PDA

View Full Version : Is Nav obsessed with the Williams?

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM
I mean it's like in every other interview or article she is obsessed with talking about them. She repeats most of the same things, but does she do this when Jen, Davenport, or any other top player loses? :rolleyes:

Wimbledon-Williams no longer invincible - Navratilova
2004-06-26 12:06:48 GMT (Reuters)

LONDON, June 26 (Reuters) - The Williams sisters Serena and Venus may have lost their aura of invincibility in women's tennis for good, according to nine-times former Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova.

Venus, Wimbledon champion in 2000 and 2001 and runner-up to Serena in 2002 and 2003, was beaten by Croatian Karolina Sprem in the second round at this year's Wimbledon and lost in the French Open quarter-finals with Serena earlier this month.

Venus has not won a grand slam since her 2001 U.S. Open win and Navratilova said: "It seems the Williams sisters have lost the aura of invincibility they once had.

"Neither of them has it right now, but I think Venus in particular hasn't had it for a while.

"She's lost confidence in herself and the rest of the players realise when that happens that they have a chance."

Writing in The Guardian newspaper on Saturday, 47-year-old Navratilova added: "Winning and losing is a habit. The winning habit that Venus had is gone and with it, naturally, the aura of invincibility.

"I think that disappeared when she began to lose regularly to Serena, as she did in the last two Wimbledon finals and as she has in three other grand slam finals in the last two years."

"That's what got to her first because she knew that she had everyone else covered but she could never beat her sister.

"I don't know how introspective Venus is or how much she thinks about things but I would say that devastated her more than she let on and perhaps more than even she knows.

"The Williams sisters used to be able to back it up and now they can't and no matter how much swagger you've got, if you don't back it up with your game, then it's all just a bunch of smoke and people don't fall for that for very long," she said.

Navratilova matched Venus's performance at Wimbledon this year by reaching the second round of the singles. She believes the two sisters need to forget their dress designing and other outside distractions if they want to re-establish their dominance.

OUTSIDE HOBBIES

"The good news for Venus is that the downward spiral may not be permanent, though you can only retrieve the aura of invincibility by winning," Navratilova said.

"Tennis has to be the only thing in your life. You can have a hobby that you do last thing at night if you like but you can't be scheduling your tennis around your hobbies.

"You can have outside interests but tennis has to be firmly number one. It has to be the most important thing and I don't get the feeling that it was for either Venus or Serena.

"It's almost as though the winning came so easily that they almost got distracted and sooner or later that is going to catch up with you. I think it's already caught up with Venus and it may have caught up with Serena as well. I hope not."

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM
The press is obsessed with them. They ask every damn player who has an interview about them.

pigam
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Is the press obsessed with Navratilova? yes
Is the press obsessed with the WS and there "slump": yes
Is the press obsessed with Nav's opinion on the WS's "slump": yes
Are some posters obsessed with Navratilova: definetly

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Are some posters obsessed with Navratilova: definetly Czechfan, Sam L,and Volcana?:tape: :lol: ;)

pigam
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Who Czechfan, and Volcana?:tape: :lol: ;)
:lol:
them too ;)

ps: I'm gonna start another thread about her!
I mean it :bounce: :bounce:

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM
them too ;)

Please, spare us. We are hoping Nav will spare us from playing in the future again.

She's such a media hog.

Do you think she's after sponsorships Harloo?

I think she's broke.

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM
them too ;)

:sad: That's sad. I just put the question out there about her because she seems to foam at the mouth with discussing a sister. :tape:

pigam
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:48 PM
:sad: That's sad. I just put the question out there about her because she seems to foam at the mouth with discussing a sister. :tape:
:confused: I know

gweeny
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I agree, that the media is obsessed with the Williams sisters. They ask ALL players a question regarding the Williams sisters. And to be honest, the players are damned if they give an opinion, and damned if they don't.

If Martina said, "Please I don't want to talk about Venus. I would rather answer a question about MY tennis". The media will have a field day about it.

Hey, when the media stops asking questions regarding Venus and Serena, then it means the Williams sisters popularity is down.

lizchris
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I am really sick and tired of Martina N's comments about the Williams sisters aura of invincibility being over and they need to forget about their outside interests. Just because they have lives and she doesn't isn't their problem; it's hers. If the sisters have any invincibility, it is because they other players gave it to them by being mentally fragile and the sisters being mentally strong.

And yes, she and the meida are obseded with the sisters.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I mean it's like in every other interview or article she is obsessed with talking about them. She repeats most of the same things, but does she do this when Jen, Davenport, or any other top player loses? :rolleyes:

Wimbledon-Williams no longer invincible - Navratilova
2004-06-26 12:06:48 GMT (Reuters)

LONDON, June 26 (Reuters) - The Williams sisters Serena and Venus may have lost their aura of invincibility in women's tennis for good, according to nine-times former Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova.

Venus, Wimbledon champion in 2000 and 2001 and runner-up to Serena in 2002 and 2003, was beaten by Croatian Karolina Sprem in the second round at this year's Wimbledon and lost in the French Open quarter-finals with Serena earlier this month.

Venus has not won a grand slam since her 2001 U.S. Open win and Navratilova said: "It seems the Williams sisters have lost the aura of invincibility they once had.

"Neither of them has it right now, but I think Venus in particular hasn't had it for a while.

"She's lost confidence in herself and the rest of the players realise when that happens that they have a chance."

Writing in The Guardian newspaper on Saturday, 47-year-old Navratilova added: "Winning and losing is a habit. The winning habit that Venus had is gone and with it, naturally, the aura of invincibility.

"I think that disappeared when she began to lose regularly to Serena, as she did in the last two Wimbledon finals and as she has in three other grand slam finals in the last two years."

"That's what got to her first because she knew that she had everyone else covered but she could never beat her sister.

"I don't know how introspective Venus is or how much she thinks about things but I would say that devastated her more than she let on and perhaps more than even she knows.

"The Williams sisters used to be able to back it up and now they can't and no matter how much swagger you've got, if you don't back it up with your game, then it's all just a bunch of smoke and people don't fall for that for very long," she said.

Navratilova matched Venus's performance at Wimbledon this year by reaching the second round of the singles. She believes the two sisters need to forget their dress designing and other outside distractions if they want to re-establish their dominance.

OUTSIDE HOBBIES

"The good news for Venus is that the downward spiral may not be permanent, though you can only retrieve the aura of invincibility by winning," Navratilova said.

"Tennis has to be the only thing in your life. You can have a hobby that you do last thing at night if you like but you can't be scheduling your tennis around your hobbies.

"You can have outside interests but tennis has to be firmly number one. It has to be the most important thing and I don't get the feeling that it was for either Venus or Serena.

"It's almost as though the winning came so easily that they almost got distracted and sooner or later that is going to catch up with you. I think it's already caught up with Venus and it may have caught up with Serena as well. I hope not."

NO..but you and this board seem to be :D

Philbo
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:47 AM
the truth hurts.....:)

Sam L
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Czechfan, Sam L,and Volcana?:tape: :lol: ;)
Idiot, build a bridge and get over it.

It's like you're looking for the next thing Martina says about the sisters. Pathetic. :tape:

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Idiot, build a bridge and get over it.

It's like you're looking for the next thing Martina says about the sisters. Pathetic. :tape:
Who has to?

She mentions them every time she opens her mouth.

Sam L
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Who has to?

She mentions them every time she opens her mouth.
Maybe she was asked about it?

Andy T
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I am really sick and tired of Martina N's comments about the Williams sisters aura of invincibility being over and they need to forget about their outside interests. Just because they have lives and she doesn't isn't their problem; it's hers. If the sisters have any invincibility, it is because they other players gave it to them by being mentally fragile and the sisters being mentally strong.

And yes, she and the meida are obseded with the sisters.
You're reading of what she said seems off the wall to me, Lizchris. She makes it very clear that she's not judging them and it's their choice what they do but she points out (from experience) that in order to dominate the game, you have to maintain tennis at the centre of your focus. Read any bio of any great - King, Court, Evert, Borg, McEnroe, Graf, Seles - and they all basically confirm this.

I actually believe that personally she would respect whatever decision they take but she is also a former president of the WTA, obviously loves women's tennis and knows how important the sisters are to the sport, and that is why, imo, she is kind of urging them to refocus.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
You're reading of what she said seems off the wall to me, Lizchris. She makes it very clear that she's not judging them and it's their choice what they do but she points out (from experience) that in order to dominate the game, you have to maintain tennis at the centre of your focus. Read any bio of any great - King, Court, Evert, Borg, McEnroe, Graf, Seles - and they all basically confirm this.

I actually believe that personally she would respect whatever decision they take but she is also a former president of the WTA, obviously loves women's tennis and knows how important the sisters are to the sport, and that is why, imo, she is kind of urging them to refocus.
The only thing off the wall are some of the WTA players, incliding one from your country. First the complaint was they were dominating the game and it is bad for tennis, now the complaint is that they aren't invincible anymore.

I wish some people would make up their minds as to what they want the sisters to do.

Fishnick
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
The only thing off the wall are some of the WTA players, incliding one from your country. First the complaint was they were dominating the game and it is bad for tennis, now the complaint is that they aren't invincible anymore.

I wish some people would make up their minds as to what they want the sisters to do.

This indicates how you are looking at the article. As a complaint. A Person who reads it who doesn't have a foot in either camp can see it for what is, an observation and a bloody good one at that.

griffin
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM
They were a dominating force in tennis, and still are to some extent despite injuries and some recent stumbles. They are a Big Deal.

Why is it shocking and upsetting to some people that they're news and get written about and commented on?

Andy T
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM

I have no country. Also, even if someone who was born on the same bit of land I live on said something, I don't see what that has to do with me. It seems to me that you're mixing apples and oranges: to me, MN's point is perfectly lucid, reasonable and makes sense: she wants to see all the top players fit and focussed so that we see many great matches. That is not commenting about whether or not they are dominating or invincible and has nothing to do with what anyone else - irrrespective of their place of birth - has said.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I have no country. Also, even if someone who was born on the same bit of land I live on said something, I don't see what that has to do with me. It seems to me that you're mixing apples and oranges: to me, MN's point is perfectly lucid, reasonable and makes sense: she wants to see all the top players fit and focussed so that we see many great matches. That is not commenting about whether or not they are dominating or invincible and has nothing to do with what anyone else - irrrespective of their place of birth - has said.
She may want to see all the top players fit, but like I said before, she was one of the ones complaining two years ago when the sisters were dominating saying it was bad for sport and now she is complaining that they are not invincible anymore?

She, nor the rest of the tour, can have it both ways. And I repeat; the sisters were never invincible; that was in the head of their opponents because of their own mental shortcomigs.