PDA

View Full Version : Athens TOP 16 seeding projection!?

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Serena and Venus have special seeding
1. Justine Henin-Hardenne
2. Serena Williams

3. Venus Williams
4. Amelie Mauresmo/Anastasia Myskina

5. Amelie Mauresmo/Anastasia Myskina
6-8 Elena Dementieva, Jennifer Capriati, Svetalena Kuznetsova

Serena has SS (Serena has played 7 WTA events prior, this could be the last one)
1. Justine Henin-Hardenne
2. Serena Williams

3-4. Amelie Mauresmo, Anastasia Myskina

5-7. Elena Dementieva, Jennifer Capriati, Svetalena Kuznetsova
8. Venus Williams/Ai Sugiyama/Paola Suarez/Nadia Petrova
(Ai and Paola, with Montreal QF, Nadia with SF)

9-12 (likely to be these people unless a surprise semifinalist in Montreal)
Ai Sugiyama, Paola Suarez, Nadia Petrova, Patty Schnyder
(replace Venus Williams as above if she does not get SS)

13-16
Francesca Schiavone
Anna Pistolesi-Smashnova
Karolina Sprem
Silvia Farina Elia

next in
Chanda Rubin
Magdalena Maleeva

Hant Hant
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:46 AM
i thought san diego already assigned seedings. isn't venus seeded 11th at acura?

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Correct, but that's Venus you are talking about, she already ran out of special seeding.
Serena still has 2 left after this week.

Hant Hant
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Correct, but that's Venus you are talking about, she already ran out of special seeding.
Serena still has 2 left after this week.

but you said venus might get seeded inside the top 8 in san diego and she is not.

anyways..........YAY Acura

maya
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Olympics is not a WTA event right? So if they seed as they were so far this year she will be seeded by her special seeding at US open (itf event) and still have one special seeding left ...

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:01 AM
but you said venus might get seeded inside the top 8 in san diego and she is not.

anyways..........YAY Acura
Now I see where the mix-up is. What I meant was Venus can be seeded for Athens with her rankings since some of the top 10 players are skipping Olympics.

Hant Hant
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:03 AM
ohhhhhhh, lol

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Olympics is not a WTA event right? So if they seed as they were so far this year she will be seeded by her special seeding at US open (itf event) and still have one special seeding left ...
It's not a grand slam tournament, so it technically counts. It also awards points, so it should count. Below is the quote straight out of the WTA newsletter.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Olympics is sactioned by ITF or WTA. Serena might escape this one:).

lizchris
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
It's not a grand slam tournament, so it technically counts. It also awards points, so it should count. Below is the quote straight out of the WTA newsletter.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Olympics is sactioned by ITF or WTA. Serena might escape this one:).
I think the Olympics are an ITF event.

If that is the case, Serena can use her special seeding for the first tournament she plays after the US Open and that is it. But it won't matter because by then, she most likely will be back in the top ten.

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM
So ITF events I guess wont count? Let us see how WTA deals with this one:).
But either way, her seeding in US Open is almost assured, it's not of the the limitations anyways, since the special seeding only applies to the nonslam tournaments. In slams it's up to USTA, which I'm sure wont mind giving her a #2 seed.

lizchris
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:29 PM
So ITF events I guess wont count? Let us see how WTA deals with this one:).
But either way, her seeding in US Open is almost assured, it's not of the the limitations anyways, since the special seeding only applies to the nonslam tournaments. In slams it's up to USTA, which I'm sure wont mind giving her a #2 seed.
The special seedings applys to WTA tour event only, which the Slams and the Olympics are not.

CJK
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
The special seedings applys to WTA tour event only, which the Slams and the Olympics are not.
That is correct, and that was what I thought originally.
However, the rule clearly says it's the first 8 non-slam tournaments for SR.
WTA is going into some grey area about it, I suppose they'll give Serena a break.
Because if it doesnt cout for Serena, then we might see Venus, the defending champion, getting a special seed too, and I think Venus deserves it more.

SerenaSlam
Jul 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
That is correct, and that was what I thought originally.
However, the rule clearly says it's the first 8 non-slam tournaments for SR.
WTA is going into some grey area about it, I suppose they'll give Serena a break.
Because if it doesnt cout for Serena, then we might see Venus, the defending champion, getting a special seed too, and I think Venus deserves it more.
actually there is no break, and really no rule since olympics are very 4 years, im sure Olympics will seed by who they think deserves the top seeding for what not. But Special Ranking will not be used at all for Serena. She will still have one left after the usopen.

CJK
Jul 31st, 2004, 09:18 PM
Let's see if Athens is going to give Venus a seeding.

Truthwillout
Jul 31st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Even those who don't like her should hand it to Justine: remaining n°1 after being away so long says a lot about her previous accomplishments.

Peer101
Jul 31st, 2004, 09:23 PM
2. Serena Williams

3. Venus Williams

:lol:

CJK
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Let's see if Venus will get a SS or not.

lizchris
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Let's see if Venus will get a SS or not.
She is the defending champion so she probably will.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Even those who don't like her should hand it to Justine: remaining n°1 after being away so long says a lot about her previous accomplishments.
and the number of injuries the tour has suffered at the top.

CJK
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Good news Anna is playing. But Fabiola is eliminated from the possibility to be seeded.