PDA

View Full Version : Kerryn Pratt (Cheering Thread...)

TS
Jul 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Was just looking at the ITF site and stumbled across the name,

PRATT, Keryn :D (do they have the spelling right though?). Born in 20/06/1959 so it has to be...

...our beloved Channel 9 commentator, who had a brief career in the late 70s and early 80s. To be honest I had no idea of her record as a player, as before she started commentating a few years ago I had never even heard of her before :o

She reached the second round of the Australian Open in 1979, beating the illustrious Chris Newton of NZL 6-3 6-1, before bowing out to the ubiquitous Michele Gurdal of BEL 1-6 4-6. This was her best result.

The last pro singles match she played, according to the ITF, was in Adelaide (on grass) in 1980, where she got smoked by Dianne Morrison of USA in the first round, 6-1 6-2 :sad:

Her win/loss ratio for singles was W-3 L-7.

She fared a little better in doubles, with a win/loss ratio of W-9 and L-21.

Although Kerryn wasn't too successful as a player, she's definitely done well for herself in the media, both as journalist, producer and commentator. I remember she produced a piece on Steffi Graf that aired on 60 minutes about ten years ago, and IMO is one of the better female commentators we have at the moment.

She's also one of the selectors for our Fed Cup team...:tape:

Onya Kezza :D

broncosven
Jul 15th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Isn't she the cousin of Nicole ??

petey_pan
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Keryn rocks! She really know's her stuff. I love it when she gets annoyed at Mark Woodford lol its funny. I think she's definetly better than Liz Smylie etc. Hope she stays around for ages

Mr_Molik
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:50 AM
kerryn is alright....i rather shriver and billie jean king tho
is she related to nicole??

louloubelle
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:43 AM
No relation to Nicole.

Yes, TS it is definitely Keryn!! Don't know much about her tenns exploits - thanx for the info.

She's easy to the ear and obviously well researches her info.

However I rather BJK & Pam also. I like the inside 'info' BJK and Pam get as well their witty comments and ability to generate excitement with their commentary. Even tho they can be a bit sloppy with their research.

Mr_Molik
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:50 AM
However I rather BJK & Pam also. I like the inside 'info' BJK and Pam get as well their witty comments and ability to generate excitement with their commentary. Even tho they can be a bit sloppy with their research.

exactly :worship:
i wish they would come back to channel 7 :sad:

nitocris_tiger
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Still in a huff with her coz she's a Fed Cup selector :drink:

TS
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Back to Ker(r)yn :D

I agree with louloubelle...definitely easy on the ears, and very well prepared. You get the feeling she knows the history of ALL the players, even the Milagros Sequera's and Stephanie Cohen-Aloro's of this world.

Mr_Molik
Jul 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM
i wish she would speak her mind a bit more, she obviously knows her stuff but is a bit boring most of the time

another awesome commentator.....LOUISE PLEMING!!! :hearts: :bowdown: :worship:
y doesnt she get a job on channel 7 or 9 ive only heard her doing hopman cup and wimby on fox sports

petey_pan
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Yeh Louise Pleming rocks.... love listening to her when Hopman Cup is on - she gets so excited but not in an excited way if that makes sense lol..... she's got a good tennis brain - the comentating on the hopman cup is great coz there are no commercials so they sorta analyze strokes and stuff on the changeover it's awesome

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Kerryn Pratt follows tournaments closely, she makes Stolle and Trabert looks like :retard: but honestly she can get hyperactive over little things. She talks about beauty and sex in a boring way IMO, but she's more up to date with that department.

Regarding Smylie, I thought she had some insightful things to say, but she lacked an opinion, sometimes the best she could say was just the score!

I loved it when Shriver used to be a regular commentator on chn. 7, love her or not, she knows the game very well and never is reluctant to say what she thinks.

Personally, i feel we have some very bad commentators out there, Woodforde (can't put a sentence together), Newcombe (he has an opinion which is good but there is a fine line between commentating and being biast), Stolle (ok, but says the same things - how many times has he mentioned the Seles starting the cracking winners of returns thing :zzz: ), Trabert (god, do i need to mention why!), Fitzgerald (too tactical, better as a coach), Alexander (god his voice is too low pitched and "dead"), Stone (he actually isn't too bad), Sandy Roberts (gotta admit he is a tennis dumby but he can entertain you on the littelist of things) ... who else?
um John Barrett so called "voice of tennis" is overated IMO, I don't know what's so special about him, Gary Wilkinson (sacked last year :tape:!) and Martina Hingis (Thank you Captain Obvious!).

Did anyone listen to Navratilova commentate the Pratt-Shaughnessy match at AO, I reckon she was really good, that lady's tennis future will never end... Oh and about ABC's Hopman Cup team, I think Louise Pleming has a nice voice and says some really good tactical stuff during the changeovers. But the rest of the team ruins it, Clinton Grybas was really good but now he's gone and we have that very boring Geoff Masters :tape:

What did you guys think about Roy and H.G, I thought their commentary was a bit too chatty, but with more practice, I think it's more entertaining than listening to an Alexander and Fitzgerald... :p

Mr_Molik
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM
All of the Aussie male ex-players are WAY too biased towards Aussies, especially to Lleyton. They practically cheer for him, and have been overrating him lately(putting him up with Federer and Roddick as favourites for Wimbledon is an example. Lleyton is out of his slump but he is not quite at that level yet)
Other than that, they are fairly knowledgable and interesting. My faves of the Aussie men are Fred Stolle and Pat Cash(he sometimes commentates on Fox Sports).
The worst are John Newcombe(most biased) and Mark Woodforde(hate his voice plus hes boring)

Mr_Molik
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
lol this thread should be renamed the commentators thread or something
poor kerryn :sad:

louloubelle
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:21 PM
JA's commentary is embarrassing, his calling of the early Phillipousis matches in the Aus Open was nauseating - practically saying he was unbeatable etc....

ozfan44
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Well IMO John Barrett is a great commentator and doesnt talk shit or mumble, i love listening to him during the adidas and australia

Louise Plemming is great, she knows what she is talking about, knows most of the current players and knows how to make it exciting

John Alexander, don't get me started on this stupid old fool, who only gets excitied when he watches lleyton play and even then still has one foot in the grave, John Newcombe also favours Lleyton and this pisses me right off

Roy & HG although i like them, i definately hope they don't commentate at the aus open in 2005 they just talked shit

Mark Woodforde and Allan Stone are both pathetic. Peter Wilkins (you nearly ruin the Hopman Cup for me)

I like Liz Smylie and Kerry Pratt they are both good if you ask me but often don't express their opinion enough and when they go to say something they know about the players usually if they are commentating with a male they get rudely interupted

Steve Rabiliard is also a good commentator IMO hes easy to listen to and researches well

TS
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well, this thread was bound to turn into a who's who of the commentating world, so here are my two cents on our commentators :D

Fred Stolle - Senility kicked in long ago. Needs to be put out to pasture. Silly old twit.

Tony Trabert - Unless he's carked it, I think he already has been put out to pasture. Though it's a voice I was introduced to at a very young age so I've grown accustomed. Still, annoying.

John Alexander - Biased fuck knuckle. Pass.

Allan Stone - Ditto. Irritating voice. Use a lozenge.

Wally Masur - Sexist pig. Fuck off

John Newcombe - His knowledge of womes tennis is deplorable but I don't think he gives a shit. I'm not a fan, he can fuck off too.

Liz Smylie - Don't mind her really. She knows what she's on about at least. And her lisp is a staple. Without it there's just no Liz.

Louise Pleming - OK. She's got some inside info on all the players. I like her at Hopman Cup, but when she's working with Masur and Stone she becomes one of the boys and prattles on endlessly. Half the time I think she smokes pot between the change of ends.

Sandy Roberts - God bless him in all his clueless glory. He's a great host though, but a cringeworthy commentator at times.

Bruce McAvaney - I can't stand him, but he knows the sport very well. Also cringeworthy at times (well, most of the time).

John Barrett - He knows his shit at least. I don't mind him as he is one of the old school brigade I grew up with in the 80s. Although there are only so many 'yes she's done it!' one can hear in a lifetime.

Mark Woodforde - I don't really have a problem with his comments, but his voice irritates me.

Virginia Wade - We used to have her on Fox Sports. She sounded like she had a pole up her ass half the time.

Kerryn Pratt - :D

ABC commentators - Can be lumped into one group. They are cheap looking, ugly and boring.

This post was brought to you by Jack & Coke ;)

azza
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Fred Stolle - Senility kicked in long ago. Needs to be put out to pasture. Silly old twit.

Wally Masur - Sexist pig. Fuck off

omg :haha: :yeah:

ozfan44
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
MFAO at all of your comments TS

thanks for a good laugh

Mr_Molik
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:40 AM
lmao TS

especially louise pleming smoking pot at change of ends :haha:

louloubelle
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
This post was brought to you by Jack & Coke ;)How many Jack & Cokes :confused:

I reckon one, considering the post had no grammar mistakes!

One pot screamer!!!! ;)

petey_pan
Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
I think Roy and HG were hilarious - calling Silvija Talaja catwoman.... they made it so interesting to watch, sure they know very little about tennis but I found myself almost crying at how funny they were, really hope they do it again next year.

TS
Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
How many Jack & Cokes :confused:

I reckon one, considering the post had no grammar mistakes!

One post screamer!!!! ;)

Edit function :lol:

Even after a few, I'm still as eloquent as ever :angel:

louloubelle
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:54 AM
Edit function :lol:
Even after a few, I'm still as eloquent as ever :angel:
Speaking of spelling mistakes, i was meant to say 'One pot screamer' not 'post' :rolleyes: ;)

AUSBOY
Jul 24th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Keryn Pratt kicks arse, best commentator by far. Her knowledge is impeccable, she never makes a mistake where as Shriver, Smylie, Woodforde, Newcombe, Stolle always get their facts wrong!!!!!!