PDA

View Full Version : if u were in sprems position, would u take the point???

Mr_Molik
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:56 AM
i definitely would :angel:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:59 AM
if i was a 19 year old who barely speaks english playing a huge match on centre court against venus williams at wimbledon and the ump gave me a point, i wouldnt protest if she complained, but i sure as hell wouldnt say anything

GoGoMaggie
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:15 AM
I would have no hesitation to take the point. It's a matter of how much or badly you wanna win. It's not cheating in the slightest. at any level of competitive tennis, it's a normal state of mind to take advantage of your "luck" as much as possible. It's just the same thing when you know a call was wrong but since the point went in your favor, you don't say anything. I don't see any difference.

AgassiGirl16
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Honestly...I would. Venus was serving...and she clearly didn't notice...so I wouldn't have said anything.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I would take it...but after thinking about it, i would feel really guilty. I actually have a conscience :angel: . But if i didn't know, i would feel bad after, but i would know that it wasn't my fault.

AgassiGirl16
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Hey...I'd feel bad too...but Venus did have how many set points? She had so many chances...her fault..haha.

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM
If I was sure there was a mistake I would probably say something. I believe sportsmanship is more important than winning and I would expect my opponent to do the same. If I had a strong suspicion they knew and didn't say anything I probably wouldn't do them any favors next time.

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I probably wouldn't, if the umpire ever confuses the score, I go up and ask them to confirm it. Nothing worse than playing without knowing the score.

bw2082
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Being the control freak that I am, I would have said it was wrong without thinking about whether or not I should.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM
I'm like Andy Roddick and I would have a problem taking a point I didn't earn regardless of who the opponent is. Mainly because I have a conscience and wouldn't want to be accused of being a cheater.

LindsayRocks89
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:40 AM
no matter the circumstances, i wouldn't be able to take the point, i would just go up to the empire and be like, you have the score wrong and gave me an extra point

Jane
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:53 AM
If I was certain about what had happened, I would say something. If I was more like, "huh, what just happened" and my opponent was ready to serve and everyone was proceeding as if things were correct, I would probably playon and not interrupt play. The middle of a tiebreak is not the time to stop and try to analyze what is going on if you are not sure.

SM
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:59 AM
absolutely.

im sure everyone here would i mean c'mon this win is what you have worker your WHOLE life virtually every day for.

Andrew.
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I would absolutely take it.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Hey...I'd feel bad too...but Venus did have how many set points? She had so many chances...her fault..haha.
and without that extra point, she would have one more...

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:08 AM
I would take it, then feel bad about it until I rationalized it to myself that Venus had 3 set points, and I would then feel better about it!

chris whiteside
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I am aghast that there are so many posters who would actually take the point knowingly.

This is cheating.

fifiricci
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM
if i was a 19 year old who barely speaks english playing a huge match on centre court against venus williams at wimbledon and the ump gave me a point, i wouldnt protest if she complained, but i sure as hell wouldnt say anything
I dont think any of the top players would have corrected the mistake in favour of their opponent either! Can you honestly imagine ANY of them doing that???!!!

GoGoMaggie
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I am aghast that there are so many posters who would actually take the point knowingly.

This is cheating.
So you say it's not cheating when a call is clearly wrong but just because you won the point even though you know the call was wrong, you say nothing and pretend as if you earned it?

Rafe306
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Hell yea..what a great opportunity to get that point too. No reason to get on Sprem's case, it's Venus's fault for not noticing

*Yoav*
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
i will never take a point in that way...

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I would take it, then feel bad about it until I rationalized it to myself that Venus had 3 set points, and I would then feel better about it!
:lol: cheater :p

Martian Willow
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:28 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3711834&postcount=30

:wavey:

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Willow, my post was not meant as an incrimination of Karolina - I give her the benefit of the doubt. If I knew for sure she knew and didn't say anything I'd be pissed but I'm not a mind reader.

Martian Willow
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Willow, I am giving Karolina the benefit of the doubt. If I knew for sure she knew and didn't say anything I'd be pissed but I'm not a mind reader.

...my point is that if I knew, I wouldn't be in Sprems position, so the question is irrelevant... :)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM
If you were in Williams' position, would you have said something ???

:rolleyes:

Martian Willow
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM
...I think you edited...my post wasn't a direct response to yours, it was a response to the thread... :)

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM
...my point is that if I knew, I wouldn't be in Sprems position, so the question is irrelevant... :)
I didn't know you were a mind reader. :worship:

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:54 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:56 AM
If you were in Williams' position, would you have said something ???

:rolleyes:
Hard to say, but if I was sure or reasonably sure I probably would have.

Martian Willow
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:56 AM
I didn't know you were a mind reader. :worship:

...I know you didn't... :)

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM

This is cheating.
I am not surprised, especially because it was against a Williams sister. People think it is OK to cheat against them because, IMO, they have won so much over the past few years and people are resentful of their sucess, but that is our society, as sick as that sounds.

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM
...I know you didn't... :)
Please send me a pm including cost as I'd like to get a reading. :)

Dumbass Mofo
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Hells Mothafuckin' Yeah i'd take it! whenever you get something for free, take that shit! :D

!<blocparty>!
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM
So you say it's not cheating when a call is clearly wrong but just because you won the point even though you know the call was wrong, you say nothing and pretend as if you earned it?
:worship:

Yes, exactly, its the same thing basically - the umpire and linesman have both made errors, but you know that the ball was good, but you dont say anything.

I have NEVER seen a player say "no, that shot I hit was out" to the umpire. So really, this "cheating" as some call it, happens in almost every match.

Vass22
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I think I would, although I never take points when I'm playng for leisure.

chris whiteside
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Unless I have been making posts in my sleep which I know nothing about I have never mentioned anything about player's reactions to line calls being wrong.

SM
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
this thread is pointless. the match is over. nothing will change the result.

YourBoyDan
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I would take it.....

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM
yes i would!

GoSandrine
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM
what is this world coming to? :sobbing:

Greenout
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM
As a PHILISTINE...I decline to answer this one! ;) :tape: