PDA

View Full Version : Which Grand Slam do you prefer - Roland Garros or Wimbledon?

saphir1
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM
After my last thread, this is really something that interests me. What do you think? Which Grand Slam do you like more? :wavey:

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:06 PM
It is not a question. Wimbledon is the greatest. The question could be - RG or US Open. And the answer is - US Open.

OUT!
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Besides the RG crowd always act like trash.

Nicky2002
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I agree

OUT!
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM
It is not a question. Wimbledon is the greatest.Not so much anymore, the other Slams are held in equal esteem. It's just RG is trashy (contradiction,lol).

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I prefer the Aussie Open above ALL Grand Slams...

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
okay this is my final decision my favourite grand slam is US OPEN but second is definitely wimbledon. so i picked wimbledon

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Not so much anymore, the other Slams are held in equal esteem.
Equal? That's a PC crap, sorry. AO will never be _EQUAL_ to Wimbledon. NEVER. Wimbledon is a pinnacle. Wimbledon is worth as much as any other two Slams together. Perhaps more than 2 AOs.

*roddicksinme*
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
i used to prefer wimbly.....but I would have to say FO now......and I dont see why wimbly is considered the biggest tennis thournament anymore....isnt the USO the best paying slam?

OUT!
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Equal? That's a PC crap, sorry. AO will never be _EQUAL_ to Wimbledon. NEVER. Wimbledon is a pinnacle. Wimbledon is worth as much as any other two Slams together. Perhaps more than 2 AOs.Well certainly the Spaniards don't think so - RG is the one to win for them. :)

OUT!
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:32 PM
i used to prefer wimbly.....but I would have to say FO now......and I dont see why wimbly is considered the biggest tennis thournament anymore....isnt the USO the best paying slam?It's not about money, it's about prestige and the history and all that. Well that's what ppl say over here anyway. Disagree with it though.

KV
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Wimbledon

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Well certainly the Spaniards don't think so - RG is the one to win for them. :)
That's just because they can't win anything else. Natural. Should JCF have won last USO, it could have been a different tune already.

Nastyafan
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Roland Garros :angel: :bounce: :bigclap: :yeah: :inlove:

Wimbledon :rain: :devil: :mad: :bigcry: :sad:

Task
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I judge all slams on a case by case basis.

If my faves do good: Good slam

If my faves do bad: Bad slam

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
i used to prefer wimbly.....but I would have to say FO now......and I dont see why wimbly is considered the biggest tennis thournament anymore....isnt the USO the best paying slam?
not at the current exchange rate...the Wimby women's champ will get a little over $1,020,000 while the USO women's champ get's $1,000,000 :p

Spunky83
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I judge all slams on a case by case basis.

If my faves do good: Good slam

If my faves do bad: Bad slam

This must be what Nastyafan thought;)...uhm, though of course Miss Myskina won the FO (which is commonly known as the hardest GS of all the four), I still stick to Wimbledon (even the rain looks better than at other GS)...

Judging to Task (faves do good = good slam), I should really hate Wimbledon and love all the other ones (Justine and Nastya :clap2: )

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
everyone acts like it doesn't rain at the other slams...didn't we have 4 days washout at the USO last year? :o

Spunky83
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:02 PM
everyone acts like it doesn't rain at the other slams...didn't we have 4 days washout at the USO last year? :o

Oh...YEAH...

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:02 PM
This must be what Nastyafan thought;)...uhm, though of course Miss Myskina won the FO (which is commonly known as the hardest GS of all the four), I still stick to Wimbledon (even the rain looks better than at other GS)...

Judging to Task (faves do good = good slam), I should really hate Wimbledon and love all the other ones (Justine and Nastya :clap2: )
"hardest"? depends who you are talking about. for one slam wonders, it's definitely the easiest :)

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Exactly. And those lazy morons don't even bother to have the tarps, so even after rain has stopped it takes them an hour and a ridicolouos amount of slave labour to dry up even the first court.

And Wimbledon washouts rarely affect the outcome of the tournament and they don't use those washouts to help local favourites. Last year US Open washouts just helped USO organizers to make Roddick a champion.

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Not so much anymore, the other Slams are held in equal esteem. It's just RG is trashy (contradiction,lol).

RG is no more trashy than the US Open. In fact, the crowds at both behave as badly as each other, but RG has the classier atmosphere... it's not as commercial or tacky.

I like watching clay court tennis best of all, but I get to go to Wimbledon every year so really, I prefer Wimbledon.

I'd definitely call RG and Wimbledon the two most prestigious Slams, though that doesn't mean you've got to be a better player to win them - I mean, during the late 90s virtually no top men were elite players on grass at all, allowing certain others to clean up at Wimbledon.

Leo_DFP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:21 PM
It is not a question. Wimbledon is the greatest. The question could be - RG or US Open. And the answer is - US Open.
It's called having an opinion. "Wimbledon is the greatest" is not a fact.

Leo_DFP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM
"hardest"? depends who you are talking about. for one slam wonders, it's definitely the easiest :)
For players lacking in smarts and actual strategy, it's definitely the hardest.

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM
It's called having an opinion. "Wimbledon is the greatest" is not a fact. It is. Ask ITF. Ask Atp. Ask WTA. Ask greatest players in history. ASk Sampras. Ask Agassi. Ask Becker. Ask Borg. Ask Navratilova, Graf, Court. 90% of players will agree that Wimbledon is the pinnacle of the sport. The other 10% will probably speak Spanish.

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:26 PM
For players lacking in smarts and actual strategy, it's definitely the hardest.disagree :o

the smartest player of this generation has never won the French.

Nastyafan
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Of course that's the main reason now but I have said that I hate Wimby before this black friday. What can I like here - the grass, the rain, their stupid traiditions or the Acesfest. I hate this boring tennis here and obviously my favs never do well here because they don't play it.

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
^ coincidence all ur faves are European? :o

Leo_DFP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:30 PM
It is. Ask ITF. Ask Atp. Ask WTA. Ask greatest players in history. ASk Sampras. Ask Agassi. Ask Becker. Ask Borg. 90% of players will agree that Wimbledon is the pinnacle of the sport. The other 10% will probably speak Spanish.
That's the point. Even if most of the tour thinks Wimbledon is the best, not everyone agrees. They have different opinions because it is a quesiton of opinion and judgment.

Why would I ask Sampras or Becker? Sampras never came remotely close to winning in Paris and Becker never even won a clay court tournament. :lol: And Agassi didn't even bother going to Wimbledon in his early years so obviously that shows how much respect he has for the supposed greatest tournament in the world.

And your stereotyping of Spanish players and their preferences is really pathetic. When Nadal wins the US Open and Wimbledon one day, I hope you feel stupid.

propi
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM
That's just because they can't win anything else. Natural. Should JCF have won last USO, it could have been a different tune already.:bs: That view isn't in Spanish minds, it's in all of those who still think Spanish speakers can just win on clay

Roland Garros> Wimbledon= Aus Open> USO

Leo_DFP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM
disagree :o

the smartest player of this generation has never won the French.
True, but she failed dued to mental weakness. Her head did let her down in the end.

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM
That's the point. Even if most of the tour thinks Wimbledon is the best, not everyone agrees. They have different opinions because it is a quesiton of opinion and judgment.
Not everyone also agrees that people should not eat people. Some people still eat other people. It doesn't change the fact that it's the best not to eat people.

Why would I ask Sampras or Becker? Sampras never came remotely close to winning in Paris and Becker never even won a clay court tournament.

Simply because they are among the best ever. Name your best ever players with 5+ Slams. We'll tank about that.

:lol: And Agassi didn't even bother going to Wimbledon in his early years so obviously that shows how much respect he has for the supposed greatest tournament in the world.
It shows how much respect he HAD for Wimbledon when he was young an stupid. And there are plenty of recent quotes from him saying that Wimbledon is the best. Don't make me look for them. You know as well as me that he said that.

And your stereotyping of Spanish players and their preferences is really pathetic. When Nadal wins the US Open and Wimbledon one day, I hope you feel stupid.
I will feel glad as I always feel when I see people liberating themselves from self-imposed limitations.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM
French
Wimbledon
US Open
Australian Open

Spunky83
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:16 PM
^ coincidence all ur faves are European? :o

No, again not right...absolutely love Andy "Duck" Roddick (not counting his Sprem-thing) and again: He plays horribly at the FO, my other (european) faves donīt...it doesnīt matter. I still love Wimby and I donīt care from which country my faves are coming from (FedCup/DavisCup may be a different thing though).

Spunky83
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:17 PM
For players lacking in smarts and actual strategy, it's definitely the hardest.

:lol:

JoeB_UK
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:19 PM
gotta be french open, i loved it before i got the chance to go there. but ive been to both wimby and roland garros, and i prefer rg. alot better atmosphere and its great!

FanDeJen
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Roland Garros!!!!! Is The Best!!!!!!!!

Belgium = Best
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Roland Garros :)

:wavey: