PDA

View Full Version : Article: Cup team in turmoil :eek:

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Taken from the Herald Sun:
Australia's Fed Cup team for the tie against Thailand next month is shrouded in controversy amid rumours of player discontent.
Doubles star Rennae Stubbs is believed to have been dropped for the July 10-11 clash in Bangkok for disciplanary reasons, while world No.26 Alicia Molik is thought to be unavailable because of scheduling concerns.
The team, which is likely to include Nicole Pratt, Sam Stosur, Christina Wheeler and possibly Lisa McShea, will be announced today by selectors Kerryn Pratt, Mark Woodforde and Lesley Hunt.
It emerged yesterday both Stubbs and Molik were fined for turning up late for the world group tie against Russia in Moscow in April.
Molik, who has commited to representing Australia at the Olympics in August, has made grandslam success and Athens her main priorities as she tries to improve her ranking.
But a cramped program has left the South Australian exhausted as she prepares to tackle the Olympics and US Open in August, events critical in her climbing into the top 10.
Stubbs was formerly ranked No.1 in doubles and was named world doubles champion in 2001 with Lisa Raymond.
Ranked 12th in the world, Stubbs has landed 44 doubles titles in her career including three of the four majors. The French Open is the only one missing from her cabinet.

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM
is it just me or is alicia getting too big for her boots?? :o
she seems to be a bit over-confident(saying how she would back herself to beat dementieva, and always saying she belongs in the top 20) and now pulling out of fed cup for personal gain
i LOVE alicia, but part of the reason i first loved her was her modesty, down to earth attitude and humbleness
as for rennae, she hasnt been winnning slams lately, but she is ranked 12 in theworld for a reason. to drop her is ridiculous and could be the difference between winning and losing

TS
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM
ooh how interesting! So the reason for dumping Stubbsy was for turning up late in Russia? Or is the 'disciplanary' reason something more juicy? Like cracking onto Evonne on the practice court? Or one of the other girls? I want goss...

I hope Lisa can get a chance to come into the team...she is a handy replacement for Rennae.

I'm surprised to read Alicia hasn't committed 100% :confused: How accurate is that information? She is usually prepared to play whenever, wherever.

broncosven
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Think that its weird for those 2 (Alicia and Renee) to act like that . . very uncharacteristic of them

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
thats what i thought

azza
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Alicia :confused: dont be a dirty rat just play

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM
i always thought playing for aussie was alicias top priority :o
thats bullshit about her making the top 10 shell be lucky to make top 20 by yr end

TS
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Have we heard it from the horse's mouth though? No offence to Alicia...don't mean to call her a horse.

I won't believe it until I see a quote from her.

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM
this is just what i read in the paper

broncosven
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
What one ???

papers have known to greatly exaggerate the truth . . . top 10 for starters

broncosven
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
while world No.26 Alicia Molik is thought to be unavailable because of scheduling concerns.

Thought to be !! not for sure :p

The team, which is likely to include

Likley . . . not for sure :p

Wont believe it until tennis australia announces it

Mr_Molik
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Mark Woodforde officially announced the team on the Today show today and it is:
Nicole Pratt
Christina Wheeler
Sam Stosur
Lisa McShea

btw the paper was the monday Herald Sun

broncosven
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Wow

love to here more about this in the not to distant future

perhaps Alicia didnt wanna get beat by Tammie again ?????

Peer101
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Sophie Ferguson should be put on

louloubelle
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Tennis Aus site confirms the team but no reason to why Rennae and Alicia aren't playing. :rolleyes:

http://www.tennisaustralia.com/pages/default.aspx?id=4&PageID=7956
Sam will need to step up and I expect Nicole will stand out being our number one player and get the wins needed.

TS - it's been smooth sailing for too long. Every four years or so there's been a Fed Cup blow-up so it was bound to happen. :D

Wendy Turnbull vs. Judy Dalton
Nicole Bradtke/Liz Smylie vs. Wendy Turnbull
Lesley Bowrey vs. Rachel McQuillan
AND NOW
Rennae Stubbs vs. Evonne Goolagong

Rennae always has had a lot to say but at this stage it's no loss for her not to be in the team. Sam, Nicole, Lisa are all capable enough on the doubles court.

Alicia :confused: who knows! But you would've thought she'd arrange her schedule at the start of the year to ensure she could've fit Fed Cup in. Would've been interesting if we had beaten Russia, Im sure she would've made the time!

Postcard
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM
<Rennae Stubbs vs. Evonne Goolagong>

I don't think that it is issue!

Postcard
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:47 AM
http://seven.com.au/news/nationalnews/95188

"...A Tennis Australia (TA) spokesman said Molik had indicated she wanted to concentrate on her Olympic Games preparation and improving her tour ranking but would be available for Fed Cup again in future.
Stubbs was dropped "following discussions between Rennae and selectors", the spokesman said. Her place has gone to Cup debutante Lisa McShea who has won three doubles titles and made two other finals on tour this year..."

azza
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Alicia :fiery: Stupid Stupid rat :fiery:

Mr_Molik
Jun 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
the selectors r mark woodforde, kerryn pratt and lesley hunt
so if rennae has a prob with anyone, it would be one of them not evonne

louloubelle
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM
If think if Evonne wanted Rennae in the team she'd be in there...

However Evonnes never striked me as the type to instigate and indulge in confrontation so it wouldn't be surprising if she handballed the 'discussions' to the selectors!!

The 'word' discussion has all types of connotations in that article!! It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that Rennae would've peeved with a fine from the last tie (especially if she thought it was unfounded) and tried to play hardball with the selectors in which they may have called her bluff.

nitocris_tiger
Jun 29th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Great... this is just what we need on the eve of a difficult away tie which will see us in zonal qualifying if we lose.:mad:

Olympic Games preparation? It's not for another 6 weeks after the Fed Cup. How would it be interupting the preparation?:tape: At the very least it would help aclimatise to the apparent humid conditions in Greece. It's just very disappointing.

McShea is obviously in good form this year but how has Stubbsies been? Are we just trying to read too much into this than just selecting a player in better form :confused: Obviously arriving late in Russia didn't help but it does seem a little suspicious dropping a player who has done so well for us in the past with not so much as a small thank you and with very little fanfare.

Here is a situation where I wish women's tennis has the same amount of media coverage as men's. How much media attention did Flip get a few years ago when he chose not to play Davis Cup because it "didn't fit into his schedule"?

Mr_Molik
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:23 AM
just cos rennae isnt winning slams anymore, she is still a top doubles player and would be a better asset to the team than mcshea
i think the best pairing (other than alicia/rennae) would be rennae/lisa

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Molik, what exactly she is planning to play instead :rolleyes:

broncosven
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Not good harmony like this

had 2 disrupted Campaigns this year . . . for shame

AUSBOY
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Rennae's form really has been average, dont think she has one a title since Tokyo which is a week Tier 1 to say the least and her rank is continuing to decline the past two years. I dont think her being dropped is any great lose. She certainly deserved to be fined for Russia's debacle, she arrived so late to that tie, and basically had no time to acclimatise.

Alicia on the other hand has always put in huge efforts with Fed Cups. I remember her arriving back from Europe 2 weeks early once to train on the grass courts in Adelaide for the tie against Austria when she the 4th ranked Aussie, just so the selectors would swing a singles berth her way and she didnt let them down.

She does have a full on schedule, its not just the tennis and training, Alicia has a lot of commercial obligations which add to her travels and workload, not too mention all the other day to day things in her life which eat into her time. I'm all for Alicia missing this tie, Stosur and Pratt should be enough to get past Thailand although Nicole's record against Tammy is woeful

azza
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM
why should rennea be fined its not like if they won the doubles aus would of won :rolleyes:

louloubelle
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Im not convinced with Alicia's reasoning for pulling out - I suspect that Fed Cup isn't a priority this year for her than say the exhaustion, scheduling reason. But she shouldn't think that she's above this tie considering her loss to Tammy last week.

If exhaustion is the reason then it's not like she's a top 5-10 player reaching the final stages of tournies - therefore playing tough match after tough match which would be draining.

Her form has been a bit up and down and if these results and scheduling (as well as additional committments) are going to make her exhausted whats going to happen if she does reach her goal of top 10-20 and has to cope with the intensity of those matches and the extra committments that a high ranking brings :confused:

Admittedly it's one tournament but the beauty of Aussie players (and apparently the envy of other countries) is that most have always regarded their team events as being the ultimate and would always committ regardless of dates and venues.

azza
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
shes lucky it isnt in Aus :rolleyes: would be just TOO far even more :o

Mr_Molik
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
i read another article about this in the paepr today
i cant remember the exact words but rennau is very pissed off she said about not being selected shesaid how shes been available for every tie since like 1992

Mattographer
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM
TS - it's been smooth sailing for too long. Every four years or so there's been a Fed Cup blow-up so it was bound to happen. :D

Lesley Bowrey vs. Rachel McQuillan
No, it was Rennae Stubbs who had issues with Lesley Bowrey not Rachel McQuillan.

louloubelle
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
No, it was Rennae Stubbs who had issues with Lesley Bowrey not Rachel McQuillan.
Um no! Rachel was given considerable space by an Sydney paper in which she had no problem publicy bagging Lesley around after the time when Jelena Dokic made her cup debut.

She accused Lesley of 'crying in front of her', acting like a drill sargent, giving more time to Jelena than the others, lacked communication skills and criticised her court surface selection in their horrible (rachel-led) loss to Russia and said they needed a male captain because he would take none of their female shit.

Rachel was then giving a bagging herself by the Melb Hearld Sun who basically said that unless she started winning matches she should keep her mouth shut!

No doubt Rennae was in there but Rachel was the mouth-piece.

TS
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah I remember that. Rachel slagged off Lesley as Lesley was coaching Jelena at the time, and accusing Lesley of 'conflicting interests'.

The current crop of younger Aussie girls are too nice I think...I want more bitching in the ranks like the old days.

Mr_Molik
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah I remember that. Rachel slagged off Lesley as Lesley was coaching Jelena at the time, and accusing Lesley of 'conflicting interests'.

The current crop of younger Aussie girls are too nice I think...I want more bitching in the ranks like the old days.
i agree :worship: i think we might be starting to see some from alicia though :eek:

TS
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Let's hope so. I want hair pulling, fisticuff action, topped off with verbal slanging matches ;)

Like:

Anne Minter v Hana Mandlikova :lol: (although it was really all Anne...Hana never said a word)
Rachel McQuillan v Nicole Provis
Sarah Stone v Sarah Stone

BTW, have you changed your screen name? You seem to have quite a few posts but I dont recall seeing a Mr Molik on these boards before :confused:

Mr_Molik
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM
previously known as aussieboy88 ;) but alicia made me change my name when we got married :p

Aussie_Kim
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Hmm!
I really really hope the Aussie don't get beaten cos it will be hard for them to get back into the world group then! :sad:

broncosven
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Is Channel 7 televising it agin ??

Mr_Molik
Jul 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Is Channel 7 televising it agin ??
:eek: whens the last time fed cup was televised on tv at all?

louloubelle
Jul 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Let's hope so. I want hair pulling, fisticuff action, topped off with verbal slanging matches ;)

Like:

Anne Minter v Hana Mandlikova :lol: (although it was really all Anne...Hana never said a word)
Rachel McQuillan v Nicole Provis
Sarah Stone v Sarah Stone

Cmon we want none of that ;) Nice girls always finish.... umm... yeah OK that explains it!

Anne vs Hana - Anne blasted Hana after her victory against her @ Wimbledon and basically said that she was the no. 1 Aussie and Hana shouldn't be included automatically into Fed Cup. Wendy Turnbull publicy agreed with Anne' statements too.

Wendy Turnbull wasn't happy with Judy Dalton (Fed Cup captain in the 80's) and challenged her captaincy because Judy was coaching her rival Kathy Jordan.

Dianne Fromholtz and Wendy Turnbull were never close friends either.

Wendy Turnbull publicy criticised Evonne for apparently accepting under-the-table tournament appearance fees.

There's always been a drama somewhere:)

Gallofa
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Rennae's form really has been average, dont think she has one a title since Tokyo which is a week Tier 1 to say the least and her rank is continuing to decline the past two years. I dont think her being dropped is any great lose
Well spotted!! :lol:

Wendy Turnbull wasn't happy with Judy Dalton (Fed Cup captain in the 80's) and challenged her captaincy because Judy was coaching her rival Kathy Jordan.

Dianne Fromholtz and Wendy Turnbull were never close friends either.

Wendy Turnbull publicy criticised Evonne for apparently accepting under-the-table tournament appearance fees.
I can't imagine Wendy as a trouble-maker! she's such a sweetie!! :D

I like a bit of hair-pulling too :D - and Rennae's personality just clashes with about everyone ;), so it makes things more interesting.

louloubelle
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Did anyone see Rennae's interview with channel 9 after her doubles win. I didn't but from what I was told she went into depth about the Fed Cup dropping...

In the end she said she wasn't selected because of being late last time. However she said Alicia was selected (then withdrew) and in a way she has been left to shoulder all the blame.

Thought that despite this minor blemish, it should've been overlooked because of her past committment to the team for over 10 years.

Loves Fed Cup and loves it because of the girls in the team and will definitely make herself avalaible next tie despite what has gone on.

Dissapointed that she never made a real impact on the singles game, however each time she peaked she then got injured. Thought it was no coincidence that when she retired from singles she won her doubles slams.

Anyone see this interview? My info is 2nd hand so would love someone to shed some extra light on it. Sounded like a very interesting interview!

Mr_Molik
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:31 AM
damn i missed it :sad:

louloubelle
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Taken from the Melbourne Sunday Hearld Sun.... Rennae speaks out about Fed Cup. As I thought Rennae definitely has issues with Evonne!

Stubbs: Sack Evonne
Australia’s Wimbledon doubles champ Rennae Stubbs has called for Fed Cup captain Evonne Goolagong-Cawley and coach Mark Woodforde to be sacked.

In an exclusive to us this week, a bitter Stubbs – a medal chance in doubles with Alicia Molik at next months Olympics – sprayed Australian tennis management.

It follows a disastrous Fed Cup performance in Thailand recently, which resulted in Australia dropping to the third-rung Asia/Oceania group for the first time.

‘They should all be sacked, no question. Look where it has got us?’ fumed Stubbs, who has won 45 doubles titles, including Wimbledon this year (with Cara Black).

Stubbs revealed she was fined $4000, which was not made public, after last year’s Moscow tie, and the dispute with Goolagong-Cawley and Woodforde led to her being dropped for this month’s event. ‘I was available and not chosen. I have been treated extremely poorly. As far as them losing in Thailand I think Mark (and) Evonne… should all step down after the loss and take responsibility for not having the strongest team possible.’ Stubbs said.

She slammed Woodforde, whom she claimed was on a "power trip" and Goolagong-Cawley for what she felt was an ill-timed and insulting email on the eve of Wimbledon. ‘Mark and Evonne chose not to pick me because, as they stated in an email to me, I was a disruption to the team. I find that ludicrous as I personally get along with all my teammates and worked my butt off that week for all my teammates’ she said. Stubs said her views were shared by teammates (Molik, Nicole Pratt and Samantha Stosur).

‘For more than 18 months we have asked for changes in team management, but yet here we are with the same people involved in our Fed Cup administration,’ she said.

Tennis Australia’s John Lindsay said the fine after Moscow and Stubs exclusion had been the last straw in a simmering dispute and pointed out Australia won the doubles rubber in Thailand. Meanwhile, Stubbs welcomed the appointment of Nicole Bradtke as Olympic womne’s tennis capatin/coach.

broncosven
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Nicole Bradtke would be awesome !!

louloubelle
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Nicole Bradtke would be awesome !!
Liz Smylie for mine if there was a change. Liz plays it pretty straight down the line and wouldn't take any crap. Well respected (particularly during her playing days) and would still be up with whats happening on the tour atm.

Bradtke has always been whiney and couldn't see her capable of handling the problems that may arise within the team.

TS
Jul 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM
I agree - Liz would be great. Nicole I feel would do a good job as she's pretty close in age to the girls (well Stubbs and Pratt anyway), but she's just as big a loudmouth as Rennae so who knows what that may bring us too.

A few points about Rennae's spiel. First of all I think it's wrong for her to say her teammates felt the same way....grow up Rennae and don't start making things worse than they already are by speaking on behalf of other professionals like that. Secondly, the selectors did field the best team they could (under the circumstances) as Alicia had made herself unavaible. In Fed Cup, with doubles being played last, Rennae's absence meant diddley squat.

To be fair, I sympathise with her situation and I do appreciate that she's not afraid to speak her mind (even if I don't agree with some of it)...she's always been committed to play and always gives 100% and that I commend.

Mr_Molik
Jul 25th, 2004, 08:43 AM
on ya rennae ;)

AUSBOY
Jul 25th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Good on you Rennae!!

Her fine and exclusion was a joke. Reality was that she did extra training to make up for her late arrival last tie in Moscow and was prepared for the doubles match.

Alicia was also fined for her day late arrival as well.

I can appreciate in an ideal world that it would be best if all the players arrived together so the team training could happen, however with everyones schedules its near impossible and its wishful thinking if they think its gonna happen with every tie.

The bottom line is that the girls selected always put in 100% in their training sessions and matches and quite frankly you can't ask for more. These fines etc are only gonna cause more problems to the team

broncosven
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Well like people say we fielded the best team that made themselves available and the girls put in 100% and lost . . thats life

wonder who will take em to the playoff stage next year and for that case if all the top players will make themselves available!!

thers another hot topic of debate for you !!

azza
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Stubbs revealed she was fined $4000, which was not made public,

:rolls: Now it is :p

louloubelle
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:23 AM
A few points about Rennae's spiel. First of all I think it's wrong for her to say her teammates felt the same way....grow up Rennae and don't start making things worse than they already are by speaking on behalf of other professionals like that. Secondly, the selectors did field the best team they could (under the circumstances) as Alicia had made herself unavaible. In Fed Cup, with doubles being played last, Rennae's absence meant diddley squat.

To be fair, I sympathise with her situation and I do appreciate that she's not afraid to speak her mind (even if I don't agree with some of it)...she's always been committed to play and always gives 100% and that I commend.
You wonder if she's implying (re: not having the best team) also that Alicia's withdrawal was about the fine instead of 'scheduling' etc.... Hopefully Alicia made her own mind up about this and wasn't dragged into anything by Rennae.

I can't see a change in captaincy happening tho and the players will need to work this through. I expect the girls will have to grin and bear it, but I would be surprised if we didn't have our best team out there next year.

Mr_Molik
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Well like people say we fielded the best team that made themselves available and the girls put in 100% and lost . . thats life

rennae made herself available she just wasnt selected

broncosven
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:17 AM
wasnt really refering to Renee since we had lost the tie before doubles nehow

Mr_Molik
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM
wasnt really refering to Renee since we had lost the tie before doubles nehow
true....all this speculation is driving me crazy :p

broncosven
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Well Hey

Annabell Ellwood has made a comeback playing Doubles with Dubz in Ireland . . perhaps she wants to play Fed Cup next year !!!

Mr_Molik
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
mcshea did it no reason y anabel cant

louloubelle
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:57 AM
A small piece in the back pages of the Sunday Herald Sun - sports section (sorry wasnt able to copy it out or provide a link)

Nicole Pratt responded to Rennae Stubbs criticism of Evonne & Mark re: article posted by myself on July 25th by saying that she in no way agrees with Rennae Stubbs statements and is backing Evonne's captaincy. She apparently has respect for Evonne's tennis achievements and her work with the Fed Cup team.

Interesting.... :eek: no surprise for Rennae to drag others into the debate... but interesting that this has occurred because I was under the impression Rennae and Nicole were mates. :confused:

Mr_Molik
Aug 8th, 2004, 08:06 AM
A small piece in the back pages of the Sunday Herald Sun - sports section (sorry wasnt able to copy it out or provide a link)

Nicole Pratt responded to Rennae Stubbs criticism of Evonne & Mark re: article posted by myself on July 25th by saying that she in no way agrees with Rennae Stubbs statements and is backing Evonne's captaincy. She apparently has respect for Evonne's tennis achievements and her work with the Fed Cup team.

Interesting.... :eek: no surprise for Rennae to drag others into the debate... but interesting that this has occurred because I was under the impression Rennae and Nicole were mates. :confused:
:eek: