PDA

View Full Version : Danilidou vs Vento-Kabchi report

bis2806
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Okay i got to the stadium near the end of the 2nd set and there were some really good rallies from both of these players. they look to be in a good shape and some of the games were very close and intense. Rarely did these players make unforced errors so it was really fun to watch them both play. Eleni ocassionally sliced her balls, but both players were playing powerful baseline rallies throughout the match. The first set was quite exciting, maria was eager to finish off the 2nd set but eleni fought her way back and she seemed to look stronger. Although Maria was down, she didn't give up and she maintained her baseline play. Later though in the tiebreak, eleni produced some really good shots and she was able to take advantage to win the 2nd set. the rubber set was especially exciting in the first few games as they took a game each one after another. They both produced really amazing shots that was well angled and vento was particularly impressive with her groundstrokes. She played the ball so well that eleni had to slice her balls some of the time. at one of point near the end of the 3rd set, eleni thought she was getting injured as she held her thigh for second after being stretched by vento. but it turned out it was all right and vento blew a 3-0 lead later in the tiebreak. It went to eleni's favour and she had a matchpoint but vento hit and really good backhand down the line and the match got tighter. when it was 7-6 for vento, she was able to take full advantage and she won the tiebreak but didn't look too contented. I guess it was a really exhausting match and danilidou wasn't upset or anything. both players gave it their all so it was good to see that. Afterwards, vento had a remote control in her hand she was racing against this kid. They had to control the car as it went around the net. Vento was really funny because her toy car hit a plank and she wasn't able to move it backwards :lol: prior to that she had an on court interview and she thought that eleni is "a tough player" and that vento stayed in there and "be positive". So that was the key in the match.

Anyways, i can't write anymore it's 1 am here, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask :)

Joe

ghosts
Jul 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks bis2806 :)
too bad Eleni lost

bis2806
Jul 13th, 2004, 08:37 AM
yeah eleni wasn't in a good shape when she was practising a couple of days ago... harkleroad was practising with her and she hit the ball better than eleni could... but eleni had a matchpoint so it was potentially hers, but vento fought back :)

GoSandrine
Jul 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the report.

Eleni :sad: At least she was competitive which is more than many of her previous matches. I really hope she gets her groove going as I'm sure she wants to peak for Athens. :kiss:

forever_rafter
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Poor Eleni ;-(

Masharapova
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Okay i got to the stadium near the end of the 2nd set

The first set was quite exciting, maria was eager to finish off the 2nd set

I Thought You Said You Didn't See The First Set? :confused:

wongqks
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
may I ask how many people is in the stadium?

danielrosario
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I Thought You Said You Didn't See The First Set? :confused:
An astute observation, Aeaea :)

labkin
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM
I saw the whole match, and I have to disagree. I don't think Eleni played well. Her serve was off and she made many errors. I don't think she was happy. Although she was able to bring it to a third set and make it a close match, she had many chances, but blew them. I think she knows she should have won.

geegables
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM
thanks for the match report ! i read while i was in l.a that vento made consecutive double faults? anyway its good to hear about maria vento kabchi:) thanks!