PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Players- Playing Style

ozfan44
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM
A thread where you can post info on how the aussie players play.
Both men and women and juniors, if you have seen any of the aussie players tell us about their game.

Nicole Sewell
Good Doubles player, serve can be a bit shaky, single handed backhand, slices the ball well and has great volleys. Likes to serve and volley.

Casey Dellacqua
Left handed, big groundstrokes that she can hit with top spin or flatten out, volleys can be a bit dodgy, serve is useful when it gets going , deep heavy groundies are her best weapon.

broncosven
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Well as ive seen from Adidas International . . (although might not reflect there true game as they were playing players ranked way way way above them)

Trudi Musgrave
Very good serve, hits with good slice and top spin , good net play and needs to do it more often

Jaslyn Hewitt
Good alround game but no major weapons besides consistency, more of a baseliner

Bryanne Stewart
Solid game but too cautious and too many errors. Forehand is strong and needs to hit with more power to be more effective

Cindy Watson
Good off both sides and a good serve . . . . just needs more experience after coming back from injury and a bit more speed around the court

Renne Stubbs
Awesome volleyer, Handy serve and good court coverage

Christina Horiatopolous
Still young and will improve into a good player, Great backhand and slice in game

Dubraka Cupac
Strong player, very confident and goes for her shots

Nicole Pratt
Defensive type who's serve need a tweek or too, consistent as always but needs to attack when she gets the chance to more often

Alicia Molik
Great serve and flat ground strokes, Needs to stay more focues at times and come to the net more often

SM
Jul 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
cupac - flat groundies with 2 handed bh - typically baseliner but can volley very well when she goes in - great serve - needs experience

dominikovic daniella - smooth baseline game with 2 handed bh - good volleys - dodgy serve - needs better footwork

tanevska nat - gets everything back - FAST - good 2 handed bh - needs to be more aggressive tho

horiatopolous - good serve - verstaileslice and topspin bh with good depth - needs to learn to hit forehand more aggressive and flatten it out more

engels jessica - nice serve - scrambles everything back - hits with good topspin and slice - 1 haned bh - needs to increase aggression

ferguson - nice slice /topspin bh - average serve and forehand - good speed

ill do more another time :)

azza
Jul 17th, 2004, 11:09 PM
i cant really remember but i know the Jaslyn is very consistant Dubz has a very good serve Reid is very consistent

petey_pan
Jul 18th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Christina Wheeler - very adaptive playing style - changes her game to suit the surface/player she is playing. Fantastic clay court player - hits deep topspin and moves the ball around beautifully bringing alot of players into errors. Very good serve but doesn't hit great serves consistently enough. Loves to come to the net when she gets the opportunity - extremely fast around the court its her best asset but needs more power is overpowered easily by hard hitters.

Samantha Stosur - Great attacking style of play. Dangerous serve - very fast and great variety, also very fast around the court with a strong forehand - sometimes slaps at the backhand and hits it a little too flat. Needs to do more off the return. Mental fragility is biggest problem - when her game isnt working doesnt seem to be able to find a way to win. (Although she did prove me wrong against Sequera in Birmingham)

Evie Dominikovic - Very consistent groundies and possesses a big serve and forehand - plays her best tennis when she is aggressive but doesn't have the confidence to do this lately and loops the ball and hopes her opponent will make an error which has contributed to horrible losses recently. Second serve is also very week. Best match I have seen her play was against Kremer at the Australian Open 03. Played great aggressive tennis - went for all of her shots and played like a top 20 player.

TS
Jul 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
...until the last 2-3 games of the match where she almost blew it :o But yes, played very well in that match.

I think we all know how most of the top 5 Aussie girls play....I'll give some info on some that you may not be aware of

Lara Giltinan - Has some power, and a nice physique, but has very poor shot selection and ball control. Possesses one of the most lethal forehands known to man....but lethal as in S.H.I.T.E. Sprays it everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Back fence, side fence, umpire's chair, you name it. She has an awkward 'face up' forehand and honestly, she needs to change that if she is to progress. I don't really see any determination in her...seems like a lovely kid, but just doesn't have 'it'. WOuld be very surprised to see crack top 400-450.

Deanna Roberts - BIG server. Very powerful serves, and loves to attack. Has average groundies (one handed backhand) but is quite comfortable at net. Think, a heavier version of Alicia Molik (but not as good). Definitely has talent, and given a full schedule playing at the top of her game, I'd say top 300 is realistic.

Tiffany Welford - Strong and steady groundstrokes with reasonable pace. Moves well and is a fit girl. We've seen improvement in her this year, rising up about 400 places, I expect her to crack top 400 soon. Hopefully after OZ challengers will be up to around 350. I don't see her as a serious threat, but she'll do well to get at or near 250-300 :)

Mireille Dittmann - Hits quite flat and hard but lacks in movement. Generates some good pace but doesn't have much of a clue what to do with it. Has done well with what she's got, great achievement to crack top 200 :) (deserves a lot more praise for that fine effort, unfortunately no-one at TA seemed to notice/care)

Beti Sekulovski - Fiesty little player, scrambles for everything and will get most balls back. Hits with heavy topspin on forehand and backhand (one handed) and seems to have quite a lot of game. Not afraid to attack and go for her shots. Has been ravaged by injury the last 18 months, but fully fit she could definitely be a top 200-250 threat (has been as high as 270 already). Very talented girl but seems to get a little ahead of herself at times with impatient errors.

broncosven
Jul 19th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Theres heaps cool and heaps accurate . . ill do some quick guys ive seen at adidas international tonight aswell

broncosven
Jul 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Reid - basically a mini Hewitt - looks, plays and acts the same

Guccione - really laid back and seems almost lethargic on courts at times, serve is a huge weapon

Draper - Really good all round player, needs to work on a way to finish off points faster but has a steady all court game

louloubelle
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=TS]

Deanna Roberts - BIG server. Very powerful serves, and loves to attack. Has average groundies (one handed backhand) but is quite comfortable at net. Think, a heavier version of Alicia Molik (but not as good). Definitely has talent, and given a full schedule playing at the top of her game, I'd say top 300 is realistic. [QUOTE]

Any news?? Haven't seen any results from her for a while??

ozfan44
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks Very much for all the info guys

ozfan44
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
deanna roberts is currently playing the uni open in qld last i looked she was into quater finals also playing there is welford

ozfan44
Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Any info on:

D'Amelio, Szili, Adamczak, Kriz, McShea, Acquistapace, Arnott, Harkness, Williams, Stone (other than she's good at following Sam!), Baker, Barr, Breadmore, Cheung, Dundas, Grahame, Hewson, Pinchbeck, Kersten, Picone & Van Elden????

broncosven
Jul 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Seen a few of em play . . ill do a couple more when i finish work

Mr_Molik
Jul 24th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Any info on:

D'Amelio, Szili, Adamczak, Kriz, McShea, Acquistapace, Arnott, Harkness, Williams, Stone (other than she's good at following Sam!), Baker, Barr, Breadmore, Cheung, Dundas, Grahame, Hewson, Pinchbeck, Kersten, Picone & Van Elden????

mcshea is basically another version of stubbs

louloubelle
Jul 25th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Any info on:

Gaby Baker - more renowned for her skimpy outfits than her tennis IMO! However fairly handy off the ground. Usual two hand backhand and hits a nice clean ball. Footwork sloppy and not much strategy. Basically hits up and down and eventually hopes for a winner or will error herself. Serve & movement nothing of note. Will have to tighten up her game and the mental side top push top 300.

Breadmore - Good scrambler & nice style on the forehand side. However backhand is pushy and serve attackable due to her lack of height and power. Will hope to get every ball back and wear her opponent down, than dictate play. Movement pretty good. Not sure she can crack top 250.

Van Elden - Saw her many years ago and basically I thought she just got the ball back with minimal power. However someone I know saw her and basically said that now all she tries to do is crack the ball ala Capriati and tho one or two balls may fly for a winner, tere are many that don't. This was taken from a match at Aus Open quallies vs. Sabine Klacshka in which Kristen lost 60 60, so it maybe a bit harsh.

rustibikki
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:56 PM
Any info on:

adding some up as well :) this is going from seeing them at melb, and through the challengers last year. correct me if im wrong.

lisa d'amelio - counter puncher. looks to come in and finish at net, single handed backhand and a decent forehand. does most damage with forehand, and slice backhand mixing it up. anticipates well, and has a big heart.

adamczak - has got everything on the day. the only thing lacking in her game is consistency mentally. improving her volley game, and with results in doubs is gaining more confidence to finish it at net. very athletic, can retrieve and attack, sometimes gets too "flashy".

kriz - smart all court player who mixes it up. rarely lets her opponent hit the same shot twice. loses focus too easy, but has the abilty (like in qld) to make it look easy. anticipates extremely well and quite agile, has a lot of tricks in bag. not consistent at times, and flucuates in easy matches.

mcshea - has chosen to concentrate mostly on doubles this year, but is also very athletic. a serve and volleyer who has the experience to get her through matches on a tough day at the office. the proof is in the pudding with the hard work she puts in. one of the only aussie's who dives for volleys, always entertaining to watch.

stoney - talented, but lacks the head and maybe thats just becuase people have written her off and she plays to the crowd too much instead for herself. also entertaining and when she's playing with confidence can be easily underestimated.

baker - baseliner who can attack and defend. quite a good mover, but is a good competitor so she will always be tough to play as she doesnt give you much. good returner.

barr - very athletic, picked up the game a lot later than others so is playing catch up to an extent. once she grows in confidence she'll be getting better results. more physical than mental player.

breadmore - known for her retrieving, ploys and pushing. has gotten more aggressive in the past few months says the players. but still goes back to her old game when it gets tight. good placement on serve and chases everything down. isnt that good at the mental game as she sometimes tries to play games too much with opponent and instead plays them with herself. will do well if she fights her own demons.

cheung - hard worker, good groundies and generally an all court game just lacking in consistency and a big weapon. has had bad luck with injuries, and hopefully will stick with it as its a nice game to watch.

hewson - counter attacker/chip charger/serve volleyer. has also had injuries and is coming back from a good grass court circuit. tough to play her as she's fast and will chase everything and make you hit another one. doesnt play with pace so the opponent has to generate it. has improved with maturity.

picone - good retuner and heavy hitter a la casey dellacqua but a little bit fitter. doesnt have the fluentness as casey or the fiestiness that makes casey a great competitor. might be one to watch out for in the future.

van elden - nut case! if anyone has seen her play its rather amusing. great backhand, and good returns. good retriever and deadly just before the baseline. loses the plot and fights with herself (often loudly) .... often heard from 3 courts down yelling ...Krissten!!!

Mr_Molik
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:14 AM
van elden - nut case! if anyone has seen her play its rather amusing. great backhand, and good returns. good retriever and deadly just before the baseline. loses the plot and fights with herself (often loudly) .... often heard from 3 courts down yelling ...Krissten!!!

lmao sounds like me :o :haha:

broncosven
Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:27 AM
quite insightful rusti !!

ozfan44
Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
i can be heard from 4 courts away on my bad days! yelling a lot worse than my name!
it can be quite embaressing afterwards but i can't help it, i just get so pissed off

thanks so much for all the info guys!

broncosven
Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
i can be heard from 4 courts away on my bad days! yelling a lot worse than my name!
it can be quite embaressing afterwards but i can't help it, i just get so pissed off

Think we all can mate :p

azza
Aug 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Krizzy :D

:kiss: