PDA

View Full Version : The most controversial events in women's tennis...

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:03 AM
How would you rank them?

Seles/Maleeva in Hamburg...the stabbing
Venus/Spirlea at the US Open 97...the bump
Hingis/Graf at the French Open 99'...the crybaby :p
Venus/Serena at Indian Wells SF 01'...the walkover
Serena/Justine at the French Open 03'...the hand
Martinez/Schnyder at Charleston 04'...the handshake
Venus/Sprem at Wimbleodn 04'...the extra point

Dang, Venus and Serena have been involved in a lot.

I'm know im missing a lot

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Crying isn't a controversy. it's just being upset. Serving underhand isn't a controversy either.

PointBlank
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:08 AM
The Swiss seem to be involved in the bad sportsmanship parts alot :p

Just Kidding :)

nate_my_love
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:08 AM
How would you rank them?

Venus/Spirlea at the US Open 99...the bump

I thought Seles got stabbed when she was playing against Graf in Hamburg :confused:

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I thought Seles got stabbed when she was playing against Graf in Hamburg :confused:

No, but the guy was a fan of Graf.

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:10 AM

No, I'm not sure though... She could be playing Maleeva... She was stabbed by a STEFFI FAN, that is one thing that I am sure of!

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Why do soooo many people think that?

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Why do soooo many people think that?

Because the press was all about Graf. I think that's a pretty normal and logical thought.

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:11 AM

I Missed This One... Anybody Want To Fill Me In?

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM
No, all of you are wrong. It was Graf who did it. :rolleyes:
It WAS at Seles-Maleeva match. And it wasn't a Graf fan who did it. It was a mentally ill man who claimed to be her fan.

alwayshingis

Schnyder got upset like she always does because Conchi kept wanting to get the ball back that she hit her winners with. And Schnyder should have won the match, but she got the ball thing in her head and fell apart, and she kept trying to get the balls before Martinez could. Then she had some not so kind words for Conchi and that's the controversy.

Jericho
after the match Patty faked out her handshake...she extended her hand and when Conchi was going to shake it she pulled away and said i believe "you disgusting b*tch" or at least that what people said she said. :tape:

SilK

The crying wasn't the controversy. The serve wasn't the controversy either... doesn't anybody remember Hingis walking down the other side of the court to point out the sign where the ball was out, she got a warning for it. THAT was the whole deal!

nate_my_love
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Yeah...I always thought it was about Graf and Seles.
Now you have opened up my eyes.
It's probably because of the media...that's why I didn't know that she was playing agianst Maleeva :I(

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Schnyder got upset like she always does because Conchi kept wanting to get the ball back that she hit her winners with. And Schnyder should have won the match, but she got the ball thing in her head and fell apart, and she kept trying to get the balls before Martinez could. Then she had some not so kind words for Conchi and that's the controversy.

FOR REAL... oh my. Hehe, would have loved to see that happen!

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:15 AM

That was just ridiculous! At least they never pulled that crap again after they got such a bad reaction.

RainyDays
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Ok now i'm confused, cos i thought it was a seles/graf match too.

So, Monica was playing Maleeva, won, and a STEFFI fan stabbed her? had monica beat steffi in the previous round or something to make this fan act out of control?

I'm sorry for my ignorance btw.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
had monica beat steffi in the previous round or something to make this fan act out of control?

...because that would justify it. :rolleyes:

He was just clearly mentally ill.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:18 AM
im so shocked that people dunno that she was playing against maggie...a deranged steffi fan who thought that steffi was the true #1 stabbed monica

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I don't know why I even bother. It was QF of a tier II event in 1993. Does it make sense they played each other up to that point of the tournament?
And Monica didn't beat Maleeva. It was during a break in the 2nd set when GŁnter Parche, as that man's name was stabbed Monica. He was a mentally ill man obssesed with Graf. He WASN'T a fan.

Kart
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:21 AM
im so shocked that people dunno that she was playing against maggie...a deranged steffi fan who thought that steffi was the true #1 stabbed monica
I'm quite shocked as well :speakles:.

For the number of people that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the stabbing on this board (not necessarily blaming people in this thread), you'd think everyone would have their facts straight now.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:23 AM
I'm quite shocked as well :speakles:.

For the number of people that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the stabbing on this board (not necessarily blaming people in this thread), you'd think everyone would have their facts straight now.

Soo much effort in that post...

SilK
well, this thread is just about controversy in womens tennis... it's not 'about' the stabbing in general!

Kart
Cut and paste alwayshingis :).

I never put much effort into my posts anymore.

RainyDays
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:24 AM
...because that would justify it. :rolleyes:

He was just clearly mentally ill.

um, i wasnt saying that for the stabbing to be justified, monica would have to beat steffi in a previous round.

jesus, you people REALLY twist things around. i was just asking why a GRAF fan stabbed SELES after she played MALEEVA. i thought maybe his REASON had to do with SELES beating GRAF BEFOREHAND. obviously, as iluvserena just stated, it was becasue he thought steffi was the true #1 player and because he was mentally ill, as you, alwayshingis, have stated. I wasn't following tennis when it happened, and i apologize for believing the media who said it was a steffi/monica match. and in NO WAY do i think this stabbing was justified. i was asking for a reason.
i'm not apologizing for my ignorance again because i feel bad enough not knowing a whole lot about the situation.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:25 AM
um, i wasnt saying that for the stabbing to be justified, monica would have to beat steffi in a previous round.

jesus, you people REALLY twist things around. i was just asking why a GRAF fan stabbed SELES after she played MALEEVA. i thought maybe his REASON had to do with SELES beating GRAF BEFOREHAND. obviously, as iluvserena just stated, it was becasue he thought steffi was the true #1 player and because he was mentally ill, as you, alwayshingis, have stated. I wasn't following tennis when it happened, and i apologize for believing the media who said it was a steffi/monica match. and in NO WAY do i think this stabbing was justified. i was asking for a reason.
i'm not apologizing for my ignorance again because i feel bad enough not knowing a whole lot about the situation.

I understand. I apologize for the previous post.

Jericho
Soo much effort in that post...
ahh...thats the beauty of "copy" and "paste: :p

RainyDays
I understand. I apologize for the previous post.

Thanks. i accept your apology. :)

alwayshingis
ahh...thats the beauty of "copy" and "paste: :p

Still though. much more than i would have gone to.

Kart
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:27 AM

I wasn't having a go at you - if you didn't know, you didn't know. No harm in asking :wavey: ... well there is but that depends on who you ask.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:27 AM
oh what part of LA do you live in alwayshingis?

§CharlDa§
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Im not really sure about it, but wouldn't Seles pass Graf as number one with that win? That'S why he acted like that?

alwayshingis
oh what part of LA do you live in alwayshingis?

Eagle Rock.

CJ07
another controversial one was the beads in 1999 Australian Open. Poor Venus, too much controversey! :lol:

RainyDays
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:29 AM
I wasn't having a go at you - if you didn't know, you didn't know. No harm in asking :wavey: ... well there is but that depends on who you ask.

I know you weren't having a go at me. See, thats why I asked, because I knew ya'll would answer me. :wavey: Don't worry, I wasn't angry at your post.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:29 AM
another controversial one was the beads in 1999 Australian Open. Poor Venus, too much controversey! :lol:

That wins for the most hilarious controversy. At least it got them to stop wearing the beads. i can't imagine being able to cencentrate with beads (or for that matter those earrings Venus wears).

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Im not really sure about it, but wouldn't Seles pass Graf as number one with that win? That'S why he acted like that?
No, because Seles already was #1. For a long time.

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:34 AM
OK... let's skip to French Open FINAL... alwayshingis must be able to fill me in.

I am still wondering... I saw that final, and as I remember... Martina stepped to the other side of court to point out the sign of the error in the clay? Right? And she got a warning, didn't she?

I am almost SURE about this. But it could be I haven't got my facts straight!

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:35 AM
OK... let's skip to French Open FINAL... alwayshingis must be able to fill me in.

I am still wondering... I saw that final, and as I remember... Martina stepped to the other side of court to point out the sign of the error in the clay? Right? And she got a warning, didn't she?

I am almost SURE about this. But it could be I haven't got my facts straight!

I make it a point not to discuss this match anymore...but yes.

CJ07
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:37 AM
no no no, Monica was #1 by a long margin.
In fact, she was so far ahead she stayed #1 untill after Steffi won the french.

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:40 AM
I make it a point not to discuss this match anymore...but yes.

OK, sorrY! But thx for the answer... I loved Hingis even more after that match. But that could have been because I really never liked Graff! :)

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Eagle Rock.
cool i used to go to a church there :)

Greenout
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:00 AM
How would you rank them?

Venus/Spirlea at the US Open 99...the bump

This shows you how much people really do not know tennis
history.

Serena/Justine doesn't rank that high or is it that important.
Even Venus/Irina isn't that important to tennis history.

The list should be this...

Most Controversial moments of women's tennis.

1) Monica-vs- Maggie Hamburg, and loony guy stabs her in name of Graf.
2) Martina N. coming "out" officially to the general public.
3) The Battle of the Sexes- BJK -vs- Old Fart Bobby Riggs on TV.
4) Teenage tennis star Capriati goes AWOL after success and smokes
pot in Tokyo Hotel room , doesn't show up to the tournament
Next public appearance is in the 6 pm news arrested for shoplifting.
5) Dr. Rene Richards- transexual tennis player on the women's tour.
6) Steffi Graf beats Natasha Zvereva at RG 1988 6-0, 6-0
7) Richard Williams goes on American national news show [60 Minutes]
and tells them that he's breeding two future tennis Champions in his
own backyard in Compton, California.
8) Anna K becomes the worlds most famous tennis player, and even
one of the most richest w/out ever winning a single WTA title.
9) Young stars are rumoured to be being abused mentally and
physcially by their money hungry FATHERS, thus forcing the WTA
to change age requirements to play on the tour.
10) Women still not receiving the same prize money at WIMBLEDON.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:06 AM
history.

:worship: Forgive me almighty tennis god:worship:

hingis-seles
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Venus-Sprem isn't an unprecedented incident.

Monica and Mary Joe were playing a third-set tie-break in the Filderstadt quarters in 1989 and the score was 2-2. Monica's shot was calledout so she went to question it but lost the appeal. The score should have been 3-2 Fernandez but instead the umpire called out 5-2 Fernandez. Seles protested and called the tournament refree but since the match wasnot televised they had no way of knowing. Monica ended up losing the match.

I am pretty sure my scores for the tie-break are incorrect. I will verify them once I check in Monica's autobiography, where she wrote about this incident. What I am sure of is that Mary Joe was given 2 extra points because of the umpire's mistake.

Smackie
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Yep, a much more comprehensive list but still, none can beat the stabbing. That was just insane.

2 & 3 were controversial at the time, but looking back now, people just think, 'yeah?' coz homosexuality is more accepted than then. Same to the battle of the sexes. The top women certainly have the ability to beat some of the men.

But transexual player? That I missed!

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:22 AM
1. Seles' stabbing
2. A woman scorned
3. The Bump
4. Battle of the Sexes
5. Indian Wells 01 booing

Venus & Sprem doesn't make the top 5 IMO.

Smackie
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:25 AM
here it is a photo, StaccatoSilas: :lol:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8379/NOHANDSHAKEpattyconchita.jpg

I think this caption is very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heheh, to be honest, I never really liked Conchita and I would do the stabbing myself if I had to play her. Her feet tapping, ball-bouncing, requesting the same ball after winning a point....etc would annoy me no end.

Don't like superstitions.

Bright Red
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Getting stabbed should be in its own category. That was a purely evil act and I can't think of anything nearly as tragic as that one.

SelesFan70
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:28 AM
I think the Renee' Richards "thing" was a big controversy in tennis, too. He was a man that became a woman and wanted to play on the WTA Tour. :eek:

I think Alexandra Stevenson's allegations of lesbian stalkers is quite controversial. :lol:

Also, the Billie Jean King/Bobby Riggs match. :rolleyes:

And the Billie Jean King Fed Cup decision to pull Capriati out (which I applaud her for since Jennifer knew the rules :o ) was extremely controversial.

And, after the stabbing, only Gabriela Sabatini voted to FREEZE Monica's ranking at #1. Shame on the tour..shame indeed! :o

#1 Lindsay
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:42 AM
What about Justines "cramps" at 7 all in the 4th round of aussie open 2003

mboyle
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I remember that. The greedy whores.:roleyes: . Steffi cared only about being in the history books.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:49 AM
history.

Serena/Justine doesn't rank that high or is it that important.
Even Venus/Irina isn't that important to tennis history.

Most Controversial moments of women's tennis.

1) Monica-vs- Maggie Hamburg, and loony guy stabs her in name of Graf.
2) Martina N. coming "out" officially to the general public.
3) The Battle of the Sexes- BJK -vs- Old Fart Bobby Riggs on TV.
4) Teenage tennis star Capriati goes AWOL after success and smokes
pot in Tokyo Hotel room , doesn't show up to the tournament
Next public appearance is in the 6 pm news arrested for shoplifting.
5) Dr. Rene Richards- transexual tennis player on the women's tour.
6) Steffi Graf beats Natasha Zvereva at RG 1988 6-0, 6-0
7) Richard Williams goes on American national news show [60 Minutes]
and tells them that he's breeding two future tennis Champions in his
own backyard in Compton, California.
8) Anna K becomes the worlds most famous tennis player, and even
one of the most richest w/out ever winning a single WTA title.
9) Young stars are rumoured to be being abused mentally and
physcially by their money hungry FATHERS, thus forcing the WTA
to change age requirements to play on the tour.
10) Women still not receiving the same prize money at WIMBLEDON.

Wow....your horse is so high...... :eek:

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:58 AM
here it is a photo, StaccatoSilas: :lol:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8379/NOHANDSHAKEpattyconchita.jpg

I think this caption is very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

The look on Martinez's face is PRICELESS! :haha:

Calimero377
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM
no no no, Monica was #1 by a long margin.
In fact, she was so far ahead she stayed #1 untill after Steffi won the french.

Monica lead with 321 points to Graf's 300 points.
A very close lead. It was so close that Graf would have been #1 with a win at French Open (4 weeks after stabbing) anyway. Even if Seles had reached finals there.

Monica had a bigger lead at beginning of 1992 (277-219). Graf could narrow it considerably until just before the stabbing (April 1993).

Big margins we had at end of 1988 for example (Graf 325, Navratilova 211). Or summer of 1994 (Graf 437, Sanchez 279).

Please remember that they had a "Average Points" system back then, that allowed a player to maintain her points although being out of play for some months. They added all points (incl. bonus points) and divided them through the number of tournaments played (divisor at least 13). so it's even more remarkable that Graf overtook Seles ALREADY 4 weeks after Seles was stabbed. Indication how close it was in spring 1993 between Graf and Seles.

propi
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
One of the most controversial events IMO, appart of some of those already quoted above, is what happened in one of the Spring tournies in USA about some of the lines being clearly wrong painted in a match between Kremer and someone else I think :o

Sam L
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Martinez/Schnyder at Charleston 04'...
What happened there?

Big controversy...

1933 US Championships... Helen Wills retires whilst down 6-8 6-3 0-3 against Helen Jacobs. :)

SilK
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:50 AM
What happened there?

Big controversy...

1933 US Championships... Helen Wills retires whilst down 6-8 6-3 0-3 against Helen Jacobs. :)

Look at the SNYDER/MARTINEZ Pictures... Snyder refused to shake Martinez her hand after the match and had some ''unkind'' words for her! Hehe

And-uh, about 1933, did you live to see that? :tape: :lol:

Sam L
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Look at the SNYDER/MARTINEZ Pictures... Snyder refused to shake Martinez her hand after the match and had some ''unkind'' words for her! Hehe

And-uh, about 1933, did you live to see that? :tape: :lol:
It didn't say I needed to see the controversy. :angel:

Vass22
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:07 PM
"Venus/Spirlea at the US Open 99...the bump" Would anyone care to explain? I wasn't into tennis then, and it's not that famous.

atina
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I remember that. The greedy whores.:roleyes: . Steffi cared only about being in the history books.
Yes that is so obvious about her, isn't it? It's only about history books and attention and being the greatest. She would do anything for that, wouldn't she? Just look at her now, she all over the place trying to defend her place in history. It would be nice if she could be a bit more like the other players and be less interested in the attention and the fame. :rolleyes:

(BTW Steffi didn't vote, she wasn't there)

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
The stabbing. :sad:
The 1999 FO final. All of it.
The bump and Big White Turkey.
The "half-man" comments. :fiery:
The beads. :lol:
The hand.
Indian Wells asshole walkover crowd. :fiery:

*JR*
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Much as this may Shock Some, I feel That The Peppermint Player had every right to Cuss Conchi @ the FCC. And I think Passing Patty ova re. the final Gold Exempt for '03 (for someone Who Won 23 matches and lost 25 in '02, with *ahem* no titles) was a bigger scandal.

Sam L
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I don't think this Sprem/Venus incident should even be on here? :confused: Like I said, it's just like a line call mistake.

OUT!
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:52 PM
LOL, I though thw whole Indian Wells controversy was more about the alleged racism that Serena faced from the crowd in the final against Clijsters. The semi-final walkover paled in comparison.

alwayshingis
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM
LOL, I though thw whole Indian Wells controversy was more about the alleged racism that Serena faced from the crowd in the final against Clijsters. The semi-final walkover paled in comparison.

There was no racism. I was in the crowd for that match. All anyone was talking about was how it was poor sportsmanship for Venus to withdraw in the semis.

Calimero377
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Monica and Mary Joe were playing a third-set tie-break in the Filderstadt quarters in 1989 and the score was 2-2. Monica's shot was calledout so she went to question it but lost the appeal. The score should have been 3-2 Fernandez but instead the umpire called out 5-2 Fernandez. Seles protested and called the tournament refree but since the match wasnot televised they had no way of knowing. Monica ended up losing the match.

I am pretty sure my scores for the tie-break are incorrect. I will verify them once I check in Monica's autobiography, where she wrote about this incident. What I am sure of is that Mary Joe was given 2 extra points because of the umpire's mistake.

That Seles-Fernandez match WAS televised, in Germany at least.
The score was 2-1 in Monica's favour when a shot of her's was called out. Monica's protests were futile and when player's resumed play the umpire called "3-2 Fernandez" instead of "2 all".
That's the way I remember it. And I still have a German newspaper clip of this incident to support me.

Monica wrote complete bullshit in her biography concerning this incident.
BTW, comparable bullshit about Steffi's reasons why she smashed a locker room wall when she lost to Monica at Berlin 1990. And that Steffi never called her after the stabbing. A disgraceful book. Well, it was from 1996. In the meantime Seles has matured a lot.

vettipooh
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
The crying wasn't the controversy. The serve wasn't the controversy either... doesn't anybody remember Hingis walking down the other side of the court to point out the sign where the ball was out, she got a warning for it. THAT was the whole deal! That,and the crowd booing her,along with Hingis refusing to come back on court for the ceremony.Her mom had to literally uphold her,and console her on court!!!;)

vettipooh
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM
The score was 2-1 in Monica's favour when a shot of her's was called out. Monica's protests were futile and when player's resumed play the umpire called "3-2 Fernandez" instead of "2 all".
That's the way I remember it. And I still have a German newspaper clip of this incident to support me.

BTW, comparable bullshit about Steffi's reasons why she smashed a locker room wall when she lost to Monica at Berlin 1990. And that Steffi never called her after the stabbing. A disgraceful book. Well, it was from 1996. In the meantime Seles has matured a lot. Don't be so judgemental!!You might upset some monica fans!!;)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Is my memory playing tricks on me...but wasn't the Spirlea/Venus accident BEFORE 1999 ?? I'm pretty sure it was 1997.....

*JR*
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I am pretty sure my scores for the tie-break are incorrect. I will verify them once I check in Monica's autobiography, where she wrote about this incident. What I am sure of is that Mary Joe was given 2 extra points because of the umpire's mistake. A sublime irony here is that Monica's longtime agent is MJ's husband, IMG's Tony Godsick.

Jericho
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I don't think this Sprem/Venus incident should even be on here? :confused: Like I said, it's just like a line call mistake.
not at all like a line call mistake...a line call mistake in all honesty deserving that point and there was actually a decision whether to call it in or out...not only was this point undeserved, but it gave Venus one less set point, put them on the wrong side of the court, made them switch sides on the tiebreak one point too early, added confusion to both players

Elvira
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM
after the match Patty faked out her handshake...she extended her hand and when Conchi was going to shake it she pulled away and said i believe "you disgusting b*tch" or at least that what people said she said. :tape:

:haha: oh my god, I fucking love Patty! What a headcase!
I wish I could see that match

Veritas
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I also happen to have a newspaper clipping which said that the score was 2-2, but was mistakenly called 4-2 in Mary-Joe's favour.

BTW, comparable bullshit about Steffi's reasons why she smashed a locker room wall when she lost to Monica at Berlin 1990. And that Steffi never called her after the stabbing. A disgraceful book. Well, it was from 1996. In the meantime Seles has matured a lot.

You seem to have in-depth knowledge of what is and what isn't bullshit, don't you?

OUT!
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:38 PM
There was no racism. I was in the crowd for that match. All anyone was talking about was how it was poor sportsmanship for Venus to withdraw in the semis.Which is why I said alleged racism. Besdies why should a player risk further injury merely to satisfy the crowd? The woman was injured for goodness sake.

*JR*
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
:haha: oh my god, I fucking love Patty! What a headcase!
I wish I could see that match PP Is Indeed a headcase, but in Charleston, Conchi's Chicancery Clear! :p

chris whiteside
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Can anyone remember who started the complaints about Monica Seles' grunting at Wimbledon 1992? I think it might have been Natalie Tauziat or Jana Novotna. But it really put Monica off in the final when she had to curb her natural instinct.

I'm not saying that Graf wouldn't have won anyway but I certainly don't think it would have been so one-sided even though it was on grass.

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Can anyone remember who started the complaints about Monica Seles' grunting at Wimbledon 1992? I think it might have been Natalie Tauziat or Jana Novotna. But it really put Monica off in the final when she had to curb her natural instinct.

I'm not saying that Graf wouldn't have won anyway but I certainly don't think it would have been so one-sided even though it was on grass.
Started by Tauziat and then continued by Navratilova ("She sounds like a stuck pig." :o ).

chris whiteside
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Started by Tauziat and then continued by Navratilova ("She sounds like a stuck pig." :o ).

Thanks.

Calimero377
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I also happen to have a newspaper clipping which said that the score was 2-2, but was mistakenly called 4-2 in Mary-Joe's favour.

You seem to have in-depth knowledge of what is and what isn't bullshit, don't you?

Yes.
Because I watched the Seles-Fernandez match in Filderstadt.
And because I know what happened to Graf 4 days before the Seles match in Berlin 1990.
:p

irma
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Yes.
Because I watched the Seles-Fernandez match in Filderstadt.
And because I know what happened to Graf 4 days before the Seles match in Berlin 1990.
:p
It was simply Monica's duty to tell about Steffi slamming the wall and reveal what crazy person she in fact is.
It's not that Steffi would ever have talked about it and would have sounded like she was even some what proud that she had the power to do things like that;)

:devil:@steffi

WILLIAMSES
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Because the press was all about Graf. I think that's a pretty normal and logical thought.

BECAUSE THE PSYCHOTIC FAN MADE STEFFI THE BIGGEST BENEFICIARY OF THE STABBING BY REINSTATING HIS COUNTRYWOMAN TO THE TOP OF WOMEN'S TENNIS AGAIN. AND THE FACT THAT IT HAPPENED IN GERMANY PERPETRATED BY A GERMAN. :(

PRINCESS SERENA RULEZ. :bounce:

Markus
Jun 28th, 2004, 12:01 PM
How would you rank them?

Venus/Spirlea at the US Open 97...the bump

for me not controversial but a "famous" german newspaper thought it was worth a headline...1989 fo final steffi against arantxa...steffi lost and said after that match "i had my days..." it was her first big loss after big wins in the slams... ;)

Helen Lawson
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I don't know about tennis, but the two most controversial moments in Oscar history are when I lost in 1947 and in 1955.

Calimero377
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:21 PM
BECAUSE THE PSYCHOTIC FAN MADE STEFFI THE BIGGEST BENEFICIARY OF THE STABBING BY REINSTATING HIS COUNTRYWOMAN TO THE TOP OF WOMEN'S TENNIS AGAIN. AND THE FACT THAT IT HAPPENED IN GERMANY PERPETRATED BY A GERMAN. :(

PRINCESS SERENA RULEZ. :bounce:

No, Steffi was robbed from beating Seles in some more Wimbledons and US Opens.
Saw tapes of Wimbledon 92 and USO 96 finals yesterday. Seles beaten like a drum. Great! :bounce:

raquel
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:19 AM
for me not controversial but a "famous" german newspaper thought it was worth a headline...1989 fo final steffi against arantxa...steffi lost and said after that match "i had my days..." it was her first big loss after big wins in the slams... ;)

Oh yes Steffi blaming her period for losing that final. Well that French Open final weekend is played the same weekend every year so funny how it wasn't an issue during her 6 wins there.

RainyDays
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I think a controversial event is Jennifer Capriati. the expectations, leading straight do downfall, then to come back and win.

JennyS
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:37 AM
I can think of some other controversial moments:

The WTA moving the Tour Championships to Munich
Jen getting kicked off of the Fed Cup team
Martina's "half a man" comment about Amelie