PDA

View Full Version : Ted Watts Smile & Smirk - After Awarding the POINT!

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I tend to agree with that idea.He probably knew that he gave her an extra point,but decided not to correct it,for whatever reasons.that smile...that smirk :rolleyes: ...bothers me.

This Man Knew!

Andrew.
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM
He was smirking the entire match.

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
I think he was smirking at Karolina who was looking at him with a look of sheer puzzlement on her face and it was an awkward smile at her.

His look said, "go ahead baby, keep doing what you doing, here's a gift"

and a kiss :kiss:

Take another look.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
His look said, "go ahead baby, keep doing what you doing, here's a gift"

and a kiss :kiss:

Take another look. Maybe that dirty old man has a crush on sperm :eek: :p

Petersmiler
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah, he knew. I bet he thought 'Right, this girl's cute I'll give her an extra point. Nobody will notice, it's not like it's a packed centre court with the eyes of the whole world on me! I probably won't even lose my job.'

For gods sake, please drop the conspiracies!

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Well I don't think he did that. Look at the worldwide abuse he is taking from TV and media, and he has been sacked and probably will never umpire again ---> just to give her a point in a match she was winning??

I do not think so. Only gifts Sprem was getting were Venus errors during the match and Venus not taking her 5 sp's.

Actually, he made more than one error!

He let her continue to serve from the same side. He was absolutely smitten with Sprem. Granted she is a pretty girl. (and i don't blame her) Yet, he's quite cheesy.

He should have caught himself. Nonetheless, they HAVE him on tape. They are replaying that OVER and OVER. They see he had ample room to catch himself, but he didn't.

Now, his career is Finished.

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:30 PM
He's going to have alot to answer to.Richard's silence,is just the calm before the storm!!! This is the same umpire who watched Zvereva,4years ago, stick both middle fingers up in the direction of Vee and Serena, as she was leaving the court.this was after a doubles match.He SAW.He never reported it to his superiors,and was later questioned about his decision.Makes me sick!!!!

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM
How do you know he saw her gesture? And Zvereva didn't do it to Serena and Venus anyway, so you could not be more wrong. I saw it happen, I didn't read it second hand from some article. How do u know he didn't???:rolleyes: She certainly didn't do it to the crowd,or to him!!!!!:lol: :lol: Be real!!!!! No big deal,though.Life goes on for Vee and Serena.They each have 2 Wimbly titles.Let's see Sprem try and get hers!!!:tape:

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM
So did Venus and that's why she is out - not because of this one point.

Don't get bitchy, its not becoming. It's all good, he's finished. That what you get when you cheat a Williams. I'm glad it happened. Makes the future upcoming umpires honest.

Cheat and you are fired!

Lovely concept wouldn't you agree?

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Now, his career is Finished.
Nope he'd already made several serious mistakes in the past, yet he managed to end up on center stage of the world's most prestigious tennis event.

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I wasn't being bitchy or didn't mean to come across that way but Venus did make too many errors and it cost her more than this one point is all I am saying.

I don't think he cheated but he does deserve to be punished for his terrible error.

Yeah, but all it took was ONE POINT! and she could have taken the match.

WorldWar24
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:54 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I am not just arguing with you for the sake of it. Seriously it was the crowd. I am being real - I posted the article. Let's not tarnish Natasha's name here, she would never do that to Venus and Serena. Go to wtafan.com.Look under news headline,Court &Social. That article says she did it to V&S.Conflicting report,from the one you posted.Sorry.I read yours after.Don't really care which way it happened.It shouldn't have been done!!!!;)

Master Lu
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Don't get bitchy, its not becoming. It's all good, he's finished. That what you get when you cheat a Williams. I'm glad it happened. Makes the future upcoming umpires honest.

Cheat and you are fired!

Lovely concept wouldn't you agree?
Oh come on! He made a serious error, had a lapse of concentration or whatever you want to call it, but I can't see how you can possibly think he deliberately threw away his career for one point in a match. Or do you think he's actually so dense as to think no one would notice!?!? :rolleyes:

You really need to get out of the conspiracy mode once in a while. The world doesn't actually revolve around Venus and Serena, and there is no great conspiracy against them. If there was, don't you think they would have been gone by now? Great tennis players they are, but goddesses they ain't.

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Oh come on! He made a serious error, had a lapse of concentration or whatever you want to call it, but I can't see how you can possibly think he deliberately threw away his career for one point in a match. Or do you think he's actually so dense as to think no one would notice!?!? :rolleyes:

Yup, Idiot man was too into Sprem, and it cost him dearly. Men are know for this you know. Look at Clinton.

You really need to get out of the conspiracy mode once in a while. The world doesn't actually revolve around Venus and Serena, and there is no great conspiracy against them. If there was, don't you think they would have been gone by now? Great tennis players they are, but goddesses they ain't.

But is does Ms. LU! it Does!

Beat a Williams and get great accolades. They have a strangehold on tennis as we know it. You better recognize.

Because of this Venus can continue with her career as if the match was gifted upon Sprem.

Besides, I didn't say they were goddesses you did - But who am I to argue?

Master Lu
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Yup, Idiot man was too into Sprem, and it cost him dearly. Men are know for this you know. Look at Clinton.
Clinton didn't count on being found out. This guy had the whole tennis world watching him!

But is does Ms. LU! it Does!
I'll just assume you're joking here. Otherwise it would just be too sad.

Beat a Williams and get great accolades. They have a strangehold on tennis as we know it. You better recognize.
Are they two of the best players around? Yes. Are they the best ever (comparative to their time, of course). Sorry, not yet. Are they the alpha and omega? Ummm, no.

Because of this Venus can continue with her career as if the match was gifted upon Sprem.
You do realize that Karolina would continue with her career had she lost this match just the same, right?

Besides, I didn't say they were goddesses you did - But who am I to argue?
I assumed you know english well enough to follow. I shouldn't have. Not everybody needs to know english perfectly. My bad. What I sad was that she is not a goddess. It's just that some people are calling them that, which I don't have a problem with, but some behave as if they really believe that, which, well, is not exactly sane. In fact, I think Venus and Serena would very much object to that. They're monotheist, after all. ;)

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Everyone on NBC, Carillo, McEnroe all seem to think that Sprem fully knew that she was the beneficiary of a point and didn't say anything.

RainyDays
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Maybe for a 'BJ' he would.

Come on people, this could have happened afterwards. Look at the smirks. HIS smirk/eyebrows bothered the hell out of me. They both knew what was going on.
I'm not actually SAYING she payed him any favors after the match, but hey, you never know. This is life.

Although, she DID outplay Venus. I'll give her that.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Venus LOST, cos the other player played BETTER.

is it that hard to accept?

GoDominique
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:43 PM
It was a "Don't worry baby, I know my tennis and it's 3-2, although I wonder why everyone is looking at me in disbelief" smile and smirk.

RainyDays
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Ok, my last post was kinda....harsh i guess.
I dont blame Venus's loss on this one point. I blame it on Sprem's tennis. Sprem played GREAT. No fear at all. Good for her in that area.
I think the Ump just wanted to help her out. The Ump 'liked' her.

In all seriousness, Sprem saved those set points and produced a great match for the fans. Good luck to her.

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Venus LOST, cos the other player played BETTER.

is it that hard to accept?

No!

But is is clear she had help - and AWARDING a point in a tiebreak is the best help you can get.

the Umpire knew and Sprem knew. That's Dishonesty.

There is no place in this sport for that kind of behavior.

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I think he just knew that he had done something wrong, but didn't know what he did, and Sprem was looking at him like, "What's going on?" and all he could do was smirk in embarassment because he had no idea.

Those damn British, so freakin' polite. Commentators said that only at Center Court Wimbledon would an entire crowd be silent at an obvious score error. That umpire would have been yelled at at the US Open and assaulted at Roland Garros.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM
No!

But is is clear she had help - and AWARDING a point in a tiebreak is the best help you can get.

the Umpire knew and Sprem knew. That's Dishonesty.

There is no place in this sport for that kind of behavior.

Venus would have taken the point if it is was the other way.

And how can you KNOW that K-Lina knew, and at the same time KNOW that venus didnt?

GoDominique
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:54 PM
A few people in the stands were shouting something but no one cared on the court.

BTW at Roland Garros Gaudio served from the wrong side in the SF against Nalbandian and NO ONE in the crowd said a word.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I think he just knew that he had done something wrong, but didn't know what he did, and Sprem was looking at him like, "What's going on?" and all he could do was smirk in embarassment because he had no idea.

Those damn British, so freakin' polite. Commentators said that only at Center Court Wimbledon would an entire crowd be silent at an obvious score error. That umpire would have been yelled at at the US Open and assaulted at Roland Garros.

on BBC after the game John McEnroe asked people to consider what HE would have said if he had lost a point that way... you can also imagine the outburst in your head!

:lol:

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Venus would have taken the point if it is was the other way.

And how can you KNOW that K-Lina knew, and at the same time KNOW that venus didnt?

Beat it creep!

Venus and Serena are many things but they are Not Cheats!!!!

Why don't you go lick your wounds over your broken heart. I see why a Tour player cannot love you.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Venus should have KNOWN it was wrong when she was serving from the wrong side... you could see for a moment she wasnt sure, but she chose to play on... and dont forget she had 3 set points... one point scored wrong wasnt the reason she lost!

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Venus should have KNOWN it was wrong when she was serving from the wrong side... you could see for a moment she wasnt sure, but she chose to play on... and dont forget she had 3 set points... one point scored wrong wasnt the reason she lost!

One point given back would have taken it to 3 sets.

GoSandrine
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Let's burn Watts at the stake. :fiery:

...or maybe we should behead him and serve him on a plate to Serena after she wins.

:spit:

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:39 PM
One point given back would have taken it to 3 sets. Hmmmm...............

If Sprem hadn't gotten that point, then Venus would still have won 4 straight points to be up 6-1, but she still would have dropped 6 straight points to have Sprem up 7/6.

Sprem was given an extra point, a point wasn't taken away from Venus. That what many are missing. They think that a point was subtracted from Venus' tiebreak score and given to Sprem and therefore Venus would have won the tiebreak 7/2, but thats not the case. Venus still would have gone up to six points in the tiebreak, but due to Venus' errors, Sprem would have come back with 5 straight points to be ahead 7/6 in the tiebreak.

Venus would have had to convert before Sprem got to 6/6 to win the second set tiebreak, and I'm not prepared to say that she would have. Now, she may have just as easily came back on Sprem at 7/6 and won the tiebreak 9/7, but the umpire's bad call would not have affected her.

Venus would not have had 1 more chance to win the set becuase Sprem would have already been a 6/all by the time Venus would be in a position to use that "phantom" point, and Venus would have had to win 1 more point anyway to win the set 8-6.

IEW, Venus would have lost anyway. She was playing horribly.

Ballbuster
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:57 AM
.. She was playing horribly.

Doesn't matter, she was still docked. Would you like for someone to dock your check?

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Doesn't matter, she was still docked. Would you like for someone to dock your check?
If I was doing my job horribly!!!! http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif (j/k)

Martian KC
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Oh gawd, this will never end! I predict that they will start blaming the grass for being so green next.

CC
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:17 AM
The man is famous now. He can write a book, "The Point That Ended My Career." I wonder if it would sell.

cronos
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I`ll say it again, why are there any male umpires at the women`s game ? I have not seen any female umpires at the men`s game. If so, let the female umpires do the men`s game as well. Rant ova:)

An error like that should make you take out an ad in the newspaper saying I am taking a nap while working.

Hmmmm...............

If Sprem hadn't gotten that point, then Venus would still have won 4 straight points to be up 6-1, but she still would have dropped 6 straight points to have Sprem up 7/6.

Sprem was given an extra point, a point wasn't taken away from Venus. That what many are missing. They think that a point was subtracted from Venus' tiebreak score and given to Sprem and therefore Venus would have won the tiebreak 7/2, but thats not the case. Venus still would have gone up to six points in the tiebreak, but due to Venus' errors, Sprem would have come back with 5 straight points to be ahead 7/6 in the tiebreak.

Venus would have had to convert before Sprem got to 6/6 to win the second set tiebreak, and I'm not prepared to say that she would have. Now, she may have just as easily came back on Sprem at 7/6 and won the tiebreak 9/7, but the umpire's bad call would not have affected her.

Venus would not have had 1 more chance to win the set becuase Sprem would have already been a 6/all by the time Venus would be in a position to use that "phantom" point, and Venus would have had to win 1 more point anyway to win the set 8-6.

IEW, Venus would have lost anyway. She was playing horribly.

gweeny
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:46 AM
The man is famous now. He can write a book, "The Point That Ended My Career." I wonder if it would sell.

:lol:

Infamy always makes you more popular. I defintely did not know who Tedd Watts was till his major error. I don't even think I can name any other umpire by name. I think I only know Sandra De Jenkins (because I think it is a pretty name)