn't possible get a special seeding. And that's just assuming that she plays at all.

selking
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM
no problem. she will do it

gossipcom
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:40 AM
True - I think Kim would be kicking herself - she shouldn't have played between March and May and then she would have been fine.

Then again I reckon when they do the seedings there will be a few nervous players as to who gets Clijsters + Williams sisters thrown into their side of the draw <g>

CJK
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Congratulation for Lindsay.

foreva lindsay
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:22 PM
with her current form...Lindsay looks like she will pass BOTH Kim and Amelie to take the second place

LINDSAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can do this girl :bounce:

fifiricci
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:25 PM
No 4 is Kim's WRIST ranking (geddit? but careful how you say it :lol: ).

She'll soon be back and cutting a swathe to number one, dont you worry ............:devil:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Nope!!!!!!!!! If Lindsay will take the number 2 ranking, she will be the number two seed. Kim will only be a co number 2 seed, which when the real number 2 plays, she will be ahead of the player which only has a special seeding.

Spunky83
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:32 PM

If both keep up their current top forms I am pretty sure there will be such a final. Myskina has the chance to beat Serena in the semis, I donīt say she will, but itīs obvious she never had a better chance to do so. If she reaches the final Lindsay will very likely beat her, but well however, letīs see;)

loppy
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Re the points she needs to be #2, Lindsay has to reach the final.

The way she's playing right now, this is a distinct possiblility!

Hagar
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:47 PM
If Lindsay can get back to the number 2 spot, Kim will be able to return there as well.

gossipcom
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Does anyone know when they start announcing who's being accepted for the WTA Champs?

I remember last year Justine or Kim was accepted either before or after the US Open?

Because at the moment I'm trying to work out how many points are on offer between now and the cut-off date to see when they will start accepting, etc.

CJK
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:02 AM
After US points, anyone who is 2000 points above #8 will be accepted as as the end of the year approaches, they will announce more people. Currently the gap between #1 and #8 is 1200 points. We should see quite a few announced as the GE list is introduced.

GermanBoy
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I have to agree. Each player falls down the rankings during injury and Clijsters stayed at the top for a long time without playing.

Hope, Lindsay reaches the final, I really want her to win. No. 2 would be awesome (LazyMasi`s favorite word! ;) )! Go Lindsay! :devil:

gossipcom
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:20 AM
CJK thanks for that :)

deckham
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:25 AM
lol... ouch....you got mauresmo right... but you thought myskina was going to lose to rubin?!?! :eek:

Leo_DFP
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I don't understand this rumour that if Kim plays the US Open, she'll get a special seeding. She cannot. It wouldn't be 6 months or more off due to the injury, so she will be seeded by her real ranking, if she plays.

stijntje
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Yes, that is about where Kim belongs.

So, how do you explain she was number 2 (AND number 1 for a while) for 18 months?!

mboyle
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:06 AM
One thing is for sure - Kim will get a protected seeding for the US Open so she'll still get that 2nd position .
no she won't.

mboyle
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:08 AM
If both keep up their current top forms I am pretty sure there will be such a final. Myskina has the chance to beat Serena in the semis, I donīt say she will, but itīs obvious she never had a better chance to do so. If she reaches the final Lindsay will very likely beat her, but well however, letīs see;)
Sharapova played a much better match than Myskina. Sharapova 6-4; 6-1 over Myskina. Serena still has to get through a pair of Russians, and, after leading 5-2, it is now 5-4 for Serena in set one vs. Bovina.

mboyle
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:10 AM
So, how do you explain she was number 2 (AND number 1 for a while) for 18 months?!
15 months, pal. I explain it by looking at the sisters' injuries, and pre-Sharapova time (in which we still are).

CJK
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Well circumstances are supposed to be the factors. No one is healthy forever. These circumstances are what makes the ranking unpredictable. You cant really "blame" anyone for undeserving it.

Vass22
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Sharapova played a much better match than Myskina. Sharapova 6-4; 6-1 over Myskina. Serena still has to get through a pair of Russians, and, after leading 5-2, it is now 5-4 for Serena in set one vs. Bovina.
You proved yourself a biased fool before and here you're doing it again. Oh, well...

CJK
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:17 PM
This will be the highest ranking she has since she lost it during her injury timeout in 2002.

gossipcom
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:09 AM
One thing's for sure Lindsay I think has that no 1 position for the Race to the WTA Championship wrapped up until after the Olympics.

She's got a 633 point lead over Mauresmo at the moment - and even if she doesn't progress any further and the other players contesting Montreal next week get 400+ points they won't overtake her in the race.

Chunchun
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:42 AM
so i hope lindsay cant reach no.2 ;)

Daniel
Jul 31st, 2004, 07:11 AM
Vamos Myskina :D

foreva lindsay
Jul 31st, 2004, 10:39 AM
COME ON LINDSAY!!! you can do this today

azmad_88
Jul 31st, 2004, 12:16 PM
Dementieva please reach the finals here...last week she lost to williams in the semi,...this semi...i dont think so she will lose...if she loses also it'll be a tough 3 sets..but i want her to win...either than Davenport she is also in the Driver's seat this summer..lets see whos gonna win....go DEMENTIEVA

sunnysideup
Jul 31st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Lindsay is playing well but Elena has a great chance of upsetting her again considering that Lindsay has been playing for 3rd consecutive tournament.:devil:

Crazy_Fool
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Go linds!!

Mathijs
Jul 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Dementieva please reach the finals here...last week she lost to williams in the semi,...this semi...i dont think so she will lose...if she loses also it'll be a tough 3 sets..but i want her to win...either than Davenport she is also in the Driver's seat this summer..lets see whos gonna win....go DEMENTIEVA
well said azmad!! :worship:, welcome azmad new Lena fan!!!!!!!! Lena deserves to win this tournies looking at her recent form but it's gonna be difficult :scared:

GOOOOO LENA!!!!!!! :bounce:

Andrew.
Jul 31st, 2004, 02:10 PM
Lindsay is playing well but Elena has a great chance of upsetting her again considering that Lindsay has been playing for 3rd consecutive tournament.:devil:
That's just sad if you're wishing her injury.....

Beat
Jul 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM
reading this thread, i find it amazing - once again - how people are not prepared to take nastya seriously... :rolleyes:

anyway: go for no. 2, linz! :worship:

justine&coria
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:03 PM
Sorry but I have the feeling Davenport will destroy Elena's serve, and won't give any chance to Dementieva on her serve !
It might be something like 6-1 6-1 (for Davy).

I believe that Davenport deserve more the 1st place than Myskina or Mauresmo because, she's kinda dominating the US hardcourt season.
Myskina won RG but in a way, it was just one result.

Bright Red
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Congrats, Lindsay!

Leo_DFP
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Sorry but I have the feeling Davenport will destroy Elena's serve, and won't give any chance to Dementieva on her serve !
It might be something like 6-1 6-1 (for Davy).
Nah, it'll be much closer than that. Davenport has always struggled with Dementieva because of her powerful groundies and her low slice serve out wide which forces her to get down low and also play a shot that won't open up the court for Dementieva. I look forward to a heated contest with hopefully my baby coming through and grabbing that #2 ranking. :kiss: :D If Elena wins, I hope she gets the title as well.

CJK
Jul 31st, 2004, 08:48 PM
And she did it:).......
Well done:D.

CJK
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:41 AM
Nastya beats 2 teenagers in a row and now is in one of the most important match of her life.

Andrew.
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:42 AM
If Lindsay in fact pulls out of the match, she's at number two.

CJK
Aug 1st, 2004, 05:02 AM
Thank you, believer:worship::worship:
The final will be the battle of the heavyweight.
Let's hope whoever takes down #2 Belgian in the world will take down #1 soon:D.

CJK
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM
All the best luck to Kim.

Chunchun
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:35 AM
CJK can u make some new threads?

it make me confused as u always change the title

Ekkekko
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:36 AM
I thought it was 6-4,1-6,6-2

CJK
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:39 AM