PDA

View Full Version : Article on Yoshida's win!

AUSBOY
Mar 4th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Yoshida triumphs

JAPAN'S Yuka Yoshida claimed her first major tennis tournament of the year yesterday when she pow ered past No.1 seed Cindy Watson in the final of the $AUS50,000 Australian Unity In ternational at Bendigo's Coca-Cola complex. The No.8 seed dominated the eagerly anticipated clash from the outset, winning the first set in only 20 minutes before going on to secure the title 6-1 7-6 (7-5). `I'm very happy with my win,'' Yoshida said. `I hit the ball well all week, and as my confidence grew my tennis got better.'' The 25-year-old, who flew out from Melbourne last night to join Japan's Federation Cup squad in China, played a more aggressive brand of tennis than her highly fancied Australian opponent, allowing her to dictate from the base-line. After closing the first set out in emphatic fashion, Yoshida began to lose her grip on the match during the second, going down an early break to Watson to trail 1-3. However, a late surge saw Yoshida wrestle the break back to force a tie-break, which she eventually won 7-5 on her sixth match point. She received almost $6000 for the win. Yoshida qualified for the final after downing No.2 seed Mirielle Dittmann in Saturday's semi-final 6-4 6-1. Watson booked her place in the final by defeating Trudi Musgrave 6-3 5-7 6-1. In the doubles final, unseeded Australian pair Sarah Stone and Samantha Stosur comfortably beat third- seeded duo Trudi Musgrave and Cindy Watson 6-4 6-3. Bendigo Tennis Associ ation executive officer Steve Power said the tournament had again been a raging success, with spectator numbers up on previous years. `The crowds were great, the weather was great and the tennis was great,'' Power said. `This event really has become one of the highlights of the Bendigo tennis calendar, and hopefully we'll have it back again next year.'' The Australian Unity Tour continues this week with a month-long satellite circuit in Warrnambool, Benalla and Yarrawonga before players return to Bendigo to contest the Masters in late march at the lawn tennis club.

V.Melb
Mar 4th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks for article -

Maybe Japan could consider playing Yuka for the singles as she is in good form :)

Steveg
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Yes, thanks a lot for this very interesting article, AUSBOY :) .

There should not be many Asian players at the coming ITF tourney, with the Fed Cup this week. Bad timing...

Kaelin
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bravo Yuka:bounce:
I'm very happy for her after such a bad season in 2001