PDA

View Full Version : It's Anna Time!!!

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Anna Kournikova prepares to lead the attack for the Kansas City Explorers in the Western Conference. She will make her WTT debut on Tuesday, July 6, as the Kansas City Explorers visit the New York Sportimes at Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck, N.Y.

There are no tournaments this week. This is my WTT 2004 thread.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Vika will be on the NY Buzz WTT team with Navratilova.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Vika plays tomorrow in Delaware.

cool_olga
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Very cool Anna on court again? Wohoo

TartarVicario
Jul 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Go Anna.Show your skill at net :)

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Vika plays tonite. Anna plays July 6, 8, 9, and 10.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Vika beat Reeves, in one set. You should have beat her at Indian Wells. I would have tape of you then.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Anna plays tonight.

The Explorers head into this season, which begins with a match against the New York Sportimes at 6:30 tonight in Mamaroneck, N.Y., with a more varied mix of veterans and youngsters. They have a renewed hope of finding what it takes to be a consistent winner in the 10-team World TeamTennis pro league.

KV
Jul 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Fantastic Anna plays :)

the cat
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Is Anna playing singles this year in WTT? I hope so.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I think so. I'm sure there will be articles tomorrow.

the cat
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:38 PM
GL, I wish you were attending the WTT event in Mamaroneck, New York. You could then write a report for us on the nights action.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I don't know where it is. How about you go and write it?

Ted Watts
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Good luck to Anna! I hope I get to ump

the cat
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:05 AM
GL, you don't know where Mamaroneck is? I would like to go but my back is bothering me and I don't want to sit in the car for 2 hours driving there. Besides Mamroneck is alot closer to Queens than Suffolk County is. ;) Anyway GL if Anna is playing tonight in Mamaroneck then it's too late for either of us to go.

But Anna and Maria Sharapova the Wimbledon champion are in the same vicinity at the same time. :) Maybe they will run into each other. :D

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:13 AM
I just did a mapquest, and it's only 25 miles from me. If I knew that, I might have gone.
But I wouldn't go alone at night out of the city.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Anna just played doubles. She won with Talaja, then lost in mixed. No singles.

Ted Watts
Jul 7th, 2004, 02:58 AM
I'm so happy to see Anna back!

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Me too. But I thought she would play singles.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Explorers keep it close, but lose opener

http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
The Kansas City Star
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif

Three of five sets went to tie breakers, but a lopsided set in men's singles doomed the Explorers in their season opener Tuesday.

The Explorers lost 22-19 to the New York Sportimes in Mamaroneck, N.Y.

The Sportimes gained an early lead when their men's doubles team of Hermes Gamonal and Joe Sirianni edged Explorers David Macpherson and Alex Kim by the narrowest of margins, 5-4, 5-4 in the tie breaker.

But, the Explorers' women quickly brought them back, and they took a slight lead following Silvija Talaja's tie-breaker singles victory over Bea Bielik and Talaja's and Anna Kournikova's 5-3 win over Bielik and Ruxandra Dragomir in women's doubles.

The downfall for the Explorers, however, came in the next set, when Kim was able to win just one of six games in men's singles against New York's Gamonal.

Gamonal and Bielik then finished off the Sportimes' victory with a tie breaker win in mixed doubles over Kournikova and Macpherson.

The Explorers have today off before taking on the New York Buzz at 6 p.m. Thursday in Schenectady, N.Y. They then play in Hartford, Conn., against the FoxForce on Friday before playing host to their home opener at 7:35 Saturday night against the Philadelphia Freedoms at the Plaza Tennis Center.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Anna playing WTT -

http://www.thejournalnews.com/sportsgallery/070704/images/11.jpg

http://www.thejournalnews.com/sportsgallery/070704/images/10.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Vika lost to Cargill 5-2 -

http://www.timesunion.com/shared/graphics/newsdb/040707tennis.jpgThe Ukraine's Viktoriya Kutuzova, 15, returns a volley during a World TeamTennis game at Central Park in Schenectady. (Angela Bishop / Times Union)

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Anna and Talaja -

http://www.thejournalnews.com/sportsgallery/070704/images/14.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Anna playing WTT -

http://www.thejournalnews.com/sportsgallery/070704/images/13.jpg

Ted Watts
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Anna's tummy seems a little less flat.

Work on that, dear.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Anna looks like $50 million bucks. Vika looks good too.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:43 AM
She's Ba-ack
KC Explorers hope for a Kourni-copia of wins. SAT 7/10
We understand the worst team in a league gets the first-round draft pick, but did the Philadelphia Freedoms have to choose Patrick Rafter? We would have enjoyed seeing his mug plastered all over town as the Kansas City Explorers' marquee player. Instead, we got everyone's favorite blond, leggy Russian, Anna Kournikova. The Explorers have secured her position on the team for a second year, back injury be damned. The Explorers host the Freedoms for the season's home opener at 7:35 p.m. Saturday at the Plaza Tennis Center (4747 J.C. Nichols Parkway). Silvija Talaja, Alex Kim, David Macpherson and Rachel McQuillan make up the rest of the five-person team, which is coached by Paul Smith, head tennis pro at Mission Hills Country Club. Tickets are $35 and $65; call 913-362-9944 for more information.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Having abandoned the juniors scene at the tender age of 15 to pursue her WTA Tour dreams, Viktoriya Kutuzova does not lack for ambition. With her confident walk and long blonde braided ponytail, she could evoke comparisons to Anna Kournikova (who will be in town to face the Buzz on Thursday night). There are definite similarities in their games: Kutuzova is a hard-hitting baseliner who, at this stage of her career, lacks consistency and modulation. Ansley Cargill seemed content to keep the ball in play while Kutuzova forced the action, aiming for the lines and often missing by a mere inch or two. Before long, the American southpaw had eased her way to a 3-0 lead. Kutuzova did hold serve to 1-3, but Buzz coach Jolene Watanabe was still eagerly giving her instructions, even following her out to the court after the changeover.

Cargill staved off a couple break chances in Game 5, holding when Kutuzova's lunging volley found the net. Game 6 also went to deuce and Cargill appeared to have the set on her racket as he struck a nice forehand approach. Kutuzova had the answer, though, lacing a forehand pass down the line to hold for 2-4. After a slow start, Viktoriya was showing real flashes of potential. A beautiful running forehand winner in Game 7 earned her another break opportunity. Cargill, however, held firm. She put away a smash to bring up game point and promptly launched a service winner to wrap up the 5-2 set. Good stuff from Ansley, who's scheduled to be back in Schenectady a couple weeks from now for a USTA $50k women's challenger tournament

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Good luck to Anna! I hope I get to ump
Mr. Watts, have you ever been the umpire at an Anna match?

Ted Watts
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Mr. Watts, have you ever been the umpire at an Anna match?
Never at my precious Wimbledon.

It's too bad I didn't get to work the 1997 Semifinal. The ump there cheated!

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:16 AM
If you worked WTT matches, you would get the chance.

Ted Watts
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Even they won't hire me.

However, I'm sure there's a place for an incompetent dirtball like me.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
As always, spotlight on Kournikova

07/08/2004
By Jim Fuller

Special to The Register Citizen

MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- It was a few minutes before 8 on a glorious Tuesday evening when "Anna Time" hit Harbor Island in all of its blonde ponytailed glory.

When the other members of the Kansas City Explorers and players from the host New York Sportimes made their ways onto the court for the World Team Tennis match, polite applause filled the newly-constructed tennis court. Then the marketing bonanza known as Anna Kournikova sauntered onto the deco turf and the idol worshipping began. The non-stop parade of cameras clicking followed the women’s tennis glamour queen’s every step.

When she took the court about an hour later for a doubles match, Kournikova again was the center of attention. It was hardly a unique phenomenon for Kournikova, who has been turning heads for nearly a decade now. When she crushed a forehand return winner, the crowd roared its approval. When she promptly hit the next shot into the bottom of the net, they shared her disappointment.

Welcome to the Anna Kournikova love fest. After opening Tuesday in Westchester, N.Y., Kournikova and the Explorers traveled to Schenectady, N.Y., for today’s match against the New York Buzz. On Friday at 7 p.m., The Apple Arena at Blue Fox Run Golf Course in Avon, Conn., will be the site of Kournikova’s first appearance in the Nutmeg State since the 1998 Pilot Pen.

It figures to be quite a show. And the tennis shouldn’t be that bad, either.

A persistent back injury has forced Kournikova off the tour for the last 16 months. Kournikova is using this Eastern WTT swing as a testing ground for both her game and her back. She is expected to play women’s doubles and mixed doubles in Schenectady and Avon as she did in Kansas City’s 22-19 loss to the Sportimes. She is just glad to be playing tennis again.

"It is something that I love to do, first of all, and something that I still want to do," said Kournikova, who peaked at No. 8 in the WTA singles rankings in 2000 and won two Australian Open doubles titles with Martina Hingis. "I always (wonder) what is the next step after this. I will always play tennis only because I love it, never because I have to. I don’t have to do anything really, that is the most important thing.

"I have been on the tour for a very long time and I have had to deal with a lot of injuries. It is frustrating, but I tell myself that I am an athlete and I have to deal with it. It comes with what I do."

Kournikova has always taken heat for failing to win a WTA tour singles title. Her critics point to her side ventures, including modeling and her basically just being Anna Kournikova, in keeping her from reaching her full potential as a tennis player. Ever since Maria Sharapova, another attractive blonde Russian tennis phenom, defeated Serena Williamsto become the second youngest women’s champion at Wimbledon in the Open era, Kournikova bashing has been raised to an art form.

Sharapova, 17, has been dubbed the "Anti-Anna" and known as the Russian beauty who wins on tour. Kournikova made her way from Russia as a youngster and enrolled in the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Sharapova followed the same road to tennis prominence. Kournikova has been aware of the attempt to contrast her checkered tour history with Sharapova’s meteoric rise.

"You guys are going to talk about whatever you want to anyways," Kournikova said. "It is not like I have any control over it or I pay attention to it. I have been in this situation long enough to learn what to read and what not to read. It is probably worse for the other (Russian) players because they are always being compared to me. I am happy (for Sharapova), it is great for the game. I want the game of tennis to be awesome, I want young kids to get involved in it."

Kournikova also wants to return to the tour. She was reluctant to set a timetable, although there has been talk recently about her looking to come back in February 2005.

"It is hard to say right now," said Kournikova, who teamed with Silvija Talaja to beat Bea Bielik and Ruxandra Dragomir 5-3 in women’s doubles before pairing with David MacPherson in a 5-4 loss to Bielik and Hermes Gamonal in mixed doubles on Tuesday. "I am probably going to be evaluated after (this week). The problem with my back is that I can’t play for a very long period of time. If I play for two weeks, four hours a day that is when it really starts to bother me. I can play an hour, an hour and a half every day and it doesn’t bother me. It bothers me if I play four hours a day and that is what I really need to do to play on the tour. We’ll see how it goes but hopefully I can get back because I really want to play."

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:54 PM
If Anna plays singles tonight, she would play Vika.

Still abuzz about Anna
Kournikova the hot ticket for tonight's TeamTennis match in Schenectady

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer
First published: Thursday, July 8, 2004

Latham filled the showroom at an Acura dealership on Wednesday afternoon.
Not a soul was there to look at the cars.

The main attraction was Anna Kournikova, a 23-year-old Russian beauty who will play World TeamTennis at 7 tonight at Central Park in Schenectady.

Kournikova, who hasn't competed on the WTA Tour in more than a year because of back problems, will lead the Kansas City Explorers (1-0) against the New York Buzz (0-2).

She held a news conference Wednesday at Northeast Acura, a Buzz sponsor, where she fielded questions about her long layoff from competition and her well-publicized good looks, among other things.

"I miss being on tour," Kournikova said. "I just miss being on the court. I miss the adrenaline when there's 10,000 people and you're playing a night match."

She said she's competing in her second WTT season to get back into tennis shape.

Central Park seats only 2,300, but Buzz owner Nitty Singh said Wednesday that tickets were still available at $45 for reserved seats, $30 for general admission. The price is $15 for Buzz matches that don't feature a marquee player.

Still, Kournikova remains wildly popular, no small feat for someone who never has won a singles title.

She ranked sixth last year on Sports Business Daily's list of the most marketable female athletes. She was featured in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue last winter and was selected in 1998 as one of People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People.

She dressed conservatively on Thursday, wearing a red warmup suit and a matching baseball cap over her blond hair.

Kournikova insisted she never intended to become a sex symbol.

"Everybody says it's been packaged or marketed," she said. "I wore whatever I liked, I did whatever I wanted to do, and it was never planned or branded or marketed. I never even knew those words until a couple of years ago. I just played tennis, and I wanted to be on the court."

Success on the court has been elusive. She has only reached the singles semifinals of a major tournament once, when she lost to Martina Hingis at Wimbledon in 1997.

Kournikova did team with Hingis to win two Grand Slam doubles titles.

She rose as high as eighth in the world in 2000 but doesn't currently have a ranking because of her inactivity.

But her impact can be felt in the new generation of Russian players who are beginning to dominate women's tennis. Maria Sharapova upset Serena Williams to win Wimbledon last Saturday, and Anastasia Myskina won the French Open in June.

"Anna helped us understand that we could be the same as her," Myskina told Sports Illustrated, "or even better."

Kournikova said she was pleased for Sharapova.

"I think it's great for tennis," she said. "I think it's really important to have new players and new personalities and new games. Everybody always knew and expected her to be a great player because she's always been a child prodigy."

And now Sharapova, who also has a fashion model's looks, is poised for superstardom. But there's only one Kournikova, who on Thursday again declined to address rumors that she has married Latin pop star Enrique Iglesias.

"I think a lot of people would like to know, no?" Kournikova responded coyly.

She also left in the air whether she'll ever return to the pro tour. Injuries have kept her from playing since she dropped out of the Family Circle Cup on April 9, 2003.

"I hate not knowing," she said. "It's very, very difficult. I don't want to say, 'Oh, maybe in three months,' because then if I don't, they're going to say I'm retired. I don't want to give it any time frame because I really don't know."

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Anna Kournikova in town
7/8/2004 3:11 PM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/media/2004/7/8/images/01__anna.jpg http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifTennis star Anna Kournikova is in the Capital Region this week.

She will be playing against The Buzz with the Kansas City Explorers at Central Park in Schenectady.

Kournikova held a news conference on Wednesday and she talked about the allure of world team tennis.

"I think it's just a great way -- it really brings the fans and the players, and it has music. It's pretty fast -- there's men's and women's, and singles and doubles, so it kind of brings everything together. It's great for tennis," she said.

The match against The Buzz starts at 7 p.m. Thursday.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Buzz fans fall for Anna
Kournikova's tennis isn't pretty, but crowd doesn't seem to mind

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer
First published: Friday, July 9, 2004

She didn't even play singles.

Not that anyone seemed to care very much.

The crowd of 2,000 people appeared happy just to see Kournikova, considered one of the world's most beautiful and recognizable athletes.

Kournikova lost in the two sets of doubles she played, but her Kansas City Explorers came back to beat the New York Buzz 19-16 in World TeamTennis.

It was Kournikova's second match in three days after the Explorers (1-1) lost to the New York Sportimes on Tuesday.

"I personally played better on the first day," she said. "I was a little sore coming out playing the second day, but our team did really well. I think the guys played really well, and we won, so that's all that counts."

Not to the fans who crowded near the sidelines with their cameras, or the group of more than 50 children who stood in line for her autograph afterward.

"She's one of my favorite women's tennis players because she's really pretty and she just plays really well," Albany's Dylan Scott, 11, said.

Scott won a contest that allowed him to play two points with Kournikova during intermission. He impressed the crowd with a long rally, and then Kournikova autographed the back of his T-shirt.

"He was adorable," she said. "He was great."

Kournikova, 23, was accomodating throughout, walking over to the stands to sign autographs during a couple of breaks in the action.

Brian Nealon, 26, of Schenectady said he doesn't normally attend Buzz matches but made an exception for Kournikova.

He said he didn't mind paying $30 for a ticket, double the $15 the Buzz usually charges.

"It's nice that a celebrity comes to Schenectady," he said. "A lot of people are probably here just to see her. You've got Anna Kournikova here, so you're going to pay to see her."

Kournikova, once ranked as high as eighth in the world, hasn't played on the WTA Tour in more than a year because of back problems. The rust was evident Thursday.

She opened the match in mixed doubles with partner David MacPherson. They lost 5-3 to Justin Bower and Viktoriya Kutuzova, who prevailed when Kournikova double-faulted on set point.

Then Bryanne Stewart and Kutuzova trounced Kournikova and Silvija Talaja 5-1 in women's doubles as the Buzz opened up a 10-4 lead.

Then Kournikova was done for the night, though she did stick around to watch the final three sets. She said she doesn't know if she'll play singles during this WTT season.

"It was great," Bower said of Kournikova's appearance. "As long as the crowd liked it. I know I did. She stayed through the whole match, which was nice. A lot of other people come out and play a set and then disappear."

Kansas City rallied to win the final three sets and the match. Talaja defeated Kutuzova 5-1 in women's singles, Alex Kim downed Bower 5-2 in men's singles, and then Kim and MacPherson stopped Bower and Shaun Rudman 5-3 in men's doubles to clinch the victory.

The Buzz fell to 0-4.

Kutuzova said she was excited to play against Kournikova for the first time.

"She was a great player, she's nice looking, what else do you need," the 15-year-old Kutuzova said. "She's a legend. She's a great player. And she's a Russian, and I'm a Russian, so it was a great experience."

Kournikova said she enjoyed her first trip to Schenectady.

"The fans were awesome and I guess the matches were pretty close, so hopefully the fans enjoyed watching it," she said.

She smiled during warmups when the disc jockey played "Escape," by Enrique Iglesias, the Latin pop star who is rumored to be Kournikova's husband. Kournikova wouldn't say on Wednesday whether the rumors are true.

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Anna has only played doubles so far. Only one more night of WTT.
Vika beat Seles 5-0. That's pretty good.

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Tomorrow night the Tennis Channel is showing 3 hours of WTT. I'll see Anna in doubles and mixed.
They have to show Vika's team, so I can get her on tape.

ZAK
Jul 12th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Tomorrow night the Tennis Channel is showing 3 hours of WTT. I'll see Anna in doubles and mixed.
They have to show Vika's team, so I can get her on tape.
at 6pm, right?

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 03:10 AM
7-10 Eastern. 3 hours, they better have a long interview with Anna.

ZAK
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:03 AM
7-10 Eastern. 3 hours, they better have a long interview with Anna.
what channel?, I can't seem to find it in the listings

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:09 AM
You need the Tennis Channel to see it.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:45 AM
It's more like shut the hell up time!

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Just the opposite is true. With the new Maxim now on newsstands, I want Anna to do more interviews.
Especially tonight on this 3 hour show. They better have a long Anna interview.