PDA

View Full Version : Article on Maria Sharapova's WTA debut.

the cat
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I have located a Maria Sharapova article from the San Diego Union Tribune. Maria is getting bigger and bigger. She's now 5'9" tall and 109 pounds. But she's still not nearly strong enough to compete regualarly on the WTA tour.

The article is located at www.uniontrib.com/sports/20020305-9999_1s5tennis.html

sartrista7
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Good article, thanks Cat, I'm looking forward to seeing Maria play in the future. But the article says she has four victories over top 300 players - :confused: I only remember one victory for Maria so far, over Teryn Ashley - she lost in the 1st round of the 2001 Challenger she played and the 2nd a couple of weeks back, if I remember correctly.
Anyway, as long as she's not pushed too hard all will be well, she's still 14 and there's plenty of time. Udachi Masha! :bounce:

the cat
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:28 PM
sartrista7, you are very observant. Maria's agent said that she has beaten 4 players in the top 300 in the last 2 weeks. As far as I know, Maria has only won one ITF Challenger match. Maybe her agent is talking about practice matches at Bollettieri's.

I just hope Maria isn't overwhelmed by the occassion. And over the next couple of years, I hope she adds about 15 or 20 pounds to her frame. She's going to need to get alot stronger if she expects to thrive on the WTA tour, where the Amazons dominate the lightweights. And Maria at 5'9" tall and 109 pounds, is definately a lightweight.

Udachi Maria!

sartrista7
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Thankyou cat! It's very encouraging if he is talking about practice sessions, it confirms that Masha has more than she's shown us on the ITF circuit so far.

the cat
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:33 PM
You're very welcome.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:06 PM
IMG also owns Miami event and thats alot closer and she's used to that arena as well.

that would have been better

Masha has played 1 $75K and 1 $25K event

the cat
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Why would the Ericsson have been better for Maria's debut, Eggy? The Ericsson will have a much stronger field than Indian Wells. If you had told me that Maria would play Brie Rippner in her first WTA match, I would have been pleased. Maria has a chance. She will have to play well to beat Rippner. But atleast she won't be crushed the way she would have been if one of the WTA heavyweights had gotten a hold of her. Udachi Maria!