PDA

View Full Version : Richard's Response

DUNEMAN
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM
:wavey:
Tennis-Wimbledon-Life beyond baseline is vital- Richard Williams

LONDON, June 26 (Reuters) - Richard Williams is delighted that his tennis playing daughters have developed interests beyond the baseline.

Serena has taken some steps along the path to a part-time acting career, while Venus is studying interior design and both sisters also have a keen interest in fashion design.

Nine-times Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova said in a newspaper column on Saturday that the sisters need to forget their outside distractions if they want to re-establish their dominance of women's tennis.

"Tennis is not everything and it never will be," Williams said at Wimbledon on Saturday. "They are doing a lot of things right now and I think they are doing the right thing.

"If that means they don't play the type of tennis they once played, that is quite OK with the family."

Williams, their mentor and trainer as well as their father, said he had always told them that tennis should never be their all-consuming obssession.

"Venus and Serena were taught there is life beyond the baseline," he said. "They need to do other things than just play tennis."

"Serena is now thinking about trying to develop a film herself. I think that she should."

"It is very difficult for me to understand sometimes how a parent could raise a child just to be a tennis player," he added. "If you want to be well-rounded, you cannot just think of tennis, tennis, tennis."

Much as he admired champions like Navratilova, who returned to grand slam singles this year at the age of 47, Williams said he hoped his daughters would never be tempted down the comeback trail.

"I hope they never return," he said. "When Venus and Serena put their rackets down, I hope it is for good. I hope they don't do like the boxers do. They are too bright to continue this forever."

Venus Williams, Wimbledon champion in 2000 and 2001, was knocked out of this year's tournament in the second round and then flew straight home to resume her studies.

"I don't think any parent could ask for anything other than that," Williams said.

Serena, who has won the Wimbledon title for the last two years by beating her sister in the final, is still on course to retain her title -- when the rain finally lets up. :wavey:

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I do believe it's important to have some back-up NEXT TO TENNIS. I mean, it's sports, a carreer can be over in a second. If you always gave everything to tennis, you will fall in a big black hole after it... So, I think it's good that Serena and Venus do their things on the side!

DUNEMAN
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
'I do believe it's important to have some back-up NEXT TO TENNIS. I mean, it's sports, a carreer can be over in a second. If you always gave everything to tennis, you will fall in a big black hole after it... So, I think it's good that Serena and Venus do their things on the side!"

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM
@DUNEMAN:

haha, I'm talking experience here. I gave up 10 years of my life to make it in sports. When I didn't succeed in coming back after injury, I had nothing at all. One highschool diploma, and that was it... I fell deeeeeep. Real deep!

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Tennis is not everything and it never will be
:worship:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM
The problem is that the Williams have achieved fame and fortune because of tennis. If they were to leave the sport today, I think they would have prepare themselves for getting by with much less fame. He shouldn't underestimate the boost that tennis has given them beyond the court.

!<blocparty>!
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:55 PM
And this is his repsonse to Venus' loss right?

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM
The problem is that the Williams have achieved fame and fortune because of tennis. If they were to leave the sport today, I think they would have prepare themselves for getting by with much less fame. He shouldn't underestimate the boost that tennis has given them beyond the court. Who on the wta,hasn't?They have had the fame,now they have the money.Big deal!! All tennis players are in it to make some money!! It's a job like any other.If along the way,you become famous,then it's all good!!! They will always be known as the sisters who dominated the tour.good enough for them,good enough for me.They probably have enough money to buy the wta!! They don't need any more fame than they already have.......just the fortune!!!!!;)

VW#1
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I've always gotten the feeling that both of them, but particularly Venus have always looked at tennis as a means of getting them to where they really want to be. Tennis is something they are very good at so it would be ridiculous for them not to pursue it and waste their talent, but at the same time, tennis has given them more than enough for them to really do what they really want in life.

BigTennisFan
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
As much as I like Martina N., it's clear that she had nothing in her life to fall back on. Tennis was the be all and end all of her life. And while it's a nice kind of dog and pony show to see her make a comeback at 47, it kind of points out how sad it must be to have no life other than tennis.

That's why she doesn't understand Venus and Serena having other interests. Sure, if they were as single minded about tennis she was they could probably truly dominate everything.

It kills me that people make the point that Venus and Serena have an easier time to do other things because they are rich and famous from their tennis. Well Duh.

That goes for any profession. :p

gweeny
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
As much as I like Martina N., it's clear that she had nothing in her life to fall back on. Tennis was the be all and end all of her life. And while it's a nice kind of dog and pony show to see her make a comeback at 47, it kind of points out how sad it must be to have no life other than tennis.

That's why she doesn't understand Venus and Serena having other interests. Sure, if they were as single minded about tennis she was they could probably truly dominate everything.

It kills me that people make the point that Venus and Serena have an easier time to do other things because they are rich and famous from their tennis. Well Duh.

That goes for any profession. :p
:worship:

CJ07
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Richard is right...again. :cool:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Who on the wta,hasn't?They have had the fame,now they have the money.Big deal!! All tennis players are in it to make some money!! It's a job like any other.If along the way,you become famous,then it's all good!!! They will always be known as the sisters who dominated the tour.good enough for them,good enough for me.They probably have enough money to buy the wta!! They don't need any more fame than they already have.......just the fortune!!!!!;)
My point isn't that the Williamses aren't the only tennis players who've achieved fame because of the sport. Nor is my point that the Williamses are the only tennis players who are in it to make money. I think those statements pretty much cover every famous professional tennis player out there and who's ever played. And above all, my point isn't that the Williamses don't work hard for what they have.

My point is that if they were to leave the sport today, they would lose a huge advantage that they currently have-most likely in terms of fame and fortune. For example, the Nike and Reebok deals would probably diminish significantly. Also, I think Serena will get a whole lot more roles in TV and film if she continues to win than she would otherwise. They do a lot of stuff well (the fashion, the acting, the interior design, etc). But to me, of all the things they do, I feel that they play tennis better than anything else.

To sum it up, tennis doesn't make or break either of them, but it sure does help. And without it, the road would probably become a bit more difficult.

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:40 PM
true true... they haven't quite established themself outside the tennis world. sure they did things on the side. But they haven't made name (or fame) with that the way they did with playing tennis. And untill they do, they will have to stay on top in tennis, because they might have the fortune to do whatever they want... Fame comes and goes.

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:45 PM
The problem is that the Williams have achieved fame and fortune because of tennis. If they were to leave the sport today, I think they would have prepare themselves for getting by with much less fame. He shouldn't underestimate the boost that tennis has given them beyond the court.
I believe that both Venus and Serena will continue to be famous even after they leave the sport of tennis. They are both unique and different and I know they both will achieve their goals. Of course it will take some time to do it, but many people said they would never win a slam and both sisters did it and they won multiple times. ;)

spencercarlos
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Assuming they are not doing their best in tennis just because they are not putting their whole attention on it its really bullshit, if that would be true then they are not the champions i thought they were.

Well then there you see if they want to have a career with 4-6 slams or if they want to make a difference and be among the best players (or the best?) of all time.

About Martina is not SAD to see her playing after all tennis its a game, how can we be critics of her playing, she is doing for fun, its not like she has nothing else to do, she is rich, she does not need to play tennis to live but she loves tennis, not because you like to play tennis you are a pathetic human being :rolleyes:

DUNEMAN
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:27 PM
@DUNEMAN:

haha, I'm talking experience here. I gave up 10 years of my life to make it in sports. When I didn't succeed in coming back after injury, I had nothing at all. One highschool diploma, and that was it... I fell deeeeeep. Real deep! :bounce: :bounce: I understand completely, I have a knee that needed surgery, which I refused to get, it does not stop me from working, but has slowed my tennis game tremendously. Without backup, I might have been selling crack on the corner right now. I noticed the trend of NBA teams drafting H.S. players, one would hope someone would council them to go to school in the off season. Richard is much smarter tham all of us though. :wavey:

pigam
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I completely understand and agree with him as 'a good dad'
But, his opinion has changed too, no?

We often say V&S (especially Venus) need Richard to fire them on
and to really motivate them, but reading between the lines of this interview
it seems as if he doesn't really cares that much anymore :shrug:

I mean, of course he cares, especially as a father concerned about his daughters
but he seems so much less 'extreme' in the tennisdepartment, no?
He used to say: they win no matter what, but he doesn't say that now...
Maybe the dead of their sisters put things (tennis) (undertably)
even more into perspective in the Willimas family :shrug:

BTW, Am I the only one who feels that a lot of people (press, fans, on-fans)
have 'brushed' the death of there sister aside to easily?
Noone ever mentions it anymore ...

cool bird
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I do understand where Martina is coming from a little bit. But to me it is good that Venus and Serena are not robots who live eat and breath tennis.

But there are girls out there who do and they are young and hungry for wins over top players. Now if the Williams Sisters do want to dominate the sport agin they will have to maybe focous on tennis a little bit more. But at the end of the day it is there lives and up to them.
As Bud Collins once said it up to Venus and Serena if they want to be considered the greatest two tennis players that ever lived or just two very good tennis players

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Iīm with bright red....I think the sisters should realise that in the end it is playing tennis what they do best and should focus more on it.

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM
I really like Richard. Well said!

Joana
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I really don't understand this negativity towards Martina's "return". So what if she's 47? What should she do? Party all night? Have sex all the time? Play golf? Knit? Are all those things soooo much better than playing tennis, especially high quality tennis?
If V&S have interest outside tennis, great for them. If Martina still interest in tennis, again, great for her.

DUNEMAN
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I really don't understand this negativity towards Martina's "return". So what if she's 47? What should she do? Party all night? Have sex all the time? Play golf? Knit? Are all those things soooo much better than playing tennis, especially high quality tennis?
If V&S have interest outside tennis, great for them. If Martina still interest in tennis, again, great for her.

Maybe she should take the same advice she gives, and do her talking on the tennis courts. :p

BigTennisFan
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Assuming they are not doing their best in tennis just because they are not putting their whole attention on it its really bullshit, if that would be true then they are not the champions i thought they were.

Well then there you see if they want to have a career with 4-6 slams or if they want to make a difference and be among the best players (or the best?) of all time.

About Martina is not SAD to see her playing after all tennis its a game, how can we be critics of her playing, she is doing for fun, its not like she has nothing else to do, she is rich, she does not need to play tennis to live but she loves tennis, not because you like to play tennis you are a pathetic human being :rolleyes:
BS. If she had something else to do, she'd be doing it. She can play tennis all she wants. But she is showing that it's the most important thing in her life. And that's fine. But because it's the be all and end all of her life, doesn't mean it has to be that way for Venus and Serena. :fiery:

volta
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:54 AM
BTW, Am I the only one who feels that a lot of people (press, fans, on-fans)
have 'brushed' the death of there sister aside to easily?
Noone ever mentions it anymore ...
yes i donīt know why when people say something bad about the Sisterīs game they never talk about that accident :confused: . i wonder why :rolleyes:

Mr_Molik
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:30 AM
im not a fan of the sisters, but i have to agree with what richard said and admire them for having a life away from tennis

spencercarlos
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:15 AM
BS. If she had something else to do, she'd be doing it. She can play tennis all she wants. But she is showing that it's the most important thing in her life. And that's fine. But because it's the be all and end all of her life, doesn't mean it has to be that way for Venus and Serena. :fiery:
Exactly that is what i said.. itīs up to them and what they want

fifiricci
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM
'I do believe it's important to have some back-up NEXT TO TENNIS. I mean, it's sports, a carreer can be over in a second. If you always gave everything to tennis, you will fall in a big black hole after it... So, I think it's good that Serena and Venus do their things on the side!"

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:I bet he wasnt thinking that broadly when his daughters were teenagers!

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:50 AM
I agree with Richard....The Williams Sisters have made their mark in Tennis. These girls has changed the play of WTA tennis, have made history...and makes me unbelievably proud as an African American. Their names will always be remembered because they are true legends of this sport. I think its good that they are not 100% focused on tennis..yes I would like to see them dominate like they were the past few years, but I would like to see them move on and build their careers in other things as well. If they were to leave the sport today (which I hope they dont lol) to pursue other things I would definately respect their decision.