PDA

View Full Version : Can Lindsay be the first to sweep American Hardcourt series since 1998?

wongqks
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:24 PM
... when she won it all then?

She has the momentum, will she has the energy?

She has a favourable draw in San Diego, that will help her a bit, not that she really need nay help at the moment!

Havok
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
er...... didn't Christine sweep the summer hardcourt series last year?:scratch:

tennisIlove09
Depends on "sweep"

Venus swept the American hardcourts in 2000, she won all the events she played :D

and Lindsay didn't sweep in 98. She lost in the semis of New Haven to Graf

wongqks
nope Kim won San Diego last year

American hardcourt series is stanford, LA and San Diego

wongqks
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Depends on "sweep"

Venus swept the American hardcourts in 2000, she won all the events she played :D

and Lindsay didn't sweep in 98. She lost in the semis of New Haven to Graf

I sawy American hardcourt series ebcuase it was what they called it when it was 1998, I remember it, coz they were talking a lot about it even in the news in Hong Kong, coz she was the first to do it since Martina Navaratilova or something

tennisIlove09

No.

New Haven is in the USA, so that is American Hardcourt series too.

San Diego 2003
Justine Henin-Hardenne DEF. Kim Clijsters 3-6 6-2 6-3

Crazy_Fool

Kim didn't win San Diego, she lost to Justine in the final (remember all the stuff about gamesmanship by kim?!)

wongqks
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
but did Justine win stanford La and San diego?
sorry I forgot about what happen last year :o

foreva lindsay
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
oooh with her draw next week i think she can :D

lizchris
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM
She'll have to win the US Open to do that and considering she has not gotten to a Grand Slam final since the 2000 US Open, I don't see that happening.

Havok
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM
but did Justine win stanford La and San diego?Justine played San Diego, Toronto and the USO, and she won them all. I guess you can call it a "sweep" but it seems as though you're looking for someone who won them all, so then no she didn't do the sweep.

wongqks
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Justine played San Diego, Toronto and the USO, and she won them all. I guess you can call it a "sweep" but it seems as though you're looking for someone who won them all, so then no she didn't do the sweep.

Maybe it was an old name, but in 1998, they call Stanford LA and San diego as american hardcourt series LOL.

I am showing my age here :p

Crazy_Fool
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM
She'll have to win the US Open to do that and considering she has not gotten to a Grand Slam final since the 2000 US Open, I don't see that happening.
No, but I believe she hasn't beaten a WS since then eiher, thats change, so why can't winning another slam happen

lizchris
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM
No, but I believe she hasn't beaten a WS since then eiher, thats change, so why can't winning another slam happen
Because there will be other players other than the Williams sisters playing in the Open. There will be Justine, possibly Kim and Maria, all of whom have beaten her either on hardcourts or recently.

Even though the sisters lost to Lindsay in two straight hardcourt tournaments, I think it speaks volumes that they were injured at this time last year and were able to make the finals whereas players who are ranked higher than them can't say the same.

LUXXXAS
Jul 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
American hardcourt series is Stanford LA and San Diego and its SERIES because it's week after week... New Haven is after Toronto so......

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:21 AM
traditionally, new haven is not "considered" to be in the hard court series (maybe because it always follows Toronto/Montreal) .when davenport won those 3 straight events in 1998, they called it the Californian Hard Court Sweep or something like that.

These are the players that played in the California Swing and ended up winning the US Open. So, Davenport is looking good right now and I consider her the front runner for the US Open right now (yes, she's proving her critics wrong when they say she can't track down those Williams balls). She's motivated and ready to go here. She has these last few year(s) and she knows its now or never.

1998 Stanford- Davenport
1998 San Diego- Davenport
1998 Los Angeles- Davenport
*Montreal- Seles
*New Haven- Graf
US OPEN- Davenport

1999 Stanford- Davenport
1999 San Diego- Hingis
1999 Los Angeles S.Williams
*Toronto- Hingis
*New Haven- V.Williams
US Open- S.Williams

2000 Stanford- V.Williams
2000 San Diego- V.Williams
2000 Los Angeles- S.Williams
*Montreal- Hingis
*New Haven- V.Williams
US Open- V.Williams

2001 Stanford- Clijsters
2001 San Diego- V.Williams
2001 Los Angeles- Davenport
*Toronto- S.Williams
*New Haven- V.Williams
US Open- V.Williams

2002 Stanford- V.Williams
2002 San Diego- V.Williams
2002 Los Angeles- Rubin
*Montreal- Mauresmo
*New Haven- V.Williams
US Open- S.Williams (did not win any California or other warm up events.)

2003 Stanford- Clijsters
2003 San Diego- Henin-Hardenne
2003 Los Angeles- Clijsters
*Toronto- Henin-Hardenne
*New Haven- Capriati
US Open- Henin-Hardenne

2004 Stanford- Davenport
2004 Los Angeles- Davenport
2004 San Diego- ???
US Open-???