PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does Richard seem down to earth?

Jakeev
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM
I have never really liked Richard Williams, but in light of Venus' controversial loss and comments about the sisters not taking tennis seriously, he seems to be showing amazing restraint and if you will graciousness.

Albeit his life has probably changed since losing his daughter in a senseless crime, Richard seems rather likable lately. Either that or he is just telling the world to buzz off silently instead of being well Richard.

I'm not jumping on the "I Love Richard" bandwagon mind you but I have been pleasantly surprised by him.

Sharapower
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Sorry to bump this but I read a story about Richard W. : French Tennis Magazine reports that, the day after that controversial match Sprem vs. V. Williams, the Wimbledon staff were terrifyed when they saw Richard Williams heading to Alan Mills office, expecting a big scandal.

Everyone was quite surprised when they heard Richard just say something like "You know, everyone happens to make mistakes and if I had to be punished on each mistake that I made, I would already be burning in hell. That's great of an attitude.

On the other hand he seems to have made a mistake by answering "just show up" when asked what would Serena do to beat Maria in the final... I don't know if he really said that but, OMG the young russian proved him wrong.

Miranda
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:31 AM
he was also very gracious for embracing and congratulating Maria's father :wavey: :)

Sharapower
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM
he was also very gracious for embracing and congratulating Maria's father :wavey: :)
Indeed

SJW
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM
everyone expects him to be some kind of big ogre...he's not like that at all.

he's great. i saw him at Wimby last year and stopped to say hello and he shook my hand and chatted with me lol. a complete stranger...he's a good guy :)

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I have never really liked Richard Williams, but in light of Venus' controversial loss and comments about the sisters not taking tennis seriously, he seems to be showing amazing restraint and if you will graciousness.

Albeit his life has probably changed since losing his daughter in a senseless crime, Richard seems rather likable lately. Either that or he is just telling the world to buzz off silently instead of being well Richard.

I'm not jumping on the "I Love Richard" bandwagon mind you but I have been pleasantly surprised by him.

Richard has always been down to earth. When Richard goes to these tournaments he does not mingle with the top brasses he walks around the grounds and talk to the vendors and the average joe. I remember one year at Wimbledon when it rained he was helping the guys mopp up the water from between the seats....talking about down to earth I do not think I would ever see Stephano or any other tennis parent do anything like that.

xan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Richard has always been down to earth. When Richard goes to these tournaments he does not mingle with the top brasses he walks around the grounds and talk to the vendors and the average joe. I remember one year at Wimbledon when it rained he was helping the guys mopp up the water from between the seats....talking about down to earth I do not think I would ever see Stephano or any other tennis parent do anything like that.
Kim would...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39292000/jpg/_39292556_clijsters200.jpg

Anyway Richard is basically a good guy. It's just he's considered arrogant for the way he over-hypes his daughters

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Kim would...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39292000/jpg/_39292556_clijsters200.jpg

Anyway Richard is basically a good guy. It's just he's considered arrogant for the way he over-hypes his daughters

What Kim did was for publicity, what Richard did was from the heart. And you really cannot compare Richard and Kim. Richard was using a mop and Kim had high tech. equipment :lol: :lol:

jrm
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Whoever says their daughters should get more money because they have made female tennis more popular doesn't seem down to Earth!

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Whoever says their daughters should get more money because they have made female tennis more popular doesn't seem down to Earth!

The man man was telling the truth and goes for every player who has made the tour what it is today.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM
What Kim did was for publicity, what Richard did was from the heart. And you really cannot compare Richard and Kim. Richard was using a mop and Kim had high tech. equipment :lol: :lol:
:lol: I saw Richard Williams at Wimbly this year and although I didnt talk to him he seemed like a really nice and gracious guy (I was sitting right behind the players' box). So, for that matter, did Venus. When they were mingling with the crowds they certainly didnt take any kind of "I'm famous and more important than you, get out of my way" attitude at all.

nander
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Whatever else he has said in the past, he was right about the fact that his daughters made tennis more popular among young African Americans. Nothing sinister..(just as Michael Chang made it more popular among Chinese/?Asians). I wish I had the photographs from just even the US Open to prove my point but I have seen it over and over.
I am sure the long list of Russian players is due to a similar phenomenon.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Whatever else he has said in the past, he was right about the fact that his daughters made tennis more popular among young African Americans. Nothing sinister..(just as Michael Chang made it more popular among Chinese/?Asians). I wish I had the photographs from just even the US Open to prove my point but I have seen it over and over.
I am sure the long list of Russian players is due to a similar phenomenon.
Fair point. They even say that Belgian success is down to Steffi Graf, who wasnt even from the same country!! Its inspiration that is the motivator, not just nationality and I'm sure the W/S are inspiring young coloured people in many countries, not just Americans ..........

calabar
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Damned of you do...Damned of you don't. I bet there are a bunch of writers and media types who are "disappointed" that Richard has not said anything outrageous in recent years. They have always seen him as a gold mine for quotes and negative headlines.

The fact is, that the man was and is a visionary. Many of his prophecies have been fullfilled and it is just killing his detractors inside to know that they were wrong and he was right.

Keep doing your thing King Richard.

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Fair point. They even say that Belgian success is down to Steffi Graf, who wasnt even from the same country!! Its inspiration that is the motivator, not just nationality and I'm sure the W/S are inspiring young coloured people in many countries, not just Americans ..........

Please using that word "coloured'' is an insult try using Black or African American.

SerenaVenusNo1
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Damned of you do...Damned of you don't. I bet there are a bunch of writers and media types who are "disappointed" that Richard has not said anything outrageous in recent years. They have always seen him as a gold mine for quotes and negative headlines.

The fact is, that the man was and is a visionary. Many of his prophecies have been fullfilled and it is just killing his detractors inside to know that they were wrong and he was right.

Keep doing your thing King Richard.

I think a visionary is praise too much, but indeed he has proven those wrong who questioned his methods. His family has 10 Grand Slam titles and he deserves some of the credit.

But really, Richard brought the negative headlines and the quote-mongering down on himself, that can't be denied. So if people are still looking for him to do that, well, reputations die hard.

oddkayla
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Its okay for other parents to be proud and celebrate their children's success. But then, Richard is not another parent, and he is held to a different standard. Truth of the matter is that Richard has always been a cool kinda guy.

Ask the regular folk at tournaments who normally interact with him when they are on the grounds. Particularly at Wimbledon. He loves them there and they love him. He has even been known to give them tickets!

SJW
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Please using that word "coloured'' is an insult try using Black or African American.in Europe it's not. you know there is a world outside America.

i understand why you said what you said but i'm sick of you guys thinking there is only one nationality to take in mind. it is a little insensitive, but you have to understand that (un)fortunately, we didn't restrict people to certain washrooms/fountains etc that non-white people could go into.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Please using that word "coloured'' is an insult try using Black or African American.
You should get out more (of the US I mean - please see SJW's comment above as an explanation).:rolleyes:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Man Richard keep it real....a lot of people think he is rude or cocky or whatever, but that man is smart and he has been through a lot more than you can imagine. He does not sugar coat anything he says and he's going to give it to you straight..and thats the way a lot of African Americans in the south are...trust me I KNOW cuz im from TX about 45 minutes from Shrevport LA where he grew up! I applaud everything he's done for his family. :worship:

wongqks
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I couldn't believe I am saying this.
Richard has always been a nice guy, all his smart ass comment like Big white turkey or make a new leg for Martina H etc... are probably just taken out of context when he was just joking

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
You should get out more (of the US I mean - please see SJW's comment above as an explanation).:rolleyes:

You know it is always good to learn from others..So you use that word where you live..If I came to your country and someone said that to me I would be highly insulted...Now you know if you ever visit the US you would know not to use that word. That's why it's gread to learn about other peoples' culture.

Ballbuster
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I like the so-called controversial Richard. At least everything he said became truth. Besides, I think its demoralizing to try and make the whole world like you, when you are only being you. Sure he has toned it down a bit. But then again you would too when you divorced your wife and you don't sit together and your wife had a daughter get killed and your daughters are struggling to find their game - and who know what else is happening in his life.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I like the so-called controversial Richard. At least everything he said became truth. Besides, I think its demoralizing to try and make the whole world like you, when you are only being you. Sure he has toned it down a bit. But then again you would too when you divorced your wife and you don't sit together and your wife had a daughter get killed and your daughters are struggling to find their game - and who know what else is happening in his life.

Exactly....give me 5 ballbuster *holding my hand out* :p I like the controversial Richard too...everyone expected the typical ass kissing/nice guy respose that you normally see everybody give in interviews HUH.....NOT RICHARD WILLIAMS....he would give them real 411.....and didnt care what NOBODY had to say about it...and if anyone didnt like it....they could kiss his ashy knee cap!

Infiniti2001
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Richard is cool albeit a few fries short of a happy meal. If he was as horrible as some make him out to be, he wouldn't be mobbed by fans tournament after tournament(and it's not by black folk) :tape:

jrm
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:04 PM
The man man was telling the truth and goes for every player who has made the tour what it is today.

Look what Tiger Woods did for golf and you don't see him asking for money just because he made the sport (still boring) popular

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:54 PM
You know it is always good to learn from others..So you use that word where you live..If I came to your country and someone said that to me I would be highly insulted...Now you know if you ever visit the US you would know not to use that word. That's why it's gread to learn about other peoples' culture.
:kiss: Well things change all the time here. Its so PC everywhere now, I think its actually also an insult to describe people as "white"! So I just call everyone "people" these days ..............

GoGoMaggie
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Is it just me or does Richard Williams remind you of Gawpy or Gawp?

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:03 PM
:kiss: Well things change all the time here. Its so PC everywhere now, I think its actually also an insult to describe people as "white"! So I just call everyone "people" these days ..............

That's so funny that you should say that because I prefer to say "White" rather than caucasian because White sounds better..I also prefer to say "Black" rather than African American....Life is really strange.

Knizzle
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Someone said Richard overhyped his daughters. That's funny. :lol:

OUT!
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:55 PM
You should get out more (of the US I mean - please see SJW's comment above as an explanation).:rolleyes:Actually you and SJW are both wrong! If by Europe, you are including UK as well. Coloured is an unacceptable term here also :p It's sad when young people continue to use these offensive terms, believing they are okay.
Richard Williams - controversial but mellowed down recently.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM
That's so funny that you should say that because I prefer to say "White" rather than caucasian because White sounds better..I also prefer to say "Black" rather than African American....Life is really strange.
So do I, whatever the current PC terms are ............

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Actually you and SJW are both wrong! If by Europe, you are including UK as well. Coloured is an unacceptable term here also :p It's sad when young people continue to use these offensive terms, believing they are okay.
So, clever clogs, tell us the current PC terms? In my life time so far its gone from black to coloured, are we back to black now? I mean in Wales, we wouldnt know, we're so ignorant and we've only just got electricity!

OUT!
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:02 PM
So, clever clogs, tell us the current PC terms? In my life time so far its gone from black to coloured, are we back to black now? I mean in Wales, we wouldnt know, we're so ignorant and we've only just got electricity!The term coloured was "accepted" in the mainstream until the 1970s :o We have never "gone back" to that term. I never said that all Welsh people are ignorant, only certain people of that origin.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:09 PM
The term coloured was "accepted" in the mainstream until the 1970s :o We have never "gone back" to that term. I never said that all Welsh people are ignorant, only certain people of that origin.
Its okay I know that most of them are from personal experience :lol:. I believe that in the US the term "Welsh" is quite derogatory, so you see there's racism all over the bloody place. In Wales we are very used to sheep, but even they come in black and white, so you see the colour issue applies even here! ;)

OUT!
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Its okay I know that most of them are from personal experience :lol:. I believe that in the US the term "Welsh" is quite derogatory, so you see there's racism all over the bloody place. In Wales we are very used to sheep, but even they come in black and white, so you see the colour issue applies even here! ;):) No offence honest. Call black people "coloureds" if that makes you feel more comfortable, it's just you might get a negative reaction. I hope you don't call dual heritage people like me half -caste though :o :)

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:23 PM
:) No offence honest. Call black people "coloureds" if that makes you feel more comfortable, it's just you might get a negative reaction. I hope you don't call dual heritage people like me half -caste though :o :)
God no, I would describe you as a "lovely mixture of origins, boyo!":kiss:

OUT!
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:25 PM
God no, I would describe you as a "lovely mixture of origins, boyo!":kiss:Awww :wavey: :)

Ballbuster
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Who cares, brown, black, african-european, african american, Knee-grows, coloured, anything, but whatever I am I simply cannot be confused with being called white....and for that I'm grateful.

*JR*
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Who cares, brown, black, african-european, african american, Knee-grows, coloured, anything, but whatever I am I simply cannot be confused with being called white....and for that I'm grateful. Michael Jackson can! :devil:

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Its okay I know that most of them are from personal experience :lol:. I believe that in the US the term "Welsh" is quite derogatory, so you see there's racism all over the bloody place. In Wales we are very used to sheep, but even they come in black and white, so you see the colour issue applies even here! ;)

I have been living here all my life and I have never even hear anyone use "Welsh" so I am not sure how derogatory it is here.

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Michael Jackson can! :devil:

That's funny but that man is truly sick mentally.

Jaime Bahena
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Maybe you should attend more tennis matches. I've seen other player's parents go above and beyond mopping "up the water from between the seats."

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Maybe you should attend more tennis matches. I've seen other player's parents go above and beyond mopping "up the water from between the seats."

Examples please because I have never seen any of them do anything remotely related to what Richard has done at these tournaments.

fifiricci
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I have been living here all my life and I have never even hear anyone use "Welsh" so I am not sure how derogatory it is here.
Kewl! I heard there's a term "welshing on a bet" or something like that. I think it means trying to get out of something by cheating (lol!). Never mind, we're getting more civilised by the minute - look at Anthony Hopkins and CZJ (even though they've defected to your side of the pond)!!

boggs570
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Kewl! I heard there's a term "welshing on a bet" or something like that. I think it means trying to get out of something by cheating (lol!). Never mind, we're getting more civilised by the minute - look at Anthony Hopkins and CZJ (even though they've defected to your side of the pond)!!

Oh, I have never heard of the term. If I ever heard that term I will know what it means. You see, you learn something new every day on this board it is not all fighting and degrading each other that's why it is good to talk.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM
When he stands next to the daughter from another planet he sure is ;) :p

SJW
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Actually you and SJW are both wrong! If by Europe, you are including UK as well. Coloured is an unacceptable term here also :p It's sad when young people continue to use these offensive terms, believing they are okay.
not really. depends who you're talking to. in the US, a black person may kick your ass if you say coloured. in the UK, well, where i live which could be a city that represents the UK as a whole in terms of diversity, it's ok. more people say black, but no one is gonna think twice if you say coloured really.

as for half-caste...black and white people alike say it where i live...:o

*JR*
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:26 PM
not really. depends who you're talking to. in the US, a black person may kick your ass if you say coloured. in the UK, well, where i live which could be a city that represents the UK as a whole in terms of diversity, it's ok. more people say black, but no one is gonna think twice if you say coloured really.

as for half-caste...black and white people alike say it where i live...:o Don't Race Related conversations make you miss Diya? :devil:

Venus Forever
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Back to the subject... :rolleyes:

Richard seemed very outspoken in the beginning because he was trying to hype up his daughters. As soon as they came to be what he said they would be, that's when he chilled out and let them write their own story.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Back to the subject... :rolleyes:

Richard seemed very outspoken in the beginning because he was trying to hype up his daughters. As soon as they came to be what he said they would be, that's when he chilled out and let them write their own story.
You are such a physco bitch ...why the f*ck do u give people so many bad feedback ? The comment i made about him standing next to the daughter from another planet was a play on VENUS name..it was in NO WAY a put down..but hey..you just better really watch out with your feedbacks from now on or i will see that you are kicked off this board. PERIOD end of conversation and your also BLOCKED.

Rocketta
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:50 AM
ballbuster....u got to stop making me laugh with posts out of the blue....:lol:

r u sure you're not Richard on the down low? ;)

OUT!
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:52 PM

as for half-caste...black and white people alike say it where i live...:owhere do you live? :eek: