PDA

View Full Version : Watt's Knew He Made The Mistake, But There Was Nothing He Could Do About It

CJ07
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Think about it. After he called 2-all, Sprem hit the second serve and Venus won that point, then he called 3-2. With that goofy smerk, I originally had thought "yeah you go Sprem." But he probably was thinking, "oh shit! But there's nothing I can do."

Why? Because it was too late. The only think that could have been done was to say "replay the point" RIGHT after Sprem hit to the open court, but by the time everyone realized what had happened, nothing could be done. Or atleast thats what I'm sure the rule is.

That's probably why none of the linesmen said anything either, because it was too late.

That's the only LOGICAL explanation.
I know this has been talked about for far too long, but I just wanted (as a Venus fan especially) to give Watts a little slack here.

Asmus
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:50 PM
That could likely be true. If they replayed two points, it definitely would have distracted both players even more.

CJ07
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM
That could likely be true. If they replayed two points, it definitely would have distracted both players even more.
exactly. I'm suprised that wasn't his defense.

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:46 PM
see, I think this is true indeed. Once a point is played after there has been a mistake in the last point, that point doesn't matter anymore. It's done... nothing can be done!

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Bullshit!!!

He cheated Venus. This man is a career professional.

Martian Willow
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:52 PM
...at 3-2 he could have corrected himself...that was the first time he called the score after a point...and called it wrong...when he said 2-2 they were in the middle of a point, so there was no reason to call a score...that said, I'm amused by all these attempts to divine the thoughts of complete strangers, based purely on fleeting glimpses of their facial expressions...keep trying... :)

Bright Red
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM
I doubt it would have been worse had they replayed the point. If he knew something was wrong, he should have done something.

CC
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:38 AM
It was never too late. It's an important tournament and occasion: make the correction and replay from 2-1 onwards. The other officials were just as daft(?)

Leo_DFP
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:43 AM
One point later wasn't too late. A few points later would have been, but not one point later. I don't think that "smirk" of his was a realization of the fuck up, but a bit of a laugh/smile at the players for forgetting what side they were supposed to be one, according to him.

fammmmedspin
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
`Sorry folks but Ted often has that stupid smirk for no reason at all - he may have been smirking because the players seemed confused by his clear giving of the score and he was reassuring them everything was hunky dory . He could have been thinking about the strawberries and cream he was having after the match........

Bright Red
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:56 AM
`Sorry folks but Ted often has that stupid smirk for no reason at all - he may have been smirking because the players seemed confused by his clear giving of the score and he was reassuring them everything was hunky dory . He could have been thinking about the strawberries and cream he was having after the match........
Well he can eat strawberries and cream non-stop at this point. He won't have to worry about being interrupted by the matches or having to keep score.