PDA

View Full Version : Maria not participating in olympics

Sidney1984
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:49 PM
What a joke, this is because there are supposedly 4 russian women who are better than her. She has just won wimbledon and is BY FAR better and more respected than any other player yet she is not allowed to play in the olympics. She should be allowed to choose whether she wants to play in the olympics as the wimbledon champion.

houseoflords
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:24 PM
the russian olympic team was chosen based on rankings some time before wimbledon. at that time there were 4 others ahead of her. that's why she isn't on the team.

adele_eve
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Its a real shame she'll miss it but Maria is only young and will have her chance in the next olympics. The plus side of her missing the olympics is that she can get herself ready for the US Open, which could prove more important if she does well.

Sidney1984
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:28 PM
They should at least make an exception for Maria. I mean she says she really wants to play, she is head and shoulders above any other russian player so I think the people who organises this should use a bit of common sense. Does everyone agree?

houseoflords
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM
They picked the team based on the rankings of June 14. I wouldn't say she's head and above any Russian player. Myskina is very good. I think not playing in the Olympics this time around may be good for Maria. It is close to the US Open and would hut her preperation for that. With the Olympics being in Athens, that would mean another cross-Atlantic flight and looking at her the past few days, I don't think she's in the mood for another one of those. Sh'ell get her chance

Songbird
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I think not playing in the Olympics this time around may be good for Maria.

I also think that after all the hype of winning Wimbledon there would be almost too much pressure on her if she went to the Olympics this year. It could create a huge anti-climax if she didn't so well there. The expectations on her will be huge enough at the US Open without adding the Olympics into the equation...

substanza
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hello every1, im new to this forum and this is my first post :)

But anyways, I think they should have chosen Maria in the first place, now it´s too late to change the team... But she will get her chance in the Olympics in the future...

houseoflords
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:23 PM
They couldn't have just chosen her in the first place. The rules for selecting are set in stone. The only way they could've cosenher is if one of the others declined to go. She'll be there in 4 years. I think its good for her to concentrate on the US Open. She got bounced there early last year and I'm sure wants to improve that result.

Edward.
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Defeated in the second round by Emilie Loit.

She has much to build on.

Voevoda
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM
I think it is a real pity she won't participate in the Olympic games. She has a brillant sporting form this summer, better than Petrova, for example, who will go to Athens.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:03 AM
They picked the team based on the rankings of June 14. I wouldn't say she's head and above any Russian player. Myskina is very good. I think not playing in the Olympics this time around may be good for Maria. It is close to the US Open and would hut her preperation for that. With the Olympics being in Athens, that would mean another cross-Atlantic flight and looking at her the past few days, I don't think she's in the mood for another one of those. Sh'ell get her chance

I totaly agree with you she needs to rest and get ready for the us open because she obviously is a favourite to win!!!! :worship:
Ive got to say i dont agree with you saying shes not head and above any russian player because she is, shes the best and i think most ppl on this sitewould agree with me!!! :)
But saying that im not disrespecting your comment plz dont be mad!! :angel:

WELL DONE MARIA (WIMBLEDON CHAMPION 2004!) :worship:

Edward.
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:14 AM
I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves claiming Maria is favourite for the US Open. I think most would be satisfied with a quarter final run. Hard courts are vastly different to grass courts. Maria's success depends on how well she adapts to the surface.

houseoflords
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:36 AM
She has had a better summer than most of them but it's all about rankings when it comes to the Olympic selection. It may not be the best system but that's the way it is. I still think it's better for her not to be playing the Olympics this time around. She;s gonna need the rest and preparation over here to get ready for the US Open. She has much to prove there.

nouf
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I WANT FRANCE RUSSIAN!

i will see maria in france!

yeahh! come on!

altemix
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Yeah, its a shame that Maria will not paticipate in Olympics, but on the other hand houseoflords is right that not participating in Olympics Maria will have better preporations for the US Open. It will be definetily in this case and US Open is more important tournament that Olympics. As we know Olympics is the most important sports forum for basketball, hockey and athletics. But for tennis most important tournaments is the Grand Slams, that is obvious.

Go Maria! Win more titles! :)

houseoflords
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Maria isn't head and shoulders above Myskina yet. She'll be the best by far in the near future. However, you can't say that right now. They have won the last two Grand Slam titles. Myskina did beat Maria at the Aussie Open this year. Maria is the more talented player but isn't head and shoulders above Myskina. Myskina's been pretty consistent and is #4 in the world right now. As for being a favorite at the US Open, she'll probablybe the 5th pick. Serena, Henin-Hardenine, Capriati and Venus will be favored ahead of her. While you can make an argument for Maria to be favored ahead of them, it won't happen. Henin-Hardenin is the defending champ and the rest are all Americans and that'll get them favored status. Maria can win the Open, but I don;t think she's the favorite. I'd love to see her win it because I'll be there working so that'd be great. I was on court for the trophy ceremonies last year so that would be really awesome if Maria won it

Edward.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I still believe Nastya is best Russian right now and her rankings reflect this. But Nastya has been around longer than Maria and I have no doubt Maria will catch her up in the near future. Needless to say, their next encounter will be a very interesting match.

Sidney1984
Jul 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Within 2 years, I can garantee Maria Sharapova will be world no1 with many grand slams won. Without being biased, I have never seen anyone as talented as her at the age of 17.

altemix
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
To Sidney1984:
Except Martina Hingis but :) Maria is along with her.

Vass22
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I think That Petrova deserves to have a chance in possibly her last Games. Don't you? Maria still has atleast two Olympics to look forward to, unlike some players... And there's no Question about Sveta's, Nastya's or Lena's participation.

Sidney1984
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Altemix,
I terms of tennis skill maria=hingis, but when thats equal we need to compare looks, and maria is much better looking although hingis is quite nice.

Sidney1984
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:51 PM
to vass22,
Ok give her a last chance for the olympics, BUT Maria is far better than the other 3 u mentioned, and its just so stupid that they name the olympic squad before wimbledon.

Doc
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:27 AM
They should either have saved a wild card for Maria, or held over the selection rankings till after Wimbledon. Maria is one of the top players now and should be at the Olympics.

The system is silly in that if she'd been any other nationality but Russian, she'd have qualified, even on her 14 June rank of 15.

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 03:23 AM
The system is what it is. It's been that way. A set date is chosen and they go by those rankings. There are no wild cards in the Olympics. Each country gets so many.

Myskina is the best Russian right now. Maria isn't far behind will be the best in the near future. Myskina has been around a little longer and has earned her place. Maria is catching up quickly. Maria needsto beat Myskinato secure her spot as the top Russian. It would rally interesting if they ended up in the same quarter at the US Open.

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Sidney, it isn't your arguement that Maria is the best Russian player that I;m contending. A strong case can bemade for that even if I think Myskina is the top Russian right now. The main part I'm disputing is that she is far better than the others. I think the results prove that Myskina is one of the best players in the world right now. Maria is now on that top level. She has to stay there, which I think she will

Sidney1984
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't say myskina and dementieva are better than Sharapova, as proven in the french open final 2004. It was the shittest game ever, the standard was so low it was like for amateurs. Whereas at wimbledon, the Sharapova games were of the highest standards ever to be seen at wimbledon.

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Ever to be seen at WImbledon? That'sa little too high of praise. Too many double faults on Maria'spart and too many forehand errors to say it's the highest standardever seen at Wimbledon. She has a long way to go to match Steffi Graf's standards at Wimbledon.

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Maria is better than Elena I think. Just because of her serve. Maria and Myskina are very close with Maria on the charge. Maria has to turn her Wimbledon success into hardcourt success. To do that, she needs to clean up her forehand about. It's a little to sporatic. If Maria wins the US Open, you'll get no arguments from me. Until then or if she beats Myskina, I believe Myskina holds a slim advantage as the best Russian.

adele_eve
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Within 2 years, I can garantee Maria Sharapova will be world no1 with many grand slams won. Without being biased, I have never seen anyone as talented as her at the age of 17.
Are'nt you forgetting about Martina Hingis???

Sidney1984
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Are'nt you forgetting about Martina Hingis???

That includes martina hingis, so no i am not forgetting. They are similar standard but maria is better looking, so she wins overall.

Sidney1984
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Ever to be seen at WImbledon? That'sa little too high of praise. Too many double faults on Maria'spart and too many forehand errors to say it's the highest standardever seen at Wimbledon. She has a long way to go to match Steffi Graf's standards at Wimbledon.

Considering the huge amount of double faults she did, she still managed to win all her games well and the championship, shows her true class. Therefore, best ever player.

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Best ever player? Not quite yet. One grand slam title doens't make you the best player ever. Yes she still managedt o win despite her double faults or errors. That shows her determination and will to win. It doesn't make her the best ever. She has to win a few more Wimbledons to be the best WImbledon player and a lot more grand slams to be considered the best ever player. She's only 17. A little early for the coronation

houseoflords
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Maria. I think she's a great player. Her run was great. It was an awesome accomplishment. It isn't the greatest form or it isn't the best run ever. To be the best form, you have to nearly flawless for pretty much the whole tournament. To have the best run, all the top players have to be there and you have to beat several of them. Maria beat two of the best players at Wimbledon. Two of the best players weren't there though. This doesn't take away from the triumph at all. But, you have to have the to be a true test. However, greatest player ever at a tournament or in tennis period is earned over time. You have to accomplish it over and over again to merit that title. Grass is Maria's best surface. Wimledon will probably be her best Grand Slam. I think she'll win the Australian Open and the US Open at some point. She probably could win the French. However, I think she'll win more Wimbledon's than any other Grand Slam. She a chance to be the best ever at WImbledon but she has a long way to go to catch the greats

Sidney1984
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I miswrote something in my previous message. I meant she has the potential to become the best ever tennis player of all time. I reckon she will dominate wimbledon for years to come and maybe do well in the other grand slams as well. Do u think so?

houseoflords
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I agree with you there. Wimbledon will be her best Grand Slam I think. She can win the others if she cleans a few things up in her game. The biggest thing for her is to keep her focus on tennis. I know she wants to be the best and wants to win. She just has to be sure to keep the modelling and endorsements deals in check. She has to say no sometimes which I think she will.

Songbird
Jul 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM
she has the potential to become the best ever tennis player of all time. I reckon she will dominate wimbledon for years to come and maybe do well in the other grand slams as well. Do u think so?

I'm butting into your debate here, sorry, but I agree with you about her potential to become one of the best players. Also, Wimbledon is clearly her favourite Slam - and the most suited to her style of play - so I'm convinced that this year's win won't be her only one there.

I was lucky enough to see her first senior match at Wimb last year (although I'd only gone to watch it as my mate supported Ashley Harkleroad who she was playing against lol). Anyway, you could tell from that match that she was a champion in the making - she already had a certain 'something' that set her apart from other new-comers.

I saw her first two matches 'live' at Wimb this year too - and it was clear that she had already stepped up a gear or two from last time. It's even more apparent when you watch her matches from court-side how focused she stays throughout a match and fights for literally every point. Those qualities are what I think will also help her to win the other Slams, even though the surfaces might not suit her as much as Wimbledon - she'll find a way to win, no matter what!

houseoflords
Jul 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM
She definitely has the qualities, especially mentally, to win all of the slams. She needs to clean up her forehand a little. She has too many wild errors on that. She fixes that up and her game his solid all around. Cutting down on the double faults will definitely help too. She has time to do that. She is only 17

Sidney1984
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:17 PM
houseoflords,
She has the talent AND looks, we cannot underestimate the importance of good looks and she is the only player with both attributes. Is her forhand a weak part of her game? She only gets many double faults cos she wants to hit a really hard 2nd serve, so thats not too bad as proven in wimbledon.

PS, Who is Maria Kirilenko?

Edward.
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Maria Kirilenko is another Russian Tennis female, who, together with Masha, won the Birmingham doubles title before Wimbledon.

http://www.mariakirilenko.com/img/gal5/05.jpg

houseoflords
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Oh I know maria Kirilenko. She is my personal favorite. I was fortunate enough to talk to her a lot last summer during her New YOrk swing. What a sweet girl

Mordan
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM
She definitely has the qualities, especially mentally, to win all of the slams.

I think grass players have a really hard time winning the French Open.
Hingis never won Roland Garros for instance. Nor Pete Sampras for that matter, and Sampras is one of the best player all time.

Steffi Graf will always stay the best female player ever.

look at her stats

http://www.wtatour.com/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?ID=&EntityID=1&CustomerID=0&OrderID=0&ReturnURL=/&PlayerID=70044

She won 6 RGs!!! (i remember watching her last victory on TV in 99)

Sidney1984
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Mordan,
I think Graf could be overtaken by Sharapova if she fulfils her potential. I mean when Sharapova plays, you can garantee that 90%+ of audience will be supporting her ahead of her opponent which would help her.

houseoflords
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Sharapova can overake Graf but she has a long way to go. Stefi was good for so long and won a ton of Grand Slams. Maria needs to avoid injury and burnout to do this. THe burnout I don't think will be a problem because she seems to be very smart about that. She just pulled out of the JP Morgan Chase tournament in LA because she isn't ready mentally or physically. She said she needs a rest. This a smart move.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:33 PM

I totally agree she is truely talented and one of a kind im definatly backing your predictions :)

Maria sharapova #1 in my heart :hearts:

andrewbroad
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Sadly, the Athens 2004 Olympics will be without the Wimbledon champion, as the Russian team had already been selected before Maria won Wimbledon: Anastasia Myskina, Elena Dementieva, Nadia Petrova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

As I understand it, Russia can only have one player to substitute for any Russian who pulls out, and that substitute is Vera Zvonareva.

Maria: "I did want to play the Olympics, but this is just the start of my career. I'm sure the time will go very fast and I hope to make the team in four years."

ITF secretary general Debbie Jevans: "It is a shame, I agree - but all the places have been allocated now. The problem is being on a team that is so strong."

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maria_sharapova/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:36 AM
she'll have to win a Golden Slam next time that the olympics come!!!