PDA

View Full Version : Who would win a Fed Cup type of match between the Russian teens and the Russian 20's?

the cat
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:28 PM
The Russina teen team would be Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Vera Zvonareva and Maria Kirilenko. The Russina 20's team would be Anastasia Myskina, Elena Dementieva, Nadia Petrova and Elena Likhovsteva. It's almost too close to call. But I'll take the Russina teens on grass and supreme (indoors) and I'll take the Russina 20's on clay and hard courts. :)

I don't mean to sound like a promoter. But maybe something like this could happen in Russia and the proceeds could go to charity. :D

kodeRED
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM
this is a really cool idea cat... i think that the 20's would win on all surfaces tho... coz i think likhovtseva would be a freat grass court player (over sharapova) and myskina would take the carpet portion... elena and myskina on clay and elena on hardcourt

the cat
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks kode. Am I right in your thinking that the Russina 20's would win on all surfaces including grass when the leader of the Russina teens Maria Sharapova just won Wimbledon and upset the mighty 2 time defending Wimbledon Ladies champion Serena Williams in the process?

fresh2flash
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Taken into consideration that Nastya doesn't like to lose to compatriots (and normaly does not), I'd say that the tweens have a much better chance to win than teens. :)

cool_olga
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Actually Vera is already 20 so should be on 'old' team :p

I think 20's would win, yeah indeed Nastya is good against Russians.
Would be cool to do something like that in Russia, cool idea cat :yeah: If we were Tarpischev it would be possible :rolleyes:

the cat
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Ola, I would like you to mention the Russina teens versus Russina 20's charitable Fed Cup like tie the next time you see Shamil Tarpischev. He might think you're a Russina and let you talk to him! :D ;)

And Ola dear, Vera Zvonareva is still a teenager until September 7, 2004. :p :kiss:

Freshy, Nastya will eventually start losing to her comaptriots on an occasional basis. She can only hold them off for so long. Nastya is a terrific player who has given the likes of Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova tennis lessons when she has played them. But the young Russina's are getting better and more experienced.

t_fan
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:16 PM
Taken into consideration that Nastya doesn't like to lose to compatriots (and normaly does not), I'd say that the tweens have a much better chance to win than teens. :)
Actually if Nastya had managed to squeeze into 4rd round of Wimby she most probably would have lost to Masha, IMO. Wish I this had happened :)

kodeRED
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks kode. Am I right in your thinking that the Russina 20's would win on all surfaces including grass when the leader of the Russina teens Maria Sharapova just won Wimbledon and upset the mighty 2 time defending Wimbledon Ladies champion Serena Williams in the process?
yes.. you are right .. i could see both likhovtseva and myskina beating her on grass.
i think elena likhovtseva is a great grass player and if she had focussed more on singles play earlier on in her career she could have made more noise..
but she is sort of like the female kafelnikov... playing all the time singles and doubles and just collecting the cheques!

cool_olga
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Ola, I would like you to mention the Russina teens versus Russina 20's charitable Fed Cup like tie the next time you see Shamil Tarpischev. He might think you're a Russina and let you talk to him! :D ;)

And Ola dear, Vera Zvonareva is still a teenager until September 7, 2004. :p :kiss:

Sure will talk to him when I'm in Moscow, I have Russian name, you know, will be calling myself Olya not Ola :lol:

Oh on September, though already had bitrhday, stupid me :angel:

cool_olga
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
But again I still think 20's would win..not only on clay. Teens would have Maria who could beat 20's, I think Nastya would beat Vera and also Masha..would depend on day. And if only Lena D. improved her serve with her forehand she would beat everybody too :rolleyes:

the cat
Jul 21st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Kode, I can't see Likhovtseva neating Sharapova on a grass court. Myskian yes. Likhovtseva no. Or rather nyet. ;)

Why Olya instead of Ola, Ola?

cool_olga
Jul 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
Olya is from Olga, one Russian girl told be that. Like Anastasia - NastYa. She told me it's kind of Russian thing :p

ys
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:16 PM
Olya is from Olga, one Russian girl told be that. Like Anastasia - NastYa. She told me it's kind of Russian thing :p
It is. I used to be in love with one Olya.. :angel:

DEETHELICK
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:22 PM
I'd put money on experience at the moment and go with Elena, Nastya and Nadya. These three have all been No. 6 or higher in the world, have great experience and most of all can play high level tennis consistently.

Maria S is the only one who can even boast of a record similar to Nastya and Elena's (in terms of overall achievements, etc.)

Good idea cat and interesting debate to have! :)

fresh2flash
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Ola, I would like you to mention the Russina teens versus Russina 20's charitable Fed Cup like tie the next time you see Shamil Tarpischev. He might think you're a Russina and let you talk to him!
What I like about Tarpischev he never says "no" to a journalist asking him about an interview. Any journalist. He is a master of public relations. :)

Nastyafan
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm with the "veterans" too. If that match happens some day it will be most likely on carpet in Moscow where Nastya will hardly lose a match, LenaD. and Nadya will win at least half of their matches not sure about LenaL but probably she will win one match as well.

ys
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:53 PM
Match based on age is not really feasable. You don't want to divide girls on older and younger. They all are young and beautiful. Divide them into younger and elder is offensive.

I would think about, say, match of Team Moscow ( Myskina, Dementieva, Safina, Zvonareva, Bovina, Kournikova ) against the rest of Russia ( Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Lina K. Elena L. ). Or something like Spartak Memorial, where former Spartak trainees ( Myskina, Dementieva, Kournikova, Safina ) would face the rest of Russia.

deckham
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:42 PM
gotta go with the vets.... (team moscow as ys says it....), i do not see myskina and dementieva having too much trouble with the youngsters, except possibly masha. but i don't see myskina struggling with masha because she hasn't shown any sign of losing to another fellow russian in quite a while...... :)

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:11 AM
Hi Olya! :wavey:

Thanks DEETH.

Not a bad idea ys about the Team Moscow versus the rest of the Russians. I'll take the rest of the Russian if Nadia Petrova is playing on that team along with Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

ys
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:25 AM
I'll take the rest of the Russian if Nadia Petrova is playing on that team along with Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.
Nadya is Muscovite. She'll play for Moscow if selected :lol:

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:35 AM
But Petrova left Moscow, Russia for Krakow, Poland because she could get the funding and coaching in Poland that she couldn't get in Russia. Remember? Thus she plays for the rest of the Russians team.

tenn_ace
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:27 AM
But Petrova left Moscow, Russia for Krakow, Poland because she could get the funding and coaching in Poland that she couldn't get in Russia. Remember? Thus she plays for the rest of the Russians team.

she actually first went to Egypt and then from there to Krakow

ys
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:29 AM
But Petrova left Moscow, Russia for Krakow, Poland because she could get the funding and coaching in Poland that she couldn't get in Russia. We classify by the place of birth.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:05 PM
nice idea ;)
I'd go for the Tweeny's over the Teenies

and for Muscovites over rest of Russia.

cool_olga
Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
I would think about, say, match of Team Moscow ( Myskina, Dementieva, Safina, Zvonareva, Bovina, Kournikova ) against the rest of Russia ( Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Lina K. Elena L. ). Or something like Spartak Memorial, where former Spartak trainees ( Myskina, Dementieva, Kournikova, Safina ) would face the rest of Russia.

This is cool too!
We could devide Russiansin so many categories because there's so many great ones, that's incredible.

I think Moscow girsl would win battle with Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonreva, Safina, Anna wouldn't play I guess, though if she did it would be even better event to watch :) And to Moscow team we must add also little Masha :yeah:

Funny, Myskina would always be with Dementieva. And they are best Russians ever so far.

SHAMIL PLEASE READ THIS TOPIC AND MAKE THAT KIND OF THING! :angel:

saab95
Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
the cat!
I don't see Lina K. in your teams.
Nothing to do exept to make with Lina K. third power after september.
We can call Dinara for example, then their brothers... ;)

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Good post Saab. ;)

Olya dear, hasn't Maria Sharapova by winning Wimbledon moved past Elena Dementieva to become the second best Russina?

ys
Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Good post Saab. ;)

Olya dear, hasn't Maria Sharapova by winning Wimbledon moved past Elena Dementieva to become the second best Russina?
The cat, may I introduce you a concept of WTA rankings?

ys
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
I think very good idea would be to have a analogue of Collins Cup, Russia against the rest of the world. 6 of our girls are in Top 15.

Myskina-Henin
Dementieva-Clijsters
Sharapova-Mauresmo
Kuznetsova-Serena
Petrova-Venus
Zvonareva-Davenport
Bovina-Capriati

As good as it gets. We can win that.

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
The rankings are misleading ys. And Maria hasn't even played a full schedule yet. In my opinion winning Wimbledon takes precedence of someone elses higher ranking. For instance I don't know what Conchita Martinez' highest WTA computer ranking was. But I do know that she won Wimbledon in 1994 and that great win will be remembered by tennis fans but her highest computer ranking probably won't be remembered by tennis fans.

I like your Collins Cup idea. But the rest of the world would be favored if your Collins Cup matchups ever came to fruition. And we could appropriately have the legendary tennis journalist and televsion commentator Bud Collins doing the commentary. ;)

cool_olga
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM

Of course, winning grand slam is great achievment but looking throughout all those years I think this one title from Sharapova doesn't make her above Lena. She was best Russian for many years before Nastya made it top 10. I'm not talking about one tournament but everything. Lena has been playing for so many years, is very good, from youngsters Masha is for sure best and at the moment maybe she could beat Lena but looking at all these two have done I think there's no doubt who are two Russian queens still. That's because they are older and longer on Tour but...;)

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Well said Olya. But didn't Maria pummel Elena in a match earlier this year during the clay court season? Yes she did. And that was Maria's first ever win over a top 10 player.

ys
Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:53 PM
Well said Olya. But didn't Maria pummel Elena in a match earlier this year during the clay court season? Yes she did. And that was Maria's first ever win over a top 10 player.
Just to be spanked in the more important clay tournament by a medicre player, whom even very nervous Lena managed to beat easily.

the cat
Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
Who are you talking about? Not Paola Suarez I hope.

cool_olga
Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
I guess it's Suarez...Now we'll see everything, Nastya, Lena, Maria will be al back in action. And it will be on hard, the optimal surface not too fast and not too slow. It will show how the things are.

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Olya, I want to see the Russina's playing well at the same time. That would be very interesting and very excint tennis. :D

cool_olga
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Now you will be calling me Olya all the time? :lol:

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Olya, I'm sure I'll sometimes call you Ola instead. ;)

Epigone
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Freshy, Nastya will eventually start losing to her comaptriots on an occasional basis. She can only hold them off for so long. Nastya is a terrific player who has given the likes of Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova tennis lessons when she has played them. But the young Russina's are getting better and more experienced.Sure will talk to him when I'm in Moscow, I have Russian name, you know, will be calling myself Olya not Ola :lol:

Oh on September, though already had bitrhday, stupid me :angel:Ola, have you seen Tarpischev? ;)

I want to see this kind of tournament played, so go and find him and tell him about this great idea!!! :D

Vass22
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:41 PM
20s. Dementieva and nastya can handle Sveta and Vera. Sharapova will win only on grass.

Natasc
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Dementieva and Nastya are the Russians best players. They can easily beat al that girls. It will be more great if Lena and Nastya be together in doubles. Maria maybe complicated a litle things on grass. But Lena or nastya can pass her. Just 'cause she won Wimblendom doesn't mean she is the best.

Epigone
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:13 PM
The problem is that Vera is now also a 20 ;)

the cat
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks epi. I think this would be a very intruiging match between the Russian teens and the Russian 20's.

Since Vera Z is now 20 I would like to see a 4 player tournament between Myskina and Dementieva taking on Sharapova and Kuznetsova. Each player would play a singles match against both players on the other team and then the last match would be a doubles match between Myskina and Sharapova versus Myskina and Dementieva. I think a competition like this would be up for grabs. And we all know Maria and Sveta have bigger and better serves than Ana and Elena do. ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:47 PM
And we all know Maria and Sveta have bigger and better serves than Ana and Elena do. ;)
what size got to do with it
its what u do with your serve that counts ;)
Nastya just owns Maria ;)
and she's the BOSS when it comes to patriotic match-ups.

the cat
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Myskina won't be the boss forever Eggy. ;) Times are a changin' and the 2004 tennis season is almost over.