PDA

View Full Version : >> Bryanne Stewart <<

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM
She doubles good times on the court

By DAVID FILKINS, Staff writer

First published: Saturday, July 17, 2004

SCHENECTADY -- These are the good days for Bryanne Stewart. She bounces up and down on the tennis court with a smile on her face. She's enjoying herself.

She's earned it. Things haven't always been fine for the 23-year-old Australian and member of World TeamTennis' New York Buzz.

Stewart, who turned pro in 1998, stumbled through the 2003 season after having a career year in 2002. Her singles ranking, as low as 135 in 2002, had tripled in just a year's time, and she considered giving up the sport she had been playing since she was eight years old.

"At that time I was thinking about stopping tennis," Stewart said. "But I realized that I still loved the game.

So rather than toss out her racket, Stewart created a new plan. She had been playing both singles and doubles for the past five years, and was never able to focus on her game.

"I was kind of in two minds all the time, asking myself whether I wanted to play singles or doubles," Stewart said.

The 5-foot-9 blonde's fortune began to change in January at the Australian Open. Stewart was home, with a lots of followers, and had settled on entering just the doubles.

"I went to Melbourne only looking to play doubles," Stewart said. "I really enjoyed playing with Sam (doubles partner Samantha Stosur), and that was the turning point in my life. It was a typical Australian afternoon. There were lots of Aussie's there, they had all been drinking, and they were all hollering for me. It was an unbelievable atmosphere."

Although Stewart and Stosur lost in the first round, suddenly Stewart's game worked. Her serves were harder, her ground strokes more accurate, and her confidence soared.

Stewart has simplified her game since then. She now considers herself a full-time doubles player, and has seen almost immediate results. In the six months since the Australian Open, her doubles ranking has improved to a career-best 71st in the world.

"I'm much happier," Stewart said, "and I am concentrating on just going out there and enjoying myself."

But not every game is a winner. The Buzz lost 20-17 to the defending WTT champion Delaware Smash in front of 800 fans at MVP Stadium in Schenectady. Stewart and playing partner Viktoriya Kutuzova lost 5-1 in women's doubles, but she rebounded to win 5-2 with Justin Bowers in mixed doubles.

But Stewart doesn't beat herself up after losses anymore. She's gradually moving up the tennis ladder, and is content where she is in her life right now. Of the $300,000 Stewart has made as a professional, a large portion of it is used to fly herself around the world simply to compete. Such is life unless you're an elite player with sponsor support.

"It does cost a lot to compete," Stewart said. "But if you're a bit careful, you can still make money. Right now I am just enjoying myself, and waiting to see what happens next."

azza
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Bryanne :D

broncosven
Jul 19th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Quite nice Thx !!

Mr_Molik
Jul 19th, 2004, 02:26 AM
bryanne keep that doubles ranking going up :bounce:

CJK
Jul 29th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Just wondering, is Bryan one of the more popular players on the tour? That's what you hav to be to play WTT right? But I dont understand the reason she does not want to play singles, if she thinks it's costing a lot to compete, shouldnt she be trying to get some money from singles as well? strange decisions, but good to see her play again:).

broncosven
Jul 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Bryanne said that playing singles in too mentally draining and she wasnt enoying her tennis

i would love to see her come back . . im a huge fan and she definately has talent !!

PLZ BRYANNE !!!! COME BACK !!!

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Bryanne said that playing singles in too mentally draining and she wasnt enoying her tennis
Sounds like me! :o That's why I prefers doubles. Yes, I'm better at doubles than singles.

broncosven
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I like both doubles and singles cause in doubles im a great net player and doubles can be move enjoyable but if u enjoy playing then singles can be aswell . . . . Bryanne is a baseliner so its weird why she doesnt play both or likes singles SHE HAS THE GAME !! I think her game against Schyder in Sydney where she got doubled would definately have an effect on that choice

perhaps she spoke to Lisa McShea who has 'retired' from singles and now concentrates on doubles and they are having a contest to see who can win the most in doubles????

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Would be nice if McShea/Stewart team up for 2005 ;)

Mr_Molik
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:27 PM
i hate doubles! im ok at the net, but when im playing doubles i dont know when to cross etc plus i feel so much pressure to play well for my partner
i personally like singles WAY better

broncosven
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Would be nice if McShea/Stewart team up for 2005 ;)

That would be interesting cause if they played challengers they could both players singles aswell !!

broncosven
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM
BRIANNE IS PLAYING QUALIES IN NEW HAVEN !!!!!

35 120 SERRA ZANETTI Antonella ITA
36 386 STEWART Bryanne AUS

YAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :bounce:

azza
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Bry :eek: wow :)

broncosven
Aug 20th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Brianne plays 2morow . . . . .

Would love to see her qualify !! That would be wicked awesome !!

broncosven
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:16 PM
Serra-Zanetti d. Bryanne Stewart 64 63

Still great to see her back playing singles !!

broncosven
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:08 PM
BRYANNE IS IN SINGLES QUALIFYING !!!!!!!!

Japan 1st round
Stewart d. Takase 6-2 6-3

YAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rusty_red_head
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
She won her second round against Spears (Who beat a string of aussie players last year at the 25K's) I think this is a good win

She'll have her work cut out for her next beacuse she plays Peer

broncosven
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Bryanne Stewart (AUS) d. Abigail Spears (USA) 64 16 61

Unfortunately she plays Shahar Peer in next round

CMON BRYANNE !!

broncosven
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:44 AM
WOW !!

So close to an upset . . . . but still has potiential !!

Shahar Peer (ISR) d. Bryanne Stewart (AUS) 46 62 61

Mr_Molik
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:46 AM
gr8 effort bryanne
spears got to the semis in seoul last week! shows that bryanne still has potential as a singles player

broncosven
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Definately

i have no idea why she is only playing doubles with sam !! (and obviously some singles but not enough)

I wish she would come home and play the challenger series here . . . . why wont she play doubles with Lisa Mcshea they are of the same rank and could play more tournaments

azza
Oct 7th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yes Bryanne :D

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Just let you know that I changed the name of thread! :D It was pleasure to see her playing singles earlier this week in Tokyo! :)

TS
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, I was wondering who this Kerni person was.

Very encouraging performances in Japan. Beating Spears and taking a set off Peer who is an up and coming star. That's what happens when you play with no pressure :)

She'll probably stick to doubles and doubles only for a while yet...and possibly in a year or two return to part/full time singles, just like Trudi did.

broncosven
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:29 AM
CMON BRYANNE !!

Sam is a good Influence on her definately . . hope she will play a few more qualifiers in Asia and possibly oz summer ??

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
When will Samantha Stosur play next? Quebec City? If so, Bryanne will play doubles for sure and probably, singles.

broncosven
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Definately

She on the singles comeback campaign !!

CMON BRYANNE !!

Tennis_Passion
Aug 1st, 2005, 12:26 AM
It's quite possible she is going to YEC in doubles....I mean, who other than Rannae has ever done so. Great pair with Stosur and they can become quite an asset for the fed team.

ozfan44
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM
they have split up!

wonder why?

ozfan44
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM
my guess is that both john alexander and sarah stone have something to do with the split!

TS
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM
Maybe it is just temporary?

broncosven
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Maybe Bryanne is looking to her Singles career again ??

A Combo with Trudi would be awesome !!!!

gillibean
Aug 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
why sarah stone who is she?

ozfan44
Aug 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM
stupid lesbian that travels with sam!

SeanyQ
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Has anyone ever seen Sarah Stone play? I saw Sam & Sarah play Navratilova & Shaughnessy in dub's a couple of years ago (6-1,6-0 or 6-0,6-1). She's really bad! Hits 9 errors in a row, followed by an unbelievable winner! She's really inconsistent, I couldn't even imagine what she'd be like in singles.

gillibean
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:20 AM
why does she travel with sam?

Mr_Molik
Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
oh well iveta is like my favourite non-aussie player so im not complaining...
im sure they can both be successful with different partners

ozfan44
Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
bryanne play dubls with casey!

what a great team bryanne loves to wind up on the forehand and casey can cover the back hand coz she is left handed both great dubz players!

hopefully casey can lift her rank up and then play some wta events after us open which would be the perfect time to team up with bryanne!