PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova vs Venus Williams

Marcova
Jul 25th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Hope I've been here long enough to start a new thread, but there should be more tennis related threads I think.

Between now and the end of Wimbledon 2005, who will win the most games and matches in a contest between these two?

On what basis do you think your pick will win? Willit be power serves, backhand strokes etc?

Personally I think Venus will win about half, because she has had enough of being second rate, and has something to prove before she retires.

Frank
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Tough question. It depends on so many things, not only pure tennis skills. I think Maria is potentially the better player of the two and at the moment, I think Venus wouldn't be able to beat Maria. But things can change. Injuries, fatigue (both mentally and physically), ambition etc.

Dan23
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Good question Marcova.
Their games are quite similar in a way but if things got real tight and the pressure was really on could Venus keep focused as well as Maria?
After her red hot Wimby performance Maria may just have the edge at the moment. How many times might they meet in a year?? 5 or so?

Rgds, ils

Edward.
Jul 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Venus is nowhere near the player she was a few years ago. If Maria can defeat Serena convincingly in the Wimbledon final, I believe she can beat Venus too. Confidence is the key factor and maria has far more at this moment in time.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Maria will beat Venus... yet I am not sure with Serena....

Memorex_1111
Jul 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Venus has been plagued with injuries the last 2 years and therefore she has been playing less games than Maria. If Venus can stay healthy I think both she and Maria will have pretty even records. But Maria is still a very young player so you never know, maybe she will gain the upper hand for good vs V. Williams.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Venus will lose. The problem is her sister, since MAria's star court is grass...

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Obviously Venus is withdrawn from the Acura Clasic. At least I don't see her in the main draw. She has to play today against Gisela Dulko but I can't find her and there is Tamarine Tanasugarn who will play against Dulko.

That would be great for Maria, a bit easier draw and potential meeting with Miskina in quarters.
Good luck Maria in today's match!! :wavey:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Also Seren ais almost gone!!!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
S Williams vs. J Jankovic 6-7

Thsoe are great news for us!!! Lose Serena!!!

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Yeah, Serena lost first set to Jankovic. That would be total blame to Williamses if Serena will also lose.

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Jankovic, we all hope here that you can do it. Beat Serena!!

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:36 PM
It doesn't matter does it? If Jankovic wins that will prove she is better than Serena at the moment and will prove a tougher opponent for Masha than Serena at this moment. Also, Maria has a lot more to lose against Jankovic than against Serena.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:40 PM
It doesn't matter does it? If Jankovic wins that will prove she is better than Serena at the moment and will prove a tougher opponent for Masha than Serena at this moment. Also, Maria has a lot more to lose against Jankovic than against Serena.

I totally disagree with you... People get to have good days and bad days.. this may be Jankovic good day, and Serena bad day!!!

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I totally disagree with you... People get to have good days and bad days.. this may be Jankovic good day, and Serena bad day!!!

Could be. Of course, in theory, Serena is the better player. But for Maria's chances, she could much better play a weak Serena than a strong Jankovic.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
SEren Broke Jankovic darn it!!! But Jankovic is seeking to break Serena...

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Oh, and by the way. Let's hope this is going to be a very very long 3 set match. Let make Jankovic and Serena drain eachother! :)

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Besides look at the scoreboard! In the second set Jankovic was up in games 40:15, 40:0 and the like on own as well as on Serena serve and always lost these games. She lost crucial points that didn't let her win in stright sets. That means Serena is strong and if she wins this match, she could receive extra confidence and play much better than today. Therefore it would be better to win Jankovic.

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Besides look at the scoreboard! In the second set Jankovic was up in games 40:15, 40:0 and the like on own as well as on Serena serve and always lost these games. She lost crucial points that didn't let her win in stright sets. That means Serena is strong and if she wins this match, she could receive extra confidence and play much better than today. Therefore it would be better to win Jankovic.

Yeah well. One can talk it either way. We'll know for sure after the possible match between Masha and the winner of this one.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Suffer SErena!! Suffer SErenA!!!!! Serena vs. Jankovic 6-7, 6-3, 3-2
and Ajnkovic is serving!!! Go jankovic!!! Kick her butt!!! or make her suffer!!! So she loses against Maria and we get an easier path!

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Mind the blood pressure Duiz, mind the blood pressure :) I'm cheering with you know though...

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM
No!!! jankovic... Come back and beat Serena up now!!! she is down a break and servingf for the match!!! Please Jankovic... break her!!!! Serena vs. Jankovic 6-7, 6-3, 5-4

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Wrong score...

Serena vs. Jankovic 6-7, 6-3, 5-2

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Its all over now. Serena is leading 5:2 in the third. :(

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Its all over now. Serena is leading 5:2 in the third. :(

Oh well. It was looking too good to be true anyways...

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Darn it... Now Maria will have only a little bit of problems to defeat Serena...

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I just hope Serena's doesn't want revenge really bad. On the other hand, if she would start playing more brainless by having these feelings, why not? ;)

Andy Mac
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:08 PM
yea...serena is struggling with tennis right now...(a little bit) she sure aint on her good game....and the media pinned it on emotions...which might make sense..

altemix
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Ok, I'm going to sleep because it's late here 2:12 am. Hope there will be good results in the morning.

Good luck Masha!!!

Frank
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Ok, I'm going to sleep because it's late here 2:12 am. Hope there will be good results in the morning.

Good luck Masha!!!

Good night! I'll be going to bed not too far from here as well. I'm looking forward to the results!