PDA

View Full Version : My Wimbledon report : Sunday to Tuesday (with photos!)

ali
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys! Well I got back from Wimbledon late last night and thought I would share my experiences with you. I managed to see 2 of Mary’s doubles matches and also caught her practising every day which was great. This might be a long report so bare with me! Here goes ;)

I was originally going down to Wimbledon on Saturday to Monday night, but having seen the weather forecast I made a quick alteration and went Sunday until Tuesday. This proved to be a wise decision as I managed to see quite a bit of Mary. I arrived at the grounds on Sunday at 9am and was surprised about how easily I managed to get in! Having seen the order of play for Saturday I expected that Mary would have been playing her doubles match on the Sunday, but because Tatiana was playing singles late on, they had changed the schedule. Obviously I was a bit disappointed with this but went to the practice courts and after about an hour of sitting in the sun and getting burnt, Mary came out to practice! She was with her coach and seemed really happy – lots of smiles and laughter between the two of them so obviously any problems reported from her singles defeat had been sorted.

Mary looked great. I was a little surprised at how fit she looked because I had read that she’d put weight on again, but to me she looked in top condition. I think compared to some of the other players she does look (on TV) bigger, but to be honest I think physically she is perfect for her height and build. Anyway, she practised for about half an hour and there were a few of us watching her. One interesting thing was every time a player walked past her to go and practice on another court, they would stop and talk to her. She seems really popular with the other players.

Anyway, she left the court and was chased by a few people for autographs. I tried to get to talk to her (although I’ve no idea what I would have said!), but she was surrounded by lots of people so it was impossible. That was the last I saw of Mary on Sunday, but I managed to watch some good matches elsewhere before the rain came.

On the Monday, I went straight to the practice courts and saw Mary again – this time hitting with Arantxa! Again she seemed in high spirits and was laughing with Arantxa and her coach. I arrived just as they were about to finish though and after about 5 minutes she had disappeared into the locker room, again followed by a mass of autograph hunters! I spent the rest of the day watching other matches before settling on court 4 for her doubles match.

I know I’m a bit biased here, but Mary played great! She was serving well, hit some amazing returns and some of her volleys were unbelievable. She was really up for the match and was encouraging Tatiana – complimenting her when she hit a good shot and saying "don’t worry" if she hit a poor one :kiss: Her hand was still bandaged but it didn’t seem to be affecting her at all (which makes the singles result even harder to take!). One interesting thing was that the two French players spoke to each other in English! But at least that meant that I could understand what they were saying ;) I was sat on the front row so could hear their conversations – Mary is definitely the leader in this partnership. When Tatiana was broken in the second set she looked really disappointed with herself and said sorry. Mary replied "don’t worry, we’ll break them back"!!! :D

The third set was really close, but again Mary played great. When they got the break to go 5-3 up, Mary clenched her fist and beamed at Tatiana. It was lovely to see her enjoying herself so much on the court and being so up for the match. Often when players go out of the singles they don’t seem bothered about the doubles but Mary certainly was. I wonder if they might be teamed up for the Olympics – although I do think Amelie is a better doubles player (but who knows).

When the match finished, I went round to the exit of the court to try and see Mary. Again she was swamped for autographs and photos, but I felt that this was my chance so I waited until she was walking away and then went up to her. I called her name and she turned to look at me – then I totally went blank as to what to say!!! I’m embarrassed to say all I managed was a "well played" but she gave me the most wonderful smile and said thanks. I’m still kicking myself that I couldn’t say anything more interesting than "well played"! :o

Anyway, this message is going on forever, so I’ll finish for now and report on Tuesday’s events later (if people want to hear!)

ali
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Ooops, please excuse the strange font I've used!

Mark Spruce
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Thank you so much for the report.

Oh that is such a shame that you were lost for words when you saw Mary. But that is great that she smiled at you.

take and thanks again

regards

Mark

Declan
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Ali; a really interesting read!!

sebbe
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I'm really jelous at you Ali...

motta
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM
That's great ali!!!!:)
I'm a litlle bit jelous too! I live in Brasil and in 2001 I went to London and I saw some macthes of first and second round at Wimbledon, but Mary didn't play that year:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
I'm afraid I will never see my queen live:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Anyway, I love Mary and I'm happy to see her in tv. I hope she will do well in the hardcourt season and in Olimpics...

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mamno_MARYFAN
Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Ali!!!!!!....I'm also jealous of yaa!!!!!:angel:

Its nice to know that Mary's enjoying herself with Tatiana, her coach, other players, and mostly to her fans...no wonder she's so popular....:angel:

Thanks for sharing ur wonderful experience with us.....;)

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

ali
Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys :)

As you've probably gathered, I had a great time. I just wish more of you could have been there :kiss: . I've been sorting out my photos and have some really nice ones of Mary from the two doubles matches. But I can't figure out how to post them here - do I need to put them on a website first? :confused:

Still can't believe my mumbled comment when I spoke to her! :o ;)

PamShriverRockz
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
I was at Mary's matches too :) Where were you sat/standing?

To put your pictures up, which we'd like to see! (click on post reply first and all the options come up) click on the manage attachments option then upload from your computer.

ashwu
Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
nice report! thanks ali!!! you are so lucky!!!

MissTennisFan
Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Ali -- thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed a report, I just loved reading it! :wavey:

ali
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
I was at Mary's matches too :) Where were you sat/standing?

To put your pictures up, which we'd like to see! (click on post reply first and all the options come up) click on the manage attachments option then upload from your computer.
Hi! For the match against Molik and Serna I kept moving around! I was stood up for the first part near to where her coach was sitting, then moved to the other side when it started getting a bit busy. Luckily somebody moved off their bench and I pounced!

For the third round match I was sitting in the stands for most of the match, but came down to sit near the front again towards the end of the third set.

Where were you? It got busy pretty quickly, Mary seems quite popular with the fans don't you think? Or is that just me being biased again? ;)

I've tried to uplaod the photos, but apparently they are too large or something! :mad: :fiery:

I'll try to make them smaller :confused:

Mark Spruce
Jul 4th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Hello Ali,

If you want you can send them to me and I can put a a section just for your photos under my Wimbledon 2004 Gallery on my Mary site.

I think that Mary is popular as she is known I think for bering nice to fans and appricaiting them.

I am hoping that one day I can do report abouting see Mary as well.

take care

Mark

ashwu
Jul 4th, 2004, 04:22 AM
here is a free image host i usually used
http://www.imageshack.us/

maximum image size: 850k:bounce:

PamShriverRockz
Jul 4th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Hi! For the match against Molik and Serna I kept moving around! I was stood up for the first part near to where her coach was sitting, then moved to the other side when it started getting a bit busy. Luckily somebody moved off their bench and I pounced!

For the third round match I was sitting in the stands for most of the match, but came down to sit near the front again towards the end of the third set.

Where were you? It got busy pretty quickly, Mary seems quite popular with the fans don't you think? Or is that just me being biased again? ;)

I've tried to uplaod the photos, but apparently they are too large or something! :mad: :fiery:

I'll try to make them smaller :confused:
Hi! For the Molik/Serna match I was sitting on the bench next to the one with her coach on. (so not that far from you ;) ) And then for the match on court 3 I was sitting on a bench on the opposite side of the stand nearer the far service line.
Yep, Mary is always popular at Wimbledon, every match I've seen her play there for the last few years always gets full! (And I'm sure I'm not being biased either ;) )
Mary played great in the doubles :)

ali
Jul 4th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks Mark and Ashwu :) I'll try using the image host you recommended so that I can post the pictures up here.

PamShriverRockz - was that Mary's mum sat on the bench next to yours then? I thought I recognised her but I'm not entirely sure. I was stood just behind her.

Okay - here goes with the photos!

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/1985/2827.jpg

ali
Jul 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM
http://img3.exs.cx/img3/8388/5184.jpg

Just checking they work!

Mark Spruce
Jul 5th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Hello Ali,

Yes they seem to be working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW they are such great quality, do you have any more.

regards

Mark

NicoMary
Jul 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
What a great team, i'm so in love with Mary and tatiana playing together...i really believe that Mary could be such a good exemple for Tatiana, and tatiana a real motivation For Mary...they looks great together....:worship: :hearts: :hearts:

ali
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Glad the pictures are working :)

Here's some more

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/3654/3315.jpg

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/7796/3318.jpg

ali
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/6905/new10.jpg

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/2527/5172.jpg

ali
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM
http://img11.exs.cx/img11/1272/5176.jpg

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/1231/4388.jpg

Mark Spruce
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM
WOW such amazing pics.

I just keep looking at Mary's poor hand :sad:

And then keep thinking I hope Tatiana's short will not slip off as they seem to be falling down LOL

take care

Mark

ali
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM
And then keep thinking I hope Tatiana's shorts will not slip off as they seem to be falling down LOL

Mark
:lol:

PamShriverRockz
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Awesome pics Ali! I thought it might have been Mary's mum on that bench but I wasn't sure either!

And I thought I was the only one who worried Tati might catch a cold with those shorts ;)

m_pierce fan
Jul 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM
maam looks grreat!! and Tati too....

Mark Spruce
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Mary always looks great :hearts: :kiss:

regards

Mark

Tompier
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks Ali, no words to express my fellings :wavey:

ashwu